• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 13th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Here's Charizard's new special attack, Flare Blitz. It's a very powerful attack--however, you'll take recoil damage if you make contact. Pretty true to the original game, huh? Flare Blitz is Charizard's side special move, and Rock Smash is the down special move."

He also included a second picture saying "And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash."

Last edited by a moderator:

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Don't worry, Mega Charizard Y will probably be a trophy or something.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ahh. So the wrath of rock smash returns? That's kinda surprising.

Here's hoping flare blitz will make a nice alternative recovery option for charizard players out there.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Not the biggest fan of recoil damage. Hopefully either it does more than enough damage to make up for that fault. If not then hopefully there will be a custom variation of the move that will alleviate that issue.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm actually happy Rock Smash is kept. Call me crazy, but I used Rock Smash on my Charizard for awhile back in FireRed. :p

Flare Blitz? Sounds like something better could've been in instead but that's me

Last edited:

WPHP

Smash Rookie
I never really liked Charizard in Brawl or PM, so I don't really care that he is a character in Smash 4. He is still one of the coolest Pokemon though.

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
Charizard X looks so good! Gives me chills. Sakurai is showing off the fire type moves, but hopefully he'll show some more love to Charizard's flying dual type than he did in Brawl.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Rock smash still in? Yes,it was easily charizard's best move so,glad it makes a return.

And his new side b, flare blitz, seems like it will closely resembled an uncharged pichu's skull bash from melee

I'm disappointed they couldn't implement charizard y into his final smash along side with his x form.Maybe it will be selectable an an alternate costume or something.Here's hoping.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
We don't know if Rock Smash is the same deal, folks. It's a new design team. They probably changed it.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Knowing Sakurai, he probably changed it so that Zard can't even break the rock anymore. It will just be a self-damage move.:troll:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
We don't know if Rock Smash is the same deal, folks. It's a new design team. They probably changed it.
The fact that it has Rock Smash to begin with is stupid, as it's not a move many associate with this Pokemon, nor is it a useful move.

Why couldn't he just have air Slash, or Dragon Claw, or something?

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
I was under the impression that rock smash was one of Charizard's better moves. Big damage and knockback, so it has incredible KO potential if it hits, with total possible damage of 45%

Flare Blitz looks cool as well; hopefully it's not just shield grab bait though.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Of course that's his final smash, Idk why people questioned it. Flare blitz looks cool. I guess we gotta use it sparingly. I liked rock smash, it was a good powerful move.

Toa Idar

Banned via Warnings
I wonder if Mega Charizard will go green if you use his Shiny apperance as a skin. Shiny Mega Charizard X is green in the games:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
The fact that it has Rock Smash to begin with is stupid, as it's not a move many associate with this Pokemon, nor is it a useful move.

Flare Blitz is also not really associated as Charizard's disappointing Atk stat renders it as eh.
Anyway you naysayer:
2:38-4:30, 8:34-9:20. At 9:04-9:10, your argument becomes invalid. There are more vids like this too.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO HYPE!!!!!!!!! LOOKS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pant
:tired:

Hong

The Strongest

Not as stupid as Ness using like only one of his actual abilities. At least Charizard can learn it.
I was under the impression that rock smash was one of Charizard's better moves. Big damage and knockback, so it has incredible KO potential if it hits, with total possible damage of 45%

Flare Blitz looks cool as well; hopefully it's not just shield grab bait though.
It's not a matter of whether or not the attack was strong or not, so much as people prefer that special moves are actually... special. Rock Smash in Brawl may as well be a smash attack.

Now I am hoping there is some utility involved, like maybe the boulder is instead sent hurdling towards the opponent.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
All Charizard's changes look good so far to me.

Still waiting for Dthrow confirmation.......

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Honestly the update I've been waiting for. Charizard Main Hype!

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's kind of stupid the backlash that this move received, it was a very good move back in Brawl. Never understood why they removed it in Project M.

INB4 SAKURAI Y U SO UNFAITHFUL!!

Not as stupid as Ness using like only one of his actual abilities. At least Charizard can learn it.
It's not a matter of whether or not the attack was strong or not, so much as people prefer that special moves are actually... special. Rock Smash in Brawl may as well be a smash attack.

Now I am hoping there is some utility involved, like maybe the boulder is instead sent hurdling towards the opponent.
I have to ask, what dictates whether a move "should" be special or not? And the matter that you are addressing, is purely subjective. There is nothing wrong with the move as it is and of course there are going to be people who would prefer a lot of other moves over others; but with the 4 special limit moveset there are bound to be disappointments. Most of them unreasonable.
Performance should be preferable in this case and considering that this is one of Charizard's best moves, people oughta be happy about it. At least the ones who don't act as overzealous purists pointing out that a move is "unfaithful" or "unfitting".

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I'd change Rock Smash to Flame Burst or something... Like the same effect, just fire instead of rock... Even though he CAN learn it, it's not a signature move... it doesn't make sense to give a charizard that move... especially while this charizard isn't accompanied by a dull trainer who would be stupid enough to teach it Rock Smash in the first place.

The attack looks lame... Like a rock just magically appears in his claws to smash it with its head. Flare Blitz does recoil damage, but smashing a rock with your head seems less painfull? The logic...

Anyways, it does damage, but does it mean it will raise your damage percentage? cuz it seems like he's only getting some knockback from the impact... not actually damage... I hope it's not both in any case.

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
The old boss-killer move returns, eh? Flare Blitz must be REALLY strong if it has recoil and RS doesn't.

Ike_n_Ike

Smash Cadet
First glance at POTD and I was like: "ZOMG FALCON"...

But then Charizard... That's okay though! I really like the look of flare blits, given that from gifs it has decent knockback I think it might make up for the damage taken. I always enjoyed Ike and I know his Neut-B was extremely effective even when you accidently let two many frames tic by and took that extra 10% damage, so i'm not too concerned with the self-inflicted damage being deal breaker.

I also don't know why people hated rock smash, it was an excellent addition to Charizard's moveset in brawl.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I must be the only one who was more concerned with the leaves blowing around the attack than the attack itself... I think we've seen those before, but I can't tell if that's a stage element or an effect from some kind of attack (*cough* Sceptile *cough*)

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
Pikachu doesn't learn Skull Bash.

THAT MOVE ISN'T SPECIAL ENOUGH.

Anyways, why should it matter if a Pokemon learns a move, or if it's "iconic" to that Pokemon? Smash hasn't been known to stick to canon before, and Rock Smash isn't that bad. I'm not saying nobody can dislike it but, still lol.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'd change Rock Smash to Flame Burst or something... Like the same effect, just fire instead of rock... Even though he CAN learn it, it's not a signature move... it doesn't make sense to give a charizard that move... especially while this charizard isn't accompanied by a dull trainer who would be stupid enough to teach it Rock Smash in the first place.
Pokemonverse's Rock Smash =/= Smashverse's Rock Smash.

The move is god awful in the pokemon games. In smash, is a high-damaging devastating move.
And you can't really apply that kind of logic in a game where other characters pull objects out of nowhere to attack.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I knew that move in saw in the Direct was Flare Blitz! :chuckle:

Nice to know that Rock Smash will be back, that move is too dang fun.

Top Bottom