• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - May 13th

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not a matter of whether or not the attack was strong or not, so much as people prefer that special moves are actually... special. Rock Smash in Brawl may as well be a smash attack.
*Points at Marth, Zamus, Lil' Mac*
There's probably more actually, who have 'special' attacks that would fit right in as basic attacks.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Who is being sent flying alongside Diddy in this picture? I can't quite tell who that is...
I think it's Greninja's Substitute... which, if true, would mean very powerful moves could break through it.

Also, I just noticed Charizard falls prone after landing Flare Blitz - so it's not just recoil, it's lost time and potentially a free kill in doubles. I like moves like this where you have to be judicious with their use.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Rock Smash was a special move because it:

1.-Blocked any incoming attack once the rock was out.
2.-The smashing itself caused damage.
3.-Sent short ranged stone projectiles ahead.
(If both the rock smash, and the projectiles hit, we're looking at some very high damage caused by one move that has little cooldown)

It was way too good to be a smash attack. Like a counter that didn't need to be triggered by the opponent.

Anyway. Nothing Charizard related makes up for the removal of P.T. for me, so bleh. :p The character is still cool, but I no longer care.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Lol, idk why Charizard has Rock Smash. If we're basing Charizard on the pokemon games, then Rock Smash has little relevance and wasn't even necessary in pokemon XY. It's also a super subpar move due to its base 40 power. Also, Charizard is focused mainly on Special Attack, and Rock Smash is a physical move. It's only in the SSB series that it's good. There are a bunch of other moves Charizard could use. Fire Blast, Air Slash, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, etc. As Charizard Y he has Solar Beam and as Charizard X a whole host of Dragon moves like Dragon Claw. Also don't like Charizard X not being an alternative skin and being a Final Smash.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The real question is will Fly still be his Up Special now that Flare Blitz is a horizontal version of the same move?

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Flare Blitz is also not really associated as Charizard's disappointing Atk stat renders it as eh.
Anyway you naysayer:
2:38-4:30, 8:34-9:20. At 9:04-9:10, your argument becomes invalid. There are more vids like this too.
If you're running charizard with x stone you'd better have flare blitz
130 base attack +30% + stab isn't "eh".

Adond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adond
3DS FC
4055-4803-1437
I can see this move being useless for some reasons *cough recoil damage cough* :yeahboi:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Well at least that move do exact thing in the video game, super strong move and knock and damage to yourself.
But why pikachu Skull bash Dont do the same thing?! In the game, Skull Bash give you Defense in the game, in Smash need to be super Armor at least and be powerful as Flare Blitz, seriusly that move need a reboot.

I really Like charizard final Smash be X because its look more Bulky and intimating than Y the Praise the sun and breathing dragon only!

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Pokemonverse's Rock Smash =/= Smashverse's Rock Smash.

The move is god awful in the pokemon games. In smash, is a high-damaging devastating move.
And you can't really apply that kind of logic in a game where other characters pull objects out of nowhere to attack.
ye dont have to tell me how awfull it is in pkmn games compared to the strange effect of it in smash... i know that ^^

Logic is far to be sought after in smash, but when it comes to making logical decisions, I cannot place the rocksmash attack above any other close combat-flame attack charizard can also have.

Just ignore the logic-part about the magical appearing rock, but think about WHY THE HELL he would pick rock smash... and no, it's not because of the word smash that is in it.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Awesome! Charizard gets Flare Blitz as his new Side Special! Personally, I never liked Rock Smash, so this is a very welcome change.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Well at least that move do exact thing in the video game, super strong move and knock and damage to yourself.
But why pikachu Skull bash Dont do the same thing?! In the game, Skull Bash give you Defense in the game, in Smash need to be super Armor at least and be powerful as Flare Blitz, seriusly that move need a reboot.

I really Like charizard final Smash be X because its look more Bulky and intimating than Y the Praise the sun and breathing dragon only!
you know that his mega Y form praises the sun at instance? (his ability is drought)

Awesome! Charizard gets Flare Blitz as his new Side Special! Personally, I never liked Rock Smash, so this is a very welcome change.
Rock Smash is now his down B

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's kind of stupid the backlash that this move received, it was a very good move back in Brawl. Never understood why they removed it in Project M.
It wasn't really removed in Project M but rather replace with Heat Wave while pretty much doing the same thing.

To quote the PM site;

Side-Special is a brand new move called Heat Wave that replaces Brawl's Rock Smash. Heat Wave is a risky move that creates a brief wall of flames before him. The closer the foe is to the blast point, the more damage and knockback they will take. It is a situational move that requires good timing and spacing.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I can see this move being useless for some reasons *cough recoil damage cough* :yeahboi:
Unlike, oh let's say Pichu, Charizard is heavy, and only ONE of his moves, so far cause recoil damage. I'm putting my money on it being the most spammed move on release.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Well, I like Flare Blitz, but the Final Smash... there are a lot of transformation FS's so far. I'm not against them, but I don't want nearly every FS to be a transforming one.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
The lot of you complaining about Rock Smash never once though outside the box, have you? I'm glad they kept it. It was pretty useful when used right.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
With rock smash being a down special, I can't help but wonder if it'll have some new defensive utility. Perhaps the rock will act as a shield before it breaks? I'm not sure how useful this would be, but hopefully the move gets enough tweaks for it to be more interesting than how it has been in Brawl.

I'm imagine that Flare Blitz would be his main finisher moves. It covers a ridiculous distance judging from the Greninja trailer, so I see it akin to PM Wario's forward special. As long as its knockback is strong enough to kill at relatively low percents, it could be very useful.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
With rock smash being a down special, I can't help but wonder if it'll have some new defensive utility. Perhaps the rock will act as a shield before it breaks? I'm not sure how useful this would be, but hopefully the move gets enough tweaks for it to be more interesting than how it has been in Brawl.
It already did that in Brawl.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Really like these models for Charizard. Flare Blitz looks beautiful.

Last edited:

Adond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adond
3DS FC
4055-4803-1437
Unlike, oh let's say Pichu, Charizard is heavy, and only ONE of his moves, so far cause recoil damage. I'm putting my money on it being the most spammed move on release.
i know thats why i putted the shaq emote because it was sarcasm :denzel:

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
Charizard Set: EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP.
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze / Tough Claws

- Fly (Flying STAB, also good for recovery)
- Flamethrower (Special Fire STAB, not sure why this is here)
- Flare Blitz (Main Fire Physical STAB, beware with recoil damage)
- Rock Smash (Fighting Coverage Move)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I wonder if Flamethrower will be his side special.

Vashimus

Smash Master
"Mega Charizard X, that's what they call me.
Man they used to say I sucked, now they want me like an early copy."

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The best explanation I can think of for why he has Rock Smash (not that it needs one) is because he's a starter, and it makes sense for first-timers or casual players of Pokemon to put their HMs on the Pokemon they're going to bring with them through the entirety of the game. Not everybody uses dedicated 'HM Slaves' or builds their Pokemon to be the very best PVP machine.

Besides, what's not cool about making him smash his head into a rock? It's such a satisfying move!

Rock Smash is like, Charizard's manliest move in Brawl. Sometimes when I use it I just yell out ROCK SMASH in a deep voice for added testosterone.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Pikachu doesn't learn Skull Bash.

THAT MOVE ISN'T SPECIAL ENOUGH.

Anyways, why should it matter if a Pokemon learns a move, or if it's "iconic" to that Pokemon? Smash hasn't been known to stick to canon before, and Rock Smash isn't that bad. I'm not saying nobody can dislike it but, still lol.
But Pikachu could learn Skull Bash by TM in Red/Blue...

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
I don't see the problem with rock smash. I think people are having more trouble with it being logical.

Argument
Where does he get a giant rock?
Response
Where does link keep those bombs, or mario get his water for the flood?

Argument
He can learn the move in pkm, but why would you teach it to him?
Response
It's always good to have an off type move incase you get into a tight spot. Also this charizard was trained up for this contest, so the trainer made sure it was ready for anything ;)

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Dat flare blitz move looked like Captain Falcon "Falco Kick" / Down B special move.

looked @ this pic in my small iphone screen thinking it MUST BE CAPTAIN FALCON
OOO
M
G!
-_-
DAM U SAKURAI !!!!!!

Top Bottom