• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - March 25th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Here's a comparison of characters with and without their outlines on the 3DS version. They also give off a different impression in 3D, so customize the look however you like."

Last edited by a moderator:

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Still so hard to tell which is better....

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I always love seeing the HUD displays and player tags. They make it feel like this game is really upon us.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Personally, I prefer the left image, and prefer no outlines. I actually think it would make it easier to see the characters without it than with.

Also, anyone notice that due to the lighting, Link's color looks similar to his Wii U version? Battlefield's evening time surely does change Link's color; I wonder if it affects other characters, too.

S

Sharic X

Mario: So Link, how's it going?
Link: Oh nothing...just staring into space.
Mario: Cool. Me too.

... ...

OUTLINE DIMENSION SHIFT!

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
Lol, you guys are all just saying that the no-outlines one looks better out of principle. The outlines do make a visual difference, because the player model colors can be differentiated from the background easier. You can still see the characters, obviously, but the details around the edges kind of fade into the backdrop on the 3DS's relatively low resolution (compared to a WiiU).

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Lol, you guys are all just saying that the no-outlines one looks better out of principle. The outlines do make a visual difference, because the player model colors can be differentiated from the background easier. You can still see the characters, obviously, but the details around the edges kind of fade into the backdrop on the 3DS's relatively low resolution (compared to a WiiU).
Yeah, but I do not want the characters looking like paper cutouts!

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
both options have their benefits...
No outlines looks nices and more natural and i believe it would be best suitable for the 3DS XL.
With outlines ON, i'd say it works better for the smaller screen 3DS which most people probably have... It would be better to see the characters...

But how come people here talk about different colours of outlines and rainbow patterns n stuff? It was confirmed weeks/months ago outlines would be optional, but not costumisable... only the borderthickness... not the colors and patterns...

Bamboo

Smash Rookie
From a blind dude perspective like myself who cant see things far away or near to me without glasses, the left is cool if i got the 3ds super close to my face and the outlines are great if your playing with the screen farther away from my face.

Vision problems :rob:

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
Even though we already new this, its still cool we get to see some side by side comparisons.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I never play my games in 3D. I think I'll stick with the thick lines, though. I can only imagine playing on a small screen is going to be something like playing on New Pork CIty in SSBB, which is kind of the reason I won't be taking the 3DS version as seriously on a competitive level as I will with the WiiU version.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think there must've been some sort of translation problem with the "customize" bit, but either way, nice to see a side by side comparison. Wonder what the screen shot looks like pulled up on my 3DS...

MelchizedekVD

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-4632-2309
I think that the customization is a cool new unique part of the game. I dig the outlines, for some reason it just fits and defines them on the DS screen.

On another subject, does anyone suppose there will be same connection to streetpass? It would be really cool to connect and fight nearby opponents in some way.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm sure streetpass will be integrated in some way, but who knows what they'll do with it.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I won't be getting the 3DS version as I don't own a 3DS myself. I'll be getting the Wii U version though. My friends, Here's to hoping that the online is robust. No lag, player and ranked matches separate, smash player card customizable kind of like Brawl, Leaderboards for matches as well as target smash and modes, being able to play co OP modes online with people, maybe even voice chat, and a King of the hill mode where 6 people spectate and 2 people fight and the loser swaps out while the winner stays. A man can dream can't he?

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I see why they're going for a cel-shaded look on the characters for the 3DS game. It really does make the characters stand out more, and make them easier to keep track of. But now we have confirmation that anyone who dislikes the outlines can turn them off, which is a nice option.

...And it raises a few more questions about those Palutena screenshots that made the rounds back around the holidays...

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I see why they're going for a cel-shaded look on the characters for the 3DS game. It really does make the characters stand out more, and make them easier to keep track of. But now we have confirmation that anyone who dislikes the outlines can turn them off, which is a nice option.

...And it raises a few more questions about those Palutena screenshots that made the rounds back around the holidays...
Didn't they already say you could turn them off

Top Bottom