• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - March 17th

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
I like this. You shouldn't get invincibility and one-hit power, but a significant power boost, speed, size, whatever, for like 30-40 seconds would be cool. For instance, Giga Bowser wouldn't take up the whole stage, and you'd still be able to hit him, but he'd be stronger and more resistant. That kind of thing would encourage more tactical usage of the final smashes, rather than just giving people free kills.
I like this idea too, but Sakurai might not be on the same page. Smash rewards you for getting kills so I'm sure, to support the weaker players he will make it so that they will get kills.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
The problem with it is that it takes away from the character's individuality. It was bad enough that some characters had overly similar Final Smashes in Brawl (Starfox characters, the two Links). Making every character simply receive stat boosts is awfully generic, and in a lot of cases, there isn't a basis to do this. For example, why would Zelda or Mr. Game & Watch suddenly be able to move faster, jump higher, etc, at random?

Wario's Final Smash made sense for what it was, but it wouldn't make sense to try and give everyone something similar.
You're absolutely right. But I think what he meant was that it would be character specific anyway. However, you have the right idea. Variety is key.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Am I the only one that doesn't go right after a Smash Ball when it appears. I just wait untill it comes next to me. Besides...you guys know the Smash Ball is easier to break when more time has passed, right?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I understand why everyone wants Final Smashes to be perfectly balanced and viable for tournament play, it's simply not going to be the case. It should be remembered that it's SUPPOSED to be a comeback mechanic. Not to mention that "Pity Smash" is a thing (if you're doing terribly in a match and Smash Balls are on, you can automatically attain one for doing so bad after a respawn). The entire point of the mechanic is to emphasise how strong the characters can be, and certain characters are objectively stronger than others, or at least have an ability that is objectively super powerful.

They only way I think it can be made fairer is that the better a Final Smash is, the more damage the character has to do to the Smash Ball to break it. This also means that the Smash Ball would not have a single health stat, but would instead read the damage taken from fighters individually, and not collectively. However, I doubt they would do this.

Last edited:

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Am I the only one that doesn't go right after a Smash Ball when it appears. I just wait untill it comes next to me. Besides...you guys know the Smash Ball is easier to break when more time has passed, right?
I do the exact same thing. Again, Sonic usually gets it.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
While I understand why everyone wants Final Smashes to be perfectly balanced and viable for tournament play, it's simply not going to be the case. It should be remembered that it's SUPPOSED to be a comeback mechanic. Not to mention that "Pity Smash" is a thing (if you're doing terribly in a match and Smash Balls are on, you can automatically attain one for doing so bad after a respawn). The entire point of the mechanic is to emphasise how strong the characters can be, and certain characters are objectively stronger than others, or at least have an ability that is objectively super powerful.

They only way I think it can be made fairer is that the better a Final Smash is, the more damage the character has to do to the Smash Ball to break it. This also means that the Smash Ball would not have a single health stat, but would instead read the damage taken from fighters individually, and not collectively. However, I doubt they would do this.
A comeback mechanic is not necessarily a bad thing, and it's prevalent in top competitive fighters today, two examples: Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6 and trust me, there's quite a few more than those.

I do agree with you though on the health stat thing. It's something that could work. We'll just have to wait and see what Sakurai does. Tomorrow's Miiverse should suffice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A comeback mechanic is not necessarily a bad thing, and it's prevalent in top competitive fighters today, two examples: Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6 and trust me, there's quite a few more than those.

I do agree with you though on the health stat thing. It's something that could work. We'll just have to wait and see what Sakurai does. Tomorrow's Miiverse should suffice.
The difference between those comeback mechanics and the Smash Ball is that they aren't supposed to be so flashy. For example, the Rage mechanic in Tekken is a comeback mechanic, but in Tekken 6 it only activates when at dangerously low health, and just gives a bit of a power boost. It's balanced by nature. This mechanic does not interrupt the natural flow of battle either, as you don't have to scramble for an object that randomly appears.

Final Smashes, however, are not designed to be balanced. They are designed to show off the unique abilities of these characters. They are not intended to be for people who want to play the game for serious tournaments. It's for the people who like seeing their favourite characters obliterate other characters with ease. It's part of the Smash atmosphere. The tournament scene has an entirely different atmosphere that feels like I'm at a professional football game. The Smash atmosphere that items bring is more comparable to going out to the local football pitch and kicking a ball around with friends.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Yeah I immediately thought Playstation All-Stars after I posted that comment and re-considered it, but even if the Final Smashes were 'balanced', the idea of the Smash Ball is still unbalanced. It doesn't change the fact that when it appears, you have to run or fly and go get it. Characters like Sonic will benefit from this more than nearly everyone in the entire cast.

I'm just saying that I'm not satisfied with Brawl's representation of the Smash Ball. I like Final Smashes and I actually think that they are hype, and in my opinion, anything that contributes to hype is a good thing. The problem is when you see a very small fraction of the cast benefitting from it.
Some of the need more skill for use than others but a lot of them a
kind of bogus and others are good, Hype is good but a majority of people play with items off.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Though I agree it was fun, the barrels didn't really allow for precise platforming and didn't really bring the challenging platforming that Donkey Kong names are known for. Opinions aside though, You have to agree with me that Donkey Kong's final smash is one of the worst in smash.
It was bad and from what I head, the Wii version was very precise

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Really hope if they put falco back in I dont have to hear him say "Personally I prefer the air" and he actually gets an Arwing this time around

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Even if there were 60 characters Sakurai would still say, over a month. This is because he might not want to reveal the number of characters in smash. The best bet is to just wait and not draw conclusions
I like drawing; I'm a pretty artist. DON'T TAKE THIS FROM ME!

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Come to think of it, I haven't introduced any of the Final Smashes yet... Then again, if I introduced every single one, it'd take over a month's worth of posts.
Looks like Sakurai forgot that they already revealed the final smashes for Wii Fit Trainer, Samus, and Little Mac.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I can't really speak for how well I can dodge Sonic's Final Smash, because I never really got to play against other players who specifically played as him. I've mastered it myself though.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I posted this a few months ago in the Mr. Game & Watch thread:
"I think Mr. Game & Watch needs a new final smash. In his final smash, he should raise up his hands (like in his down taunt), causing the tools from Helmet to start raining from the sky in vast multitudes stagewide. Basically, something like Ness'/Lucas' PK Starstorm: hard to evade and deadly."
I still think this should happen.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think DK's Final Smash could stay and be pretty decent, it just needs buffing. That said, I wouldn't object to it changing to those finishers he has in the DKCR series.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
How about his DKCR finisher for a new FS? ;)
Now that's an idea. I had the same idea. The barrel punched at the end of each level. It'd be perfect. Maybe it would work by donkey kong getting one person in it, then you have to mash the buttons as fast as possible for more hits to rack up damage. After that, a final wind up punch sends them flying!

Last edited:

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
The problem with it is that it takes away from the character's individuality. It was bad enough that some characters had overly similar Final Smashes in Brawl (Starfox characters, the two Links). Making every character simply receive stat boosts is awfully generic, and in a lot of cases, there isn't a basis to do this. For example, why would Zelda or Mr. Game & Watch suddenly be able to move faster, jump higher, etc, at random?

Wario's Final Smash made sense for what it was, but it wouldn't make sense to try and give everyone something similar.
That's true, but I didn't mean they would all have the same buffs. I was thinking more along the lines of just taking their current final smashes and changing them to a sort of limited-time power-boost instead of a single-use insta-KO, similar to Giga Bowser, Super Sonic, etc. but also not quite as uber-powerful.

You're absolutely right. But I think what he meant was that it would be character specific anyway. However, you have the right idea. Variety is key.
I agree, with both sonicbrawler and Domo-dono. Variety is what makes Smash Bros what it is. Practically boundless possibility packed into a compact disc.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Though he said it would take over a month to show all the final smashes, does anyone think he could be referring to unique final smashes? In brawl the PK kids, spacies, Links, Zelda/Shiek, and Pokemon trainer's pokemon all shared final smashes. Despite there 39 unique characters, there were only 32 unique final smashes. So, even if it would take about 30ish days to reveal the final smashes, duplicated ones could easily still mean there are 40+ unique characters.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
People need to jump off his comment about how long it'd take. He doesn't post weekends so even just revealing the current characters' Final Smashes would take roughly a "month" of update.

He wasn't alluding to the full roster in any way at all.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
sakurai only releases pics during the week, not the weekend. so thats only 5 pics a week, 4 weeks in a month. thats only 20 characters confirmed,
plus the "over" part could leave room for a plus or minus 10 characters.

Bamboo

Smash Rookie
After reading around this forum i feel like im apart a select few people who don't care whether the cd says melee or brawl and just loves all the smash games. But anyway..

CANT WAIT FOR SMASH 4!

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I just hope that the following characters final smash never change
Sonic
Kirby
Mario
Wario
Yoshi
Fox
Ness
Yoshi's really should. It honestly has no link to the series Yoshi has. As much as I could say it might be useful, I feel as though final smashes should incorporate something from the character's game.

Top Bottom