• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - February 11th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. You missed me, because you attacked my illusory copy from my Double Team move!"

Last edited by a moderator:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
First the Villager, now Lucario? What's up with the boxing ring making peoples' eyes glow?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Marth's over head shield breaker never really clicked with me. I much prefer the look of the poke and though it's a bit harder to hit in general, I find it much easier to sweetspot. Plus now that it's been buffed I'm sure it'll be even more in my favor.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I was never much of a Lucario player but those glowing eyes look pretty sweet. I felt the double team attack was slow. Lucario in general was slow in Brawl.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I hope that is the ending animation of an fsmash or something from Marth, it kind of looks like a stab. I'm going to be really disappointed if Sakurai leaves the Brawl shieldbreaker in, the Melee one was so much better.

JuicePouch

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuicePouch
The more I see of Marth's new outfit the more it grows onto me. I wasn't thoroughly impressed from the beginning, but it's endearing.

Also, same shield breaker from Brawl? I wonder what else is the same/changed.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
The demon lord Lucario shows his true colours. (I say colours, not colors, because I'm not American)

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Marth's Shield Breaker move is the crappy poke version from Brawl. I want the overhead melee version back.
I love Melee, but you can't deny how generic that move was. Brawl's actually looks more like a "shield breaker" IMO.

EDIT: On second thoughts, that picture could just as easily be him in the middle of a fsmash.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I love Melee, but you can't deny how generic that move was. Brawl's actually looks more like a "shield breaker" IMO.

EDIT: On second thoughts, that picture could just as easily be him in the middle of a fsmash.
It's definitely Shield Breaker, you can tell from the purple trail just behind Marth's back. It follows the sword thrust.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743

It doesn't matter if it was generic it had more utility in Melee and that's the only thing that really matters for a characters' moveset.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if it was generic it had more utility in Melee and that's the only thing that really matters for a characters' moveset.
I disagree, I think the moves a character utilises, have to really capture the essence of the character (his personality, quirks etc.) and in a sense the mechanics of his game.
If moves look generic, the character just doesn't feel quite right...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Haha, Nah **** that. Marth has enough moves that already function as just big ****ing hitboxes. I'm all for utility, but when he has several other moves that do the same ****, adding one that just does it better won't add much.

I can confirm it's most likely the brawl shield breaker animation though. Sakurai early made some mentioning of the shield breaker in brawl's shield breaking abilities not being good enough, so he beefed up the power a bit. I can't imagine it being his melee shield break animation, but with more piercing power then brawls.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I disagree, I think the moves a character utilises, have to really capture the essence of the character (his personality, quirks etc.) and in a sense the mechanics of his game.
If moves look generic, the character just doesn't feel quite right...
So you'd rather sacrifice a move's viability as an option just so it could look cool? That's a terrible mentality to have for a fighting game.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Haha, Nah **** that. Marth has enough moves that already function as just big ****ing hitboxes. I'm all for utility, but when he has several other moves that do the same ****, adding one that just does it better won't add much.

I can confirm it's most likely the brawl shield breaker animation though. Sakurai early made some mentioning of the shield breaker in brawl's shield breaking abilities not being good enough, so he beefed up the power a bit. I can't imagine it being his melee shield break animation, but with more piercing power then brawls.
That's exactly where I fall on it. His Shield Breaker doesn't do anything particularly special in it's Melee iteration, so if it's been buffed to be a stronger, uh... shield-breaker, then it has a unique utility now. It's limited hitbox compared to Melee now serves as a balancing thing more than anything. AND, it doesn't hurt that it looks cool/unique compared to the rest of his "I'm gonna slash at you" moveset.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
There aren't any moves that function like Marth's Melee shield breaker. His fair generally sends people vertically in most of its hit boxes, and you can't use Marth's f-smash in the air. Long story short, his shield breaker isn't "the same ****" because it can be used to cover options both on the ground and in the air and cause horizontal knockback, a function that no other move in his set can do. A good example of this would be the set that Dr. PP had with M2K in Big House 3 where in Marth dittoes PP finished his combo with a shield breaker to send M2K farther from the stage. He couldn't use forward smash because he was in the air.

So you'd rather sacrifice a move's viability as an option just so it could look cool? That's a terrible mentality to have for a fighting game.
Logical fallacy, Straw man: "Instead of arguing against your opponent's points, you instead create a scenario within your opponent's argument to specifically make it easier to argue against."
He never said that he's sacrificing viability (or at the very least, not saying you should COMPLETELY sacrifice viability, which is a very big difference). If anything, he says it's best to have both. You shouldn't twist his argument to conform yours. Besides, he has a point. A fighting game, in its essence, is still a game. Giving a character only good options isn't the only point of a game; a game, especially one like a fighting game where each character needs to stand up as its own unique fighter among many, needs to focus on the little details that makes the character feel special. In any game, no one wants to play as a character who looks boring and dull. Take Project M's Olimar (or even vBrawl's Olimar). He's an excellent character in terms of viability, but anyone can tell you that his moves lack soul and flair. There's a reason why in PM Olimar is widely considered to be the most boring character in the whole cast.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
@ KayB KayB That definitely isn't an example of a straw man argument. Just because he didn't say that it would sacrifice viability doesn't mean that isn't the implication of keeping the Brawl shieldbreaker which ultimately was the original point.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
@ KayB KayB That definitely isn't an example of a straw man argument. Just because he didn't say that it would sacrifice viability doesn't mean that isn't the implication of keeping the Brawl shieldbreaker which ultimately was the original point.
Logical fallacies aren't a matter of philosophy... But that aside, you still attacked an implication by stating it as if that's what the person had said.

It's no more valid than if someone said that you believe you'd prefer all characters have the same moves so long as they are all viable, whether they are unique to the character at all.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Just because he didn't say that it would sacrifice viability doesn't mean that isn't the implication of keeping the Brawl shieldbreaker which ultimately was the original point.
Your right, it isn't. But you made it sound like his argument was sided at two extremes, which is false. He isn't saying that one is necessarily better than the other, but that it's bad to disregard applying the other at all. You literally said "you'd rather sacrifice a move's viability as an option just so it could look cool," which is NOT what he was arguing. He's not arguing that he should sacrifice anything really.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
It isn't about "looking cool", it's about keeping the game as "Nintendo" as possible. I have no idea how Marth's Shield Breaker works in his series, or if he even has an option to shield break. However, this rule does apply to other characters, at least. If Brawl's Shield Break fits Marth more, than so be it. That's perfectly fine by me.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
There aren't any moves that function like Marth's Melee shield breaker. His fair generally sends people vertically in most of its hit boxes, and you can't use Marth's f-smash in the air. Long story short, his shield breaker isn't "the same ****" because it can be used to cover options both on the ground and in the air and cause horizontal knockback, a function that no other move in his set can do. A good example of this would be the set that Dr. PP had with M2K in Big House 3 where in Marth dittoes PP finished his combo with a shield breaker to send M2K farther from the stage. He couldn't use forward smash because he was in the air.
I believe Marth already has enough tools to make his opponent fear his spacing game. You can argue that there are small variations between his f-smash and air f-smash melee shield breaker, but he already has enough reasons to make the opponent respect his sword range. I wasn't saying it didn't have it's niche, I understand f-air is combo filler, and shield breaker is a combo ender, but it's unnecessary for the most part when all your spacing moves can become kill moves if they're tippered anyways. Then he just has this move with a huge hitbox that he can use in the air, delay even longer then his f-smash, and hits hard regardless of how it's spaced? Eh.

Brawls shield breaker was basically designed purely for mix up purposes. One hit from it might not break you're shield but now you're vulnerable to all his pokes atleast, making being in that "Marth" range super dangerous. It just seems fitting that in the midst of all these massive, quick attacks he has, he has one that's just a linear poke, that depletes shields to nothing.

I just think it compliments the character more, and gives him a much more needed option then all the massive hitboxes he already has.

AND FOR THE RECORD. I ain't saying "DURRRR MELEE ONES USELESS COMPLTLY" or some ****. I get where you're coming from. I just feel the brawl version of it needs more clever usage then the melee variation, and that's why I like it.

Whether I agree with them beefing up it's power in the upcoming smash 4 is another story though. Ha! Top Marths were already pretty good at using that damn thing.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
It's good to see my man Marth in action. And why the hate on Brawl's shield breaker? The move isn't bad, it can help in both offense and recovery.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
I have no idea how Marth's Shield Breaker works in his series, or if he even has an option to shield break. However, this rule does apply to other characters, at least. If Brawl's Shield Break fits Marth more, than so be it. That's perfectly fine by me.
Marth didn't really have a Sheild Breaker in the Fire Emblem series. (There really weren't any "shields" to break in FIre Emblem.) What his move in Brawl is based on is that Rapier type swords are very effective against high-defense enemy units compared to other swords. The Falchion he uses in Brawl is his ultimate sword he obtains in his original game and is incidentally a Rapier. Sakurai basically translated Rapier swords being effective against high-defense enemy units in Fire Emblem as a move Marth uses to severely reduce or break through opponents' shields in the Smash Bros. series. It's a translation that makes sense.

Furthermore, when Marth attacks with a sword in Monsho no Nazo on the Super Famicom, his attack animation has him holding the sword nearly horizontally and stabbing with it. His Shield Breaker move in Brawl is analogous to this. I don't know how he attacks in the DS version of Shadow Dragon though; I haven't played it yet. Also, real rapier swords from medieval times were designed for stabbing. Anyone ever watch Arya train with her sword Needle in the first season of Game of Thrones? :p Same idea.

So yes, I would say his Brawl shield breaker move suits him much better than his Melee sheild breaker move. Marth is one of my best characters in Brawl, so to think that Sakurai buffed this move even more... :eek:

Anyway, just registered to say this.... and to hopefully become active in this community. I hope to find some Smash Bros. tournaments in my area and participate... :bee:

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yeah, they are gonna give Marth back the old breaker the day Facto gets the other shine.

In other words, never so deal.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Because instead of getting Bone Rush, or Close Combat, or Metal Claw..... we get double team........
*No comment*
Well at-least he looks pretty cool when using it I guess.......

Top Bottom