• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Online General Discussion

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm trying to learn frame data across the roster but considering how stupid the online is. A lot of stuff doesn't make sense. Like people being safe whiffing a smash attack or doing a raw dash attack on a shield and not being able to punish them because the delay even minor f***s you. Man nah. Also can I get that god damn Elite smash already I'm at 1200000 GSP overall god dang it.
Even the best online environment is no place to calculate frames. Just use training mode or other offline features.

Also we should be happy getting into Elite Smash is getting harder, it's meant for the top brass and the higher it gets, the more likely it is to feature competitive-minded players.

Getting to the top should be difficult. Just... for the right reasons. GSP really ought to be separated among the three modes of quickplay (free-for-all, 1v1 and doubles).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ver 1.2.0 is out.

Go get it.

Kinda wish it didn't come so soon, I had some replays I was gonna use.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah just installed it but Nintendo WFC is down for maintenance. I'll try the new quickplay tomorrow.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It went back up a few minutes after.

I tried Quickplay and it didn't seem any better. I was actually trying to play some FFA matches with items on regular stages this time but mostly got 1v1 Battlefield matches which is what I would usually look for.

Yes, I changed my preferred rules. :V

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Is it me or people just pick characters with good spacing online? I don't like how I have to play Fire Emblem characters because everyone else is or Cloud. It feels like spacing characters are popular online.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is it me or people just pick characters with good spacing online? I don't like how I have to play Fire Emblem characters because everyone else is or Cloud. It feels like spacing characters are popular online.
It's more like anime swordman are popular online because they're all actually quite good now.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I can't find any public Arena room for 1 on 1.
Do you guys also get same things?
Some online error?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just learn how to punish lmao, Cloud has a couple laggy moves like Blade Beam and his ftilt that are super easy to get in and punish with a grab of jab or something. Also, all the anime swordsmen are pretty tall amd therefore combo food. Just learn how to play neutral fam

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
It is looking like the patch was just to fix very minor gameplay and visual issues. If I had to bet, they're probably going to do balance adjustments when the next dlc drops.

Aside from that, I've gotten some pretty great matches. Couple of 1v1s but most of the people in my GSP league are very capable fighters. This form of match making seems to be working out great. Were like in brawl or maybe Smash 4, the better player would just spawn into a match with bad players and it would be an annoying time for both parties.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
It's more like anime swordman are popular online because they're all actually quite good now.
I mean I get why but its such a drag to play against them unless you're playinh one yourself. You have to wait for an opportunity with the playstyle of Cloud/FE characters.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I just realized something. Not being able to change characters during quickplay eliminates counterpicking characters. That's sneaky. How are they thinking this makes it easier to balance the game?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just realized something. Not being able to change characters during quickplay eliminates counterpicking characters. That's sneaky. How are they thinking this makes it easier to balance the game?
Don't see how that's relevant unless you can somehow switch characters mid-match like Pokemon Trainer. All the devs need to is how the characters are used in the game and how often, not why, unless it relates to being too strong/weak in general. Plus, how will they get enough data on matchups bad enough to make people want to switch if people freely do so? Another reason for per-character GSP; it discourages dropping characters with bad matchups altogether in the name of playing it safe with your rank. You can push a given character to their farthest without harming your overall or best character's standings much, if at all.

Besides, I'm fairly certain they'll still look at tournament play wherever possible for balancing feedback. They didn't say they'd only look at Elite Smash. This system tracks how well characters do, not necessarily players. Otherwise something like overall GSP would be used for matchmaking and we'd have leaderboards.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Don't see how that's relevant unless you can somehow switch characters mid-match like Pokemon Trainer. All the devs need to is how the characters are used in the game and how often, not why, unless it relates to being too strong/weak in general. Plus, how will they get enough data on matchups bad enough to make people want to switch if people freely do so? Another reason for per-character GSP; it discourages dropping characters with bad matchups altogether in the name of playing it safe with your rank. You can push a given character to their farthest without harming your overall or best character's standings much, if at all.

Besides, I'm fairly certain they'll still look at tournament play wherever possible for balancing feedback. They didn't say they'd only look at Elite Smash.
I mean, the data itself is important but for a truly competitive environment people should be flexible with the roster. We all know of two players are the same skill level and the person who has the counter pick is probably going to win so we leave matchmaking to that?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well me personally I don't main per se I have 5 to 7 characters whom I devote my attention to and when going against someone who does main it's rare they can beat me regardless of whom I choose. Obviously not an ideal strategy for tournament play but in the old For Glory it was nearly fool proof.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean, the data itself is important but for a truly competitive environment people should be flexible with the roster. We all know of two players are the same skill level and the person who has the counter pick is probably going to win so we leave matchmaking to that?
Most fighting games I've played don't let you rematch, let alone change characters against the same person when rank is involved. It's the same here; if you wanna counterpick and experiment to your heart's content, you gotta do it in the rank-free arenas. As much as it tries to lead you believe that it's a very competitive mode, For Glory had no ranking to speak of either.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Most fighting games I've played don't let you rematch, let alone change characters against the same person when rank is involved. It's the same here; if you wanna counterpick and experiment to your heart's content, you gotta do it in the rank-free arenas. As much as it tries to lead you believe that it's a very competitive mode, For Glory had no ranking to speak of either.
Its not leading me to think it is a very competitive mode, it is a very competitive mode. In other competitive games versatility is important and by doing sets with the same character you are limiting how competitive the game can be.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Its not leading me to think it is a very competitive mode, it is a very competitive mode. In other competitive games versatility is important and by doing sets with the same character you are limiting how competitive the game can be.
There's a reason tournaments are always held offline. At the end of the day all these ranks are just treated as matchmaking measurement online. And any way you slice it, someone who only plays online without attending anything isn't truly competitive either.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
There's a reason tournaments are always held offline. At the end of the day all these ranks are just treated as matchmaking measurement online. And any way you slice it, someone who only plays online without attending anything isn't truly competitive either.
Some people do not have the time or the money to be that dedicated even if they wanted, and offline people probably would be swapping characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some people do not have the time or the money to be that dedicated even if they wanted, and offline people probably would be swapping characters.
Tournaments don't let you freely switch characters. Know why? Because you can clearly see the character your opponent is using in an offline setting, and with no restrictions they would just remain stuck at the character select screen trying to pick the best character to counter the other (assuming this was a viable strategy). No, they have to pick the one or two characters they want to use for the whole run in the name of consistency and fairness. Any environment that lets you freely change to any character after a match is either purely casual or at best, practice for an actual competitive setting.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Tournaments don't let you freely switch characters. Know why? Because you can clearly see the character your opponent is using in an offline setting, and with no restrictions they would just remain stuck at the character select screen trying to pick the best character to counter the other (assuming this was a viable strategy). No, they have to pick the one or two characters they want to use for the whole run in the name of consistency and fairness. Any environment that lets you freely change to any character after a match is either purely casual or at best, practice for an actual competitive setting.
I mean yes that itself is pretty clear. But lets say they pick a character that is countered by another character in the roster, if your character roster is larger than the other players then it becomes competitive in more ways than just simply mastering a character. The other player has to worry about the options you have versus knowing you'd be playing with the same character over and over again. You argument relies on what has been done in tournaments and being afraid of getting out of your comfort zone.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Online tournaments exist though I've been in several...? But anyway I see your point I just think character counterpicking is a necessary strategy which is effectively eliminated in quickplay mode and it's not an arbitrary decision. Either it's due to a limitation ie coded that way to save resources or it's a chosen game mechanic. If it's the former cool do what you gotta do to make it a lag free wait free environment. If it's the latter, ok, but it seems counter intuitive.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Online tournaments exist though I've been in several...? But anyway I see your point I just think character counterpicking is a necessary strategy which is effectively eliminated in quickplay mode and it's not an arbitrary decision. Either it's due to a limitation ie coded that way to save resources or it's a chosen game mechanic. If it's the former cool do what you gotta do to make it a lag free wait free environment. If it's the latter, ok, but it seems counter intuitive.
For it to be actual counterpicking you would have to be able to see what character your opponent is using before the match starts. Otherwise it amounts to little more than blind guessing whether or not he or she will actually stick with the character you're trying to counter. And we all know how well randomness is appreciated when the stakes are higher than normal...

banana29

Smash Cadet
I've had a bit better luck in arenas with connections and such, but I'm still disappointed by the apparent downgrade from Smash 4's online interface. Too big a hassle getting exactly what I want out of playing online.

Would you like to?
Yeah lol

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Game dev often spectate offline tournaments. No one really knows about it either. Online probably too.

Pyr

Smash Lord
The Zangief player icon is the most amazing player icon. I love that some of the spirit icons were added.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Found out today Switch supports 5G routers. My parents place has concrete walls so regular wifi signal can never seem to reach the Switch. I point it to the 5G in here and matches have been great. On the regular wifi it was like 400kb so gross.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
How is it there's so many players with 1.6 mil plus GSP with rulesets like 3 min ffa w items... Swear lol it's insane.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Is there a new site for online match making yet? I'm having troubles searching for one with all the clickbait "gamer news" on the matchmaking.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I have not seen nor heard of anything yet 34. I was wondering the same thing.

Most of my serious matches I take offline with a new grass roots community I am helping to maintain at work. So I feel pretty satisfied doing just that for my serious itches.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Is there a new site for online match making yet? I'm having troubles searching for one with all the clickbait "gamer news" on the matchmaking.
I imagine Anther's Ladder will soon support SSBU.

DingaLing&Y

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to say that anyone who does this
is really bad at the game.

I was playing a little mac and this person kept running away,
I couldn't catch him so I just ran off the stage.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I played this pretty good Cloud player who had his preferred rules to Battlefield, Pokeballs and Smash balls on high. I'm pretty sure he was farming GSP from people who wouldn't want to deal with that garbage so they'd just SD 3 times. Anyone else run into anything like this?

I just wanted to say that anyone who does this
is really bad at the game.

I was playing a little mac and this person kept running away,
I couldn't catch him so I just ran off the stage.
Little Mac has armor on like 95% of his attacks and hits like a truck. Do you blame them for not wanting to run directly into you?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I played this pretty good Cloud player who had his preferred rules to Battlefield, Pokeballs and Smash balls on high. I'm pretty sure he was farming GSP from people who wouldn't want to deal with that garbage so they'd just SD 3 times. Anyone else run into anything like this?
That's like most of my matches LOL. Crap stages with walk offs or scrolling, items and FFAs.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
That's like most of my matches LOL. Crap stages with walk offs or scrolling, items and FFAs.
I thought most of that was fixed? Since 1.2.0 I've only gotten a couple matches that had items on and/or weren't on an Omega or Battlefield. I haven't gotten a single one that isn't 1v1 either. The aforementioned one with Cloud being one of them. I guess if you're located somewhere where no one wants to play items off/neutral stages, that would still make sense.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I thought most of that was fixed? Since 1.2.0 I've only gotten a couple matches that had items on and/or weren't on an Omega or Battlefield. I haven't gotten a single one that isn't 1v1 either. The aforementioned one with Cloud being one of them. I guess if you're located somewhere where no one wants to play items off/neutral stages, that would still make sense.
I'm SE region... But yeah it's tough finding team battles which is my preference. I've just reprogrammed my brain to harken back to the brawl days which is what this is mostly like. I'm guessing setting it to teams is the issue because I rarely get 1v1 and somehow FFA very popular. Lots of 3 way battles too which is its own kind of insane lol

DingaLing&Y

Smash Rookie

Little Mac has armor on like 95% of his attacks and hits like a truck. Do you blame them for not wanting to run directly into you?
He ran away from me to time me out he didn't even try to attack me

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I'm SE region... But yeah it's tough finding team battles which is my preference. I've just reprogrammed my brain to harken back to the brawl days which is what this is mostly like. I'm guessing setting it to teams is the issue because I rarely get 1v1 and somehow FFA very popular. Lots of 3 way battles too which is its own kind of insane lol
I find that this becomes much less of an issue as you get higher in GSP. I have the occasional frustrating match with wack setups, but usually never with items. In Elite smash I've yet to face anyone who doesn't do 3 stock 7 minute. What GSP are you hovering around?

I've legit had issues beating Little Macs in the 2mil+ GSP zone due to the way they just sit there, read, and punch when its open. His attacks come out SO fast and they hurt so much that I've legit taken L's to this character a few times that have made me rage lol.

Top Bottom