• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still do not get why Sora hype has boomed this week? There is no crucial hint or evidence that gives Sora a chance. Why is that??
KHIII hype after TGS
Hashimoto's Deleted tweet.
The fact that the SE rep is shrouded in total mystery

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
No, it relies on unique newcomer and Ken specifically
How does it rely on Ken specifically?
The only thing that people go off of for the box theory is the design mentality behind it having six rows of six.

Therefore it means there's two characters left.
Ken is only included, due to it fitting with Verge's claims. And even then, that goes against his record and current claims.
Anyway, I'm done talking about the box theory.

All I'm saying is Ken doesn't reinforce or deconfirm it.
We still don't know the rest of the roster from that one picture.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are horribly made leaks, and then there's.... this.
This one which is not only ridiculous to claim we're getting at least 4 Kingdom Hearts trailers but also this:

That splash image is clearly based on this image that I found, literally through a Google search.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
just ignore this, it;'s likely fake and made for troll leaks. We aren't discussing some fake leaks at all, this thread is for real leaks only but that's example why we won't trust any fake leaks until it's actually real deal.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

What made you say that? If he's less risky character to leak and then I might see reason for guy to leak ken on 4chan, so he won't be in trouble at all or wanting to make sure if no one isn't expecting any pictures of unrevealed characters to pop up on internet.
What I meant was perhaps there's a bigger team who works on certain parts of a direct than others. Maybe Ken is featured in a part that's being put together by a decently sized team so there was less risk. Sakurai could be doing all sorts of weird things to try and stop leaks. Maybe directs or certain info is being pieced apart so it's easier to sniff out leakers. Ken may have been in a situation where the opportunity was there with the here least amount of risk. It was about the situation around the character more than Ken himself

Potato_

Smash Lord
The only thing that people go off of for the box theory is the design mentality behind it having six rows of six.

Ken is only included, due to it fitting with Verge's claims. And even then, that goes against his record and current claims.

IT's a little more than "Ken matching Vergeben"

The way the roster is laid out on the box, there's a space in between like 7 characters, that space would fit an echo.

The possible characters for this echo are Ryu, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, and a few others I can't remember.

Basically the fact that the echo HAS to be for one of those characters combined with the fact that Vergeben leaked Ken is what is making people believe it supports box theory.

Notably it doesn't include Sonic, so Shadow would outright deconfirm the theory, as well as literally any other echo. More than 1 newcomer would also deconfirm it.

This one which is not only ridiculous to claim we're getting at least 4 Kingdom Hearts trailers but also this:

That splash image is clearly based on this image that I found, literally through a Google search.
The OP of that leak is a troll who often posts on gameFAQs. He uses the exact same spelling for shantae and also always names those characters he listed.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

There’s the spot specifically somewhere between Palutena and Cloud, suggesting an echo of someone between then, such as Ryu.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Actually, Ken does support box theory.

The idea is that both sides have 36, leading to a total of 72. Because characters are split into the "groups of 9", like Mario through Pikachu with Dark Samus, for them to line up correctly there would have to be an echo fighter between Palutena and Cloud for it to line up the way the placeholder looks.

Basically, we'd have to get Medusa, Zack Fair, Celica, Ms. Pac-Man, a Shulk clone, Bowser Jr. clone, or a Duck Hunt clone. Or Ken.

That's why Ken could conceivably add credence to box theory. But he alone doesn't prove it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still do not get why Sora hype has boomed this week? There is no crucial hint or evidence that gives Sora a chance. Why is that??
Verge is positive there's a square character in and iirc the steve "leaker" also seems to think this.

From the sounds of it Square has a new rep that is very tightly underwraps.

what's this deleted tweet though?

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
No, it relies on unique newcomer and Ken specifically
I could misunderstand, but I don't think the echo fighter has to be Ken. We do need a new echo fighter, but it just has to be an echo for one of the 8 characters on the other side of the box in the same section Ryu is in-- which could be Zack for Cloud, or Medusa for Palutena. Of course, Ken being the most likely by far. But if something were to happen, like Ken being confirmed as an AT, that doesn't erase the box theory.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What a surprise that the Stanley leak turned out to be hogwash. I’ll be over here waiting for solid proof on whether Prima leak is real or not (most likely fake of course).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Verge is positive there's a square character in and iirc the steve "leaker" also seems to think this.

From the sounds of it Square has a new rep that is very tightly underwraps.

what's this deleted tweet though?
KH co-creator answered a tweet saying "Please Hashimoto-san? #Sora4Smash"
He answered "Yes!" Before directly deleting it

He probably at 99% was just showing his supports
However Hashimoto IS well known at leaking SE stuff with a slip of the tongue. The Frozen world almost a year before it's public reveal and backtracking. And other tiny stuff.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Actually, Ken does support box theory.

The idea is that both sides have 36, leading to a total of 72. Because characters are split into the "groups of 9", like Mario through Pikachu with Dark Samus, for them to line up correctly there would have to be an echo fighter between Palutena and Cloud for it to line up the way the placeholder looks.

Basically, we'd have to get Medusa, Zack Fair, Celica, Ms. Pac-Man, a Shulk clone, Bowser Jr. clone, or a Duck Hunt clone. Or Ken.

That's why Ken could conceivably add credence to box theory. But he alone doesn't prove it.
That's what I'm trying to get at though. It relies on a set of any two characters.
He doesn't prove it.
Bidoof mentioned Ken and a unique character specifically.
That's where the theory falls apart, as given it was established before yesterday, that would mean it would have to rely on Verge's claims.
Which would already make it faulty.

I get it may help support this theory, but in no way do I believe it's anything substantial in my opinion. Kinda like how it doesn't affect the "music theory" at all, unless Ken somehow is considered unique.
Especially since that we haven't seen the finalized roster and if you go off of Verge's claims.
All in all, what I was trying to get at is it doesn't outright prove or disconfirm it and the only substantial thing to note is that it supports Verge.
That's all we can denote until we receive more information.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

just ignore this, it;'s likely fake and made for troll leaks. We aren't discussing some fake leaks at all, this thread is for real leaks only but that's example why we won't trust any fake leaks until it's actually real deal.
It's highly likely that this "leak" was made by a user on GameFAQs who went by the name "Frothingslosh" who's notorious for his bad grammar and spelling (like the ones in the picture), his tendancy to threaten others who don't believe his outragously false claims and after he closed his account, he creates up to 4 alts at a time to continue his trolling so this "leak" can be thrown out straight away.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
What a surprise that the Stanley leak turned out to be hogwash. I’ll be over here waiting for solid proof on whether Prima leak is real or not (most likely fake of course).
A guy that was responsible for leaking about prima actually have april one as "his birthday" and later, he admitted that it was one thing that should point it out that it was fake. BUT, there's lucky coincidence with this: some time later after prima "leak" was posted, official prima was announced to be sold on amazon.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Like mention prior, Sora confirming to be in Smash by the deleted tweet gives little to no proof.

About the Hashimoto's tweet. He stated that he like Sora to be in Smash before deleting it. I do not think that auto confirms that Sora will be in Smash.

Phil Spencer has stated that he would like to Banjo in Smash since Smash 4 yet Banjo did not appear in Smash 4. The Wario's director/creator idk has stated that he would like to have Ashley to be Smash Ultimate before he deleted his post and guess what? Ashley got deconfirmed.

Creator/Director/something that tweeted that they want their character to be in Smash does not confirmed it. It is simply their opinion and nothing else. The creator deleting their tweet probably means that they do not want to have spam or fan request spreading all over their account. If they really do reveal that their character to be Smash...they have could've stop talking about it or even mentioning it. It breaks Sakurai's rule of conduct of not revealing their character in public. Sakurai does not want the current unrevealed character to be leaked, especially if the character's designer/creator/someone related to the character revealed the unrevealed character in public. Sure Sakurai got some accidental leaks but he tries his best to prevent them from happening.

I didnt say Sora has no chance but that tweet has no real effect of Sora's chance at all.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Even being fake, that whole Stanley thing provided something to talk about that wasn't Ken or cardboard. Thank you, anon!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The deleted tweet doesn't mean Sora at all. For all we know the man might have been bombarded by diehard Smash fans who see it as evidence to confirm his playable status. Remember that Kamiya didn't have the nicest of words to describe this fanbase after being continuously harassed via social media about Bayonetta.

It can get toxic when people start expecting/demanding characters to be in.

I still believe box theory to be accurate. I also think Vergeben is on the money. The Square Enix character is either a fake leak to out sources or it is the first DLC character planned post-release. Honestly, Sora would be an excellent choice to kick off the DLC period for Ultimate despite my personal indifference.

We'll see by the next Direct. People say we must have more than two as "only two characters? that's not hype compared to August 8th!" but I could see both Ken and Incineroar revealed with Spirits being the center piece. I can quite easily see Sakurai treating Spirits as a hype-worthy feature in a Smash centric Direct. He spent countless days talking about Smash Run before, after all. He didn't hide it for no reason.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Even being fake, that whole Stanley thing provided something to talk about that wasn't Ken or cardboard. Thank you, anon!
Y’know, it seems a bit counterproductive when people take lulls in box talk to bring up the fact that nobody has talked about it

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That Sora picture was a leak? Well I guess you learn something new everyday.

Anyways, there doesn’t seem to be anything new other than Ken from the recent leak yesterday.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think the Sora tweet matters (and actually kind of hurts more than anything but whatever), but I still think Sora is relatively likely.
If the rumoured SE rep is DLC it's going to have to be a heavy hitter and a character that's DLC for a reason. Cloud and Ryu make a lot of sense in this regard.
The only two series I can think of that Nintendo would want to be DLC (because of the legal issues and costs involved in getting the rights to use the character) would be Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest. I'm leaning more towards Kingdom Hearts though because Sora is recognizable worldwide where Slime is the only Dragon Quest character I can see being relevant enough in the West that could drive DLC sales.

Chrono.

Don't think it means anything at this point, but Jon from GameXplain mentioned the possibility of Shadow as a semi clone of Sonic in their weekly Smash discussion.

Given his previous rumblings, thought it was interesting to point out.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know... I'm curious if Jon is actually a leaker pretending to make predictions or if he is just really, really analytic and lucky. On an unrelated note, he has an amazing voice.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Don't think it means anything at this point, but Jon from GameXplain mentioned the possibility of Shadow as a semi clone of Sonic in their weekly Smash discussion.

yeah, I'm starting to think that he's a leaker in disguise... (The FF games being ported to the Switch is way too much evidence for me)

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Edit: Ninja'ed by MainJPW.

To answer the "who leaves debug stuff in publicity materials" question:

Sakurai.

Sakurai has done it on at least one occasion. At one point, Falco's exhibition video on the Smash website had little bits of hitbox debug info dangling around on-screen. It was hard to see, but it was there.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
A couple days ago... He even gave us a hint, being that he listed his Birthday as April 1st...
The original poster here at Smashboards only has a total of 1 message posted, and that was the “leak”.

Where did he post such thing? And how was it confirmed it was the same person?

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

Interestingly enough, his twitter says he's a mod on ResetEra. ResetEra has numerous people who seem to know more than they let on, with a mod even hinting at Ridley months before E3.

Although if he is a leaker/hinting at stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to mix in some wrong info to dilute his calls.

Untouch

Smash Master
I may just be remembering something that didn't happen but I recall Palutena's smash 4 trailer having some debug text in it somewhere, related to character health. I think people used that as justification for saying that Dark Pit is just a boss in the stage.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I may just be remembering something that didn't happen but I recall Palutena's smash 4 trailer having some debug text in it somewhere, related to character health. I think people used that as justification for saying that Dark Pit is just a boss in the stage.
You're referring to the ZSS image I posted.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Y'know... I'm curious if Jon is actually a leaker pretending to make predictions or if he is just really, really analytic and lucky. On an unrelated note, he has an amazing voice.
I'm 90 percent sure Jon is a leaker.

No way did he not have any info on the last direct. He nailed everyone of his updated predictions.

I'm pretty sure he and likely all of GX know more then they are letting on.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
if shadow really is a semi clone, i'm guessing he would have been an echo that was upgraded later on in development. I can't see why they would have used shadow over tails if they were built as a semiclone from day 1.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hasn't Jon joked about L-Block from Tetris? (I say that because Daisy was a "joke" by Jon prior to E3) At least I checked on his twitter anyhow.

Anyway, I hope Shadow semi-clone isn't true. Doesn't make any sense for any of the echoes to be where they're at yet they make Shadow the one exception (Especially since Shadow is in all intents and purposes, Dark Sonic when Dark Pit and Dark Samus exist and they're still echoes despite being known for different weapons and/or abilities from their base character). And of course there's still the two-tailed fox in the room here.

MainJPW

M.T.A
if shadow really is a semi clone, i'm guessing he would have been an echo that was upgraded later on in development. I can't see why they would have used shadow over tails if they were built as a semiclone from day 1.
I guess Shadow would've simply been easier to work with due to his 1:1 body proportions with Sonic.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hasn't Jon joked about L-Block from Tetris? (I say that because Daisy was a "joke" by Jon prior to E3) At least I checked on his twitter anyhow.

Anyway, I hope Shadow semi-clone isn't true. Doesn't make any sense for any of the echoes to be where they're at yet they make Shadow the one exception (Especially since Shadow is in all intents and purposes, Dark Sonic when Dark Pit and Dark Samus exist and they're still echoes despite being known for different weapons and/or abilities from their base character). And of course there's still the two-tailed fox in the room here.
He did. If we actually get a playable tetris block and Jon leaked it, I wouldn't even know what to think about smash anymore lmao.

Chrono.

yeah, I'm starting to think that he's a leaker in disguise... (The FF games being ported to the Switch is way too much evidence for me)
Interestingly enough, his twitter says he's a mod on ResetEra. ResetEra has numerous people who seem to know more than they let on, with a mod even hinting at Ridley months before E3.

Although if he is a leaker/hinting at stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to mix in some wrong info to dilute his calls.
Yeah that's what I've been thinking.

Even his FF predictions weren't 100% (he had mentioned games like My Life As A King/Darklord, which never happened,) so it's very likely he's been mixing in actual predictions with leaks.

He also addressed the suspicions on their podcast and predictably it all amounted to "It was a guess."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom