• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Thank you :3

Wait we never did have that tournament Pyra Pyra Pyra Pyra :/
life got in the way but it's still on my list.

Shout out to @Noipoi @Smashing Ramen @Tougon @GoldenYuiitusin @BKupa666 @TMNTSSB4 @Zinith Opossum Opossum @Scoliosis Jones @KirbyWorshipper2465 @Luigifan18 @Yoshisaurus Rex @Lampy @Guynamednelson Pyra Pyra @Swamp Sensei @KMDP @Rie Sonomura @Dyllybirdy @P.Kat @staindgrey @faygoshill @osby @Masked Marshmallow @GothFluttershy @Jovahexeon Joranvexeon @Pacack @Imadethistoseealeak @SonicSmasher1 @Idon @Cutie Gwen @Indecisive Fisher @Legendary Spirit Tamer @Arigarmy @Luigi The President @Iridium @Wademan94 @JaiTheGuy

Thank you and many others (If I forgot you sorry :( ) for being groovy cats during this thread, thank you for flying my icons in your banners (means more than you know) thank you for rallying with me (or against me...) in debates. And thank you for sharing your passions with me. I've NEVER stayed around this long during smash cycle nor have I been this involved in fanarty things (found them kinda meh personally) but you all and Smash changed that. Hope to see you in the new thread!

Oh about the girl up top she's Kalypso I'm using her for my new work portfolio to broaden my horizons. The idea is to do her up like :ultkrool:'s model but with a different outfit. She's only whew like 6% done at this point but I wanted to show off what I had.

@Legendary Spirit Tamer

...I'm too fast you can't can't me COPPER! *Throws plastic boobie and runs away*

Okay

I'm done.
I'm really good at bandwagoning and being bored at work so I'm gonna list a few folks in a big post and be off-topic because that's just how it be.

First off, I wanna say that this thread was a delight to hang out in during pre-release. I know I'm mostly in the Newcomer Speculation forum now that the game is out but through all the highs and lows this thread provided tons of laughs, smiles, and definitely the heated debate or two. Weird yelling people who hate World of Light, Grinch infighting, people who like Wave Race and other obscure wants as much as I do, dumb jokes and puns and wacky theories, all of it made my foray into the deeper Smash fandom for the first time since Smash 64/Melee a blessing.

Shoutouts to @Noipoi for the art and avatar. You're a positive force and this place is better for having you.

Shoutouts to the people I see in the support threads jamming about headcanons and theories and generally having a good time even when the chips are down, people who I've really grown to treasure the opinions of like @Luigi The President @osby @Rie Sonomura @Smashing Ramen Pyra Pyra @NineS

Shoutouts to the people who I just love reading whether it's because they make me laugh or they always have something thought-provoking to say - @Cutie Gwen @Scoliosis Jones @ClaTheBae @Onereasonanddone

Shoutouts to the folks I've met through this thread and hang out with in the Joker discord - @Robertman2 @tehponycorn @Nekoo

And a special shout-out to the people who don't always see eye to eye with me but always are down for a spirited discussion and a good time - particularly @GoodGrief741 and @Alastor017

And of course plenty more people who I'll feel bad about forgetting later.

See all y'all in various support threads, maybe the new thread, and just around. And hopefully, maybe, maybe the Ryota Hayami/Wave Race thread? Eh??

Seriously though, this place has been a blast. It's been almost a decade since I've become part of a new online community and almost two since I've been involved in Smash and I've loved every second of it and yeah, this thread is a huge part of it. Nothing but love, now and in the future.
Alright, sweet, sappy, shout out time

I wanna give a huge shout out to @Noipoi @Dyllybirdy @Zinith @osby @Iridium Opossum Opossum @Cutie Gwen @Yoshisaurus Rex @tehponycorn @Nekoo @Tougon @Alastor017 @Mr. Wario @Wademan94 Gentlepanda Gentlepanda Pyra Pyra @Rie Sonomura @staindgrey @Flyboy @ClaTheBae Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo @RandomAce @Luigi The President @Legendary Spirit Tamer @praline @KMDP @NonSpecificGuy @Shishœ and a ton of other people that I either have no time to mention, or people I just completely forgot about

You all made this thread a blast to be a part of, and I hope to be able to chat with you guys in another thread...
Ah ****, better make a post too.

As I’ve said before, there are a ton of cool people here, too many for me to list. Specific shoutouts to @tehponycorn @Luigi The President @Noipoi @faygoshill Pyra Pyra @Flyboy Opossum Opossum Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo @Bionichute @Idon @Nekoo

I am definitely forgetting people, but if you’re reading this know that I think you’re cool too. As I said, I had a ton of fun here and had some nice discussions even if my time was limited. I hope my dumb jokes made you laugh. Internally chuckle at least. So uh.
Bye.
(Oh, and #duonforsmash
might as well put that joke to rest while I’m at it)
School had me for a while.

Anyway, still haven't spent a year here. Even that hasn't stopped me from being familiar with more people than I was expecting. Does anybody else ever think "what if [insert anything] never happened?" to themselves? If I never considered buying Smash and watching tourneys, I probably would have never been here at all. Not the most emotive person in the world, but I can say I have made friends here. I don't know if I'll be posting here frequently in the future, but who knows?

So, thanks to:

Okay, back to the edgy personality.
Listen, I love you all too, and if I wasn't too lazy to make a list you'll all probably be on it, but being tagged this many times made me think I was right again about something so first of all how dare you and second of all I'll see you in the next thread. Be sure to like, comment, and subscribe.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
life got in the way but it's still on my list.

Listen, I love you all too, and if I wasn't too lazy to make a list you'll all probably be on it, but being tagged this many times made me think I was right again about something so first of all how dare you and second of all I'll see you in the next thread. Be sure to like, comment, and subscribe.
tfw you get tagged multiple times so you think something groundbreaking about Brave must have come out in a datamine but you get to the thread and its people giving you well wishes so now you're internally conflicted but feel nice all the same

D

Deleted member

i still don't understand why everyone is tagging people and making all these goodbye messages when we still have a couple days and there's gonna be a new thread but i respect y'all the same and all of you are valid

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

its ok nobody who browses this thread is fully straight anyways
But what if there is someone whose fully straight that browses this thread? :think:

Anyways, I haven't paid attention to Kingdom Hearts in so long, I forgot KH3 is releasing in literally two weeks. About damn time.

D

Deleted member

smh, we still don't have a single song from any Pokemon spinoff in Smash
What the **** gives Nintendo

D

Deleted member

Kingdom Heart's story telling as indivdual games can be pretty good, like 358/2 and Birth By Sleep for example, but as a whole it's just a big giant cluster****, and I have a feeling KH3 won't do anything different to change that lol.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
if y'all guys out there think you're 100% straight then you won't once you feast your eyes on this

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Of course he is, he's the only one to stab Ganondorf right into his skull and successfully "kill him" rather than just "sealing him away", after all... :ulttoonlink:

And he has to piece together his Triforce. Not just receive it all in one neat little triangle.

D

Deleted member

Kingdom Heart's story telling as indivdual games can be pretty good, like 358/2 and Birth By Sleep for example, but as a whole it's just a big giant cluster****, and I have a feeling KH3 won't do anything different to change that lol.
You need at least a Master's Degree in Kingdom Heartology.
A Master's Degree can be obtained for any game by playing through it to completion including all bonus scenes at least 3 times. The degree is harder to obtain for games that exist as a continued story in a series, like Kingdom hearts, but can be easier for single-story games like Final Fantasy 7 (which is independent of the others with only small references made to other games or references to its lore made in Ultimania).

I have a Master's in Kingdom Hearts as well as Final Fantasies 6-10.

Joking aside, I have played them enough to have a decent grasp on the story. It is confusing, though, due to Xehanort (main antagonist) jumping bodies and recruiting alt universe 'versions' of himself or whatnot in order to create an ultimate Keyblade, whose name is pronounced 'Keyblade', but spelling is using some Greek letter followed by 'blade', so it looks like something different, but pronounced the same as every other keyblade lol.

I honestly think the biggest problem with understanding the story stems from the fact that they spent way, WAY, too long delaying the mainline games in favor of these tinier backstories which only flesh out background things. The game can be fully played and understood only by playing Kh 1, 2 (and presumably 3). While games like Birth By Sleep or Chain of Memories do add some background, it ends up being more like an 'Easter Egg' since they don't actually change the story's understanding and everything can be understood just by playing the main games.

D

Deleted member

mystery dungeon got shafted
But what if there is someone whose fully straight that browses this thread? :think:

Anyways, I haven't paid attention to Kingdom Hearts in so long, I forgot KH3 is releasing in literally two weeks. About damn time.
pfft anyone who lays an eye on this awful dumpster fire of a thread and decided to stay here is probably a disaster gay in at least some small part

D

Deleted member

mystery dungeon got shafted

pfft anyone who lays an eye on this awful dumpster fire of a thread and decided to stay here is probably a disaster gay
You need at least a Master's Degree in Kingdom Heartology.
A Master's Degree can be obtained for any game by playing through it to completion including all bonus scenes at least 3 times. The degree is harder to obtain for games that exist as a continued story in a series, like Kingdom hearts, but can be easier for single-story games like Final Fantasy 7 (which is independent of the others with only small references made to other games or references to its lore made in Ultimania).

I have a Master's in Kingdom Hearts as well as Final Fantasies 6-10.

Joking aside, I have played them enough to have a decent grasp on the story. It is confusing, though, due to Xehanort (main antagonist) jumping bodies and recruiting alt universe 'versions' of himself or whatnot in order to create an ultimate Keyblade, whose name is pronounced 'Keyblade', but spelling is using some Greek letter followed by 'blade', so it looks like something different, but pronounced the same as every other keyblade lol.

I honestly think the biggest problem with understanding the story stems from the fact that they spent way, WAY, too long developing the mainline games in favor of these tinier backstories which only flesh out background things. The game can be fully played and understood only by playing Kh 1, 2 (and presumably 3). While games like Birth By Sleep or Chain of Memories do add some background, it ends up being more like an 'Easter Egg' since they don't actually change the story's understanding and everything can be understood just by playing the main games.
I thought I had an understanding of the whole series. Then Dream Drop Distance pulled with the Young Xehanort, every villian ever being revived, and said "Suprise ************".

D

Deleted member

I thought I had an understanding of the whole series. Then Dream Drop Distance pulled with the Young Xehanort, every villian ever being revived, and said "Suprise ************".
Yeah. I suppose if anyone wants to brush up though...and had several hours to dissect what its talking about....they could read through a Wiki on the series. I may have to do that myself for DDD since I only played it once. I only have a strong grasp on the main series + Birth By Sleep lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
When's Bobobo-bo-bobobo?
KH3 will probably add more cluster to the **** and I wouldnt have it any other way

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Never the less I still wanted her because I also found her unique even if she were to had been an echo.

And man why do I keep forgetting about Dark Samus. Either way more female villains, the merrier. Heck I would had even welcomed Medusa as a boss or assist trophy if it had to come down to it.

Also I ship :ultkrool:xMedusa
I'm going to have to go with Kerrigan here. Give her the Zero Suit Samus reduction and she should be fine.

Cammy Bison is also acceptable:

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
i still don't understand why everyone is tagging people and making all these goodbye messages when we still have a couple days and there's gonna be a new thread but i respect y'all the same and all of you are valid
1. It's the end of this particular thread which has a lot of memories.
2. Shouting out is a nice thing to do (even I did it)
3. Wow, respecting and validating something you don't understand? Good job!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Not only that
But also the Ranger games, Shuffle, and A ****ING TYPING GAME
Woah woah woah we can't go mentioning Pokemon spinoffs getting shafted in the Smash music department and then just leave out the Colosseum/XD games. Now those games have some tracks which are dying to be remixed.

D

Deleted member

Woah woah woah we can't go mentioning Pokemon spinoffs getting shafted in the Smash music department and then just leave out the Colosseum/XD games. Now those games have some tracks which are dying to be remixed.
Oh yes, I forgot those two. oops

D

Deleted member

God Pokemon Colosseum was the ****, man. Wes was such a badass.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The whole issue is that it isn't Nintendo's call.

Pokémon is a massive copyright barrier as it is, but most of the spin-off titles are made by outside third-party companies, like Chunsoft for Mystery Dungeon and Genius Sonority for the Orre games and Trozei/Shuffle. In these instances Nintendo themselves are barely even involved outside of publishing, and it's usually done solely by the third party company and TPCI.

So basically, in these instances, you already have the issues that come with Pokémon itself being owned by three different companies, and THEN add another company into the fold for further confusion.

That's very likely why most Pokémon spin-offs never get content in Smash, not some spite against them.

D

Deleted member

The whole issue is that it isn't Nintendo's call.

Pokémon is a massive copyright barrier as it is, but most of the spin-off titles are made by outside third-party companies, like Chunsoft for Mystery Dungeon and Genius Sonority for the Orre games and Trozei/Shuffle. In these instances Nintendo themselves are barely even involved outside of publishing, and it's usually done solely by the third party company and TPCI.

So basically, in these instances, you already have the issues that come with Pokémon itself being owned by three different companies, and THEN add another company into the fold for further confusion.

That's very likely why most Pokémon spin-offs never get content in Smash, not some spite against them.
Oh
God ****ing DAMMIT

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Oh yes, I forgot those two. oops
Though to be fair, Pokemon does pretty well in the remix department in Smash overall. If you go to the music menu in Ultimate you can see how many tracks have blue or red triangles next to them, signifying they've been remixed. For Pokemon it's the vast majority.

For Sonic? ... ehhhh

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh
God ****ing DAMMIT
To go even further, only two Pokémon spinoffs have ever gotten content in Smash: Pokémon Snap (with Melee's Zero-One trophy) and Detective Pikachu (with the Detective Pikachu spirit). But the difference lies in who made these games. Pokémon Snap was made by HAL Labs, which likely made things a hell of a lot easier considering they also made Melee. There was no extra company to consult. Likewise, Creatures Inc. made Detective Pikachu, and considering they're one of the three companies that share ownership over Pokémon, there was no extra company to consult there either.

D

Deleted member

To go even further, only two Pokémon spinoffs have ever gotten content in Smash: Pokémon Snap (with Melee's Zero-One trophy) and Detective Pikachu (with the Detective Pikachu spirit). But the difference lies in who made these games. Pokémon Snap was made by HAL Labs, which likely made things a hell of a lot easier considering they also made Melee. There was no extra company to consult. Likewise, Creatures Inc. made Detective Pikachu, and considering they're one of the three companies that share ownership over Pokémon, there was no extra company to consult there either.
Quit making me sad my dude
I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and now I know they'll never be represented in Smash

Pakky

Smash Hero

So since a season 2 of DLC is probably in the cards since Nintendo is going to hit that 20 million goal. I've been thinking maybe Spirits don't deconfirm characters. No:ultpiranha: spirits are kinda weird but that might not even mean anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom