• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
This is a stupid question and I’ll get ridiculed for asking this but....

Is there a character literally named Brave?

Or at the very least has a name that contains the word “brave”?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Everyone is laggy!"
It's actually just an older version of Dolphin making the lag.

Is Joker's name actually Jack? :smirk:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I present to you "Braev Lee" from the game "Bravely Default"
His main strategy is to block or "default"
so literally,
"Braev Lee defaults"

Yusa

Smash Cadet
It is a terrible match up for heavies, but not totally the problem.

You said you were rushing in? Well that's exactly what Link wants you to do as a heavy, believe it or not. He wants you to run strait into his sword. You've got to be patient and opportunistic. Corner him and wait for an opening. Then once and if you win neutral, that's your chance to be aggressive and rush him down.
Thank you, i'll be trying to adhere to this. I just sometimes get impatient to stop the hail...

KMDP

Smash Legend
I like Celica but I’m honestly having trouble not thinking of her as a Robin echo.
To be honest, at best she'd be a Ken type echo (by which I mean barely an Echo at all).

Celica is more of a Light-magic user, which has different applications to the Anima and Dark magic Robin uses, the only spells she shares with Robin is Fire and Thunder.

She'd probably have Warp as her Recovery (not that she's able to learn Warp in Gaiden/Echoes, others can, so you can use the same logic as with Ness and Lucas).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
To be honest, at best she'd be a Ken type echo (by which I mean barely an Echo at all).

Celica is more of a Light-magic user, which has different applications to the Anima and Dark magic Robin uses, the only spells she shares with Robin is Fire and Thunder.

She'd probably have Warp as her Recovery (not that she's able to learn Warp in Gaiden/Echoes, others can, so you can use the same logic as with Ness and Lucas).
tfw celica trailer starts and the first thing she does is dancing blade but it's got a light magic aesthetic

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean, couldn't one of the versions at least be this one?

Only if it includes a whole remixed song based solely on Garon moaning in pain to make a sick beat...but in Japanese...we gonna have a song to dethrone Ring a Ding

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Fair enough, though it looks like Excalibur would function similar to Elwind.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Doesn't she actually HAVE Nosferatu? Pretty sure most, if not all magic users learned it in Echoes
Celica is actually one of the few characters in Echoes who doesn't learn Nosferatu.

She learns Fire, Seraphim, Thunder, Recover, Excalibur, Ragnarok and Ragnarok Ω.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Both Celica's swordplay and casting method are completely different from Robin's. Honestly the worry of her being an echo or semiclone is pretty unfounded.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh, I'm not saying she can't work as a Robin echo. :laugh:
I've seen this argument a lot - and people are always really hostile on both sides.

So let's see how far we can go with this :troll:

Think about your most wanted character, and think about the character from Smash which is closest to them mechanically. Would you rather...
  • Your favorite gets in as Smash Ultimate DLC as an echo. While it may seem contrived, the animations work well enough, but there's so much missed potential (think Dark Samus or Peach). Also, you never know if your character could get Ganondorf'd and never get a proper kit.
  • Your character is omitted wholesale from Smash Ultimate, allowing them to get a fully appropriate moveset in a later Smash. Whenever that happens. If they're selected in the first place... So, pretty much there's no guarantee you'll ever get them in Smash.
Honestly, I'd take the echo if I could guarantee my characters getting in. Ganondorf felt great in Brawl, and now he feels beyond incredible, so I'm not too fussed that he's missing a lot (honestly, I'm way more disappointed about losing the TP looks). I've never been fully against clones...as long as I like the character (either the parent or the child). The only clones that annoyed me were Sm4sh's, which were three clones from three movesets I disliked and characters I was indifferent to at best. But Daisy/Peach? Excellent choice.

I'm all for more echoes. Tails over Sonic chief among them. Heck, if comeone gave me Dovahkiin over Robin or Link, I'd be really confused, but I'd be 100% okay with it as soon as I saw Kirby with the hat.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
What did you have in mind for how Seraphim would translate into her down special?

Also Ragnarok for her Final Smash no question.
What did I have in mind?

Just have Seraphim as a big blast of Light Magic. :laugh:
I've seen this argument a lot - and people are always really hostile on both sides.

Think about your most wanted character, and think about the character from Smash which is closest to them mechanically. Would you rather...
  • Your favorite gets in as Smash Ultimate DLC as an echo. While it may seem contrived, the animations work well enough, but there's so much missed potential (think Dark Samus or Peach). Also, you never know if your character could get Ganondorf'd and never get a proper kit.
  • Your character is omitted wholesale from Smash Ultimate, allowing them to get a fully appropriate moveset in a later Smash. Whenever that happens. If they're selected in the first place... So, pretty much there's no guarantee you'll ever get them in Smash.
Honestly, I'd take the echo if I could guarantee my characters getting in. Ganondorf felt great in Brawl, and now he feels beyond incredible, so I'm not too fussed that he's missing a lot (honestly, I'm way more disappointed about losing the TP looks). I've never been fully against clones...as long as I like the character (either the parent or the child). The only clones that annoyed me were Sm4sh's, which were three clones from three movesets I disliked and characters I was indifferent to at best. But Daisy/Peach? Excellent choice.

I'm all for more echoes. Tails over Sonic chief among them. Heck, if comeone gave me Dovahkiin over Robin or Link, I'd be really confused, but I'd be 100% okay with it as soon as I saw Kirby with the hat.
Well, my most wanted is Isaac... so...

There isn't really anyone who he'd be able to be transplanted over, the ones who'd work best (Marth and Roy) are already taken.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'd take the echo option for Bandana Dee. Meta Knight works well enough, and we could port K.Rool's up B as Spear Copter.

Kamek or Marx though, I don't know. Neither of them have a really fitting match (maybe Kamek could be Zelda).

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
What did I have in mind?

Just have Seraphim as a big blast of Light Magic. :laugh:
Fair enough.

Well, my most wanted is Isaac... so...

There isn't really anyone who he'd be able to be transplanted over, the ones who'd work best (Marth and Roy) are already taken.
I know you were mentioning him in relation to him becoming an echo, but I think Isaac would be better off as a unique fighter with Felix as HIS echo.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Fair enough.

I know you were mentioning him in relation to him becoming an echo, but I think Isaac would be better off as a unique fighter with Felix as HIS echo.
Yeah, I'd rather take option 2 for Isaac.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman

I'd take Terra as a Robin echo and Cecil as an Ike echo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have no idea why Nintendo is so afraid of a T Rating.
The reason is that:
higher adult ratings = less sales

Nintendo's not going to risk a couple hundred thousand sales just so a character can be slightly more true to character.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have no idea why Nintendo is so afraid of a T Rating.
I doubt they want to associate relatively family friendly brands like Mario and Pokemon with a T rating, nowadays...
In fact, the only T rated games that featured Mario and Pokemon characters, were Melee and Brawl

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I think it depends on the move set cloned.

I wanted Daisy so bad. But I don't like Peach's move set. Yes, she's in the game and looks great and people are playing her, but I'M not really enjoying playing her. It's incredibly bittersweet.

If, say, Midna + Wolf Link were clones of Duck Hunt, I'd be equal parts excited she got in and dreading trying to play her. If Jill or Leon were clones of Snake, I'd be okay with it. I can handle that move set.

Then a character like NiGHTS, I mean... Who the hell would they clone to make that happen? Anything we could come up with would be incredibly disingenuous to the character. There are some characters who just can't be clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom