• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
A certain space pirate says hi!
Wolf or Ridley? Can't be sure with those two hmmm... Oh, right, Wolf's a mercenary, my bad.
Well, what can i say, he's violent, but he's a bad guy, doomguy is the main hero but he rips aliens appart in an explosion of blood and gore so, well, get what i mean? :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Gotta say what I expect with DLC characters and what seems likely :

Joker, we know he's gotta get in, and persona is huge right now, but what appeals me the most is.... how will the use of Persona will be in Smash?! I think that's gonna be quite unique.... and OP (i still have shivers thinking about the fresh new Bayo sm4sh)

Erdrick, I think he's pretty much given at this point, and the idea of having a new sword and shield character who isn't a Link is very exciting. But more than that, he/she is probably gonna have MAGIC! He's gonna be like Robin.... but without books..... and with a shield !

Ryu Hayabusa? Yeah, no, I think he would be great as a NES character but.... we have two ninjas already, with Greninja and Sheik. Use legs to fight? Sheik. Use edges to fight? Kinda Greninja. I really don't think he would add that much diversity that Reggie told the dlc would bring...

Steve? I don't care if it's minecraft, that's the least charismatic character of the lot. Steve is just a walking skin with a stick in his a**. He doesn't have an animation to jump in his own game, he cannot do anything, how can you even imagine him as a character? All his tilts, smash and aerials would look the same. The only different animation he has is when he swim, and it was just a few months ago... No, that's just silly.............
But if he gets in, really, don't mind what i said, kay? ;)

And finally Doomguy.... No. Don't think so. Bye. Should i bother explain? no. huh?.... i should? .... Damn... huh... well, he's over violen- BAYONETTA - Yeah I know, she's kinda sexy, violent and not really family friendly but she gave a new type of gameplay. And Bayo2 is a Nintendo exclusivity.... I think she kinda deserved her spot. Doomguy? No, he's not fitting in.

Now who do I think could make it in? Well i'm no leaker, but I have some thinkings :

There's a genre non-represented in smash who would need some spotlight in the near futur and that's.... beat-them-all ! A genre smash knows very well ! In that categorie there's three contenders :
Final fight, but that would mean more Capcom, and more Street fighter since most characters from Final Fight got into the fighting game.
Double dragon, really iconic and one of the first ones. Could really easily give us a new way to fight with two peoples (unlike Ice Climbers and Rosalina, maybe switching between the two would be nice? Or maybe some moves with two characters...)
Street of Rage, never really got on Nintendo software, but that doesn't seem to stop Nintendo this time around. A fourth one is coming, and it would be nice to have that little push, thanks to Smash.

If what Vergeben said is true, i think we could get a Banjo-Kazooie with his boss being from Minecraft, as a two-in-a-pot package from microsoft. Would please the fans AND promote minecraft.

There's a way to get Dante also in smash, with DMC5 coming. A Switch version for it and for DMC HD Collection could be on the way, getting a way in to Dante, joining hand with his friend Bayo. Sword and guns combos could really be fun to play. Not really believing in that one but, hey, never know.

Then, imma throw a few ideas about a possible Bandai Namco rep. Them helping with smash and having just Pacman is weird, so i could really well see a character from one of those :
Tales of.... but unlikely right? Already too much jrpgs.
Soul Calibur? Hum, nah.
Tekken? More possible, but still meh.
Dark Souls? I like the idea of Solaire being a character.

Just speculating, tell me what you think about what i said ^^
Omega laugh at thinking Doomguy wouldn't bring a just as unique type of gameplay as Bayo. Bad pointers. "Doomguy isn't fitting in" so this barbarian ass dude from the 1600's who kills vampires fits in with the family friendly fun cast of the game? Also Solid Snake exists in Smash? And also Joker? Come on dude

You even point out how Erdrick will be like Robin...the "Ryu would be like other ninjas" point is stupid and moot. Ike is just a Fire Emblem swordsman!...and entirely unique from all other sword users.

Not trying to be rude. I just wanted to point the points I perceive as poor out so you can learn from critique.

D

Deleted member

Probably cause it doesn't have extremely unbelievable elements or contradicts Sakurai's statements. It actually makes sense. Nor does it have any leakers saying why it's impossible. Or a visual aid that we can dissect. The evidence towards it is also more useful with the datamine. It didn't help the Grinch leak in comparison.
There's nothing going against it, but there's really nothing going for it either....

D

Deleted member

So I'm finally writing up my Steve character argument, and I figured that this part would be relevant to the current conversation about "popular" characters.
One of the most prominent arguments against Steve is that he's not a popular choice among fans, with speculators citing fan poll after fan poll to prove this. One GameFAQs user even said of polls like this,

Oh GameFAQs how you never cease to amuse me.

All of these polls fall into the same trap of being contained within the "Smash Bubble" as myself and others have coined it. What exactly is the "Smash Bubble" though? If I had to define it, I would as such:

While the contribution of these focused fans isn't to be ignored, as evidenced by K. Rool's immense Ballot presence in part due to the Kutthroat's Ballot Campaign and Sakurai's statements on Ridley and Geno, a flaw of the fanbase at large is a general insistence that those within the Smash Bubble are the only Smash Bros. fans and that by not catering to them specifically, Nintendo is making a mistake. This sentiment completely ignores other fanbases outside of the core fanbase which gave us picks such as Isabelle and Simon Belmont.

"But tehponycorn" you say, "Simon was a popular pick! Sakurai even said so himself!" Take a look at the many fan polls listed above and tell me how many Simon prominently appears on. The answer is 3. While 3/12 may seem like modest popularity, his votes total less than 1,000, and he's listed among many other, more popular third party characters. That hardly lines up with Sakurai's statement of Castlevania being "popular in player polls." So, there's a disconnect between what fan polls show and actual popularity? Why is this?

I propose an explanation in two parts:

First, all fan polls by nature fall prey to Voluntary Response Bias, defined as:

Every Smash fan poll cited majorly falls within the Smash Bubble because those within the Smash Bubble are most inclined to vote on polls like these. Granted, even the official Smash Ballot itself falls prey to this, and indeed those within the Smash Bubble would be much more inclined to vote in an official poll like this, but any bias within it is made up for by the Law of Large Numbers, defined as:

The official nature of the poll and the advertising conducted for it extended the reach of the poll to even casual fans, which is why it's so important to establish this disconnect. The largest, most recent Smash fan poll as of right now is the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, with over 50,000 votes. In comparison, the Smash Ballot collected 1.8 million votes (360 times more votes), making it much closer to the wants of the entire Smash Bros. fanbase, hence why picks like Simon Belmont can float by the core fanbase largely undetected.

Second, there exists a strong, silent majority of fans outside of the core fanbase that has sway in character picks. People tend to forget that Nintendo tries to market Smash Bros. for everyone, or at the very least, the largest amount of people possible. It doesn't matter if you're a child whose mom bought him a Switch for Christmas or someone who's been with them since the NES, so long as you're a fan of Nintendo you might as well be considered a part of the Smash Bros. fanbase. Naturally, the wider Nintendo fanbase is largely varied, and outside of the Smash Bubble exists many different demographics with different character desires. This is how we end up with picks like Isabelle, who caters to the larger, more casual fanbase who see Isabelle often.

Returning to the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, you'll notice that Sora and Phoenix Wright scored better than they typically do in other fan polls, taking 5th and 8th place respectively, and garnering a total 20,883 votes, equal to around 40% of votes in the final round. This is impressive for two characters usually ignored within the Smash Bubble, or at the very least overlooked in favor of other, more popular speculation picks. The poll includes this interesting fact about them:

If a larger reddit fan poll was able to attract people outside of Reddit's r/SmashBros, then a poll as massive as the official Ballot would be able to attract people from all over, giving a skew towards the silent majority, as anyone could vote on it, even people outside of the regular Nintendo or Smash Bros. fanbase.

To make a long story short, there is a silent presence outside of the Smash Bubble. It is large and it is more powerful than many think. While our Smash Bubble is a prominent part of the fanbase, Nintendo has a much wider fanbase to appeal to as well, and the Smash Bubble isn't indicative of Smash Bros. fans in general.
Full read coming soon.
Good write up but I’d kinda disagree with sora being mostly ignored by the smash fan base. That hardly matters to your overall point though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I believe it was orignally on 5chan before being translated over unto gamefaqs, which then spread outwards from there.

Took you long enough.
*****, that move is so iconic, POKEMON RIPPED IT OFF.
Considering you'd be able to land on other enemies in FFAs or doubles, Imma get the true Skyrider experience out of this by yelling "SANTEN DUROOOOOOPU!" constantly

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah okay because my attempt is to 100% complete it. I'm down for the challenge though.
If you haven't already, I recommend taking a break and doing some Spirit Board challenges. Not only will that let you get some nice spirits but it will level up some spirits you plan on using. Some challenges get hard without it.

Also worth noting that many spirits only appear on the spirit board.

D

Deleted member

I believe it was orignally on 5chan before being translated over unto gamefaqs, which then spread outwards from there.

Took you long enough.
*****, that move is so iconic, POKEMON RIPPED IT OFF.
tbf Ryu didn’t invent the izuna drop, it’s pretty much become a generic ninja move across fiction.
Won’t deny that Ryu is probably one of the most iconic users of it though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's nothing going against it, but there's really nothing going for it either....
Grinch Leak had more evidence of why it would be fake than this does, basically.

Hence, one is more believable. Not saying that this has any evidence for it either. The evidence for Erdrick via the datamine is separate from the 5 character leak, to note. There's no actual evidence of the 5 character leak being fake we can find. I'm sure this'll change as we get more visuals.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If you haven't already, I recommend taking a break and doing some Spirit Board challenges. Not only will that let you get some nice spirits but it will level up some spirits you plan on using. Some challenges get hard without it.

Also worth noting that many spirits only appear on the spirit board.
Oh believe me I ain't gonna do it in one sitting I imagine World of Light is gonna take some time.

Also I'll do that thanks for the suggestion.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly out of the rumored characters on that potential leak they all seem super cool but none really seem like ones that would really hype me up for the pass like Joker for this one did and how Cloud and Bayonetta did for last game's DLC

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Grinch Leak had more evidence of why it would be fake than this does, basically.

Hence, one is more believable. Not saying that this has any evidence for it either. The evidence for Erdrick via the datamine is separate from the 5 character leak, to note.
Tbh the Grinch stuff is pretty impressive as just like ArtsyOmni's Rayman thing, it got a company seemingly involved to speak up about it. Shame people had to be such babies about the Grinch

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
Omega laugh at thinking Doomguy wouldn't bring a just as unique type of gameplay as Bayo. Bad pointers. "Doomguy isn't fitting in" so this barbarian *** dude from the 1600's who kills vampires fits in with the family friendly fun cast of the game? Also Solid Snake exists in Smash? And also Joker? Come on dude

You even point out how Erdrick will be like Robin...the "Ryu would be like other ninjas" point is stupid and moot. Ike is just a Fire Emblem swordsman!...and entirely unique from all other sword users.

Not trying to be rude. I just wanted to point the points I perceive as poor out so you can learn from critique.
I don't mind, that's what talking is for ^^.
Actually my point about doomguy is not his gameplay, but really his whole character. The fact with Simon and Richter is.... okay, dracula is out, but would you let a children play Castlevania on Nes, Snes? Yes, because it's friendly. Of course vampire are not friendly, so is war, but fire emblem is full of countries at war. Did anyone complain? No. Would i let a children play doom? no. It's full of blood and gore, and putting doomguy in smash would probably mean ripping him of this violent behavior? Would you put a Mortal Kombat character in smash with the price being no fatality? NO. Or you just don't care.

And thank god i said Erdrick would be like Robin but with a shield. I did say i was excited to see another shield user other than link, but i suppose you passed too quickly on that, it can happen ^^

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hence, one is more believable. Not saying that this has any evidence for it either. The evidence for Erdrick via the datamine is separate from the 5 character leak, to note.
Precisely.

The ONE point that this leak has going for it.....is the weakest point possible.
We've had people saying we're getting another SE character/a DQ character specifically/Erdrick specifically to the point that even with Erdrick being all but confirmed at this point from the datamine, that doesn't really help the case for the OTHERS on the list.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I love how the Grinch leak attracted a bunch of assholes to the site...

And then they left as soon as it was gone.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Jokes on you, I played it!
I'm really biting my tongue not to scream at you now but if living on the internet had thought me anything it's that you won't budge.

I'll Just pretend people are allowed to have an opinion this once.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Probably cause it doesn't have extremely unbelievable elements or contradicts Sakurai's statements. It actually makes sense. Nor does it have any leakers saying why it's impossible. Or a visual aid that we can dissect. The evidence towards it is also more useful with the datamine. It didn't help the Grinch leak in comparison.
One big unbelievable element; it has all 5 characters and their reasoning.
I feel this should be enough.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Good write up but I’d kinda disagree with sora being mostly ignored by the smash fan base. That hardly matters to your overall point though.
That's why I said "ignored or overlooked."

You can't deny that a lot of Sora discussion is deflected by people saying "He's Disney" and bringing up another topic.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Anyone remember the exact page the Grinch leak died? It is for uh...science.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as I know, that’s not entirely correct.

Last we heard from Verge, the Minecraft content wasn’t even Steve, but a boss. Once again, this has still not been found in the code. This was the biggest point that people originally provided in support of Steve before the leaking “confusion”.

A lack of detracting evidence doesn’t indicate that the leak is legitimate, and it shouldn’t be viewed that way despite not being torn to shreds by “insiders”.

D

Deleted member

That's why I said "ignored or overlooked."

You can't deny that a lot of Sora discussion is deflected by people saying "He's Disney" and bringing up another topic.
Eh, sometimes, but on most places I go discussion seems to be “yeah sora would be cool”. People only really bring up Disney when talking about likeliness, and even then that’s fair and I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen HMK’s video.

Shroob

Sup?
As far as I know, that’s not entirely correct.

Last we heard from Verge, the Minecraft content wasn’t even Steve, but a boss. Once again, this has still not been found in the code. This was the biggest point that people originally provided in support of Steve before the leaking “confusion”.

A lack of detracting evidence doesn’t indicate that the leak is legitimate, and it shouldn’t be viewed that way despite not being torn to shreds by “insiders”.
Mate, you're looking too deep into this.

Most people discussing it, don't actually believe it, we're just bored and there's nothing else interesting to discuss right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom