• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never said anyone had to do that, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Furthermore, Melee's influence goes far beyond the competitive community, it's still a brilliant party game, and at the time that was the primary reason for its success.

Even then, not caring about something isn't the problem, in fact it'd be lovely if more people would continue to just not care instead of turning that into a genuine dislike for something, just because others like it.
I don't dislike Melee because others like it, I dislike it because it just wasn't fun compared to later games.

Also, it's not like later games don't get hate despite also being good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey Guys!!! ONLY 4 MORE DAYS UNTIL I CAN PLAY! :3
But... I'm not going to be here on the day I get to play it. Chances are, this is the last day I'll be here until 2019-- January 7th, to be specific.
Still, I hope we can have an amazing day together today! ^w^

osby

Smash Obsessed
But... I'm not going to be here on the day I get to play it. Chances are, this is the last day I'll be here until 2019-- January 7th, to be specific.
Have fun with the game!

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
You’re gonna love Ultimate. It’s a blast to play!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hope you enjoy the game

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
You guys know what I hate the most about this fanbase whenever a new Smash game comes out? "Meh, this current one isn't so great. It's lackluster now that the shiny new one is coming out soon. In fact, this prequel was never good at all."

Bonus points if they unfavorably compare that game to Melee. Smash 4 in particular has been getting a ton of heat recently. It feels like it became the red-headed stepchild of the franchise.
To be fair, I didn't like smash 4 about 2 years into the game's lifespan. Besides its obvious lack of decent single players content, top level play was extremely boring and me and my friends really didn't have much fun playing it.

But yeah, it seems like since Ultimate came out, more people hate Smash 4. It's either a bandwagon thing, or the game's flaws are just sticking out more in hindsight, which could also be the case

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I finished unlocking stuff/WoL/the Classics I cared about and

I no longer have fun with the game, I've never played a game that forces me to not have fun constantly.
This is a major disappointment I thought this game would last me years like smash 4, but both quick play and arena battles are unbelievably bad.
I had more fun before release with the game tbh

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

I no longer have fun with the game, I've never played a game that forces me to not have fun constantly.
This is a major disappointment I thought this game would last me years like smash 4, but both quick play and arena battles are unbelievably bad.
I don't share this complaint exactly since I have a lot of friends to play with IRL but I see what you mean. The single player content for me was extremely lackluster, and online is still garbage unless you get your desired characters into elite smash, and even then there's still some problems with it.

D

Deleted member

I really really hope that I enjoy the game more than you do :(

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Maybe All-Star mode should have had every character in it from the start and after defeating each one after the original eight a new character gets unlocked. Sounds like a good way to incorporating unlocking every character, but in a quicker fashion.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But yeah, it seems like since Ultimate came out, more people hate Smash 4. It's either a bandwagon thing, or the game's flaws are just sticking out more in hindsight, which could also be the case
pepersonally Id say 50...no 80% bandwaggon and 20% actual hate

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, I didn't like smash 4 about 2 years into the game's lifespan. Besides its obvious lack of decent single players content, top level play was extremely boring and me and my friends really didn't have much fun playing it.

personally Id say 50...no 80% bandwaggon and 20% actual hate
I still love Smash 4... :(

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Smash is a game where, the more you play it, the more you see its just the same thing as all the other smash games overtime and everything starts to feel the same
I still love Smash 4... :(
Same here even tho smash has gotten stale from repetition. Ill probably do what Did with 4, stop playing up until Joker comes out

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Smash is a game where, the more you play it, the more you see its just the same thing as all the other smash games overtime and everything starts to feel the same
In the end it is a fighting game, and thus meant to be played multiplayer, so a lot of the changes the game implements will be purely mechanical ones. I don't necessarily EXPECT a bunch of good single player content, but brawl stood out due to SSE being particularly good, which is what made Smash 4 so disappointing in retrospect in my opinion. The mechanics changes in Sm4sh were welcome but weren't enough. Thankfully it feels as if they went the extra mile to give us a complete mechanics overhaul in Ultimate.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
In the end it is a fighting game, and thus meant to be played multiplayer, so a lot of the changes the game implements will be purely mechanical ones. I don't necessarily EXPECT a bunch of good single player content, but brawl stood out due to SSE being particularly good, which is what made Smash 4 so disappointing in retrospect in my opinion. The mechanics changes in Sm4sh were welcome but weren't enough. Thankfully it feels as if they went the extra mile to give us a complete mechanics overhaul in Ultimate.
i personally dont see smash as a fighting game, BB, GG, SF Ect, those are fighting games but Smash, nah. But yeah thats beside the point and a whole nother topic. I get what your sayin

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
i personally dont see smash as a fighting game, BB, GG, SF Ect, those are fighting ganes but Smash, nah. But yeah thats beside the point and a whole nother topic. I get what your sayin
I've never understood this, can you explain it to me?
Like I've heard this a lot but, the game's only mechanic is fighting. It's not a platformer or a mario party clone, and even in mini-games and subgames you rely on the fighting mechanic to achieve a good score. You'll spend 99% of the game fighting others, whether it be computers or actual people. I don't understand this point about it somehow not being a fighter

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
i personally dont see smash as a fighting game, BB, GG, SF Ect, those are fighting games but Smash, nah. But yeah thats beside the point and a whole nother topic. I get what your sayin
It's technically a platform fighting game. It's not only a party game like Mario Party, but treating it like a traditional fighting game like Street Fighter is also missing the mark.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Smash has been officially described as a “Fighting-Party Game”. So that’s how I see it.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Here, other one that wasnt into Smash 4.

The Wii U version didnt catched me, I dont know why, in part I think is for the fact that missed the army dude (Snake) and that we didnt get an adventure mode.

I played the 3ds version more, at the time I was all day in the college, but still, I prefered to play Pokemon XY or ORAS, or Mario Kart.

With Ultimate I got my passion for Smash again, and here I am, every day trying to git gud with Falco, Snake and Cap Falcon.

For me Ultimate > Melee > Brawl > 4.

Didnt play the 64 one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was wondering if you could make a nice mix for the eight dolls in my sig? Something like a song that mixes something from AC, DKC, SMB & PKMN together, I hope that doesn't sound too complicated if so just pick one song that you think fits them all.
Hmmmm... I'm sorry, it is a bit too complicated. :urg:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I've never understood this, can you explain it to me?
Like I've heard this a lot but, the game's only mechanic is fighting. It's not a platformer or a mario party clone, and even in mini-games and subgames you rely on the fighting mechanic to achieve a good score. You'll spend 99% of the game fighting others, whether it be computers or actual people. I don't understand this point about it somehow not being a fighter
well I did say personally it my opinions are kinda different then everyone elses on what i consider a fighting gane.Its hard to explain my opinion without being told its wrong

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Personally, Im happy playing with the GC Controller but...

Do you guys recommend me to start playing with the Pro Controller?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Pro Controller player here it's not that bad. I'd only go for the GameCube controller from the stage of purposes and that's really it but the Pro Controller works just fine

D

Deleted member

Don't change if you don't want to! If you're happy with it, keep going!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There I fixed your mistake.
If only you changed the quote into something g that was actually correct and not...what you done did

It’s a very great controller to use, not better than the GC Controller, but the Pro is unreasonably great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom