• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well I mean at the very least Smash got more PS1 icons than PSABR.

That's going to be even further cemented if Crash gets in as DLC.
Even then, Parappa and Heihachi are there for the PS1, still matching Smash's Cloud and Snake. It goes further if you count Spike and Sir Daniel.

The issue with the PS1 specifically is that most of the iconic games aren't owned by Sony.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Sakurai explain his reasoning why Kirby is the sole survivor of Lifelight

Also there is a day 1 patch during the first day of Ultimate!
So, since it seems like everything else from the the Reddit Piranha Plant leaker has been confirmed, I suppose he might be right about the last bit of missing info. Anyone else hyped about it?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even then, Parappa and Heihachi are there for the PS1, still matching Smash's Cloud and Snake. It goes further if you count Spike and Sir Daniel.

The issue with the PS1 specifically is that most of the iconic games aren't owned by Sony.
Well like, Smash has the big-time characters y'know? Snake, Cloud, and maybe even Heihachi & Crash as well if they happen as DLC. Smash has most of the iconic PS1 names.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So, since it seems like everything else from the the Reddit Piranha Plant leaker has been confirmed, I suppose he might be right about the last bit of missing info. Anyone else hyped about it?
What was it again? Homerun contest?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, it may not have more, but it does have the bigger ones:
Cloud
Ryu
Snake
Kratos
Nathan Drake
Ratchet and Clank
Heihachi
Raiden
Sly Cooper
Sackboy
Cole MacGrath
Parappa
Dante, albeit the wrong one

That list is just the ones I'd call big beforehand. Since then, Gravity Rush has become much bigger, so there's Kat as well. And let's not try to pass Ryu off as a PlayStation icon lol.

Hell, Kratos and Nathan Drake alone are already just as big, if not bigger, than Snake and Cloud as far as PlayStation as a brand is concerned. Folks like Ratchet and Clank only further show this.

To say Smash has more PlayStation All-Stars than PlayStation All-Stars shows a total, and likely willful, ignorance toward the PlayStation brand.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Anyone who think Smash Switch will be announced on the March direct needs to get real. Smash will launch at earliest late 2019.

D

Deleted member

I've watched some gameplay videos of Ridley and Richter and...
Ridley:
-Most of his moves seem incredibly safe for no reason. He whiffed FSmash and managed to get a DTilt before Marth was able to punish.
-Side B has a lot of ending lag, so it's high-risk high-reward kind of deal
-Down Air is bad. It spikes but that's about it. Little to no shield pressure and damage and lacks a landing hitbox. Probably the worst stall-and-fall in the game.
-Ridley seems to be a glass cannon, his moves deal ridiculous damage(side B from one ledge to another is stupid) but he gets hit and launched offstage easily.

Richter:
-Side Tilt is dumb.
-Don't use Down Air offstage.
-Holy Water bounces on shield but will still burst off.
-Side Tilt is really dumb.
-Up Tilt seems great and it hits above platforms.
-NAir seems pretty good too, one of the few moves usable on close combat
-Axe seems to only be useful for edgeguarding, too much commitment to spam it.
-Cross can go really far and Holy Water is a better PK Fire, unfortunately can't cheese opponents with HW Triple Shot
-This guy really suicided with DAir three total times in these two matches
-Did I mention that Side Tilt is really dumb? Because it is.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 180155

A friend of mine irl drew this, its basically the main reason I'd want to see sephiroth in smash, just so this piece of art could be a reality haha
I don't know, maybe because I'm not a big fan of final fantasy and the thought that the inclusion of Cloud, to begin with, was weird. Since FFVII was the game that represented, in one way, Squaresoft's departure from Nintendo.

Geno all the way lol, he just fits perfectly in Smash!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The height loss is minimal but I do agree it's really stupid the forward version is angled dowm while the backwards is angled up.
But I'm expecting Ridley to turn out better than people see him. His specials are just really strong, he has the best command grab in the game that just gives you stage control instantly, a beefed up version of Mario's Fireballs which means it's great for edgegurading and a move that deals 50% damage that is gonna ne scary once people find setups for it.
It's funny, I've seen cases like Ridley (potentially) before. Those that seem like they'll be low-tier according to the pros before launch. And then, well they turn out to be the exact opposite post-launch.

How cool will it be if/when Ridley becomes anti-Sm4sh-Bowser in terms of how he'll turn out in the meta!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Like, I know this thread likes to circlejerk about games they've never played, but the thing is?

This is objectively wrong.
I actually talked about PSASBR with my roommate the other day and its only real sin outside of some weird choices and promotional picks is that it was missing Crash, Spyro, Cloud, and Lara. It had a solid roster with DLC. It just needed more support and variety. We actually tried to see what would happen if Sony tried again with a roster of fifty, with the caveat being that they have to keep the entirety of the previous game's roster. The story was that they also tried to snatch up certain characters that weren't in base Smash.

To quote how he broke down the hypothetical newcomer roster:

First, the obvious heavy hitters who should have been in the first one. So, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Cloud Strife.

People to represent Playstation since ASBR, so I have Delsin Rowe from Infamous: Second Son, Joel & Ellie from The Last of Us, Joker from Persona 5, 2B from Nier: Automata, Sam Bridges from Death Stranding (promotional pick), Monokuma from Danganronpa, THE KNACK ATTACK, and Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn

Then, I have a bunch of not obvious picks, so Alucard, Big Boss, Vergil from Devil May Cry, Neo Cortex to add more villains, Pyramid Head, Jill Valentine, Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft Steve to sell the kids on it, Tracer from Overwatch, Viewtiful Joe, Wander from Shadow of the Colossus

Then the rest fit in the bizarre more obscure reps that people would love, so Tomba, Virginia Maxwell from the Wild Arms franchise

And Spider-Man!

Like, Sony has the characters to make a great Smash clone, and I'd buy that game in a heartbeat. If course licensing would be a nightmare I'm sure but this is hypothetical world dang it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, what sucks about this new roster is no Kirby characters. I'd LOVE to play as Meta Knight, but Dedede would get in first. I just want to play Meta Knight, even if he's the worst character in the game like Pichu, I'd play him
Just look at how bad bosses like :bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee: are. Obviously, if Meta Knight and Dedede gets into Smash, they'll be low tier in their debut.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kratos
Nathan Drake
Ratchet and Clank
Heihachi
Raiden
Sly Cooper
Sackboy
Cole MacGrath
Parappa
Dante, albeit the wrong one

That list is just the ones I'd call big beforehand. Since then, Gravity Rush has become much bigger, so there's Kat as well. And let's not try to pass Ryu off as a PlayStation icon lol.

Hell, Kratos and Nathan Drake alone are already just as big, if not bigger, than Snake and Cloud as far as PlayStation as a brand is concerned. Folks like Ratchet and Clank only further show this.

To say Smash has more PlayStation All-Stars than PlayStation All-Stars shows a total, and likely willful, ignorance toward the PlayStation brand.
Okay
I'm sorry.
I feel like a big dumbass

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Now I wish Alucard was playable rather than being an Assist Trophy...
Same weirdly
I guarantee you, that Isaac is getting in...
It's not like they'd choose someone as unimportant like Rosalina over him or anything...
Don’t you mean Daisy?
Full explanation of why Kirby is lone survivor at World of Light: AND ITS NOT SAKURAI BIAS..

Source:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/11/28/sakurai-discusses-the-world-of-light-and-smash-ultimate/

Sakurai:
All the fighters perish at once in “World of Light,” but there wouldn’t be much of a story if one of them didn’t survive. So why did I choose Kirby? “It must be because you created the Kirby series!” …I thought you might say that. But from a game design perspective, and based on process of elimination, Kirby was the obvious choice.

We needed a solid, convincing reason for why said character could outrun Galeem. All fighters possessing “normal” abilities were immediately disqualified. Given that its assault enveloped the ends of the galaxy, only a vehicle that could defy the laws of physics would work. Even short-distance teleportation wouldn’t be enough.

Some of you may have forgotten, but Kirby’s Warp Star has been able to, y’know, warp since his very first game. That alone made him a pretty solid contender. The only other two fighters that could have survived would have been Bayonetta or Palutena. That said, Bayonetta’s enemies from Purgatorio (a hellish other world) were turned into Spirits, so it wouldn’t have made sense for her to escape. Other divine beings like Hades were also turned into Spirits, so there was no way Palutena could have survived, too.

Plus, it would have been difficult to use Bayonetta or Palutena as the starting character. The first character players try has to be simple and easy to use. As you may have seen in The Smashing Life, Kirby was voted as the character they should play first. I really had no other choice than Kirby.
That’s actually a very great reason to have Kirby be the only one to survive (and never thought about Bayo or Palutena being able to survive)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
There's like 5 different earthbound related stages I'd want in Smash.

Threed, the final area with Giygas, moonside, the dinosaur area, the zoo in Mother 1, Tazmily Village, the Chimeara Lab, the drug mushroom island, Saturn valley.

Ok maybe more than 5.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I've watched some gameplay videos of Ridley and Richter and...
Ridley:
-Most of his moves seem incredibly safe for no reason. He whiffed FSmash and managed to get a DTilt before Marth was able to punish.
I mean part of my strategy for most characters is just throwing out random FSmashes and USmashes, so I'm liking this already.

D

Deleted member

Smash is coming so soon! I'm so excited to play as :ultisabelle:. Are there any characters that anyone is interested in trying out, even if they don't plan to main them?

Also, apparently I can't post my remixes here anymore. I got a spam warning for it. So just check the link in my signature regularly! :3

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
Smash is coming so soon! I'm so excited to play as :ultisabelle:. Are there any characters that anyone is interested in trying out, even if they don't plan to main them?

Also, apparently I can't post my remixes here anymore. I got a spam warning for it. So just check the link in my signature regularly! :3
:ultyounglink: because of nostalgia ofc
:ultdarksamus: because I regularly play :ultsamus:
:ultrichter: because that boi looks nutty

Probably because they were just Littlest Pet Shop songs that had nothing to do with smash :upsidedown:

D

Deleted member

I was going to input with the Smash having more iconic characters than All-Stars, but my connection timed and my post was erased. Besides, Opossum seems to have taken care of it. Though I will say I was supremely disappointed by All Stars. It had some potential if not for the freakin stupid KO system.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The moment i saw that move on action a couple of weeks ago on the threehouse i fell in love...

is like... Ike Ftilt... but with more range :V
And it outright deletes projectiles. Something tells me Castlevania holds a VERY special place in Sakurai's heart.

Also Villager Pocket keeps items until Villager dies or uses Pocket again now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom