• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
Honestly could have several reasons. Sakurai's team could have not asked for anything more spirits wise, SE might not have mandated that any more be advertised for them, they could be adding more with the supposed DLC, or even might just be a higher asking price than other companies are asking(which honestly wouldn't be unwarranted when it comes to Cloud).
There's a lot of plausible explanations that don't need to devolve into weird hyperbolic assumptions like SE having a figurative gun to Sakurai's head and being super hard to work with. :/
Highlithed some details, interesting details.
Its just the dissonace on how other third parties having so many things when Square has its two music tracks.
I assume the difficulty of bonus content from Square is because of price or unavaibility, both of wich result in SE being hard to work with.
Why would Sakurai not ask for more from Square if not for any of those reasons, when he already went and got a ton of 3rd parties spirits and tracks?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Well, from Nintendo's PoV these are great news, I mean, he's the top streamer in twitch right? Getting "free"(maybe it's kinda sponsored, idk) exposure on that audience might be big
Idk. That guy got some controversy going on lately and honestly from what I have seen of them they are super toxic a lot of the time. Like "anytime anyone beats me they are cheating or lagging in some way" and "if you don't agree with me unsub to me and get out" type of toxic.
I really think he would do more harm to Smash overall than help

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't whole Ninja won't stream with women because of his girlfriend not wanting rumors to start?
If that's true, it's still pretty sketchy
>using the chief meme
This post is just lacking.
broke: this quote
woke: Smash discussions

BESPOKE: DISCUSSIONS ABOUT VIDEO GAMES THAT AREN'T ABOUT SMASH IN THE SLIGHTEST

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly could have several reasons. Sakurai's team could have not asked for anything more spirits wise, SE might not have mandated that any more be advertised for them, they could be adding more with the supposed DLC, or even might just be a higher asking price than other companies are asking(which honestly wouldn't be unwarranted when it comes to Cloud).
There's a lot of plausible explanations that don't need to devolve into weird hyperbolic assumptions like SE having a figurative gun to Sakurai's head and being super hard to work with. :/
I suppose you're right. Maybe Cloud's just expensive business given how important the Final Fantasy VII remake is to Sony. Maybe we should look into Square characters that aren't being held on a leash by Sony? There's the Dragon Quest rep, but I don't know if the music from that series is a big enough problem on its own (I've heard it is because of a stingy composer). I'm almost convinced that the rep would have to be someone with the least monetary issues to overcome.

add ti the fact that his game is releasing FOR THE FIRST TIME on a nintendo platform... seriously.. I really think that a lot of people are going to cave in buying FF VII for cloud on smash, some of them for the very first time. they could easily do something akin to that to teh other FF games and all they needed to give on was a couple of pngs and some compliance with some text.
One alternative is that Sony has the Lion's Share when it comes to Cloud's name, so it's possible that they're partially responsible behind the scenes. Just as an assumption.

given teh situation i think that this either makes the SE dlc either more unlikely OR more likely. the reasons why is unlikely are self explainatory, but why DLC could be more likely is that it could be a part of teh negotiation.

still, as ive said, if thsi means sephirot is in cause SE picked him, and it means they want to promote FF meaning more FF content on smash (and hopefully a lot more tracks) i would be ok with that.

(i would also be pretty ok with sephirot is they make him more of a caster type, but is more likely that he is gonna play in a similar vein to cloud, since sakurai wants to show some relation on teh movesets of similar franchised heroes, like fire emblem, star fox or earthbound)
Honestly, I would rather have a different Final Fantasy rep if it comes down to that. Terra is pretty popular and she comes from the most popular pre-Nomura era of Final Fantasy games, so I would rather have her.

Gotta admit, if we get another Final Fantasy rep, I would not see that coming. I'm inclined to believe it's either a Nintendo-Friendly Square rep or bust.

D

Deleted member

Broke: Discussing smash normally
Woke: Creating completely off-topic posts but ending them with an unrelated sentence linked to smash

Geno would be a pretty cool character if he got in.

beans

Smash Lord
I can confirm that I have asked for Sigma at least two times.
who’s Alter though?
A proof that even the little things matter
Fate Stay reference, theres a variation in characters, an alter is basicaly the same but evil, google Saber Alter for an idea

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
(.....Pikachu I love you but ugh ) Anybody here who got killed by their amiibos? Just curious.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
Honestly could have several reasons. Sakurai's team could have not asked for anything more spirits wise, SE might not have mandated that any more be advertised for them
I'm surprised we didn't get spirits from The World Ends with You, Octopath Traveler, or Bravely Default

R O F L

Smash Ace
Y'all made me wonder.
How good am I at Smash? I almost never do FG (because it almost always lags) so I can't really compare myself to anyone. Whenever I play 1v1s it's with friends or people I know.

Hmm.......

Maybe if Ultimate's online is better I'll be able to find out.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
A proof that even the little things matter
Fate Stay reference, theres a variation in characters, an alter is basicaly the same but evil, google Saber Alter for an idea
Jalter for Smash. Big tiddy goth GF that covers the screen with LA GRONDMENT DU HAINE

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

broke: being horny for waifus in a smash discussion thread
woke: being horny for yoshi in a smash discussion thread

BESPOKE: being horny for a littlest pet shop dog on a smash discussion thread

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Curiosity, who was on Team Fake but wanted the leak to be real?
A lot of people often. They cited that they liked the characters but they just don't see how it works. 7 characters and all,, blah blah.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ridley being in this game should knock out the "MUSAMUNE TOO BIG" argument

Hopefully the OTHER arguments against this guy can keep him out

Sorry, but it just pains me that out of all of Squenix's characters they'd go with a 2nd FF7 rep if he gets in.
I feel it. Sephiroth is cool in a vacuum but when part of the excitement is seeing unrepped series get in it's a little less cool.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
What if the DLC is like:

-Fjorm
-Euden
-Katalina
-Saber (from FGO)
-Angry Bird

Bow down to the new smartphone overlords

D

Deleted member

What if the DLC is like:

-Fjorm
-Euden
-Katalina
-Saber (from FGO)
-Angry Bird

I’d be so enraged, so utterly furious, that I’d
not buy the DLC pack and enjoy the rest of the game.

R O F L

Smash Ace
(.....Pikachu I love you but ugh ) Anybody here who got killed by their amiibos? Just curious.
Sometimes my better ones like Ganon, Ness, and Bowser beat me. And sometimes my amiibo lose horribly bad, like my dumb ZSS amiibo who won't stop spamming jabs no matter how many times I re-train her.

beans

Smash Lord

Bespin: star war memes
Nah, I dont think I should derail the discussion. What do you think Palpatine?
Palpatine: Do it

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
o no ninja known for playing fortnite is going to play smash
There was a problem fetching the tweet
time to panic friends because smash online is going to be swarmed with annoying little ****
I don't think his stream will be all that interesting since he would refuse to fight characters like Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Female Robin/Wii Fit Trainer/Corrin, etc. =P

:4pacman:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Man, those Grinch hoax memes are gonna age like milk.

The only thing sadder then the leak being fake is that all the fan-art and memes will be wasted.
Honestly the already have and suck to look at lol. My only consolation is the possibility of Geno and Banjo being DLC, Rhythm heaven being one of the first party DLC due to its previous consideration, and Isaac and Shadow get modded in by a decent team reminiscent of Project M.

beans

Smash Lord
What if the DLC is like:

-Fjorm
-Euden
-Katalina
-Saber (from FGO)
-Angry Bird

I'd get Fjorn cuz it would be funny and Saber cause it would be funnier.
Never forget the H-Novel

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the main reason I wanted the Grinch leak to be real wasn’t because of the characters, it’s because I thought it being real would have been the funnier outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

ive made countless leaks with etrian odyssey characters in them but no one even saw them lol
What if the DLC is like:

-Fjorm
-Euden
-Katalina
-Saber (from FGO)
-Angry Bird

Saber is in 11/10

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I’d be so enraged, so utterly furious, that I’d
not buy the DLC pack and enjoy the rest of the game.
I lowkey like the list, minus the Angry Birds

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen Angry Birds discussed

Almost all arguments in favor of Steve work for birds, imo.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Nintendo does have a history of giving a mix of self promotion, iconic picks, and historic picks into smash, but I think the fighter pass will push them to make the first DLC fighter a big name to get people to jump in with both feet. In that way, Sephiroth is a 'safe' pick. (Though is certainly not the only candidate).

Another interesting thing is when Sakarai said Nintendo made the list Sakarai eliminated at least one possibility as unworkable. That could be a simple as toads don't jump, Steve is too much of a blank slate, or Arms range is too ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom