• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
I lowkey like the list, minus the Angry Birds

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen Angry Birds discussed

Almost all arguments in favor of Steve work for birds, imo.
no, stop
the path youre opening is one with no light at the end

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Curiosity, who was on Team Fake but wanted the leak to be real?
I think more or less everyone who doubted it at least wanted it to be real in some capacity. I mean, come on - that many characters? You're damn right I'll take them.

Still, as that week went on and the whole thing reached its fever pitch, I'll admit that I was getting a little tired of being called a brain-dead ****** on Reddit for suggesting it was fake. So there was a certain 'I hope this is fake so I can go back to those posts and reply "lmao"' aspect to it by the end.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Amazing, the game is almost here and we are almost at 400 pages left to finally get the most important mileage.

My question earlier still remains unanswered, has everything in the game finally been leaked?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Highlithed some details, interesting details.
Its just the dissonace on how other third parties having so many things when Square has its two music tracks.
I assume the difficulty of bonus content from Square is because of price or unavaibility, both of wich result in SE being hard to work with.
Why would Sakurai not ask for more from Square if not for any of those reasons, when he already went and got a ton of 3rd parties spirits and tracks?
Potentially asking a higher price does not necessarily mean that the company was somehow hard for Nintendo and Sakurai to work with if that were the case. Being hard to work with usually deals with a multitude of factors, price CAN be a factor but as we don't have any info on what they were asking for this means little. Especially in the way people tend to argue it like SE is somehow doing this monstrous stuff that makes it so hard to just sit down and talk with them while asking for characters and considering from what I remember of how he described his talks for a character it seemed to not be that difficult a talk it likely went pretty well given that.

Also we need to keep in mind the context of Cloud himself. Cloud is an insanely popular character and property even within his series. Even if there were some issues with him there's little reason to expect those same issues with other smaller characters.

Though beyond all that the question is why would Sakurai not ask for more? Honestly that is unanswerable because we don't and can't know unless someone on either side says anything about it. No one knows how Sakurai works, apparently not even people at SE considering what I remember of that story. Using Sakurai's thought processes as a basis for the argument kind of falls flat because we don't know how he thinks a lot of the time and what he does doesn't always make sense to us.

D

Deleted member

I lowkey like the list, minus the Angry Birds

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen Angry Birds discussed

Almost all arguments in favor of Steve work for birds, imo.
Angry birds crossed over with Star Wars. In Soul Calibur 4, Star Wars characters appeared. Yoshimitsu appears in both Tekken and Soul Calibur, having fought against Heihachi. Heihachi was a mii costume in smash 4.
Yeah, I’m thinking Red Bird’s in.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
ohohohoh boy

do you not know about his past?
I mean not really but if he had a problematic past and wants to move past it and have a new image then I say let him.
There's no point in dwelling on how someone used to be unless they're still like that.
Not a fan of the dude, just saying.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Amazing, the game is almost here and we are almost at 400 pages left to finally get the most important mileage.

My question earlier still remains unanswered, has everything in the game finally been leaked?
Unless there's a day 1 patch I'd think so.

D

Deleted member

broke: being horny for waifus in a smash discussion thread
woke: being horny for yoshi in a smash discussion thread

BESPOKE: being horny for a littlest pet shop dog on a smash discussion thread
GOD: being a Fantastic Four, Metroid, Crash Bandicoot and Godzilla fan.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man, the Joker thread just brought up that Persona Q2 is the 3DS's next really major release. And Ultimate has been inspired by Persona 5's UI...

[sweats]

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I think he showed it to you for a different reason lol.

Also the massive 4chan Grinch hoax image has been made. Here it is:
It's everything I wanted and more.
Honestly looking at that makes my head hurt from how insanely petty and spiteful a lot of people can be even when they are "winning" at something. That they feel they must still wizz in someone elses cheerios and laugh at them over something so petty and something none of us had a single bit of control over is just....ugh.
The fact that I saw a bunch who were acting like that before it was proven fake then demand maturity from the people they were attacking not too long prior was especially facepalm worthy

beans

Smash Lord
Potentially asking a higher price does not necessarily mean that the company was somehow hard for Nintendo and Sakurai to work with if that were the case. Being hard to work with usually deals with a multitude of factors, price CAN be a factor but as we don't have any info on what they were asking for this means little. Especially in the way people tend to argue it like SE is somehow doing this monstrous stuff that makes it so hard to just sit down and talk with them while asking for characters and considering from what I remember of how he described his talks for a character it seemed to not be that difficult a talk it likely went pretty well given that.

Also we need to keep in mind the context of Cloud himself. Cloud is an insanely popular character and property even within his series. Even if there were some issues with him there's little reason to expect those same issues with other smaller characters.

Though beyond all that the question is why would Sakurai not ask for more? Honestly that is unanswerable because we don't and can't know unless someone on either side says anything about it. No one knows how Sakurai works, apparently not even people at SE considering what I remember of that story. Using Sakurai's thought processes as a basis for the argument kind of falls flat because we don't know how he thinks a lot of the time and what he does doesn't always make sense to us.
Okay, I can give the point of many factors being needed for a company to be marked hard to work with ... and I believe the second point for it is the nature of how SE handles the ownership of musics, characters, world, etc. The net of contacts you need to make to obtain a substantial amount of content for a Smash fighter isnt a easy one.

Issues with Cloud as fighter can be chalked as the chance Sakurai doesnt represent the character, a heavily marketable one as in being a face of his franchise, good enough. Issues of all 3rd parties characters.

Sakurai: *adds several IPs from Konami, Sega, Capcom and various other companies as spirits, Assist Trophies, and tracks*
Also Sakurai: *one fighter, one stage, 2 tracks and 2 spirits from one single game from one single franchise from Square*
There is something here

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There is no evidence of Monster Hunter having a cut character in the list of music tracks, so let's dispel with this rumor right here.

There is a blank spot in the fighter theme list.

z90 shizue
z91 gaogaen
z93 inkling
z94 ridley
z95 krool
z96 simon

Right away we can rule Monster Hunter out as z92, because third parties are listed last. They have been since Brawl, and are still listed this way now. Snake and Sonic are last in the Brawl section, Pac Man and Mega Man are last in the Smash 4 section, and now Simon is last in the Ultimate section. Echoes do not have unique themes, hence the lack of Richter and Ken. Monster Hunter could conceivably be z97, but we'd have no way of knowing that. But he is not z92.

Now for the stage music.

Monster Hunter's two tracks are listed in between Metal Gear and Animal Crossing. This is the hoopla that's being spread around of it being in the "fighter section."

But there's a reason it's located there, and that's because the list is in alphabetical order.

All franchises are named with the same naming scheme. All songs from the same franchise are labeled first with a unique letter so that they're all grouped together. Mario is the first franchise, and is labeled with "a," like so:

a07_wld_title_ending.lopus

Donkey Kong is "b", Zelda is "c" and so on and so on. Animal Crossing is "n."

Third party franchises, meanwhile, are labeled differently. They're labeled based on their title. Castlevania, or Akumajou Dracula, is "AD." Bayonetta is "BY." Metal Gear is "MG."

And thus, Monster Hunter is "MH."

So in the ordered list, it goes MG, MH, N, or Metal Gear, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing.
But it's still interesting as it looks like a Nintendo character was dropped then, one between what I'm guessing is Incinaroar and Inkling.

........did Rhythm Heaven get shafted again?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Being obsessed with a dog from a cartoon based a little girl’s toy franchise is freaking bizarre especially when you’re sharing it on a video game forum focused on a Nintendo fighting game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
YOU'LL NEVER SEE [HIM] COOOOOMIIIIING
LISTEN

HE'S ONLY IN MY SIGNATURE BECAUSE I WANTED TO PUT MY RIDICULOUS PIPE DREAMS IN THERE TOO, LIKE MARINA AND 2B

If this somehow actually happens I...I don't know. I'll retire from speculation or something. Probably not but. My god.

D

Deleted member

Honestly looking at that makes my head hurt from how insanely petty and spiteful a lot of people can be even when they are "winning" at something. That they feel they must still wizz in someone elses cheerios and laugh at them over something so petty and something none of us had a single bit of control over is just....ugh.
The fact that I saw a bunch who were acting like that before it was proven fake then demand maturity from the people they were attacking not too long prior was especially facepalm worthy
I was going to win in any possible case, so i didn’t care about any outcome:

-With Grinch, i would have gotten cool characters.
-With Kencineroar, i would get a Pokémon rep for my friend and a 3D Ken who isn’t ugly and finally looks wonderful.

I was indifferent to any of the options.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Back after a week off... completely lost.

Looks like it's business as usual here.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Only thing that sucks about unlocking characters is that I won’t have everyone when I throw my launch party. I’d love to go through WoL with just me and Bro. I don’t really wanna share lol.

D

Deleted member

Back after a week off... completely lost.

Looks like it's business as usual here.
Did you hear about the entire game getting datamined and Veregben’s list of SE characters leaking?
If not then hoo boy I’ve got things to tell ya

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God I hope not, then I'd just get more of my ******* friends going "HEY GWEN YOU HAVE A PS3 PLAY PERSONA 5"
Well I mean you should but-

What they should really do is swerve us and make the PQ2 promotional rep the Persona 3 Portable female protagonist. Totally not biased here. Definitely not. Definitely not still petty at everyone who ignored her for so many years and made fun of her fans because she was "non-canon". Definitely not incredibly excited that she's finally back and being treated like a protagonist. No siree.

beans

Smash Lord
But it's still interesting as it looks like a Nintendo character was dropped then, one between what I'm guessing is Incinaroar and Inkling.

........did Rhythm Heaven get shafted again?
I think it was base Pirana Plant.
Sakurai has been working on him long enough to have something to show in the last direct, but all the other picks were of higher priority for base, so PP will come as an early adopter bonus

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I was going to win in any possible case, so i didn’t care about any outcome:

-With Grinch, i would have gotten cool characters.
-With Kencineroar, i would get a Pokémon rep for my friend and a 3D Ken who isn’t ugly and finally looks wonderful.

I was indifferent to any of the options.
Honestly the only thing I was super sure of the entire speculation cycle was that a pokemon gen 7 rep was going to happen. Knowing even a tiny bit about how TPC tends to do things and how we know last game went with them made me 100% sure that was going to happen.
Which was my only real problem with what the leak was offering and why I didn't believe it myself. Would have been cool otherwise though

D

Deleted member

tbh I understand what people mean by saying Sephiroth's sword is too big to represent properly but y'all are just strolling right into "Ridley is too big" memes lemme just tell ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom