• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
When was first time that Square Enix has to include FF characters in some other video game and how bad/good was it? (I'm not leaning toward kingdom heart BUT first time that they put FF characters in some crossover game)
It isnt really about the characters. The nature of Smash requires more than characters to appear, it asks for a stage, music tracks, trophies (spirits) and maybe a enemy or two.
Square can just get the character put it in a game as a cameo or playable and be done with it. But when it requires more is when their entire crossover structure falls apart and makes them look like greedy dips. not that they arent but besides the point

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
So think about this. Who is owned by square enix, and has a sword with length that isn't busted?

I think we all know who I'm talking about

:4miisword::bubblebobble:
bub with a sword

D

Deleted member

Oh we still discussing Sephiroth? I was thinking the SE rep was him even before the leaked list was shown, which definitely shook things up. His sword is certainly a bit of a challenge, but just making it have the same range as Simon and Richter should be fine, especially considering Sephy tends to swing his sword a lot.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The real question about sephiroth

We all knew Ridley was but in the heart of hearts

Is there any size in existence that the Masamune was shorter than we know it by?

And is there any possible way to shorten it?

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
You know something's off when Konami of all companies was far more cooperative with Sakurai this time around than ****ing Square.
to be honest, I'm surprised that Konami was willing to allow Simon, Ricther and some things that is related to castlevania to be in ultimate along Snake from MSG who even got few spirits from MSGV that wasn't on nintendo console. Give that Konami is known for treating their employee in ****ty way and is reason why kojima was forced to quit and formed his own video game company.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Huh? We're still discussing a square character?

Dang...

I guess this is going to be slow until Dec 6th drops

D

Deleted member

to be honest, I'm surprised that Konami was willing to allow Simon, Ricther and some things that is related to castlevania to be in ultimate along Snake from MSG who even got few spirits from MSGV that wasn't on nintendo console. Give that Konami is known for treating their employee in ****ty way and is reason why kojima was forced to quit and formed his own video game company.
Konami likely doesn’t care. Why should they? It’s just free publicity and PR for them, and it’s nintendo who’s doing most of the work.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why do so many people seem to miss the whole Square has licensing issues out of the ass because they share so much of a character's creation and music's creation with the artist responsible for said character/music?

It's kind of noble actually because it is that individuals work.

It's not a stingy Square doesn't like money situation, it's a Square sometimes just isn't gonna have much of a say in if something that own gets in to another game unless they contact someone else as well situation.

D

Deleted member

Can’t believe we’re at the the point where we’re discussing Sephiroth in smash like he’s a serious candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
You know, lets not forget the time someone's post got spoilered on miiverse because he made this ****

Dark link as sephiroth when?

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It's real fishy. I don't think Cloud was the last character to be included in Smash at all, but somethin's definitely up if it was so hard to get him into Smash Ultimate in the first place. You know something's off when Konami of all companies was far more cooperative with Sakurai this time around than ****ing Square.

Call me a skeptic, but I think Verge is wrong about the Square-Enix rep this time. It just...doesn't seem likely at the least that we'll see any semblance of the sort within the Fighter's Pass. Resting against their palm is a metaphorical gun and a bullet with Sakurai's name on it. They're prepared to pull on that trigger if he goes out of their line. So far, he's done the only stuff he's seemingly allowed to do. If nothing else, Geno seems like a sensible choice assuming Spirits don't deconfirm. Seriously, what could Square want to shill that won't just be 2 songs and nothing else?
Are....we going back in time or something? Why are we reversing to the "omg Cloud isnt in WoL!" period randomly again with these conspiracies about how "hard" it is to work with SE based on nothing but not having a bunch of extra stuff.
Like do people here realize the extra stuff that the third parties get aren't freebies thrown at them just cuz and are likely things that they have to do even more licensing for and a lot of it is likely required to get the character rights in the first place?

Past that as far as I am aware from how Sakurai himself had described it it wasn't hard getting to use Cloud at all. This is less SE being hard to work with and more of this fanbase being hyperbolic as all get out :/

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hey mods, Isn't it time to pick another poll other than "How satisfied were you with this direct"?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Oh we still discussing Sephiroth? I was thinking the SE rep was him even before the leaked list was shown, which definitely shook things up. His sword is certainly a bit of a challenge, but just making it have the same range as Simon and Richter should be fine, especially considering Sephy tends to swing his sword a lot.
My FF knowledge is beyond lacking, but that's his main weapon. The Belmonts have long reach but they don't exclusively use their whips, they have projectiles and a few physical attacks. Sephiroth's sword is so bloody long that he'd have to only use it for certain moves. I mean the threshold for longest range has been broken multiple times now (Shulk < Corrin < Belmonts < Spring Man AT), how much farther can it go?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
My FF knowledge is beyond lacking, but that's his main weapon. The Belmonts have long reach but they don't exclusively use their whips, they have projectiles and a few physical attacks. Sephiroth's sword is so bloody long that he'd have to only use it for certain moves. I mean the threshold for longest range has been broken multiple times now (Shulk < Corrin < Belmonts < Spring Man AT), how much farther can it go?
Could maybe have it be around the whip length for stabs, but make them quick with higher recovery if whiffed. Other normals could maybe have him do shorter range iaido type swings with high recovery as well? Maybe make him based around a gimmick of if he wiffs his normals he has higher recovery than average so you have to make sure your attacks hit or something like that?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The length of Sephiroth's sword has been massively exaggerated over the years. This is his sword in the actual game, just a tad longer than he is tall.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I am going to miss Snake being the 3rd heaviest character on the roster

I wonder how long it will take for someone to upload the full weight values list because I wanna know how much of a middle weight Ridley really is

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Strawman argument that has been disproved many times, it is not about the money. Switch online is dreadful And plagued with anti consumer practices if consumers keep justifying things with " well at least it doesnt cost that much" we will enter a slippery slope.
Not at all. All I was saying is that 20$ to play smash online with people for a year is worth it, imo. Especially people who dont have people around to play with. It's a good game worth playing with others :)

Regardless of if the practice is somehow bad (which I havent heard about), it's a good game that's fun to play with people.

D

Deleted member

The length of Sephiroth's sword has been massively exaggerated over the years. This is his sword in the actual game, just a tad longer than he is tall.

I’ve seen bigger swords in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
one leaker mentioned the day one patch DLC

"Couple modes are day 1 patch and there is a dlc character pretty playable "
In that post he sisnt went full on leaking, but he did gave some proof that he was genuine (not only confirmed incineroar and ken, but also stuff like isabelle fishinng rod tether recovery, spirits as stickers and Fly swapper mario paint assist trophy, so, yeah, he was legit... dunno if teh same guy taht leaked piranna plant and incineroar's side b (which was also legit, but simply noone believed it)

Also there seem to be a little leftover code on the leaked physical copy regarding a couple of modes.

Imo they continued developing stuff after the game went gold, and day one patch lets them kinda, retroactively add those modes to physical copies kinda like if they always been there.
That's interesting. New modes and stuff would be awesome. What's that about a character tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom