• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
In the context as a promotional pick, that would mean he's getting a new game. Which as we know, is never going to happen
Mother 3 localization. Nintendo knows we want it and they've said it before. "Never going to happen" is an understatement. It's not guarunteed, but it isn't impossible either.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
My point is that there aren't really any super iconic A tier Nintendo first-parties
No matter who they add, the roster wouldn't be complete without Toad and Dixie Kong imo. I'd include Dee but he's still relatively new compared to them. But Toad and Dixie are missing for sure. Toad is incredibly iconic too

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
The only way I see a new Mother character getting in is this:

"Surprise announcement, Mother 4 is coming to switch with Mother 3 finally in English too!"
Then again, in that case we'd probably get the new game's MC as a fighter

Roberk

Smash Champion
People will literally make **** up about certain characters to “prove” why they can’t be in the game. I’m all for tempering expectations but people go way too far with it.
Porky is literally the main villain of Mother 3. How is that unimportant?
That right there, he's a non-protagonist from a niche JRPG. I feel like an ass by going so hard against Porky but I really don't want to see all of the complaints when he "surprisingly" most likely doesn't make it in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sylux is more than likely to have a big role in Prime 4 with how much he's been hinted at. Of course it's just a possibility. Speculation is all about possibilities. That's the whole point of it. There's a possibility of Porky and Sylux, and it's good to go over that possibility. The Spirits datamine gave a breath of fresh air from the constant arguments about Steve and the Square Rep.
You say fresh air. I say people reaching based on a fan rule about Spirits.

D

Deleted member

Hah
tabuu’s spirit battle is you fighting a sized-up bayonetta on FD while his theme plays

toonito

Smash Ace
Ryu's classic mode:

Ken -> ZSS (Chun-Li Theme) ->Incineroar (Zangief Theme) -> DK (Blanka Theme)-> Little Mac (Balrog Theme) -> Meta Knight (Vega Theme) -> Master & Crazy Hand WITH Ken (Bison Theme)

Bonus Stage is in the middle not penultimate stage like everyone else so far (between DK & Little Mac IIRC) like SF's classic mode with the car and barrel (SF4) being well before the boss stage

All of the battles are in stamina mode and the character themes speed up when 50 HP is left

LetterO

Smash Lord
That right there, he's a non-protagonist from a niche JRPG. I feel like an *** by going so hard against Porky but I really don't want to see all of the complaints when he "surprisingly" most likely doesn't make it in.
People remember the villains as much as the protagonists. Stop implying that people only recognize the protagonists, and the villains are nobodies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Mother fans: “LALALALALA I CAN’T HEAR YOU LALALALA WE’LL GET NINTEN AND PORKY FOR DLC WITH 20 REMIXES LALALALALAAA”

(no offense meant to actual Mother fans but this is basically what I see ALL the time)
This applies to so many fans of many different series on these forums.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sylux is getting a villain role in a new Metroid game, doh.
Sylux isn't Porky, who this was about
Unless he’s promotion for Mother 3 finally coming out everywhere.

Not saying it’s likely but it is possible
That's the best joke I've heard in a while
Mother 3 localization. Nintendo knows we want it and they've said it before. "Never going to happen" is an understatement. It's not guarunteed, but it isn't impossible either.
Not happening tho

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
People remember the villains as much as the protagonists. Stop implying that people only recognize the protagonists, and the villains are nobodies.
IDK, a lot of people would be able to recognize Zelda (Link, casuals just call him that) or Metroid (Samus) but not be able to recognize Ganon/Ganondorf or Ridley.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Sylux isn't Porky, who this was about

That's the best joke I've heard in a while

Not happening tho
Prime 4 happened, proving Nintendo can listen to fans. A localization isn't out of possibliity. It's not guarunteed, but don't go around like it's never happening.

Zeox

Smash Champion
You never know Nintendo, people said for years that Metroid Prime 4 was never gonna happen.
I don't think it will happen, but is Nintendo, you never know...

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I don't really care if Porky "has a chance" or not, I'd honestly rather have him than even more 3rd party characters at this point.

Blueant22

Smash Rookie
You know who's a first party character that could be used to promote a game that doesn't have a spirit? Regular or Crafted Poochy is, I've a checked the list and his spirit is called Yarn Poochy, and unlike Sylux or Porky, we know Poochy is 100% in the game he'd be promoting and that the game even exists, said game being Crafted World.

Not to mention he has an amiibo that was bundled with a game that had his name in the title, Poochy and Yoshi's Wolly World, so he's somewhat recognizable. Also, for what it's worth he appeared in Odyssey.
By the way I know I'm being extremley biased but I just wanted to get my opinion out.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think we should wait on assuming "character is a promotion character" until we know they either have a role in the game they would be promoting, or that the game we want them to promote is announced.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
While we're on the subject of important villains who aren't playable in Smash, Hardin would be amazing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One of my most hated things is people putting words in my mouth, I never said that. Speculation is still fun, especially since we are speculating about all of these cult-classic fan favorites. I was just saying how we are well past the point of "Wouldn't Wario and Sonic be cool" "Oh, how about Mega Man!"

My point is that there aren't really any super iconic A tier Nintendo first-parties and heavily-affiliated-with-Nintendo third-parties left and that Smash really has gone above and beyond when it comes to a Nintendo focused crossover.
"Heavy-affiliated-with-Nintendo third-parties" is an irrelevant criteria that needs to die out already. It doesn't matter most of the time. We literally have only two with content that remotely relates to having a Nintendo presence; Super Mario RPG and Bayonetta. The rest got in on their own merits as being gaming icons.

Sakurai doesn't care and never actually did. Nintendo might, but that doesn't mean it's that important. If a 3rd party is chosen, it's still going to be because they're important too for who they are. Cloud got in because he's the mascot of Final Fantasy and a gaming icon. It was pretty irrelevant that FF started on Nintendo. And Cloud had barely cameos on the Nintendo games. To pretend he's heavily affiliated with Nintendo is ludicrous. He isn't nor ever was. He's finally got his actual game on Nintendo, but that was well after Smash Ultimate's roster was decided too. He didn't gain any legitimate relevance to Nintendo till well after Smash itself existed, and especially after Smash Ultimate was completely finished being figured out who the base roster was. The closest thing Sakurai has said on the issue is that he wasn't sure what he would've done if Cloud had no Nintendo appearances. And that's cause... gasp... it wasn't an issue that came up at the time. So he had no actual opinion on it. In other words, it wasn't a relevant criteria to begin with.

Just like it never was. Bayonetta is a special case only because we don't know how she got chosen to be in the game in the alone. We know she's been worked on and licensed way before the ballot(no way they can get that done in two weeks, let alone that would mean if somehow that's possible, they had to have a ton of votes from her day 1, and somehow magically get all the licensing, full body work and modeling done... in about 13 days). It's not feasible. Being an exception to the rule of 3rd party icons is fine. But why she was an exception is unknown. Geno is well known why Sakurai chose him; fan requests. That's pretty much it. Geno however isn't playable(yet), so that didn't do much beyond get him to exist in the game in smaller roles than playable or assist anyway. That's important to remember here. Of course, yes, Nintendo might only choose those they can promote. Whether it could be from an upcoming FF game release, Slime for DQ(I don't think Erdrick even has an upcoming game? Though Jade might?), or just for re-releases. DLC being promotional makes sense. Though it doesn't mean an affiliation with Nintendo so much as a game upcoming that will be on Nintendo later. Affiliation with Nintendo means they're effectively known as a Nintendo character by fans(Geno, Simon, more or less just about everybody but Cloud, really. But those were coincidences for every 3rd party but possible Bayonetta, so it's a meaningless thing to look into). Of course, appealing to Nintendo fans is a very very different thing from choosing a character simply because they had a ton of Nintendo games. That's not how you choose gaming icons. Like, at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Prime 4 happened, proving Nintendo can listen to fans. A localization isn't out of possibliity. It's not guarunteed, but don't go around like it's never happening.
I will go around like it's never happening because it will never happen. Metroid's also a franchise considered to be one of Nintendo's most iconic ones and has gone through droughts for 8 years in the past, so idk if that's comparable

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I just can't get my head around people making definitive statements on who can or can't make the roster based on obscurity/relevance/moveset potential/any other excuse under the sun when Sakurai has utterly demolished those preconceptions time and time and time again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Heavy-affiliated-with-Nintendo third-parties" is an irrelevant criteria that needs to die out already. It doesn't matter most of the time. We literally have only two with content that remotely relates to having a Nintendo presence; Super Mario RPG and Bayonetta. The rest got in on their own merits as being gaming icons.

Sakurai doesn't care and never actually did. Nintendo might, but that doesn't mean it's that important. If a 3rd party is chosen, it's still going to be because they're important too for who they are. Cloud got in because he's the mascot of Final Fantasy and a gaming icon. It was pretty irrelevant that FF started on Nintendo. And Cloud had barely cameos on the Nintendo games. To pretend he's heavily affiliated with Nintendo is ludicrous. He isn't nor ever was. He's finally got his actual game on Nintendo, but that was well after Smash Ultimate's roster was decided too. He didn't gain any legitimate relevance to Nintendo till well after Smash itself existed, and especially after Smash Ultimate was completely finished being figured out who the base roster was. The closest thing Sakurai has said on the issue is that he wasn't sure what he would've done if Cloud had no Nintendo appearances. And that's cause... gasp... it wasn't an issue that came up at the time. So he had no actual opinion on it. In other words, it was a relevant criteria to begin with.

Just like it never was. Bayonetta is a special case only because we don't know how she got chosen to be in the game in the alone. We know she's been worked on and licensed way before the ballot(no way they can get that done in two weeks, let alone that would mean if somehow that's possible, they had to have a ton of votes from her day 1, and somehow magically get all the licensing, full body work and modeling done... in about 13 days). It's not feasible. Being an exception to the rule of 3rd party icons is fine. But why she was an exception is unknown. Geno is well known why Sakurai chose him; fan requests. That's pretty much it. Geno however isn't playable(yet), so that didn't do much beyond get him to exist in the game in smaller roles than playable or assist anyway. That's important to remember here. Of course, yes, Nintendo might only choose those they can promote. Whether it could be from an upcoming FF game release, Slime for DQ(I don't think Erdrick even has an upcoming game? Though Jade might?), or just for re-releases. DLC being promotional makes sense. Though it doesn't mean an affiliation with Nintendo so much as a game upcoming that will be on Nintendo later. Affiliation with Nintendo means they're effectively known as a Nintendo character by fans(Geno, Simon, more or less just about everybody but Cloud, really. But those were coincidences for every 3rd party but possible Bayonetta, so it's a meaningless thing to look into). Of course, appealing to Nintendo fans is a very very different thing from choosing a character simply because they had a ton of Nintendo games. That's not how you choose gaming icons. Like, at all.
Fischer if they have to have strong Nintendo ties then that means Resident Evil is viable for a newcomer don't you want that?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You know, with all of this Mother discourse I’m worried that this discussion will pop up again about another main villian of a franchise that hasn’t seen action since the GBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom