• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
There are so many doomsday preppers in here. So Nintendo chose the DLC for Sakurai?

Why is it a bad thing to have a new set of eyes over the character choices?

And don't act as if Nintendo haven't been on a bit of a roll lately.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I don't think this deconfirms Square Enix rep at all, or even Microsoft content.

But

I do think this made Bandana Dee a lock lol

LetterO

Smash Lord
If Rex and Springman didn't happen due to being too recent, then again, there's no way Edelgard or Sylux or a Gen 7 Pokemon will happen.

I think this really does boost the chances of a Rhythm Heaven character as well. Rhythm Heaven in huge in Japan, and Megamix sold really well in Japan from what I've heard.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, since Nintendo was the one who decided on the DLC as the tweet said, I had a feeling asking them directly would increase their chances more than asking Sakurai would in terms of getting them in. I could be wrong, but hey, just a guess.
You think that thousands of people haven't asked Nintendo directly over the years for Geno and B&K???

Noipoi

Howdy!
I actually think this helps Geno. Not a lot, just a bit.

Nintendo was clearly surprised by the demand for K Rool, a character who's been dead for a decade that Nintendo wanted us to forget.
Maybe, just maybe they saw this and decided to revive another dead character...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry for your loss.
Oh no, don't worry. I made a promise that if Rex & Pyra got in that I would break a plate over my head Eric Andre-style, so I'm pretty much saved on having a massive headache and possible bloodshed.

Keep in mind, I love Snake in Smash. I never broke a plate over my head for him, though. I did, however, get a cut on my finger from being too hype when his reveal came.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
My predicts are Crash, Sora, Doomguy, Steve and Heihachi. Because third parties will sell far more than any first party and the money is what Nintendo cares about

Also LMAO at think this helps Geno chances. This just outright kills them. Bandana Dee has a chance tho

Last edited:

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Why do people keep thinking that Nintendo choosing the DLC characters means that there will be NO 3rd party reps? It is Nintendo's game and all this means is that they can make a list of characters from their own IP and they probably requested characters from the 3rd parties as well, and they will select whatever the 3rd party allows them to through negotiations or they will choose someone else.

Where are people reading this? The tweets say nothing about Nintendo only choosing all 1st Party characters.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really believe Nintendo is going to pik characters from negotiation with others companies. Hopefully we know the choices soon!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My predicts are Crash, Sora, Doomguy, Steve and Heihachi. Because third parties will sell far more than any first party and the money is what Nintendo cares about

Also LMAO at think this helps Geno chances. This just outright kills them
Please Robert
Not today

Just leave my son alone
Please

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping this means good things for a RH rep. A Megamix port (which would be extremely easy to make) could tie in with a fighter, and Nintendo could want to add one to popularize RH in the west, as Smash tends to do that.
This also helps Elma and Bandana Dee immensely. I'm still hoping for Geno and Banjo, too

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Alright, since we're all losing our minds now, I'm going to put my thoughts down on this and try to clear some things up.

First off, please note that Sakurai is saying "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete." Not that it has been complete, or they completed months ago. But that it is now complete. As in, they've only now finally finished choosing the DLC characters and thinking of how they'll work. Not that they've finished creating them, as it hasn't been nearly long enough since the game has gone gold to finish them.
This means there's a chance that, in fact, recent characters (anyone from games after early 2016) could be part of the DLC lineup. Of course, this goes against what he said the final smash direct, but yet again, what he said in that direct goes against what Bill had said about how they were handling Smash DLC.

Second off, please note what he said. "This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo." This doesn't mean no 3rd Party characters.
It means that, we may get a lot of 1st Party characters, but some 3rd Parties as well. Nintendo chose them, but they could've chosen them for promotional reasons, trying to gather attention for franchises on the switch, or games coming to the switch soon that we've yet to hear of, 3rd and 1st party. This doesn't eliminate 3rd parties entirely, but it limits our options to "Which 3rd parties would Nintendo want in Smash? How would it help them for this 3rd party to get in smash besides making money off of DLC?" Geno's chances are hurt, because we don't know how badly Nintendo themselves want him. DQ's chances increase immensely because of this, as are Chocobo's or any FF character's. Sora's chances are, admittedly, very hurt as well. However, characters like Sora and 2B (Basically 3rd party franchises who've yet to have a game on the switch, but can get one in the nier near future) potentially have a chance if their inclusion is anything like Isabelle's; In other words, their announcement and reveal coincides with the announcement of their game arriving to the Switch at a later date or that same day. Banjo is still a potential fit, due to the potential 64 Mini.

Lastly, the end of his tweet. "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan." The wording of this suggests that Nintendo didn't give Sakurai specific 5 fighters, but rather, a large list of characters, 1st party and potentially 3rd party, which Sakurai would have to pick 5 characters from said large list based off of if he wants to do something with given characters or can. This means Nintendo decided far more than 5 characters for smash, gave Sakurai a list and told him "Choose 5 of these you think you can make something good with," and essentially to throw the other choices away.

It's not the end of the world. In fact, this kind of excites me.
You think we might get a teaser of a character in the next direct or is that too soon.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Ozaa, Nintendo choosing the characters (suggesting at least). What a bomb for speculation. Harder for third parties, a promotion tool... Those thoughts are valid, but we don't know at what level. But I'm gonna to low my dreams, it's the company this time.

Only one thing I got for sure, forget about more ballot-popular picks.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I love how Nintendo picking the characters somehow means that we're getting more Fire Emblem without a doubt. Wasn't Roy specifically requested by Intelligent Systems, not Nintendo themselves? And I don't know the full story behind Corrin, but I've been hearing that they were chosen by the Smash developers as well.

I also love how we're all acting like Nintendo is holding a gun to Sakurai's head because of it. He still makes it sound like he could turn a character down if he doesn't think they'll work out.

Like I see why fans of niche and irrelevant characters are worried, but I seriously doubt that means this DLC is doomed to be nothing by Pokymanz and anime swordsmen. Nintendo has lots of other franchises worth promoting. And as far as big corporations though, they're far from the most awful and corrupt out there.
It's about cross promotion.

Arms and Xenoblade 2 are still new enough that including their characters could boost sales of those games, but the majority of a game's sales are in the first month. If you release a game AND a Smash character for that game at the same time, the cross promotion boosts the sales of both. Nintendo's 2019 lineup has two really big franchises that have a strong Smash presence already, it's not that big of a jump to see how this could play out this way.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I remember the good ol' days where Bandana Dee was a lock alongside K. Rool during the Ultimate speculation cycle
Never was for me. But Kirby and the Dee is very popular. Kirby twitter is one of Nintendo's most active twitter of them all, rivaling only Pokémon (and even then, the amount of original content made ONLY for Kirby twitter is insane). It's also a very popular and requested character. I just feel like it is, but it might not be!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I find this interesting. Who made this decision? I doubt Nintendo would forcefully tell Sakurai they want control over DLC. Nintendo traditionally respect their directors a lot, and Sakurai certainly doesn't have a history of letting Nintendo down. I almost wonder if Sakurai himself made the decision to back away from DLC some and finally get a rest. While I'm hesitant about Nintendo selecting the newcomers, I will say that it does probably increase the chance of a DLC Wave 2 a tiny bit if Sakurai isn't pouring his entire heart and soul into it. I'm still of the opinion that this one wave is almost definitely all we're getting though.
Keep in mind, Sakurai still said he chose among Nintendo's selection based off of how manageable they are in terms of movesets. He still has a decent amount of involvement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are so many doomsday preppers in here. So Nintendo chose the DLC for Sakurai?

Why is it a bad thing to have a new set of eyes over the character choices?

And don't act as if Nintendo haven't been on a bit of a roll lately.
Because Nintendo has never done anything for the fans ever and they only care about promotion for upcoming games, even though Sakurai's claim of not being able to put Rex in goes directly against that.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Hmmmm. Hmmmmm. HMMMMMM

Think Nintendo making DLC suggestions might be good for Rayman what with the company being all buddy-buddy with Ubisoft and the crossovers they've been doing recently.

Bad news for Paper Mario (RIP) though, as Nintendo probably interpreted Color Splash's poor sales* as 'nobody likes this series'. Not that he had much of a chance anyway tbh, and I can understand people not wanting yet another Mario character.

* Don't have any sales data but I'm guessing it probably flopped

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You think that thousands of people haven't asked Nintendo directly over the years for Geno and B&K???
Oh, I know they have. I just figured they asked Sakurai (who, despite making this game for Nintendo, is of his own company) more and Nintendo may not have gotten word for those requests or pay attention to that in regards to this game when they decided the DLC, hence why I think asking Nintendo more than Sakurai would have helped, unless you actually meant "asked Nintendo directly over the years for Geno and B&K" in regards to Smash Bros Ultimate, which may be a different case in itself.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't and never will understand Bandana dee's popularity.
He's cute.
He's in a lot of games.
He has a little gimmick that differentiates him.

That's really all you need. That and time and a vocal fanbase. I mean, look at Cpt. Toad.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be honest I'm more worried about the possibility of us getting Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach from this then I am about Fire Emblem swordsman #42. Nintendo sure loves to milk their plumber boy for everything he's worth.

But I'm not that worried. Surely in a roster like this they're still concerned with variety, and Sakurai himself still gets the final say and he makes it sound like he is able to veto picks he wouldn't want to add.

Now that I think about it, this might actually be a good sign for Paper Mario fans. Well, maybe at any rate. I don't want to get anyone's hopes too high.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
"However, characters like Sora and 2B (Basically 3rd party franchises who've yet to have a game on the switch, but can get one in the nier near future) potentially have a chance if their inclusion is anything like Isabelle's; In other words, their announcement and reveal coincides with the announcement of their game arriving to the Switch at a later date or that same day. Banjo is still a potential fit, due to the potential 64 Mini."
You know what? This gives me a bit of hope for KOS-MOS. If the Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster happens, it could potentially coincide with her announcement ala Isabelle as well. Plus, Namco's like one-half of Ultimate's development, so I could see this be Namco/Monolithsoft's way of selling the Switch userbase a "Xeno-port" of sorts that isn't Xenoblade Chronicles X atm (since supposedly, it's "hard to port over").

Don't mind me, just juggling some thoughts here and there.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yeah, I don't know if Nintendo being the one to choose the fighters means much of anything. At the moment, at least, we can only speculate. I suppose once we find out the lineup, we might have a better idea what kind of an influence Nintendo may have had on the process. That said, even if a character doesn't end up being DLC, that doesn't mean that Nintendo didn't provide them as an option for Sakurai. For all we know, Nintendo might give Sakurai permission to pursue, say, Geno, but he might decide against it regardless. We might never find out the list of what characters Sakurai was allowed to choose from in its entirety. For me, at least, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
He's cute.
He's in a lot of games.
He has a little gimmick that differentiates him.

That's really all you need. That and time and a vocal fanbase I mean, look at Cpt. Toad.
>Toad

MURDER AND RIP HIM, CUT HIS HEAD OFF NOW.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Dude, I thought I was the only one.
Seriously we know jack **** about her other than she can use an axe. The support for her just seems so surface-level...
One word:
download (6).png

While there's no telling if it was Edelgard who said it, as it's only assumed she was the one talking during the trailer, but Kouhai characters tend to be very popular in general. Cause, you know, "anyone who looks up to me can do no wrong."

Oh, and the axe also gives her popularity, since everybody wants a Fire Emblem character that doesn't use a sword. Despite wanting Lyn

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Damn we really just binning Geno even though he has somewhat MORE of a case huh
Actually...Geno still have a decent chance, but they actually went down a bit.
Dragon Quest's chance skyrocketed.
Sora's chance are the same as in "Meh, maybe?" since he always was the trump card of "can they do it?" kind of deal. Either discussion are smooth as hell, or they're impossible

The "Sakurai wanted him" doesn't work anymore if Nintendo are the one who supposedly gave him a line-up of characters they can make a deal with and...Let's say Geno isn't on that list because let's be honest.
You and I.
Nintendo doesn't really care that much about Geno.

I still believe Geno have a chance if Nintendo gave a selection of fighters from the ballot result, but now that it's more "business company from business company" than "Dude try to make deal with his friends" so who knows what deal they could have made with Square-Enix? Heck, Sora could get in with a deal of "Yo, put the Story so far on Switch and yo boy gets in my man." kind of weird ass deal

It's...Actually another ball to play for thirds parties.

However, it seems to increase the chance of first parties, I can feel Elma already (yes pls, the Queen need to be in) and perhaps Bandana Dee?
And Jokingly it also could raise the chance for Katalina if her appearance in Smash Bros could be a deal with CYGAMES for maybe future part of the company in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom