• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Also, I wanna say this right now.

Sakurai and the dev team were the ones who pushed Corrin from Fire Emblem into a DLC fighter back in Smash 4, not Nintendo. Nintendo's leading Smash Ultimate's DLC, not much of Sakurai and the dev team this time.

That should relieve you guys some stress a tiny bit about LEL FIRE EMBLEM. I do think there's a pattern made, but honestly who knows what patterns are left anymore, we've all been BTFO'd back during the Direct lol

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
There is a possibility that Edelgard is confirmed and I'm happy cause she’s my first first-party choice. I hope my first third-party choice banjo still has a chance.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I would imagine Nintendo calling the shots eliminates the fan favourites, unless they're big names as well.

Wouldn't say that's good for Geno. Dunno where that leaves Banjo. The rest of the third-parties are probably still safe.
Why do we keep saying this?

Nintendo's been listening to us this gen.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Just dropping this here just to let you know
I got a feeling we won't get much new dlc after this, fellas.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks

Sakurai and the dev team were the ones who pushed Corrin from Fire Emblem into a DLC fighter back in Smash 4, not Nintendo. Nintendo's leading Smash Ultimate's DLC, not much of Sakurai and the dev team this time.

That should relieve you guys some stress a tiny bit about LEL FIRE EMBLEM. I do think there's a pattern made, but honestly who knows what patterns are left anymore, we've all been BTFO'd back during the Direct lol
but i want more LEL FIRE EMBLEM

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just dropping this here just to let you know
I got a feeling we won't get much new dlc after this, fellas.
Unless they planned Season 2 already, that is.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
New prediction.

-Bandana Dee
-Dixie Kong
-Edelgard
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-Sylux

R.I.P. Banjo, Black Shadow, Elma, Leon, Medusa and Nightmare. Fun while it lasted.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Metal Gear Solid 5?
Snake was included as a personal favor to Kojima who is one of Sakurai's close friends and was also included in 2008, almsot a decade before V
Cloud being in could be a relevant case if we even knew the remakes release date. They didn't seem to have that in mind.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don't know where you're getting that information, seems clear from interviews that Sakurai was presented with the idea and "came around on it" enough to make it work.

D

Deleted member

You're also twisting his words. He said they don't know if it went past negotiations, not that they probably didn't get past negotiations.
Except that's literally what Hitagi heard.
Vergeben said:
Hitagi heard that even though those discussions happened they likely fell through and did not get past the negotiation stage anyway

D

Deleted member

Just like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Metal Gear Solid 5?
Final Fnatasy 7 Remake is never coming out because Nomura is a complete ****ing idiot and god I hope Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't **** because of him and Metal Gear Solid 5 came out 3 years ago; also, Metal Gear Solid 4 was represented and nobody gave mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well poop guess this means were getting a Gen 8 Pokemon and TH FE character in this case. Maybe Sylux too.
>Melmetal
>Sylux
Sounds good to me.

This doesn't impact third parties I feel, but they're going to be directly tied to Nintendo in some way.
I think a DQ character just became VERY likely.
Please be Erdrick with all Hero alts...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Prepare yourselves
I'm so tired of Edelgard already. Her game isn't even out and people are already rallying for her to be in Smash. She's the obvious Lucina/Azura wannabe that IS is going to shill until people LOVE them and that makes me HATE her.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Yay I went from being confident in potential DLC choices to being completely clueless.

Will Nintendo focus on upcoming games, will they add fan favorites, or will they focus on getting guests to help promote Switch more? I have no idea!

Potato_

Smash Lord
So this Sakurai tweet is VERY interesting.

Really wonder who Nintendo chose, and on top of that which Sakurai deemed as being possible. I feel like this tweet is Sakurai telling us "ay don't blame me if your character doesn't make it." just to stop any disappointment going his way. Which sadly might still happen.

I dunno if it changes much in terms of DLC speculation however. Mainly it just shifts from "Does Sakurai want this?" to "Does Nintendo want this?"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>DLC selection was made by Nintendo

TINFOIL HAT THEORY TIMES

SO THAT'S HOW SO MANY NAMES ARE GOING AROUND SQUARE-ENIX AND HOW VERGEBEN GOT DECONFIRMATION ABOUT SOME OF THE SEVEN HE HEARD.
AND WHY NINTENDO THEMSELVES ARE THROWING NAME AROUND FOR THE DLC.
NINTENDO PROBABLY HAVE A SELECTION OF SQUARE-ENIX CHARACTERS THAT SQUARE IS WILLING TO LET FOR DLC BUT SAKURAI WAS THE ONE CHOOSING SAID CHARACTER ON THAT LIST OF NAME.
SAID LIST IS PROBABLY BOTH LEAKER BAIT AND THE ACTUAL SELECTION THAT SQUARE WAS WILLING TO DISCUSS ABOUT.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
So... what does this mean exactly? Does Nintendo care more about sellable DLC on a system that wasn't dead?

Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Proof this is the best timeline: Sakurai has just said "Stop asking us for **** please"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So this Sakurai tweet is VERY interesting.

Really wonder who Nintendo chose, and on top of that which Sakurai deemed as being possible. I feel like this tweet is Sakurai telling us "ay don't blame me if your character doesn't make it." just to stop any disappointment going his way. Which sadly might still happen.

I dunno if it changes much in terms of DLC speculation however. Mainly it just shifts from "Does Sakurai want this?" to "Does Nintendo want this?"
Knowing Nintendo its pretty certain they chose promotional characters like a Gen 8 Pokemon and Edelgard if we take Corrin into account.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Keep in mind that the picks being made by Nintendo doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any third party characters, and Sakurai and the development team still have the final say on who would work in Smash - they aren't going to force in a character just because Nintendo says so.

D

Deleted member

I don't know where you're getting that information, seems clear from interviews that Sakurai was presented with the idea and "came around on it" enough to make it work.
Though Nintendo never had any huge stake in Smash 4's DLC, that was pretty much all Sakurai. I just don't want people to think there's supposedly a pattern where this whole "historically" **** has always been BTFO'd plenty of times. Shofu pretty much laid down facts about that argument.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So Sakurai couldn't add Rex as a character for DLC because of DLC being decided before the XC2 game announcement, but the lineup was just finalized?

Is this a contradiction or am I missing something?

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Nintendo really would push for a fortnite character. I'll see myself out

Potato_

Smash Lord
Proof this is the best timeline: Sakurai has just said "Stop asking us for **** please"
More specifically "Hey leave me alone it ain't my fault okay blame Nintendo"

khfan93

Smash Cadet
So, whatever the characters are, their reveals and releases will likely be timed to coincide with releases on the Switch next year.

Major Switch titles coming in 2019 include...
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Bayonetta 3 (maybe)
Metroid Prime 4 (maybe)

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Wait so does this mean we get

- FE rep from Three Houses
- Animal Crossing rep from new AC game
- Gen 8 Pokemon
- Metroid Prime 4 rep
- Rep from game next year that hasnt been announced yet

Idk if I hate that lineup or anything but y'know it's nothing to write home about and I kinda doubt we'll get any of the classic fan requests. thems the breaks I guess

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, which characters would be in Nintendo's best interests for DLC then?
1. FE 3Houses character. Possibly Byleth or Edalgard
2. Meltan.
3. Sylux
4.FE Heroes character. Possibly Anna, Kiran, or Fjorm
5. Rex and Pyra/Mythra.

1st party
Relevant
Promote popular franchises

And all characters I couldn't care less about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom