• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My wishes for DLC, ignoring the chances of happening, but also exclusive to videogame stuff:

-Crash Bandicoot content.
-Banjo stuff.
-A Minecraft stage.
-Spyro in any way.
-Tekken for the second Namco franchise with fighters.
-Elma.
-Sora or Geno.
-Ninja Gaiden in any form.
-Another Koei Tecmo ip alongside the latter.

Thumbs up from me!

I do hope we'd get more than four songs if Layton does make it as DLC. Hino said that he'd let Sakurai make full use of the character if he wanted to so hopefully there will be a good amount of songs for the Layton series. Especially since so many of them are so good. :)
My father loves Layton.

He even watched the animated movie.

Edit: i need to post slower.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
A somewhat odd and specific question, but what do you guys all plan on doing first thing upon booting up the game?

I personally plan on heading straight to Training to get the “reach X combos” challenges via a mass Smart Bomb explosion, and then do a couple of other odd challenges here and there (Century Smash with Link on Great Plateau Tower) before I head into World of Light, which will probably end up overshadowing all of the other modes for a while. Hopefully I don’t end up breezing through so much of the game before the end of the month, as I plan on using my Switch on our flights to and from Mexico during the week of Christmas.
I hadn’t even thought about that. Not sure what I’d do first but this post fills me with hype

D

Deleted member

A somewhat odd and specific question, but what do you guys all plan on doing first thing upon booting up the game?

I personally plan on heading straight to Training to get the “reach X combos” challenges via a mass Smart Bomb explosion, and then do a couple of other odd challenges here and there (Century Smash with Link on Great Plateau Tower) before I head into World of Light, which will probably end up overshadowing all of the other modes for a while. Hopefully I don’t end up breezing through so much of the game before the end of the month, as I plan on using my Switch on our flights to and from Mexico during the week of Christmas.
Scan every amiibo that i own, starting probably with the Metroid ones and the Third party characters.

I want them from the start.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
My wishes for DLC, ignoring the chances of happening, but also exclusive to videogame stuff:

-Crash Bandicoot content.
-Banjo stuff.
-A Minecraft stage.
-Spyro in any way.
-Tekken for the second Namco franchise with fighters.
-Elma.
-Sora or Geno.
-Ninja Gaiden in any form.
-Another Koei Tecmo ip alongside the latter.
Mine would be

-Crash
-Suezo or other Monster Rancher content. Mocchi would also fit really well.
-Sora
-Tali'Zorrah vas Normandy
-Actraiser
-Wonder Red
-Ray 01
-Tom Nook
-Etrian Odyssey Map

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So even though its after halloween.. now that we know the full base roster and DLC speculation is on. Which Survival Horror Character would you like as DLC / Would pay for?

I don't play too many so you'll have to come back to me to think of one.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer opinion train thing, take 1:

:ultpiranha: 1/10: I can't get excited for this thing.
:ultdarksamus: 5/10 : In theory I should like Dark Samus, but I kind of want it to have more pronounced differences from Samus. But it looks cool.
:ultincineroar: 5/10: Neutral. It looks a oddly a bit small.
:ultchrom: 6.5/10: I like that's he's in the game, but I am really worried about that recovery. I'll probably grow to like him more over time.
:ultridley: 6.5/10: I had no horse in this race and I'm not sure what the gameplan for winning with Ridley is. There's something interesting about how it attacks.
:ultdaisy: 7/10: I like Daisy and I'm glad she's in the game but I'm not good at playing Peach... it might have been nice if she had more differences and didn't use the Toads but unlike with Dark Samus I don't need too many differences.
:ultkrool: 8.5/10: I wasn't really on the support train since I wanted Dixie but K.Rool looks like a good heavyweight (and good in general) and I want to use him.
:ultken: 8.5/10: Ken is a cool guy and a good fighter, and I like fighting games. I'm worried he'll just straight up be a better Ryu.
:ultsimon: 8.7/10: I like Castlevania and he came packing with a good set of weapons, too.
:ultisabelle: 9/10: Not only do I like Isabelle but I also like Villager, so this is great.
:ultrichter: 9.5/10: I like Richter and I'm glad he came along, best unexpected surprise. I'm glad they just didn't leave it at the most obvious rep. I want better recovery but that's the price for having awesome specials.
:ultinkling: 10/10: The only newcomer I asked for that I actually got was also the most obvious newcomer. Looks great, all around strong and the costumes look great, too.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Mine would be

-Crash
-Suezo or other Monster Rancher content. Mocchi would also fit really well.
-Sora
-Tali'Zorrah vas Normandy
-Actraiser
-Wonder Red
-Ray 01
-Tom Nook
-Etrian Odyssey Map
Most of those characters I would hate but anyone with Ray 01 on their list is okay in my eyes.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
5) Impossible Pick: Alucard! They reveal the assist trophy to actually be Alucart and reveal Alucard as the next Castlevania rep.)
You jest buuuuut that doppleganger seems to be rather fond of the Alucard form so it would just be a matter of changing the assist trophy's name...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My impossible pick for DLC:

guybrush.jpg

What a mighty pirate.

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
One of the Ray units is my semi-realistic dream.
Mega Mewtwo X is my pipe dream.
Agumon is my HYES

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
DLC wish list?

1. Geno
2. Bandana Dee
3. Rex & Pyra
4. Shantae
5. Tails

:V

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm going to rank the character reveal trailers, try to start a fun bandwagon. I won't include Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus or Piranha Plant as it feels unfair to compare them with characters who got glorious CGI trailers. I ramble a lot so I'm putting them in spoiler tags
K.Rool
This is such a disappointment. After excellent build up of showing Nintendo stars with their big bads and sudden shaking, we get the brilliant gag of Dedede fooling the Kongs while K.Rool quickly gets payback while the Kongs' eyes bulge out humorously while an amazing remix starts to play! That's genuinely good but then we get to the gameplaywhich does show some characterization of K.Rool as he does the sumo thing at the start alongside his backbreaker shortly afterwards which is a loving reference to his identity crisis, we then see his moves which don't really look all too cool outside of "Remember when he did this?" We get a rather cute gag of Villager stealing bananas right under K.Rool's snout which then shows K.Rool's most unique move shown for the character, a counter attack. We then get to see the final smash and a cool shot of DK and K.Rool running to eachother before replicating a Dragon Ball shot and K.Rool seemingly being beaten and taking some revenge. His moveset looked rather dull which really killed it for me. "That's not so bad right Gwen?" Not really, but then I realized there was no iconic "AURGH" sound effect which I honestly loved as it's the funniest sound effect in Donkey Kong Country and I was hoping to see that after being disappointed in Duck Hunt not getting it's 8 hit laughter. I thought I might have expected too much for a character who was my third most wanted a few years back but then I realized this character has been dead for a literal decade, longer so for Europe and considering K.Rool just might have been saved from purgatory just because of the ballot, they really should have made his trailer more exciting. **** REALLY hits the fan now that we've gotten proper gameplay of K.Rool, showing his sillier animations which I felt REALLY should have been shown in his reveal trailer as K.Rool's supposed to be incredibly wacky, his forward tilt, up and down Smashes and his down throw are very cartoonish and I love these animations and then there's K.Rool's armour gimmick that only had a slight acknowledgement with his dash attack getting shown with a taunt. WHY DID THEY NOT SHOW THIS OFF? A Juggernaut character who can armour through a LOT of **** with his moves is something you can EASILY sell people on, especially people like me who love stupid heavy ****, yet NOTHING! The trailer should have taken notes from the future Ken trailer by having DK and Diddy fight K.Rool in a mix of CGI and gameplay, showing K.Rool tank **** before cracks start to appear on his armour plating and DK using his bad ass punch to wreck him and break the armour, which would show us the consequence of recklessness in gameplay. Have the Kongs then celebrate victory while K.Rool is dazed before getting knocked out, only for him to reveal he was playing dead after a while and use his final smash as a sneak attack on the Kongs with the trailer ending with him laughing and dancing maniacally! Hell, I was under the impression DK would actually get his Punch Out gloves cause of this trailer but we didn't even get those! This trailer is easily the worst one this franchise has had, it made a character look painfully boring and disappointing despite the character turning out to be VERY interesting. The goddamn blog didn't tell us about this gimmick either nor did his character trailer on he site which makes it worse it took until a public demo of the character for this **** to show up
Isabelle
Fun fact!This trailer made me drop my guard due to it being fully translated in Dutch, which no other Smash trailer did, making me think it was just Animal Crossing. I didn't really pay much attention until Isabelle noted the mayor was busy camping and Smashing, which made me realize what was going on. After an adorable replication of Villager's Smash trailer back at E3 2013. We then get to see an adorable character do adorable things and adorably interact with Sonic while we see she's basically Villager only with some differences alongside some slightly extra characterization on her clumsiness before ending with her getting kidnapped by Kapp'n for some reason. The trailer ends off with Animal Crossing Switch getting announced. This trailer wasn't really exciting, but it wasn't really supposed to be, so it's just an OK trailer.
Belmont
I'm going to be a but softer as had Simon not been leaked by both Vergeben and Intern-kun, this would have been incredibly surprising and that genuinely is a shame. We see Simon heading into the castle and poor Luigi is inside Castlevania for no goddamn reason other than to be utterly terrified. We see the mummies which are great, then we see Medusa perfectly replicating her Castlevania 1 incarnation and goddamn does she do it so well. We then get to see Death, who while a little underwhelming imo, is still terrifying as he steals Luigi's soul. Then we finally get a look at our favourite barbarian while my second favourite version of Vampire Killer plays. We then get to see the long-awaited Belmont's moves and my god does he look ridiculously fun, after pulling another Fsmash measuring contest with Corrin, we get to see how cool this whip is, especially with the completely unnecessary but appreciated Super Castlevania 4 dangle alongside the iconic subweapons, after the monsters show up, we get the perfect final smash for Simon with Grand Cross (Which unfortunately doesn't look as cool as Julius' but oh well). We then get treated to seeing Dracula as a PROPER boss, which I wanted so badly after experiencing how bad 4's bosses were! Simon getting knocked back and put in danger builds up suspense to then reveal Richter, who spouts an altered version of the franchise's most iconic line of dialogue. We then see Richter perform his own unique moves from the series alongside a nice Hydro Storm gag. After randomly seeing Alucard, showing the love Sakurai has for this franchise, we see the Belmonts fight Dracula and beat him. After hearing the victory fanfare, we see Luigi is still haunted by Camilla, who although I don't care for this design of hers, I completely understand why they went for it considering the age rating lol.
Ridley
What's this? My most requested character from one of my favourite franchises? They couldn't do this one better if they tried. It starts out as a shout out to Metroid's horror inspired roots, being Alien, which is also one of my favourite movies. Ridley brutally murdering Mega Man and Mario is honestly the most shocking thing I've seen a company pull, as the mere idea of an official Nintendo game showing Mario get brutally murdered by getting his skull crushed is just unheard of! We then see one of the many ways Samus is brilliantly characterized here as she realizes there aren't any footsteps anymore and gives a deep breath, which is a good way of showing her now established PTSD. After a lot of suspense, we finally get to see Ridley in his terrifying glory. We get an amazing Zero Mission shout out with Ridley's face being reflected in Samus' helmet, which is accompanied by Samus' eyes shaking, showing that she's not doing well mentally against her greatest foe before Ridley's boney look gets shown off in more detail while we get to see our first hint that this is Ridley's best characterization yet. He ****s around with Cappy with glee showing his sadistic sense of humour from the beloved manga incarnation. We see some generic moves until the Metroid 1 fireballs and then what I assume is a Samus Returns shout out with the baby Metroid sapping at Ridley's life energy. We then see Sakurai gave Ridley the signature move he accidentally gave Ridley, the scrape, an amazing looking grab that travels across the stage, a necessity for his moveset. We're then quickly shown the GORGEOUS Meta Ridley alt which is very much appreciated. After his Up B we see him display some intelligence by awkwardly standing more upright as if to intimidate Kirby with a stern demeanor. Then we see more brilliant characterization, Ridley impales Link, and coldly stares at him while he helplessly dies, showing his love of violence. After duelling it out with Samus, we see the perfect final smash for Ridley that nobody else could have came up with. After that, even more characterization as Ridley clasps his hand together evilly before realizing Samus is alive, who jumps out in the Zero Suit with burning hatred in her eyes, which could also reflect her PTSD. These extra nods to Samus and Ridley are easily the best thing about this trailer and it shows us Sakurai does in fact, NOT hate Metroid.
Ken and Incineroar
This one takes the cake. It starts off with the best scenario out of the trailers, Little Mac getting smacked up was done well with his facial expressions. The reveal of Ken was simply outstanding, I may not be too knowledgeable about Street Fighter but this is the best Ken has looked in a while. First gameplay we see shows his smug ass taunt which I absolutely adore. We then see his moveset which is Ryu, who I really enjoy playing as, but with more kicks and fire, which is very aesthetically pleasing to me. We also get to see his Tatsu and Shoryu are just what we'd expect from Ken. After a funny gag of Ken hitting on Zelda (Why though Ken you're a happily married man with a son) we get back to the boxing match and it convincingly switches from gameplay to CGI again, teasing Incineroar and, which is the best part, mimicking Evo Moment 37, easily the coolest thing any Smash trailer could reference. The trailer spends a bit too much time hyping up Incineroar's reveal but he looks amazing. We get to see Incineroar's moves and by god are they awesome, even including a wrestling joke about how he's a heel and is ignoring Wii Fit's tag in. After that, we're greeted by one of the coolest final smashes in the game and the trailer ends with Ken dying and Incineroar groaning at it's new challengers, with Villager adorably bouncing around

D

Deleted member

DLC Wishlist Thingy
Rayman
Renamon
Chorus Kids
Gunvolt
Zoe Trent

Last edited by a moderator:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
late af reply but

Because Sakurai is clearly attacking you personally and ****ting on you by making your most wanted brushed aside for Piranha Plant to make fun of you and everything you love?

I'm just saying ultimate looks better than smash 4, so why would I let some bitterness over a couple characters get in the way? :)

Edit: DLC wishlist:
1.) Bandana Dee
2.) Doomguy
3.) Tails
4.) Banjo
5.) Geno
6.) Shadow let's go AT promotion

What I think will happen:
1.) Bandana Dee
2.) Jinbayan/DQ rep
3.) Sora
4.) Lloyd/Heihaci/Namco pick
5.) Honestly don't know who'd be last, probably another Sakurai WTF pick

number 6 is a joke ik it won't happen quit raging

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
When Rayman eats a food does it go into his mouth then stomach or just spill out of his neck?

Also

Steve
Katlina
Geno/Sora
Rayman
Karate Joe/Shantae/ BWD/ Paper Mario/Dixie Kong

I hope Steve looks different if he's in

Being square is fine but like chamfer his edges or something...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate is for me a similar case to Spider-Man Edge Of Time.

New game in the franchise, but reuses some assets from the one before it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Give me at least one character from my signature and I'd be satisfied with the DLC.

Probably not going to get that lucky though. I likely used up all of my luck getting back Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Pokemon Trainer, and then having 4/6 of the unique characters be in my most-wanted list.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I know I talk about custom robo alot, but for real, it is such a waste that it got thrown out. That series was amazing. With thousands and thousands of combinations of parts and a very high skill ceiling it could have been a huge esport game. Plus the story mode was always fantastic. The GameCube one especially. I'd give anything to see a new HD custom robo with online multiplayer and a real meta. All it needed was more marketing.

Spiel over. I promise I won't talk about it more for a while.
Unless someone else posts about it. Then I can't help myself.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer opinion train thing, take 1:
:ultpiranha: 7.5/10: I like it a lot. Would have preferred a WTF character that gives a new franchise some representation, but I like it.
:ultdarksamus: 5/10 : Any echoes to me are meh, but cool aesthetic.
:ultincineroar: 6.5/10: I haven't played PKMN since Gen1 and wasn't the biggest fan either way, but wrestling mechanic is neat. Would have preferred to see an NES Pro Wrestler showcase the mechanics, but I get why Nintendo has to rep Pokemon.
:ultchrom: 3/10: So over FE swordsman. The only reason this isn't a 1 is because I like Awakening a lot.
:ultridley: 8/10: I like the character and I'm happy to see more Metroid representation.
:ultdaisy: 3/10: I kinda wish she had remained a costume unless she was going to be properly fleshed out.

:ultkrool: 8.5/10: I'm glad DKC is getting more rep and he looks like a unique heavyweight. I like that he almost has a ROB gyro projectile mechanic but he's heavy.
:ultken: 5/10: Ugh echoes, but I'm still blown away by the fact that Street Fighter is in Smash and I love it.
:ultsimon: 10/10: My ballot pick. I played all the Castlevanias up to Portrait of Ruin and I have fond memories of the series. Castlevania IV is a GOAT game and I'm so happy to see Simon finally get his due.
:ultisabelle: 6/10: Looks like a neat and technical moveset. Not big on Animal Crossing.
:ultrichter: 9.5/10: I wouldn't have thought this could happen in 1m years, but Rondo is so underappreciated. This is so great, even if he's an echo.
:ultinkling: 9/10: Great moveset with unique mechanics and an awesome aesthetic. Love me some Splatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom