• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero

He's right though the power in that moment made my eyes moist.

:ultsonic::Bro just a little faster! Take my hand!

:ultpikachu:Pi-Pika!

:ultsonic:: No! Gah!

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
The game has already over 70 characters, how many more it needs to last long?
To be fair I don't think it's about how many characters they need to "last" like that other guy said. If the game is good it'll stand the test of time (hell how long has Melee been around? More than 10 years competitively?)

It's more the idea that Nintendo is a business, and Smash DLC is no doubt ridiculously profitable.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Because if you get your coolest guy out first, you can use him in marketing and get more people to buy your game.

Sure it doesn't build hype as well, but it's quite lucrative.
the new characters were revealed in order of appearance on Nintendo systems. it was an easter egg for fans. and honestly the most Sakurai way to do it.

D

Deleted member

P. Plant isn't part of the Fighter Pass though, so the path Ultimate's DLC will take will actually be decided by the first non PP DLC reveal.

The season pass only matters for those 5 characters after all. P. Plant is something separate.
But when Piranha Plant is also getting his own stage and music, which has been confirmed, you can't really help but to also include him amongst the rest of the Fighter Pass characters.

D

Deleted member

But when Piranha Plant is also getting his own stage and music, which has been confirmed, you can't really help but to also include him amongst the rest of the Fighter Pass characters.
I mean, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, but hey, if you're that concerned you could just skip the DLC all together.

D

Deleted member

Some more quick thoughts:

If Rex & Pyra ain't making it in, I highly doubt at this point Elma will be in the game at all. Seeing how Xenoblade is getting treated, there's literally only three songs from Xenoblade 2 and no Xenoblade X music. At this point, I think the time has passed for her. It's an all around unfortunate situation because her game is also on a dead console, people know Rex more than Elma and it's... Yeah, it feels like Xenoblade overall got shafted once again. Hard.

I still can't get over how ****ing terrible the pacing was for this Direct. Really, I'm shocked we spent time looking at BRIGHTNESS & SOUNDS IN A NINTENDO DIRECT.

Like, I feel like we're starting to go back to the Wii U era of Nintendo where it's "just good enough." The online doesn't seem promising, no trophies, too... But it's "good enough." And this is supposed to be "the Ultimate Smash Bros."

Like ****ing yikes man. No Break the Targets, no Smash Run, no Home-Run Contest? Where are all the fun games if you're including Multi-Man Smash?
I'm trying to find positive stuff, really I am, but this Direct really set my mood back a LOT.

View attachment 174966

MainJPW

M.T.A

He's right though the power in that moment made my eyes moist.
Sonic saving Pikachu art on Twitter is super wholesome.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

True words.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm kinda upset about the Grinch leak. Sure, it was fun to talk about, but it gave people a false hope. Only for that hope to be destroyed.
Banjo, Chorus Kids and even Geno have a shot for dlc, but Isaac fans, Shadow fans...I feel bad for em.

Pakky

Smash Hero

True words.

Keep thinking of this song when I see this moment.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I like the theory I saw going around in Twitter that Shulk cast Speed on Kirby so he could get out faster and save them all.
But... why wouldn't he use it on Sonic?

Fastest thing alive and all that.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Some more quick thoughts:

If Rex & Pyra ain't making it in, I highly doubt at this point Elma will be in the game at all. Seeing how Xenoblade is getting treated, there's literally only three songs from Xenoblade 2 and no Xenoblade X music. At this point, I think the time has passed for her. It's an all around unfortunate situation because her game is also on a dead console, people know Rex more than Elma and it's... Yeah, it feels like Xenoblade overall got shafted once again. Hard.

I still can't get over how ****ing terrible the pacing was for this Direct. Really, I'm shocked we spent time looking at BRIGHTNESS & SOUNDS IN A NINTENDO DIRECT.

Like, I feel like we're starting to go back to the Wii U era of Nintendo where it's "just good enough." The online doesn't seem promising, no trophies, too... But it's "good enough." And this is supposed to be "the Ultimate Smash Bros."

Like ****ing yikes man. No Break the Targets, no Smash Run, no Home-Run Contest? Where are all the fun games if you're including Multi-Man Smash?
I'm trying to find positive stuff, really I am, but this Direct really set my mood back a LOT.

View attachment 174966
The DLC lineup was decided as part of the project plan, which was right after XCX came out. She's by far the most likely first party left imo, because that robot gun is still unaccounted for.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
i feel like we got so caught up in potential leaks we ignored sakurai.
I mean, I didn't. I kept trying to say "Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, and he said the number of character reveals were going down," which Sakurai said specifically to prevent reactions like today happening. But people seemed to think Sakurai was just "trolling" despite being very clear in his words on two separate occasions.

Someone on /r/SmashBros put it perfectly: "Sakurai is the biggest mad lad in the universe, but he doesn't lie"

Noipoi

Howdy!

True words.

Sonic's a pretty cool guy, trying to save my dude Pikachu. It almost makes me want to play Forces.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
i could not see any discernable differences of daisy to peach.
Hold the phone. We have new actual Daisy gameplay?

I'mma scurry off to the Daisy forum. Later kids.

Pakky

Smash Hero

True words.

Also Sega please get back to this.

Hot take... You don't need chatty 90s voices to communicate raw emotion.

Calane

Smash Ace
Yeah I see it a different way but I totally understand what you are saying. I can totally see all of your points and a possibility of DQ in the game. The thing that I don’t feel is I don’t think it is a smart idea to try and break a game into the western market via another game and not the true game itself. To me I feel that the game should break the western market by their own game and not using dlc in smash as a way, cause it wouldn’t attract as many people. I cold be wrong and it works well but I just think people aren’t going to bite the bullet and pay the 6$ for something unfamiliar to them and thus both companies lose out. I don’t know if I am just bias but I personally think Sora is the way to go.
I completely see where you're coming from. I can see it going either way, personally. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

True words.

I'm not lying when I say this.

That moment and all the art/talk that's spawned from it has kinda reminded me why I liked Sonic games growing up.

I kinda wanna try seconding him now?

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm kinda upset about the Grinch leak. Sure, it was fun to talk about, but it gave people a false hope. Only for that hope to be destroyed.
Banjo, Chorus Kids and even Geno have a shot for dlc, but Isaac fans, Shadow fans...I feel bad for em.

If Push "Hype Responsibly" Dustin is telling you to still have faith and believe, then you know you still have a chance.

However unlikely it is, he's right. They could always make a character out of an AT. There's no unwritten rule against it.

I know I took a huge hit to morale when I saw both Skull Kid and Shadow, but that doesn't mean I've lost all hope of it happening. If not in this Fighter Pass then in the possible future.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sonic's a pretty cool guy, trying to save my dude Pikachu. It almost makes me want to play Forces.
Play Mania instead.

Or if you want to play a good 3D Sonic game with good writing... Unleashed, Black Knight and Secret Rings were great but dunno if I can recommend their gameplay.

Svenjamin Olafsvartal

Smash Rookie
Well, the Grinch Leak was sadly faked! Oh well, in other news, has anyone brought up why the Baseball item on the website is called the BEASTBALL??

D

Deleted member

The DLC lineup was decided as part of the project plan, which was right after XCX came out. She's by far the most likely first party left imo, because that robot gun is still unaccounted for.
But you know how that's gonna end up. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Xenoblade all around. Fans got the hard pill with knowing that a port of Xenoblade X probably will never happen after Takahashi said it'd be "very difficult to do", and again, combine that with the timing of each games and with the general audience in general knowing Xenoblade 2 over X, I just can't help but feel it's gonna be a bit of another controversial pick.

That being said, I'm now wondering if the Smash Ballot has any merit, since DLC was also planned alongside the roster. Like, originally I thought Sora would be in as the Square rep, but since this was during 2015, I'm possibly hoping it's Geno.

But who could you really add that is gonna catch people, since you planned this during the project plan? This is why I'm hoping we aren't getting just five sets and have a season 2, because Ultimate might need it. :/

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm going to say this. People should have listened and not let their emotions guide their critical thinking. There were Red flags and brushing them aside was always a detriment to those arguing for it being real.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean, I didn't. I kept trying to say "Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, and he said the number of character reveals were going down," which Sakurai said specifically to prevent reactions like today happening. But people seemed to think Sakurai was just "trolling" despite being very clear in his words on two separate occasions.

Someone on /r/SmashBros put it perfectly: "Sakurai is the biggest mad lad in the universe, but he doesn't lie"
reading some of these posts is unbelievable when they announced everyone is here people DID say there would be consequences. the consequences are removed trophies, no target smash, no smash tour/smash run inclusion, no events. they poured so much time into bringing everyone back as well as spirits it is honestly impressive. and im reading posts complaining the direct went into small details and the pacing was bad.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Play Mania instead.

Or if you want to play a good 3D Sonic game with good writing... Unleashed, Black Knight and Secret Rings were great but dunno if I can recommend their gameplay.
Honestly i've only played Colors. It was pretty good!

Pakky

Smash Hero
Play Mania instead.

*Heavy sweating*

Don't tell fibs... Its rough out here.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man the more I look at Wolf the more fun he looks to me. I love the idea of characters with great mobility but since they tend to be on the more technical or combo heavy side I tend to not pick them up unless they're characters I really love (such as Mewtwo), yet Wolf seems straitforward and very easy to control. Not to mention that wolves are just cool and edgy. No joke if he's both good and as fun as I think he is I might actually make him a secondary rather then just a pocket character. Then again having a true secondary while still maining Pokemon Trainer may be overkill and spreading myself too thin.

Edit: Well actually his run speed seems kind of slow, I guess it just seems fast to me because of the speed of the game. His jumps still seem good though.
Worse yet it turned everyone against eachother. No joke, that was possibly the most toxic I've ever seen this fanbase become. Even I struggled to keep from adding to the toxicity. And I was a Dark Pit main at the start of Smash 4's life span.

I've been really sarcastic lately.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Yeah no, anyone who actively chose to ignore Sakurai and what he said has only themselves to blame, not even Grinch leak can take that. Despite continuous warnings that Smash Ultimate was nothing like Smash 4 (and the timing when similar claims were made), people just want to feel ultra-hyped and burn out terribly in the end.

You can hype about Incineroar and Ken, you just have to take some steps back and see what we already had

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

If Push "Hype Responsibly" Dustin is telling you to still have faith and believe, then you know you still have a chance.

However unlikely it is, he's right. They could always make a character out of an AT. There's no unwritten rule against it.

I know I took a huge hit to morale when I saw both Skull Kid and Shadow, but that doesn't mean I've lost all hope of it happening. If not in this Fighter Pass then in the possible future.
It's extremely wishful thinking for a number of reasons I've said before, but as one of the last great fan rules to break, now's as good a time as any. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom