• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Petey Pirahna Plant was also in the crowd in Incineroar's reveal trailor as well.. Because hes a plant, get it? :laugh:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Thinking about it more, there is more moveset potential: TNT, Redstone stuff, etc. I can see the potential, but without personality, he's still missing a vital component about what makes a Smash character.
Steve is a mute. Is that a bad thing?
:ultlink: I don't think it is. :ultyounglink:
Also, I believe there is a personality in there. He's blocky, he's got stiff movements, that alone you can show character through. Steve is in a survival game, make him eat some **** in his idle. There's subtlety in all this.

Last edited:

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Kingdom Hearts (Sora)
Tekken (Heihachi)
Rayman
Minecraft (Steve)
Devil May Cry (Dante)

Just my 2 cents

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So now that we have a good view of Dracula's Castle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4BHD_4sIw
Do any of you think it could be competitively viable?
I think it has a good shot. The structure is a little odd with the stairs off to the right, and we'll have to see what wall shenanigans exist, but there's no reason this stage shouldn't be on day one and then removed later if it proves itself a problem. There's just nothing obviously offensive about it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Most of the DLC choices that i want and think would be likely/nice are 3rd parties
DLC 1: Rayman
DLC 2: Geno
DLC 3: Rex/Pyra
DLC 4: Banjo
DLC 5: Sora

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It was a character no one expected but the one we deserved, sort of like Wii Fit Trainer. Piranha is incredibly iconic and well-known.
Not as iconic as the goomba or koopa troopa but youre missing the larger point. IF they can make a regular mook why not Mike Jones?

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I want to say
geno
banjo kazooie
bandana dee
dixie kong
sora

but realistically I think we only get two of these at most.
Heh, these are the ones I said as well for my predictions! I feel you might be right though in that only some of these will make it, but no harm in hoping for the best!

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Here is what I consider the most likely DLC additions:

Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Doom Slayer, Geno, Hero, Sora and Steve.

I feel like there is enough evidence to support all of these being the most likely picks. Now the question is, which of these five will end up as the DLC.
I'm in complete agreement that these are solid choices. Rayman could probably fit well in this grouping.
And yet somehow, I envision that this is the timeline where we also get none of these characters lol

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Personally I think everyone should be preparing for Steve as a playable character, I can't see a minecraft stage getting in otherwise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Personally I think everyone should be preparing for Steve as a playable character, I can't see a minecraft stage getting in otherwise.
I don't think he's a guarantee. Albeit, I was surprised at no Minecraft content in base(that we know of. Spirits maybe?). But we should be prepared for the possibility. Not act like he's inevitable.

D

Deleted member

Good night.

Incineroar is definitely my secondary and...
23663463463 - Copy.png

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Because the majority of people don't actually care about him? And a moveset for a goomba wouldn't really work.
Again, how many people know what a piranah plant is, and youre saying that after we saw a stationary enemy that only exists to be fire ball'd be turned into a fighter. If a regular Piranah Plant can be made a character, a dlc one at that, then ANYONE is fair game.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I want to put this out there, while I wouldn't mind Steve(?) (yes, the question mark is part of his actual name), I think a Minecraft stage would do the game more justice than the generic paint-it-yourself avatar. Think about it; just like the actual game, it could be randomly generated, with blocks being destroyed with damage dealt to them and players rebuilding it using their inferior versions or just... dirt... preferably Sjipsco brand*...

*ThisismostcertainlynotanadvertisementforSjipscobranddirtbytheGEWPandisnotaspinelessselloutmovepleasefindandreportallGibusEngineersthataresufferingsothatwemayrehabilitatethemandfindthemnewhomesthankyouforsupportingtheGEWP.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'll share DLC predictions.
1. Sora
2. Bandana Dee
3. Elma
4. Crash
5. Banjo & Kazooie.

I want more first parties, but honestly, I can't think of many that haven't been deconfirmed that would honestly sell. I want to say I think Dixie could be DLC, but I doubt it sadly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like how in August we were all oogling at Simon/Richter because of the range of the whip, and then Piranha Plant shows up and just ****s all over it by being better at it than anyone else in the game.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Steve is a mute. Is that a bad thing?
:ultlink: I don't think it is. :ultyounglink:
Also, I believe there is a personality in there. He's blocky, he's got stiff movements, that alone you can show character through. Steve is in a survival game, make him eat some **** in his idle. There's subtlety in all this.
You just ignored half of what I said. Being mute has nothing to do with it. Dark Samus is mute, but her animations convey her personality in the way she floats and attacks. It's subtle, as you say. But what would be subtle about Steve?

Here's the perfect exercise to demonstrate what I'm trying to say: What would Steve's taunts be? Every character has three, and they all serve to further show their personality and character. Ridley screeches, Piranha Plant chomps, Ken gives a thumbs-up--and, to use one of your examples here--Young Link drinks milk. What would Steve do that shows his uniqueness and separates him from the rest of the cast?

Shroob

Sup?
My only question then, is would we get a Minecraft stage separate from Steve.

I just can't see BK without something like Spiral Mountain.

D

Deleted member

You just ignored half of what I said. Being mute has nothing to do with it. Dark Samus is mute, but her animations convey her personality in the way she floats and attacks. It's subtle, as you say. But what would be subtle about Steve?

Here's the perfect exercise to demonstrate what I'm trying to say: What would Steve's taunts be? Every character has three, and they all serve to further show their personality and character. Ridley screeches, Piranha Plant chomps, Ken gives a thumbs-up--and, to use one of your examples here--Young Link drinks milk. What would Steve do that shows his uniqueness and separates him from the rest of the cast?
You can make Steve do anything.

Fling his pickaxe, swing his sword, eat an apple. There is so many things you can make him do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
People want a generic Monster Hunter avatar and if these are the same people who even consider that, then I think that's hypocritical.

If Sakurai can give a potted plant and a ****ing two-dimensional paper cutout personality, then he can give a blocky boi one.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
When Incineroar does his Irish whip to make the opponent run the ropes, there isnt a reversal to where he would bend over for them to let them kick him is there? Because that would be silly.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think I'll keep it too, cause it just shows that two random French dudes are better at picking characters than Sakurai.
Yeah it must be really easy picking a good cast of characters when you don't actually have to design and balance models and movesets for them and don't have to worry about things like "broader fan appeal" or "negotiating with 3rd parties". Silly Sakurai, why go with just Incineroar as a fully fledged character when you could make 6 2D pictures of other ones? We should just hand development of the game over to those two guys in France.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
But he has no personality or expression or voice. That's my point. He's recognizable, but he's not fleshed out. There's not a single thing he does that conveys any amount of individuality. Look at all the characters in Ultimate. All of their animations and expressions and sounds convey large amounts of personality, including the ones that don't have faces. Steve is incapable of doing any of that. He can swing his arm and grunt. That's it.
Piranha plant isn't a fleshed out, developed character either. All he did previously was pop out of a pipe and try to bite or spit fire at Mario. yet here we are. Steve can absolutely get in

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I feel like there is enough evidence to support all of these being the most likely picks. Now the question is, which of these five will end up as the DLC.
I might be biased, but i consider Dark Souls to be a valid competitor. otherwise, seems solid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What would Steve do that shows his uniqueness and separates him from the rest of the cast?
I'll use my previous example: eating. It is a survival series, technically. Displaying (maybe even dropping) items in his hand, such as crafting table, diamonds, is also fine to demonstrate the crafting part.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I think, for DLC, it would be wise to expect mostly huge hitter third-parties (Geno is the opposite of huge), with one first party character that did well in the Ballot, maybe Bandana Dee? Although I don't even know at this point anymore. I can't wait to see what surprises Sakurai throws at us.

Shroob

Sup?

I'd throw Elma in there since Ultimate is seemingly missing Xenoblade X music, but otherwise agree.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve is a blank canvas, therefor Sakurai can do what he wants with his personality as long as Mojang is okay with it.

Steve is capable of moving his limbs in more than just two directions, as his swimming animation and even just his punching animation prove.

To give him expression, Sakurai can either change the "texture" of his face so that his eyes change, or use the new way Minecraft characters show expression in Minecraft: Dungeons so that it doesn't look creepy like Story Mode.

For his appearance, use the official artstyle from Minecraft's website and marketing and he'll easily fit in with Ultimate.

There's a crap-ton of things Steve can do, too, using a huge variety of items from Minecraft or even some kind of building technique if Sakurai and his team can get that to work.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My only question then, is would we get a Minecraft stage separate from Steve.

I just can't see BK without something like Spiral Mountain.
Did Verg say Minecraft stage? I thought he just said representation.

Chrono.

I just had a thought.

What if the stage Piranha Plant comes with is Minecraft?

But you can toggle it so it looks like the Mario Minecraft expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom