• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Heads up to anyone planning to get Ultimate digitally,

it's going to take forever to download. So don't wait until the day or two before to get it because it might not be done downloading.

Mine's been downloading for close to 11 hours now and it's not even halfway done.
Are you using ethernet or no?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I can't wait for Spirits.
One of my favorite things in FE Warriors is how creative they got replacing characters in the History mode dialogue. There were some super obscure references like this one.
Now in Smash there's a roster of 70+ characters, 59 Assists and a crapload of Spirits to play around.
Already we have:
Shulk and Lucina standing in for Rex and Pyra
Cloud and Bayo standing in for Cloud and Bayonetta
Wolf standing in for Mumkhar
ZSS standing in for Shantae
K.rool standing in for the Imprisoned

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Sonic?

He could have totally gotten out of there alive.
He could have escaped.

Sonic wasn't too slow. He was slowing himself down to try and save Pikachu. The hedgehog was reaching out for him, but Pikachu was too slow.

Sonic sacrificed himself for Pikachu. You cannot tell me this isn't honorable.
I **** on Sonic games a lot-- because, well, they're often bad and sometimes very bad-- but I actually quite love the character himself.

Always preferred him to Mario. There's more character there, even if he's stuck in a 90s kid attitude for life and more than a bit altruistic. He's more often than not an actual selfless hero.

Very nice touch in that cinematic.

Chrono.

Right now I wouldn't expect anything beyond the 6 fighters.

But there's always the possibility of them continuing to support the game.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
And we still don’t ****ing know what Diddy’s Final Smash is now.
We got it. Check out some videos of the Treehouse. Diddy vs K. Rool. It's something like the Sonic one but with with the jetpack and an aimed final blow.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My personally two guesses on the SE rep is the first Dragon Quest Hero with the next 7 heroes as costumes and Lara Croft.

Sora's out because he's by copyright law, a Disney rep, not a SE rep and didn't that Disney Japan interview say they weren't contacted by Nintendo after the DLC plans were most likely made? Geno's out because I think SE wants to go much bigger than with a character who appeared in only one game and not even the main protagonist and made only small cameos after that.

The 1st most possible rep is the first VIII heroes from DQ. Seeing as DQ is pretty much the #1 game franchise in Japan besides Mario. A release of a game there is akin to a national holiday. So I wouldn't be surprised if they made it. Other possible DQ reps are Slime and Dragonlord.

The other is Lara Croft. Western Iconic character now owned by a Japanese company and has been pushed by SE even before the roster plans like being Brave Exvius and Pixiv art contests.

It'll be one of those two characters.
Or, bear with me, “reps” aren’t a thing and the copyrighting would work out the same way it does for any other 3rd party company.

The other reasoning is sound, but there’s no law that says anything about “reps” because it’s a fan term and doesn’t really apply to anything else.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Sonic was also the guy who saved everyone's ***** in Subspace Emissary. Like, they were all set to get wiped again until Sonic came in and weakened him.

Sonic in Smash Bros > Sonic in his own series
Honestly, I'm wondering who's going to do that in the final showdown with Galeem. The Mii Fighters, maybe?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But Piranha Plant is perfection.
I agree, but if we only have six DLC characters and one of them is already confirmed...

It's gonna get intense when it's the last one or two characters.

Here's to hoping Sora is next. At that point I'll never ask Sakurai for anything again (I will support Joker until the end though).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

it's going to take forever to download. So don't wait until the day or two before to get it because it might not be done downloading.

Mine's been downloading for close to 11 hours now and it's not even halfway done.
The servers are overloaded because of so many people downloading it at once.

Which will happen again on the day before release, too. Any other time it should download as quickly as any other game, really.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I haven’t seen this mentioned, so just wanted to bring it up. I think it’s entirely possible we are due for an Ubisoft Rep as DLC. I know it’s early to be speculating this, but the inclusion of a “Rabbid Peach” spirit is somewhat telling.

To me, this says negotiations or licensing would have to take place between Nintendo and Ubisoft to even include this spirit.

I don’t see why licensing and negotiations would just end there (...granted we did get Rayman trophies last go-round). Just a thought here.

To me this pattern was kind of emboldened with the castlevania inclusion. If you look at relations between Nintendo and Konami after Sm4sh you could see they were on the up (Bomberman R starting as Switch exclusive, Konami games on the Classic Consoles, then MG DLC in Bomberman and Survive showing MG was around) I get it makes sense for Snake to come back if you are going for the previous characters, but those negotiations also included Bomberman...didn’t make sense to just stop there. I see the same happening in this instance. (Not sure where that puts Shantae either)

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207

Damn dude have you been using WiFi? I hooked up my LAN adapter and ran with ethernet and it only took a couple of hours, and that's with subpar internet. If you don't already own a LAN adapter it might be worth investing in one.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly, I'm wondering who's going to do that in the final showdown with Galeem. The Mii Fighters, maybe?
Probably Shulk. Dude's smart enough not to get That So Raven'd twice. Or Kirby. Or maybe all of the spirits you've collected gang up Galeem and allow you to fight them.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
My personally two guesses on the SE rep is the first Dragon Quest Hero with the next 7 heroes as costumes and Lara Croft.

Sora's out because he's by copyright law, a Disney rep, not a SE rep and didn't that Disney Japan interview say they weren't contacted by Nintendo after the DLC plans were most likely made? Geno's out because I think SE wants to go much bigger than with a character who appeared in only one game and not even the main protagonist and made only small cameos after that.

The 1st most possible rep is the first VIII heroes from DQ. Seeing as DQ is pretty much the #1 game franchise in Japan besides Mario. A release of a game there is akin to a national holiday. So I wouldn't be surprised if they made it. Other possible DQ reps are Slime and Dragonlord.

The other is Lara Croft. Western Iconic character now owned by a Japanese company and has been pushed by SE even before the roster plans like being Brave Exvius and Pixiv art contests.

nintendo has worked with disney in the past quite recently with disney broadcasting the smash 4 finals of evo on there cable channel, them oking a character doesnt seem so out there after that

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I haven’t seen this mentioned, so just wanted to bring it up. I think it’s entirely possible we are due for an Ubisoft Rep as DLC. I know it’s early to be speculating this, but the inclusion of a “Rabbid Peach” spirit is somewhat telling.

To me, this says negotiations or licensing would have to take place between Nintendo and Ubisoft to even include this spirit.

I don’t see why licensing and negotiations would just end there (...granted we did get Rayman trophies last go-round). Just a thought here.

To me this pattern was kind of emboldened with the castlevania inclusion. If you look at relations between Nintendo and Konami after Sm4sh you could see they were on the up (Bomberman R starting as Switch exclusive, Konami games on the Classic Consoles, then MG DLC in Bomberman and Survive showing MG was around) I get it makes sense for Snake to come back if you are going for the previous characters, but those negotiations also included Bomberman...didn’t make sense to just stop there. I see the same happening in this instance. (Not sure where that puts Shantae either)
Rayman had a trophy in Smash 4 though.

But I do think Rayman has a good chance just because of Nintendo's great relationship with Ubisoft now. Plus, I assume he is fairly well requested as well

Enchess

Smash Lord
Enough of the "you guys should be grateful" stuff. Smash is a product. It's supposed to try to appeal to people. They don't need to be grateful if the product is falling short for them. It doesn't matter if the product is amazing for others. People have personal preferences.

Personally, I'm disappointed we only have 2 new series with playable reps. That's actually worse than Melee. I'm still excited for the game and going to buy it, but I don't have to be grateful for the roster I'm given. I can be disappointed.

After all, the product is made for the consumer. It's trying to sell itself to the consumer. We aren't being given an undeserved gift to be grateful. They are trying to sell us something. Never be grateful that someone is trying to sell you something. That's silly.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Probably Shulk. Dude's smart enough not to get That So Raven'd twice. Or Kirby. Or maybe all of the spirits you've collected gang up Galeem and allow you to fight them.
I like the theory I saw going around in Twitter that Shulk cast Speed on Kirby so he could get out faster and save them all.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Well, time for some direct thoughts, I guess...

That direct..... it was..... i guess kinda.... okay, I cant be positive. That direct was pure trash. Absolute horse****. I waited months for THIS? I want the 40 minutes of my life I spent watching that back.

Ken, while he was basically a lock, and thus wasn't surprising, was still about the only bright spot for me; after all, I like playing Ryu, and I like Ken, and it's nice to see Ryu share this adventure with his training buddy/friendly rival. Better yet, he really feels like Ken; you can tell Sakurai knows his Street Fighter.

Everything else was ****. Incineroar was one of the last people I ever would have wanted in Smash (but not to the point where I'd skip out on the game for him, and for what it's worth, Sakurai definitely nailed his wrestler 'tude), Spirits mode sucks and just appears to be Smash Tour 2.0 (I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID "Watch this be Smash Tour 2.0", you know), and the Assist Trophy section..... good ****ing god. After ALL that waiting, Shadow and Isaac were still just ****ing assists. That's not the part that really bummed me out, it's the fact that they, along with many other fan favorites that got snubbed, were held off for this ****ing long, giving their fans so much ****ing hope, only to have it ripped apart from their ****ing hands right at the ****ing endgame AND destroying their chances of being DLC. There's literally no ****ing reason they couldn't have been shown off in the earlier directs; that would have been infinitely less crushing, but noo, they had to do the **** move. THAT'S how you build hype, get ****** hopeful for their most wanted, then waiting til the end to go "lol, they ain't playable and they won't be DLC, yeet yeet." I feel especially bad for Skull Kid supporters; they didn't even get the dignity of having their character get deconfirmed as part of the Assist Trophy presentation; Skull Kid's deconfirmation was just casually dumped to the website as if it didn't ****ing matter. Magor douche move.

All that on it's own wouldn't have made me hate this game, and I'd still have probably played it and loved it. But then I moved on to the worst part of the Direct; the DLC section. I was still pretty bummed that none of my top 5 were in, and I was holding out some hope..... and then I saw Piranha Plant. Then I saw his splash screen. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of his reveal. I was mostly just standing there, slack-jawed, trying to comprehend what the hell just happened. When I finally got my thoughts back, I just thought, "Really. REALLY. REALLY. Are you ****ing kidding me? ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?" THIS is our first DLC character? A basic mook from a Mario game, not even an actually important one like Goomba or Koopa, just one random Mario enemies out of dozens? REALLY! REALLY?! Is this some joke? Because it's not funny in the slightest. Instead of literally anybody else, they devoted resources to a character that literally nobody voted for. What a joke. What a ****ing joke. Say what you will about any of the fan favs that got shafted, but at least, y'know, they're not dime a dozen mooks and are actually important to the games they're in. This is the only character in Smash history that I felt was legitimately a waste of a slot, as I can't come up with a single justification for his inclusion.

My absoulte most wanted ever, Waluigi, was deemed unworthy thrice, but a ****ing Piranha Plant, just one of many, many basic enemies, is apparently perfectly worthy for Smash. So in other words, a Piranha Plant is a more worthy inclusion for Smash than Waluigi or literally any of the fan favorites that got snubbed. A Piranha Plant was apparently better than any of my most wanted, and was more deserving of valuable resources and dev time in a time when slots are so limited. That just hurts on a personal level. *sniff*

All in all, this direct felt like the ultimate middle finger to me. Is that petty? I know that's petty, but that's just how it felt. I learned, apparently NONE of my favorite characters actually matter. So anyways, I am legitimately gonna cancel my preorder. I get Ultimate will still probably be a great game, but it just won't be one for me. I wish I could still enjoy it, but I won't be able to take my mind off the fact that a ****ING PIRANHA PLANT can be playable but Waluigi can't.

EDIT: Unless they forgot to reveal them, it seems Home Run Contest, Events, All Star Modes, and a few other modes won't be coming back, which also sucks.
A character I dont like in smash?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Right now I wouldn't expect anything beyond the 6 fighters.

But there's always the possibility of them continuing to support the game.
I read somewhere that Nintendo was ending DLC and new content for Splatoon 2. I don't play Splatoon, so I don't know how true this is. I remember thinking...why? Why end new content for a massively successful multiplayer game like Splatoon 2? Especially with no sign of a Splatoon 3 for this generation?

So I can see Nintendo actually ending add-on content with SSBU. Its Nintendo.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

SORA BEING OWNED BY DISNEY IS NOT A DETRIMENT TO HIS CHANCES. DISNEY HAS SAID THAT IF DEMAND EXISTS THEY WILL LET HIM BE IN THE GAME.

Also if you're going to make claims about interviews I expect more than "that Disney Japan interview." I'd also like a source please.

Chrono.

I read somewhere that Nintendo was ending DLC and new content for Splatoon 2. I don't play Splatoon, so I don't know how true this is. I remember thinking...why? Why end new content for a massively successful multiplayer game like Splatoon 2? Especially with no sign of a Splatoon 3 for this generation?

Splatoon 2 is still being supported via free add-on content.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can only still want Dixie Kong and Impa. What are their chances according to you all?

D

Deleted member

My Piranha Plant will kill everything it sees and reach to the point where I will destroy everyone in Elite battles.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I like the theory I saw going around in Twitter that Shulk cast Speed on Kirby so he could get out faster and save them all.
Told ya'll Shulk was the Doctor Strange of Smash Bros.

Shulk: "I saw 14,000,005 futures."
Marth: "In how many do we win?"
Shulk: "One."

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

the support stops cause at some point you are losing money on making content, especially in splatoons case where they dont charge for most of the content, it had 1 piece of paid dlc in its entire support cycle if i remember right

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It's wired internet and it makes things so much faster. You probably know it as LAN. Sakurai suggested you use it when playing online.
Oh I think my brother uses one for his PC

I'll need to see how he did it because my room is like on the opposite side of the house from the router.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Splatoon 2 is still being supported via free add-on content.
It was a podcast that said it I think, that Splatoon 2 DLC was done after December.

Again, grain of salt from someone who doesn't keep up with news on games he does not play...

Chrono.

I can only still want Dixie Kong and Impa. What are their chances according to you all?
In my honest opinion, I feel the only first party characters that have a realistic shot are advertisement ones like a FE Three Houses character or something like that.

I fully believe all 5 characters will be third parties.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Splatoon 2 originally was only suppose to have free content up to June 2018, but they extended it to Dec 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom