• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh fantastic what the **** is he up to now, go ahead buddy, destroy my dreams even more.

****ing hate Insiders so much.
Well....

6:00
He say it again. And seems to drop the Hint HARD

"You can wait for the first DLC to be revealed, because they will probably make it the "strongest" to sell you on the pass. So they're going to come to the table with something...Pretty Big."
"Even if they said that the DLC technically isn't entering full development yet...Maybe we will see an announcement at the Video Games Awards as a DLC character, and they will spend the next few days to get ready with the cinematics trailers because remember, they don't need full gameplay trailer as long as they show you what characters shows up...Like, something they did with Metroid Prime 4, So yeah, we might see something Crazy at the Games Awards."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I keep looking at Piranha Plant's trailer, and my god does he have the fastest spike in the game? That **** looked frame 3.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
This really just sucks. I hate that I love smash enough that I'm gonna buy it enough anyway because I wish I could vote with my wallet in this type of situation. Like nintendo needs to know just how disappointing this direct was. Like hey, next time, leave the last last reveal to a character most people actually care about.

And yeah some people bring up brawl's and 4's last reveal but they weren't the FINAL characters. Just the last officially revealed before release. This is highly disappointing. Compounded by the fact spirit mode looks like event mode +

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I've watched the direct several times already, soaking in all the details as I watch each time, and it still doesn't feel real to me. I'll admit, seeing some characters like Isaac be deconfirmed as ATs in this direct hurt a little, though I'm also used to it ever since Lyn was reconfirmed to return as an AT. Personally though, the roster still feels incredibly solid, and a lot of fan favorite newcomers have made their way into Ultimate's base roster, so I'm feeling incredibly pumped for the game. I'm even unironically considering maining the Piranha Plant when it releases in February, that goofy little thing looks like so much fun in my opinion.

The interesting bit about the Fighters Pass that Sakurai made sure to mention though, in my opinion, is that the characters offered did not pertain to Echo Fighters. This has me curious if we will indeed receive some as bonuses or something of the sort, and gives me a slight glimmer of hope that Dixie Kong could make it in as DLC. If Ken can still be changed up as much as he has from Ryu and still be considered his Echo, then I feel Dixie could get similar treatment and become Diddy's Echo, yet still have her own flavor by comparison. Not counting my eggs before they hatch regarding her, as she is among my most wanted, but I shall still hold out hope for her until she either doesn't make it, or she's shown off in some other capacity to count as a deconfirmation (maybe being part of Diddy's Final Smash, as I haven't heard his being shown off as of yet).

The DLC for Ultimate is going to be very interesting now that we know that characters such as Spring Man becoming an AT and Rex being too new to make it into the game, so speculation will probably lean more towards fan favorite characters of yesteryear, if I had to guess. I'll be pulling for any one of Crono, KOS-MOS, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Geno, Sora or Banjo, as seeing more than one feels highly unlikely, considering we only have five known spots for uniques. The end of base speculation, only to shift immediately into DLC speculation is going to take a little time for me to adjust to, but it is one I shall become accustomed towards fairly shortly I feel. It's going to be a great ride though, I can tell!

As an aside to character discussion, I've got to say that World of Light is looking amazing. It looks to be everything I wanted with Single Player content in Ultimate, and I can't wait to lose myself in it once the game launches. Heck, I have Lifelight on repeat, as that song is absolutely smashing in just how great it is, and it alone has hyped me up for the mode.

Man, only 36 days away... feels so long, yet also so short. If only I could just sleep until then, as the wait is going to feel agonizing. :laugh:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Anyone else just kinda... Feel diffiused from it? Like it felt like such a long ways away from E3's Everyone is Here. Sort of just took the wind out of the sails for me.

Especially heartbroken by the lack of trophies, home run and break the targets/target smash. And what even with the piranha plant. XD Could development time please go to something that isn't that?
Would they have just not talk about it?

Those modes are solely missed

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I don't know why people are talking about "season 1" of a DLC. The website explicitly says

"Get all game DLC as it’s released with the Fighters Pass!"

There's only going to be 5 DLC sets unless they go back on their word.
I wouldn't be shocked if these last 5 characters are it.

But that's kind of ironic for Nintendo, especially when they just said in their last press conference that they were going to push more DLC for all their major games. Considering Smash is their biggest DLC seller... yeah you see where I'm going with this.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Sakurai also said they hadn't decided on characters for DLC yet.

I don't understand how the project plan is relevant for DLC picks. Mind explaining for me? Cause I'll admit I'm not totally sure but I'd think they're unrelated to each other if they haven't decided.

That is if we're taking Sakurai at his word.
all he said was they had not started working on them yet, the way it was worded was they have who they are picked they are just waiting to start working on them until the base game is out

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
This really just sucks. I hate that I love smash enough that I'm gonna buy it enough anyway because I wish I could vote with my wallet in this type of situation. Like nintendo needs to know just how disappointing this direct was. Like hey, next time, leave the last last reveal to a character most people actually care about.

And yeah some people bring up brawl's and 4's last reveal but they weren't the FINAL characters. Just the last officially revealed before release. This is highly disappointing. Compounded by the fact spirit mode looks like event mode +
So wait, it's not the characters, it's the reveal order that has you ticked?

I... ah... 'kay then.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know why people are talking about "season 1" of a DLC. The website explicitly says

I mean, yeah, that's self-explanatory? That's all the game DLC that will be released at the current time, no? How does that exclude future updates?

Iridium

Smash Hero

I also love the poses he makes now. It's almost like a taunt, for every hit. And he can cancel them.

Also surprised I haven't seen fighter no. 69 jokes yet.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

After the 5 sets they can decide on further support

Incineroar looks like fun to play, his personality shines through in his moveset and playstyle, looking forward to trying him out.

Ken is cool too, always used him when playing Street Fighter Turbo back in the day. Congrats to those fans.

Loved Guile as an AT and Yoshi's final smash.

Spirts mode was looking gimmicky and empty till the montage at the end which showed the correlation with this Adventure mode, genuinely interested to see/hear more about it now. Shame about some of the popular and more seemingly suitable fighters sowcased like they were and we genuinely don't know if that rules them out or not, but thems the breaks.

Piranha Plant looks hilarious, but meh, no trophies and seemingly other modes is a bit sad.

So looking like some of those perceived "insiders" aren't as much chop as many thought.

It is what it is, still have some characters like Rayman and co. who look to still be in the running so we wait and see for DLC and more information....

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Incineroar looks like fun to play, his personality shines through, looking forward to trying him out.

Ken is cool too, always used him when playing Street Fighter Turbo back in the day.

Loved Guile as an AT and Yoshi's final smash.

Spirts mode was looking gimmicky and empty till the montage at the end, genuinely interested to see/hear more about it now. Shame about some of the popular and more seemingly suitable fighters turned into spirits but thems the breaks.

Piranha Plant looks hilarious, but meh, no trophies and other modes is a bit sad.

So looking like some of those perceived "insiders" aren't as much chop as many thought.

It is what it is, still have some characters like Rayman and co. who weren't de confirmed so we wait and see for DLC....
other modes could still be there...just not changed one bit

andres22

Smash Cadet

Well, another thing more to add to this disappointing direct

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
hopefully after the grinch debacle, everyone will learn to take sakurai's statements seriously...nah who am i kidding, this community loves to overhype itself. oh well.
I wish I could remember who was rocking all the Grinch avatars so they could get tagged and come out their caves and admit the L.
they're hiding somewhere

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This is a bit off topic but...I was making some Ultimate fan art of the. Newcomers, so when I needed a refrence image for Ken, I looked it up and got pictures of Ken dolls.

Jolt_91

Smash Cadet
I'm totally ok with that direct as i instantly would have bought that game if they stopped at simon and richter.

And I'm hyped af for that piranha plant.

My question is, does that piranha count as one of the five dlc characters?
If I'm not mistaken, for me it sounded like they give him away for free because he would have been in the base roster but they ran out of time, so there will be still five dlcs after piranha.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Also, for the record, I don't hate pirhana plant for it "taking another character's slot" per say. Even back in the smash 4 days, the only character I cared for was Mewtwo (though I also wanted K Rool and Ridley) but I wasn't upset with characters like Duck Hunt or Junior being in in place of them. And I still stand by that. Ever since Sonic and Mewtwo, I've never cared much for who else did or didn't get in the games. But the difference with ulitmate is that pipe dreams of mine I could never hope for or even advocated for in smash 4, like SK or Fierce Deity or Shadow, became legit possibilities, but instead of giving us anyone I could accept, even Steve, we get a generic mario enemy.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
Would they have just not talk about it?

Those modes are solely missed
They had to pad the Direct out by talking about the brightness and sound options. They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel so hard I sincerely doubt they hid the good stuff from sight.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Remember guys, Piranha Plant IS a gaming icon. He's Mario's 2nd nemesis from Super Mario Arcade in the early 80s. He's effectively the classic character, the retro pick, the left field character of choice and an additional Mario rep. As angry as everyone is, this crazy mook plant is more iconic than nearly everyone we were rooting for. And he looks mad fun to play actually.

LetterO

Smash Lord
This direct was not very good. Saying it now, Incineroar and Ken were the best parts.

-Kencineroar was true and the box was right. Grinch was fake
-Sakurai decided to give a big middle finger to Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid fans
-Sakurai decided to deconfirm Springman and Rex which would’ve been perfect DLC
-All DLC has already been planned. No chance to ask for characters that weren’t added in base.
-Spirits was underwhelming and trophies are gone
-We got HAHAFUNNYJOKE Mario character instead of Geno who people actually asked for and SHOULD’VE been DLC.

We are far from the best timeline. And judging by DLC seeming to already be set in stone, none of the ATs will probably be promoted. It sucks for their fans. That being said, Piranha Plant is great and I’m maining Incineroar.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I'm gonna vote with my wallet and--I was already sold at E3. Every character back is more than I thought I could hope for. My only real complaint is the best part of everyone being here would be extending the longevity through DLC. But since the 5 are "all game DLC" that dream is probably dead as well. There I'll have more of a minor influence--was thinking of getting a season pass prior to this Direct to "complete the roster" even with characters I was less enthused with. But with Piranha Plant being considered a viable character--I'm just only going to buy the characters that appeal to me. Hopefully in the adventure mode I can unlock characters in the order I want and only unlock the truly unique characters--making "my" perfect roster*. Probably won't be able to, though. :upsidedown:

*sans Banjo

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I honestly feel like people overestimate how hard it would be to get a DQ character in Smash. I'm sure that Square Enix and all the other companies involved would see it as a great opportunity to push the series and give it more exposure in the west, and I see no reason why any of them would be opposed to such an offer. In fact, I believe it makes DQ even more likely since SE really wants the series to catch on more in the west. Being in Smash is pretty much the greatest advertisement you could ask for, and I can see both Nintendo and SE jumping at the chance to make it happen. Not only that, but DQ is one of the most iconic and influential game franchises of all time. It being in Smash would be an incredibly huge deal, especially in Japan.

Basically, DQ "needs" the exposure more than Kingdom Hearts, and it's an opportunity that I'm sure everyone involved would be eager to get behind. Heck, DQ has already crossed over with Nintendo twice before with the Fortune Street (or Itadaki Street) series. I don't see why it'd be impossible for it to happen again.

I'm not saying that it's a guarantee, and I wouldn't be surprised to see KH take the spot, but I believe DQ is a real contender for DLC and I wish people would take the series a little more seriously. SE wants the series to become more popular in the west, so I don't think they, or any of the other companies, have a good reason to oppose something that could really help the series out in such a big way. Especially with DQ XI heading to Switch in the future.

Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but it just seems like it'd be a win-win situation for everyone involved.
This is a completely fair argument. I would say that Dragon Quest is the next most likely series after Kingdom Hearts. I specifically like your point about Dragon Quest gaining exposure through Smash because it is true: Dragon Quest isn't popular in the West, and it being in Smash Bros. could be the boost it needs.

HOWEVER

Because of this, adding a Dragon Quest character is inherently risky due to this. Square Enix is concerned about the bottom line: what's going to make the most money and promote their company the most. It lines up nearly perfectly for Sora.
  • Has a large-enough fanbase that advocates for his inclusion in Smash Bros - He'd make money
  • Kingdom Hearts has notoriety both as a Disney series (Disney fans are crazy) and as one of the oddest crossovers in gaming history in the wider fanbase. Additionally, the series has been around long enough to the point where most gamers have either played a Kingdom Hearts game (likely the spinoffs on DS) or knows about it.
    • Sora is seen as near impossible by many people due to his association with Disney, so it would blow most people's minds if he got in
  • Most importantly, Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out shortly after Sora's supposed announcement at the VGAs. This is a HUGE cross-promotion opportunity, both for Smash and Kingdom Hearts 3. I can practically smell the corporate synergy from my computer screen. This is the last chance for Square Enix to show off Kingdom Hearts 3 and related content, and would be the perfect start to the Smash DLC cycle.
Kingdom Hearts has the least risk and the most reward attached to its inclusion in Smash Bros.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I still think that there will be a 50 fact extravaganza
NUMBER 43 CAPTAIN FALCON:
“Did you know that the engine for this game is ran by the tears that Falcon cries after every match since he’ll never get another game?”

“We considered using Lucas’ tears again, but it turns out it’s much more efficient on Falcon’s tears”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom