• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Okay, spirits themselves may seem like a disappointment compared to trophies, but I won't lie, Spirits mode itself really doesn't seem all that bad. It may be a lot like event match, but it looks like they have a lot of fun and cute ideas for it. That Owain Spirit match in which Chrom taunts at every possible opportunity, for instance, is a genius way to represent Owain without actually putting him in the game. It probably won't be my favorite mode ever but I expect to still have good fun with it.
Spirits mode was a highlight in all honesty. I wished for some platforming sections but a smash RPG with lots of wacky gimmicks is enough to satisfy me.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
He still has a good chance, he's insanely popular. Being a spirit doesn't deconfirm them from being a fighter, both K. Rool and Samus have spirits
Question though: We're the King K. Rool and Samus spirits exactly like they are in the game, or do they have on alternate costumes/outfits?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
wait a second guys

What if Piranha Plant was the main villain of the new Adventure mode? :dazwa:

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
This whole direct blew my mind. Idk it was literally like nintendo knew what fans wanted and made sure to rub their face in the fact that they weren't getting it. Like holding shadow and isaac until now. Why? that makes no sense. Both were super high on the poll, they knew they were wanted and it is common sense that if they aren't shown as AT's, ESPECIALLY when the last direct had an AT section, that most fans would start to speculate their inclusion into the roster.

It all just seems weird for no reason. Idk. Of course I'm still buying it and will probably love it, I just feel like the way nintendo went about revealing things was completely wrong. Like 100% the wrong way

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Frankly speaking, none of those characters were on the level of the ones deconfirmed today. They had their supporters just not as many.

The context of the timing is also being completely ignored. Those characters were deconfirmed early in the game's hype cycle. People knew they weren't going to be in for a very long time, and they weren't strung along. The popular characters deconfirmed today had months to worry before being told No, because **** us I guess.
Jesus Christ we've forgotten how Smash works. This is not the first time this has happened. If you're still shocked and appalled at late-stage deconfirmations, you've not been paying attention. At least we got a Direct this time. At this point usually we'd just have to wait for the game itself to leak to find out who's been omitted. But no, now somehow it's personal. And the craziest thing is characters who get the consolation roles are thought to be the biggest "**** yous". I guess because people think the other characters still have a shot.

Come off it, you guys are so ridiculous. They spread out the deconfirmations just like they spread out the confirmations. If you're so invested the deconfirmation feels personal, you've gone too far. And I say this as someone who had their most-wanted deconfirmed today. And I say this as someone who's most wanted character never gets role-confirmed early, if at all.

Also yes those characters were at comparable levels, go look at past polls. It just doesn't seem that way because the remaining fanbases spent longer in the pressure cooker that is the pre-release lead-up. Before E3 barely anyone was talking about Isaac, and almost nobody was talking about Skull Kid.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
God. I’m gonna get my ass kicked by a plant sometimes. Why does that make me love my life more?

I think I’m just addicted to smash. When people ask me how I feel about the Plant as a pick, I am sure I preferred something else.

When people ask me if I will play as him?
Yes. You bet your ass. All the time. First poison character? Check. Invincibility frames? Check. I like tricky characters? Check. Could be the mascot for legalization? Check.

Ken. I will never use Ryu again. Talk is cheap. And Ken is a smart shopper.

Incineroar. Cool. Grabs doing 15% average? Damn. That’s pretty boss mixed with the command-grab lariat/behind-the-back.

5 characters to keep me intrigued. Nice.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Random thought.. What if there is secretly a upcoming Golden Sun game Sakurai was informed of by Camelot and hes saving its main character as dlc?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
He's irrelevant nowadays. Same with Pichu.
- Most populer non Gen 1 Pokemon
- Appeared in anime
- Playable in Pokken
- Playable in THREE (four if you count 3DS) Smash Bros games
- Top 10 most popular Pokemon of all time
- One of the most iconic Pokemon

Tell me again how Lucario is irrelevant? Because your argument is invalid

Vergeben has doubled down on minecraft, so we'll be getting Microsoft as well at the very least.
I fear for this as I don't want it, but I'm prepared to accept

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So if you are like me and were really curious who was the singer to the Spirits (World of Light? Eh) mode trailer song, apparently she's the one behind the Kirby anime intro and is called Shinchi.

Another reason to love Kirby Right Back at Ya.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Again, World of Light is ****ing hype. I can't say that enough times.
Unless you're in it for the character interactions sadly.

It's ironic. I loved Incineroar and Ken's reveals, but it was the teasing and lack of story mode that hit me deeply where it hurts. I'l still buy the game, but man, the potential missed, going off of that cutscene....... sigh at least Phoenix Wright is still in the running.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So if you are like me and we're really curious who was the singer to the Spirits (World of Light? Eh) mode trailer song,
I think, and read somewhere, that it was Rena Strober (voice actor/singer of Azura in Fates) but I've seen no confirmation.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
hes irrelevant cause he sucks
- Most populer non Gen 1 Pokemon
- Appeared in anime
- Playable in Pokken
- Playable in THREE (four if you count 3DS) Smash Bros games
- Top 10 most popular Pokemon of all time
- One of the most iconic Pokemon

Tell me again how Lucario is irrelevant? Because your argument is invalid

I fear for this as I don't want it, but I'm prepared to accept

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Jesus Christ we've forgotten how Smash works. This is not the first time this has happened. If you're still shocked and appalled at late-stage deconfirmations, you've not been paying attention. At least we got a Direct this time. At this point usually we'd just have to wait for the game itself to leak to find out who's been omitted. But no, now somehow it's personal. And the craziest thing is characters who get the consolation roles are thought to be the biggest "**** yous". I guess because people think the other characters still have a shot.

Come off it, you guys are so ridiculous. They spread out the deconfirmations just like they spread out the confirmations. If you're so invested the deconfirmation feels personal, you've gone too far. And I say this as someone who had their most-wanted deconfirmed today. And I say this as someone who's most wanted character never gets role-confirmed early, if at all.
I'm not shocked about late-game deconfirmations, but it still ****ing sucks. Do you expect people to be happy about it?

People get super invested in the characters because Smash is designed to encourage that. Smash encourages that people do so that, when a new character is confirmed, their fans will go ballistic about it to spread word of mouth. A character joining the roster is treated as a big deal by everyone, including Sakurai, so being confused about why some fans get extremely depressed after a character they hoped for months for is ridiculous. Or do you think the people posting weekly in Potential Character Discussion threads are just going to go "aw shucks, too bad"?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I know I said that the emblem was there in the Wii U version a while back but, the amount of hype people have for a new F-Zero game makes me willfully ignorant of that fact rn

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
I really don't understand the criticism of trophies post-Melee just being model rips from other games when Spirits are equipment mixed with stickers, some of the art being over 20 years old with no bio. I'd rather take a model rip of Miller from MGSV with a short bio for him than a 2D image of that model with +16 to aerial attacks being the only accompanying text.

Khao

Smash Lord
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but I couldn't help but wonder about this.

I guess this is pretty much comfirmation, haha. Both the pose and the portrait match super closely. Interestingly, the taunt pose is actually mirrored. Was it changed, does it depends on your current direction, or was it fake and this is a coincidence.

I don't even know why I care anymore, but it's still fun in retrospective.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So...

I feel like he's already planning all of the reaction to this...And perhaps the future Square-Enix rep.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I want to point out that a music leak, Guile's theme, was actually a real thing.

Months ago on a Nintendo Power podcast one of the Treehouse people said the Street Fighter remixes were their favorite, especially Guile's Theme.

I sat there and thought, "Wait, did we know this before?" Lo and behold, Guile's Theme has a remix.

Bestgame10outta10

The best part is the Guile theme can be played on every stage. :smirk:

There is all items here. https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/index.html

.It appears that Spring and Team Healers may be cut. RIP them.
Except for Sonic's spring. Sonic spring best spring confirmed.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Out of all the Pokemon that The Pokemon Company has tried pushing as a face Lucario is probably one of the most successful. I don’t know why people think he’s irrelevant.
I'd say it was one of the only ones that actually worked, fortunately Pokémon knows how to roll with the punches in this regard.

Generation 1: Clefairy was briefly pushed to be the face of the Game, it ended up being Pikachu
Generation 2: I believe the face of the Gen was Marill, not sure who they intended it to be.
Generation 3: Not sure about this one. Gardevoir and Blaziken? Regardless I don't know who they wanted it to be.
Generation 4: They were definitely pushing Lucario, it was a resounding success.
Generation 5: They were pushing Zoroark, not sure whether it worked or not (definitely wasn't as successful as Lucario, at the very least)
Generation 6: Greninja ended up being the face of the Gen, though I think that was sort of a Pikachu deal.
Generation 7: It's definitely Lycanroc and Incineroar they're pushing, it's still too early to tell. Incineroar is certainly divisive. Magearna was pushed early in the Gen.

It seems that the killer for the Face of the current Pokémon Gen is trying to push super rare Pokémon (Zoroark and Magearna).

Also, it's very ironic that the Face of Gen VII is a Heel. XD

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
After this Smash game is finally done, I think it's time for us old-timers pass on the baton to younger fans and let them decide who to support. No offense, but I feel like our personal nostalgia and childhoods of yesteryear are hogging the spotlight when it comes to characters. We convince newer fans to support the same old (and sometimes obscure) characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Banjo, only to turn around and bash modern additions like Isabelle and Incineroar because "nobody wanted them".

We've had our time, but I think the new generation is ready to take over the Smash fanbase.
Spot on. I think this Smash really is the swan song to the old order. King K Rool, a vestige of DK's past, finally made it. Ridley, a character long requested for over a decade, finally made it.

Agree with his choices or not, Sakurai really has poured his heart into making this game. I disagree with his exclusion of certain characters that I believe should be playable, nor do I care about the single player at all. It just looks way too cluttered and uninteresting to me. Pretty cutscenes woohoo...I can see those on YouTube. But anything to pull in the more casual audience I suppose - I totally understand that. They can't just cater to old grumpy guys like me.

Never played smash for the single player, and with not enough to hold my interest in the core roster, I'm not going to bother for now.

But in the end, he makes the rules, he calls the shots, and he apparently feels that a lot of very deserving characters with a lot of potential should only be best represented as Assists. I suppose I should be grateful for their being a part of this grand farewell in the first place. And while I may not be getting the game, I am thankful he chose to include K Rool and Ridley, among some others, and his creative efforts really shine through.

People like me are clearly holding him back from what he wants to do. I might not like that, but it's the reality. I'm just kicking against the goads of change at this point. Ultimate is going to be good, but I'm too bitter to partake in the fun. I may be a bitter *******, but I'm a self aware bitter *******. :p

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Anyone else just kinda... Feel diffiused from it? Like it felt like such a long ways away from E3's Everyone is Here. Sort of just took the wind out of the sails for me.

Especially heartbroken by the lack of trophies, home run and break the targets/target smash. And what even with the piranha plant. XD Could development time please go to something that isn't that?

Roberk

Smash Champion
I can't wait to play as Piranha Plant, they actually look pretty sick to play as and I have a strong feeling that they'll be the next "meme character to body people with".

Although, like, it's ****ing "Piranha Plant". I legitimately feel bad for Bandana Waddle Dee fans who have their character be harassed as a "Hat Goomba", not get BWD in, while a literal generic enemy made it in over them. They're not an AT, so there's still hope for DeeLC and since BWD is has been extremely popular in Japan for a few years now, I believe was on Sakurai's radar back in 2016. Godspeed Bandana Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom