• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I don't think MTP would admit to it, especially since the person who leaked it is probably in legal trouble by doxxing that person (not naming him) and potentially ruining his life. MTP is also too much of an ******* to admit to any wrongdoing.
There wasn't really any doxxing if that is right since it means Eric was in it too.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Legit question, how is Incineroar not the most marketable inclusion from the bunch besides Isabelle and Inkling when there are a **** ton of pokemon fans?
They started strong with Inkling, then went with something that hardcore fans and metroid fans wanted with Ridley, then went for the nostalgia factor + hardcore fans appeal with Simon, Richter and K Rool, then went with another strong marketable character with Isabelle and ended with two strongly marketable characters with Ken and Incineroar, even if they don't appeal to the most hardcore smash audience they appeal to the generable public

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh it was possible. In-game cutscene, an ending CGI cutscene, hell, even text boxes for dialogue wouldn't be too demanding.
If the writing was anything like the Project X Zone games, I think we're fine as is, outside of a couple of interesting moments here and there.

Depends on the talent willing to work on him. There's a crapload of very good quality skins for Sonic in Smash Wii U, because the Sonic fanbase is huge and diverse, full of people with the talent and desire to make those things happen.

It took until after the August Direct this year for someone to finally do the no-brainer thing and make a Dark Samus skin for Samus, and it doesn't even look that great. If the Metroid fanbase was half as active as the Sonic fans, it wouldn't have taken like three years for that to happen.

But I think Ultimate will draw in a wider pool of people, since the Wii U game was one of the worst-selling Smash entries. Who knows what will happen.
Yeah I get how you feel. But another element is that for some characters it's easier to mod their looks than others and have it look good. So many potential cool mods for Mega Man and Samus, and when you check places like Gamebanana, there's like hundreds of Lucas mods because changing the texture on a T shirt is eaiser than making some cool custom stuff.

I hope the Mega Man EXE, Protoman, Quint and Bass mods for Mega Man don't take too long.

Not to mention Evil Ryu and Violent Ken.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Would it be a safe assumption to say Ultimate's DLC will be 3rd party characters considering they were planned much earlier and that they come with stages and music associated with them?
Not really... there's nothing going either way.

But! It does make Verge's claim of a Square rep much more believable, since it was planned early.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
So now that everyone has had time to process, let’s look on the bright side: Isaac and Golden Sun’s existence in general has been recognized by Nintendo/Sakurai. What we can hope for now is Matthew/Felix as DLC or a completely new GS game with the main character as one of the 5 DLC characters. Don’t lose hope Isaac Bros

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
....does anyone else feel like Nintendo is giving a lot of love to the mario enemies in 2018?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ok peeps. Since all your loves are officially dead, how about you do something for a greater good.. till all those 5 DLCs get confirmed. Or at least one of them.. and that is

Support Goemon for DLC

You'll be glad you did :D huh, huh?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Legit question, how is Incineroar not the most marketable inclusion from the bunch besides Isabelle and Inkling when there are a **** ton of pokemon fans?
They started strong with Inkling, then went with something that hardcore fans and metroid fans wanted with Ridley, then went for the nostalgia factor + hardcore fans appeal with Simon, Richter and K Rool, then went with another strong marketable character with Isabelle and ended with two strongly marketable characters with Ken and Incineroar, even if they don't appeal to the most hardcore smash audience they appeal to the generable public
Yuuuuuup. Thank you for saying this better than I ever could. People said Isabelle was weak too but that gained A TON of traction. They obviously know what they're doing.

By the way... while we're at that topic

Screenshot_4.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Would it be a safe assumption to say Ultimate's DLC will be 3rd party characters considering they were planned much earlier and that they come with stages and music associated with them?
Honestly I hope so. Like I said, Nintendo just doesn't have that many exciting choices left for newcomers. All I can really think of is Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong for characters which I'm sure the community would go nuts for as DLC herd

D

Deleted member

I'd say I can't believe we're still watering the Piranha Plant with salty tears instead of talking about all the footage we have this many hours later, but somehow I've grown to believe that very easily. I'm just going to ask a simple, direct question. How many of you play Super Smash Brothers? I don't mean talk about Super Smash Brothers online, I don't mean look at the character select screen and think about how great or awful certain things being "repped" is, I mean put a controller in your hand and actually play matches of Super Smash Brothers. I just see so little concern for how the experience of doing that is going to be and so much concern for honestly little things like what the roster is; it's so hard for me to understand that mentality at all.

So yeah, everyone else is salty, and I'm just hungry. I need this game in my hands as soon as possible. Seeing everything we saw today and then just having to wait; it's going to be a long, long month...
Eh, I feel like that’s falling into “characters are just functions” logic. Playstyles are obviously very important, but at its core smash bros is a crossover. The entire point is the characters and their personalities all coming together.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this has been warned since forever, but it never made any sense for CoroCoro to know anything any other publication didn't.

I'll say it again. Visually......... a 3 is almost an 8........
It's 108 stages with dlc...

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I almost feel like putting this in my signature.

Since Brawl, I've been chiming for Daisy and Midna. In Smash 4, I continued to basically campaign for them hard, especially Daisy. Ultimate comes around, and I finally get Daisy. Which is everything I ever wanted!

Except I also still really want Midna.

And also I really want Min Min now, she's fantastic.

And since third parties are a thing, I really want Jill Valentine, or someone from Resident Evil.

Even if I got all of these, and my every wish were granted, I'd find something else soon after. Fans become fans of a lot of things.
This is something I wanna say: I hate how everyone thinks character speculation for Smash will just die out after all the big fan favorites are added. It won’t. People will just find new big fan favorites. Nobody wanted Doomguy before Ultimate happened and Ridley and K. Rool got added.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Ok peeps. Since all your loves are officially dead, how about you do something for a greater good.. till all those 5 DLCs get confirmed. Or at least one of them.. and that is

Support Goemon for DLC

You'll be glad you did :D huh, huh?
Who?

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
This is what I think.

Maybe is easier for Nintendo add 3rd party chars as DLC.

Geno is a safe pick along with Sora.

The question is... who would be next?

hope we get Doom Guy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I recall that pretty shortly after I joined this thread, my biggest newcomer hope for this game would be "someone I didn't even know I wanted".

Ridley I already knew I wanted.
K.Rool and Inkling both look cool, but I already expected them to be cool characters if they got in.
Simon was a total surprise for me and even better then I would have expected him to be based off of my limited Castlevania knowledge and I'm glad to have him, but he's not quite what I was looking for.

But Piranha Plant? That is the literal definition of a character I didn't know I wanted. If you asked me if I thought he'd make a cool roster choice at the start of this speculation cycle, I would have thought you were either crazy or trolling. I would have had no idea how the heck you're supposed to make a fleshed out moveset for a character with no real arms, legs, or appendages aside from his neck, yet somehow they did it, and it manages to be both extremely charming and hilarious in its own ridiculous way. What an absolute madman that Sakurai is.

With that character confirmed, I am now 100% satisfied with Ultimate's roster, for the time being at least. I will ask for nothing else and take whatever is offered as DLC. I seriously couldn't be happier with this roster selection.

Last edited:

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
They're separate modes.
Spirits is where you fight randomized enemies with their own spirits. You're supposed to claim them and add them to your own "team".
World of Light is more of an "adventure mode" where you fight against bosses and probably how you unlock the bulk of the roster. The spirits are still in the mode, but it's apart of the campaign as a power up and backdrop.

Basically spirits are used across both modes, but one is more about randomized battles while the other is a fully fleged adventure mode.
Ohhhhhh :O All this time I had the impression that they were the same thing! So could we still see some kind of Melee Adventure/Subspace level scenarios or are they just battles with spirits equipped?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah most of these characters were pretty marketable. Though Incineroar had a mixed reception in terms of Pokemon too, because he stands on two legs or some dumb **** like that.

I think we sometimes miss that simply due to a lack in perspective is all, and we're all guilty of that to varying degrees.

Untouch

Smash Master
On the smash site, there is an "And even more modes!" note at the bottom, this makes me think that they just haven't shown off HRC yet for whatever reason.
They didn't show it off until the 50 fact extravaganza in Smash 4.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
The best part of that direct was when Loz was proved to be a legitimate leaker and not some troll who got lucky when we had the Skull Kid reveal trailer... Does anyone else remember that? (Hope someone from Smash Wiki is watching, dont strain yourselves moving those goalposts)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On today's episode of "Wagers I'm Glad I Won," here's a blast from the past. :p
I'll take it a step further. I'm so confident that Ken and an Alola Pokémon are the final two base game reveals and that the box theory is true, that if they aren't, I will Take the L in the Take-the-L-est of ways. I'll record myself singing Hallelujah with the lyrics altered to fit the situation and post it here, in the grandest "I was wrong" showing this board has seen since Slick ate chili from a shoe.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Oh! I didn't check the site, I just went through the Direct. Thanks for the info. What a dream crusher Direct XD

Umm, this needs to be looked at, but, I didn't notice that. Are they of "in-game" fighters spirit or just an old image? Like say for example an 8-bit Mario, that doesn't count, but if it's the Smash Mario then that's another story.
Yeah I knew about Geno through an image and since I wasn't sure if it's fake, I posted this before making sure so I didn't include Geno.
Hmm, was Square grinchy with Sakurai or he just had it with Geno? It's really hard to imagine that he's out and not even hinted as DLC. I personally don't care or want him but Sakuari said he wante him.. it's either he couldn't, or got past it. weird.
the male wii fit trainer has one of his ultimate model im pretty sure. the others have older renders so that might be in geno's favor

KMDP

Smash Legend
What newcomers?

If you're talking about the 5 DLC characters, they told us that they've only just started developing them, so there was nothing to show.
Well, aside from P. Plant of course.
*idly wonders if it would have been considered good marketing to have told the fans who the 5 DLC characters are going to be during the Direct*

Sakurai did say that he knows people don't like dipping into Season Passes because there's no guarantee you'll get something you like.
And dont forget the most important part of SFIII Ken

This

I'm looking forward to EVO 2019 when this moment is recreated somehow in Smash Bros. :laugh:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
This is what I think.

Maybe is easier for Nintendo add 3rd party chars as DLC.

Geno is a safe pick along with Sora.

The question is... who would be next?

hope we get Doom Guy.
Probably rayman, banjo, steve, crash, or someone extremely unexpected...like bubsy or sans.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
About the new Story Mode...

Here is what we know about the new mode.

1. It has an overworld you can move about and explore, it's not just an image but actually intractable scenery as we see with the characters jumping into the lake to slide down the river. It appears there are some light puzzle elements like exploring to hunt down and press a switch to make another path forward through appear.

2. The overworld is based on different game series as opposed to being something original. So in this sense it's closer to Melee's adventure mode and how it had levels based on existing series, than SSE with its totally new albeit rather generic level locations.

3. There are bosses in this mode, we saw Galleum (or however that is spelt) from SSE return. Also it appears that the bosses at least will have introductory cutscenes. How many bosses this proves true for and if these are the only cutscenes besides the opening and maybe the ending remains to be seen.

4. So far in the short bit of gameplay we saw the only levels we saw were basically a bunch of event matches. This doesn't mean it will be only event matches but for now it remains speculation, anyone who says otherwise is making brazen assumptions.

5. It's got a story in the sense that we need to stop that big angel wing baddie and save all the fighters, but it's supposed to be less story focused than SSE so we probably won't get much more if any plot than that. So probably no surprise Tabuu puppet master-esque twist and tragic rob sacrifices this time.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
On the smash site, there is an "And even more modes!" note at the bottom, this makes me think that they just haven't shown off HRC yet for whatever reason.
They didn't show it off until the 50 fact extravaganza in Smash 4.
Don't do that to me... I don't want to hope...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Depends on the talent willing to work on him. There's a crapload of very good quality skins for Sonic in Smash Wii U, because the Sonic fanbase is huge and diverse, full of people with the talent and desire to make those things happen.

It took until after the August Direct this year for someone to finally do the no-brainer thing and make a Dark Samus skin for Samus, and it doesn't even look that great. If the Metroid fanbase was half as active as the Sonic fans, it wouldn't have taken like three years for that to happen.
And if there were simply more diehard Metroid fans in the world, we wouldn't be waiting like a decade between releases, either. Sonic's games may be fairly ****ty on the whole, but people still buy them more than they do Metroid games.

I wish liked more popular things in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom