• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly really happy that, of all characters, Wrys is a Spirit.
I know there is going to be someone that does really good because they use troll character stickers like Wyrs. /s

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is the box theory REALLY right though? Doesn't dlc deconfirm it?
lmfao check this denial out. It IS right cause the theory was 2 characters, one being an echo, and they aren't going to slap the DLC characters on the box of a special edition before they're finished, especially as they're predicted a full year for dlc

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I feel like Nintendo mishandled the hype and didn't spread out their biggest announcements well. Here's how they should have handled character announcement to to spread out the most exciting additions.

Announcement - Inklings
Good first reveal and expected newcomer. The hype of the announcement itself was enough.

E3- Daisy and Ridley
They still had it right here. Introduce echoes so having one makes sense. Ridley was a big reveal so having him here makes sense.

8/8 Direct- Isabelle (No AC announcement), Ken, Incineroar
Extremely exciting direct that would have been fine with some mostly meh additions. All the information was hype enough.

General Direct- Simon/Richter Belmont
In it's small segment, this would have created some hype with third party characters. Big enough to tide people over for the ensuing drought.

11/11 Direct- Chrom, Dark Samus, King K Rool
You have your other huge reveal in K. Rool and some echoes some people would be excited for. Good hype for the last stretch.

If they would have done it this way, I think people would have been much less disappointed with this direct and the hype cycle in general. They just put all their heavy hitters out early and the end felt underwhelming.
But Smash has never revealed their heaviest hitters last.

I feel like a parrot saying this over and over.

From a marketing perspective, saving your most marketable inclusion in a new game for a mere month before release is a terrible idea. So that's probably a major reason for it. You want to have your most exciting things out there already so you can continue to harp on those in your advertisements. But also, they're pushing the "order included" thing hard, and the order of their announcements follows the characters' corresponding numbers exactly. So either they determined the announcement order and retroactively applied the numbers, or they were intent on announcing characters in the exact order that they were added to the game.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
OOF THIS DID NOT AGE WELL AT ALL LOL
I dont know. Material like this writes itself if you ask me. Just look at this post:

TeamFake: "40 minutes is way too short of time to announce 7 new characters."
>Last direct was 30 minutes and revealed 5.

TeamFake: "There's no way Capcom, Sega, and Square would like having their biggest characters announced simultaneously."
>Cuz Ken, Shadow the Edgehog, and Geno from one game in 1990 are huge characters like Ryu, Sonic, and Cloud.

TeamFake: "W-Well, the Insiders are all against it!"
>Nobody knew about K.Rool, and Sakurai is good at keeping a tight lid on (some) things.

TeamFake:

I mean, if I'm wrong, you guys win and I apologize for razzin' ya, but come on, a 40 MINUTE SMASH-FOCUSED DIRECT, just a few days after the Grinch leak??

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You say "At the cost of a proper story mode" as if that **** was still possible. Like, look at all this ****. What the **** was the budget? Game development ain't cheap and all this work is just. Wow.
Oh it was possible. In-game cutscenes, an ending CGI cutscene, hell, even text boxes for dialogue wouldn't be too demanding.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
lmfao check this denial out. It IS right cause the theory was 2 characters, one being an echo, and they aren't going to slap the DLC characters on the box of a special edition before they're finished, especially as they're predicted a full year for dlc
You don't have to be a ****ing jackass about it, geez. I didn't know, okay??

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Listen man, i really wanna still have hope that Geno is DLC because he only appeared as an icon for a mini-game thing.....but i can't man, my soul can't take another gutpunch.

D

Deleted member

I hope World of Light is a big mode. They didn’t show off much, but first impressions are decent, hopefully there are cutscenes.
(Gotta admit though, I’m a kirby fan, but seeing Kirby as the main character kinda annoys me more than it should)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Spring Man and (seemingly) Rex are deconfirmed, but I don't think all is lost for newer first-parties. Just because DLC is possibly pre-planned doesn't mean Sakurai isn't considering characters from future games. I mean, Corrin still got in, didn't he? This situation isn't any different than that IMO, so Gen 8 and Three Houses are fair game.

And on a more personal note, since none of the Champions became ATs, you'd better believe I'm supporting them up until the last DLC character. I know my odds aren't great because we already have a BotW stage, but that ain't stopping me.
At least we can make Ribbon Girl as a Mii Fighter :D

Pakky

Smash Hero
Y'all see the Rabbid Peach spirit?

Ubisoft still can't catch a break, lol.
So we're getting Rayman fo sho.

Also a small 'teehee', Shantae did get in... kinda.

Last edited:

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
MTP? The Mario Teh Plumber theory was real all along.
This fake leak was truly painful :( I mean, it’s our own fault for believing it, but still, I wish people stopped doing fake leaks. They raise hopes and expectations just to end up being absolutely crushed at the end, it is really cruel :(

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just realized something.

We didn't get a demo announced at all...

I wonder why.

Also treehouse didn't show the character select screen from what I saw briefly. So I wonder is there DLC prototypes on it?

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Are Spirit and World of light not the same thing? I felt like it seemed as though the spirits segment was explaining how it worked and world of light at the end was the overworld and how it all comes together. It was so confusing how they did it, but I got the impression it is the same mode.
Yes and no, it seems like you can use spirits to unlock additional stuff and maybe even create custom battles but that's me guessing based off of what they did show.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
so how long do you guys think itll be after the dlc until someone makes a geno mod (if he doesnt get in as a fighter)
Depends on the talent willing to work on him. There's a crapload of very good quality skins for Sonic in Smash Wii U, because the Sonic fanbase is huge and diverse, full of people with the talent and desire to make those things happen.

It took until after the August Direct this year for someone to finally do the no-brainer thing and make a Dark Samus skin for Samus, and it doesn't even look that great. If the Metroid fanbase was half as active as the Sonic fans, it wouldn't have taken like three years for that to happen.

But I think Ultimate will draw in a wider pool of people, since the Wii U game was one of the worst-selling Smash entries. Who knows what will happen.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'd say I can't believe we're still watering the Piranha Plant with salty tears instead of talking about all the footage we have this many hours later, but somehow I've grown to believe that very easily. I'm just going to ask a simple, direct question. How many of you play Super Smash Brothers? I don't mean talk about Super Smash Brothers online, I don't mean look at the character select screen and think about how great or awful certain things being "repped" is, I mean put a controller in your hand and actually play matches of Super Smash Brothers. I just see so little concern for how the experience of doing that is going to be and so much concern for honestly little things like what the roster is; it's so hard for me to understand that mentality at all.

So yeah, everyone else is salty, and I'm just hungry. I need this game in my hands as soon as possible. Seeing everything we saw today and then just having to wait; it's going to be a long, long month...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Waluigi tried to cheat his way in
>didn't realise that his closest ally and friend out-cheated him

ad3c96ce5b3f3a11ea58ad2de82efd5a403c5652r1-1700-1814v2_hq.jpg

Top 10 Anime Betrayals.

Well, any 3D Street Fighter game.

Don't diss SF3 era Ken.

View attachment 174689

He looked pretty cool before he got hit in the face with a frying pan, or whatever the hell happened in SFV.
This is why I hope Morrigan gets in someday. Her look in MvCI was utterly terrible, and it'd be a pity if that is her last crossover fighter appearance.

You won't because there's no end to fan favourites and Sakurai can't add every single one.
That's fine by me. I just hope they got a successor picked if he ends up croaking from overexertion though. :(

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I know I asked this earlier and I just watched the direct 2 times but did they really not confirm how we unlock characters and add them to the roster?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So this might not be the best thread for this but Zelda fans, who is our next character hope?

This is assuming ATs can't be promoted, I'm hoping for one of the Champions. Honestly after PP anything can happen so why not one of the Champions? I'd love Tetra too, but I don't see that happening.

Other Zelda fans?

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
No idea if this has been said as we are moving quickly but I don't think being a Spirit will be a disqualifyer for being a DLC fighter. With the amount/breadth we are seeing of the spirits, it seems most characters we would think would be a possible fighter are in there. Unless we are talking 3rd parties that have had nothing to do with anything in Smash before, a spirit for a dlc fighter is plausible. Mewtwo had trophies in Smash 4 before returning as DLC. Just seems hasty to say that if there is a spirit, they can't be a fighter in DLC.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I just realized something.

We didn't get a demo announced at all...

I wonder why.

Also treehouse didn't show the character select screen from what I saw briefly. So I wonder is there DLC prototypes on it?
They did show it, it's very likely the final build too

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You won't because there's no end to fan favourites and Sakurai can't add every single one.
I almost feel like putting this in my signature.

Since Brawl, I've been chiming for Daisy and Midna. In Smash 4, I continued to basically campaign for them hard, especially Daisy. Ultimate comes around, and I finally get Daisy. Which is everything I ever wanted!

Except I also still really want Midna.

And also I really want Min Min now, she's fantastic.

And since third parties are a thing, I really want Jill Valentine, or someone from Resident Evil.

Even if I got all of these, and my every wish were granted, I'd find something else soon after. Fans become fans of a lot of things.

D

Deleted member

I have to agree with Cutie Gwen, especially when she said that the game is not easy to make.

Making all of those spirits work, animating those fantastic CGI cutscenes is not easy. Making a game is not easy at all even with a big crew.
Ultimate seems to have a ton of effort placed into it. Nintendo hyped this just as much as BOTW, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, which is saying something. Ultimate is going to be a fantastic game, I know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
MTP? The Mario Teh Plumber theory was real all along.
I don't think MTP would admit to it, especially since the person who leaked it is probably in legal trouble by doxxing that person (not naming him) and potentially ruining his life. MTP is also too much of an asshole to admit to any wrongdoing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Overall ill rate it 6/10 We could have got more newcomers but eh
What newcomers?

If you're talking about the 5 DLC characters, they told us that they've only just started developing them, so there was nothing to show.
Well, aside from P. Plant of course.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Would it be a safe assumption to say Ultimate's DLC will be 3rd party characters considering they were planned much earlier and that they come with stages and music associated with them?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope World of Light is a big mode. They didn’t show off much, but first impressions are decent, hopefully there are cutscenes.
(Gotta admit though, I’m a kirby fan, but seeing Kirby as the main character kinda annoys me more than it should)
I mean, it was either him or Mario.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
DLC is gonna be interesting. The majority of “locked” characters are assist trophies so they hardly have a chance if any at all, and we’re only getting 5 DLC characters (Unless we get a season 2) which limits things a lot. I imagine that we’ll get two 3rd party characters and three 1st party reps, but I do wanna know if those 1st party reps will include obvious promotional characters like a FE Three Houses rep and a Gen 8 Pokemon. Imo they shouldn’t, but who knows. One of the 3rd party reps is more than likely Sora, the other is probably either Steve or Banjo. I don’t see Geno getting in as DLC because Square probably sees no money in him. I really feel like it was base game or bust for Geno, but I hope to be proven otherwise. Post Launch is gonna be a very interesting period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom