• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
By the way, for anyone Hoping geno is dlc...NOPE. He's a sticker in spirits mode. So rip him.
Edit: IGNORE.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
They are REALLY adamant on not admitting Vergeben was right on Smash Wiki while still saying LoZ18 was right about everything. Can someone explain this to me i am Way out of the loop? Why is Vergeben wrong and Skull Kid Boi right? Why is there double standards on confirming a leak?

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Raspberry said:
I honestly don't think people who are a bit unsatisfied with the final base-game roster should be labeled as ungrateful. Even ignoring the leak altogether, newcomers such as Shadow and Isaac were hugely requested and Zelda hasn't received a new playable character besides the different iterations of Link in almost two decades. The lack of satisfaction stems from the apparent absurdity of some of the choices related to the roster.

I don't blame Sakurai for choosing to limit the number of base-game newcomers given how much effort developing this game has required, but choosing to make them Assist Trophies once again feels... bad. I (and many others, I'm sure) would have preferred them to be DLC instead of Assist Trophies. I don't know, Sakurai's choice doesn't make any sense to me, since it's a bad choice even from a financial standpoint (they would have sold like hotcakes).

Basically, I believe people would have been less salty if Isaac and Shadow hadn't been in the game at all (until a potential DLC announcement), since it would have left the door open for them to be added later. Right now, it looks like their fate is sealed, which is a huge shock considering the fact that a character like Piranha Plant was announced to be playable. Why have the Ballot if you're going to ignore some of the top choices?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Piranha Plant himself, he's just the victim of bad timing and I would have been more than happy to see him included knowing that we could still get these highly-requested characters in the future. I think it's reasonable for some people to be slightly annoyed by the fact that Sakurai has chosen to make a generic enemy playable (completely generic, this time, unlike Bandana Dee) while relegating important protagonists/antagonists to Assist Trophy status once again. At the same time, I don't think comparing Piranha Plant to R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch or Wii Fit Trainer is fair, since they are either the main characters of their games or, in R.O.B.'s case, a unique moment in Nintendo's history.

Basically, had very popular characters like Shadow and Isaac been part of the DLC season, this game could have been perfect for more people than it's gonna be in this timeline. That alone seems like a good enough reason to be disappointed today, despite Sakurai's work which we all respect. Tomorrow, we know that we'll still have the biggest game in the series, we know we're still gonna have 103 stages, countless characters and so on, but we also know what we will probably never have in this same extraordinary and once-in-a-lifetime "Everyone is Here!" game - the possibility to play some characters that have been highly requested for years.
Perfect summary.

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
i feel bad for Sakurai, everyone is back, everyone is reworked, tons of new characters and new ****, i dont think he's trolling or anything, just genuinely doing the best that it can.

Nintendo at the end of the day is a business, if they're going to choose between Incineroar or Geno, they need to think which character is going to move more units, i dont think it entirely relies on Sakurai.

We also have DLCs coming, 5 completely new characters are going to be added, we just need to wait a little longer.

We have a gigantic games coming in 1 month, a lot of franchises cant even dream of having this luxury.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
By the way, if you thought the beams that vaporized all your favorite video game characters looked familiar, there's a good reason why.

It was basically Super Buu's Genocide Rain.
Super Buu confirmed.

Now we'll see if those Death Battle ***holes were right.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
i feel bad for Sakurai, everyone is back, everyone is reworked, tons of new characters and new ****, i dont think he's trolling or anything, just genuinely doing the best that it can.

Nintendo at the end of the day is a business, if they're going to choose between Incineroar or Geno, they need to think which character is going to move more units, i dont think it entirely relies on Sakurai.

We also have DLCs coming, 5 completely new characters are going to be added, we just need to wait a little longer.

We have a gigantic games coming in 1 month, a lot of franchises cant even dream of having this luxury.
I'm honestly surprised there aren't more death threats being flung at Sakurai. I'm GLAD, but surprised.

Untouch

Smash Master
The only thing that made me legit salty is the lack of demo.
C'mon Nintendo, some of us live in ****ty places with no means to get where they take the demos
I still think it's going to be revealed later down the line... just because of what Trinen said.
(He said they have plans to talk about the demo later on when plans are concrete)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Because Smash exploits the fans' fervent desires to get characters in to generate hype. If they Assist Trophy'd Isaac early on, then it wouldn't have spawned a bunch of discussions for months about whether or not he would be in, this keeping the game at the forefront of people's minds.
Okay, seems a little cynical to me.
1. They possibly weren't finished yet.
2. They possibly wanted to space out assist trophy reveals.
There's any number of reasons why they would choose to reveal things at different times.
Naturally.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So Squeak Squad, basically?
Piranha Plant has little tiny legs at the bottom of his pipe
Piranha Plants have had these legs for a while now.

Y'know, if you think about it, looking at all iterations of P. Plants, they really do have a lot of moveset potential. It's just that nobody ever thought to look for moveset potential in them, y'know, because they're Piranha Plants.

I'm excited though. P. Plant is one of my favorite Mario enemies. I didn't even realize I wanted it until now, but now that I know, I'm hyped!

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
This Direct was only disappointing because of the Grinch leak to me. Had we still been stuck with the Box Theory, I would have been very satisfied with it.

Ken and Incineroar look fun, as does World of Spirits. I actually don't mind Piranha Plant considering it's a bonus character of sorts. Still, I find the inclusion of Isaac, Spring Man, and Skull Kid as Assist Trophies utterly baffling, especially Isaac. If he had enough fan support to be included as an Assist, why not just wait until DLC? Same with Geno being shown as a player icon, though I guess he's not necessarily disconfirmed for DLC. I have no idea what they're going to do for DLC now -- that's exciting for some, but I like knowing what to expect.

The removal of trophies is also a huge replay value killer for me. What's the point of even playing Classic or All-Star now? Very odd decision.

Of course, I'm still really excited to play the game and it will likely be my GOTY (my most wanted did get in after all) but I would be lying if I said that I found all of the decisions shown off in this Direct sound.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So, if Galleom's back can we get Tabuu back?
I want Master Core, myself.

Anyway, I can still keep hope alive for XB2's Rex, right? Nothing in this final direct looks to say he probably wont happen as dlc. Hell, you can still even get an ARMS character.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
So Sakurai did say they had already planned dlc right??? Or am I crazy?

It really throws a wrench in dlc speculation because the assumption was any game that was too late (ARMS & Xenoblade) and new releasing games (Gen 8 & Three Houses). This however might not be the case....also no echoes so that throws out a lot of easy pickings for predictions.

Honestly outside of Bandana Dee I'm struggling to find any 1st Party characters....I hope it's not 4-5 3rd parties but I can absolutely see that.
The only 1st party ones I can see right now are Elma and Chorus Kids, especially if they'll be bundled with a corresponding stage.

Last edited:

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
Here are my predictions and hopes for DLC, because there's a gigantic chasm in between them. :p

Hopes:
1. Sora
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Joker
4. Agumon
5. Crash Bandicoot

Predictions:
1. Sora
2. Edelgard
3. Heihachi
4. Steve
5. Doom Guy

****, I hope there are seasons. :lol:
I'm looking at the fighters page on the Smash Ultimate website, and I noticed the way they set it up. If we count the 5 unknown DLC characters as well, there will be no blank spaces in any row. Notice how Piranha plant starts a new row of 3. Now add 2 to complete, leaving the remaining 3 to fill up the following row.

EDIT: Hit reply too early.

I was going to add that the CSS in the direct at 6:49 does not line up if we only get 5 DLC characters (there is only enough room for 3), leading me to believe there must be more DLC, as there would be a huge amount of empty space.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Having watched the Direct... honestly, I'd agree it was kind of a turd, though it has nothing to do with characters.

Spirits Mode is just a crapload of Event Matches, with World of Light being the same but with the occasional boss mixed in (Japanese Direct apparently confirmed there aren't even cutscenes in it-- despite the Direct's *********), All-Star Mode and Multi-Man Smash got gutted, and they tried to fix what wasn't inherently broken with Online (just add a couple more playlists/hoppers under For Fun and For Glory).

It's reductive in multiple areas with Spirits Mode and World of Light basically just being 100% padding. There's fewer side modes with less depth to them than Smash 4, the game faulted for having fewer side modes with less depth to them than Brawl.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Reminder that Ken looks better in Smash than in any Street Fighter game released.
You can't treat Alpha and Third Strike like that.
Being an icon for player tag pretty much means there in spirits mode. There reusing all these art assets for a reason. Doesnt mean anyone doesnt have chance tho
This exactly.
Just a reminder, being a spirit does not deconfirm a character.
Or being a name tag pic.
They just figured they could save time and add more content by grabbing official art and tossing it in the game, as opposed to having to import or create models for a vast amount of different trophies.

That's it. They're just trophies with actual in-game functionality.
With that said though, I am going to miss seeing all the 3D models that came with all the trophies.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
so how long do you guys think itll be after the dlc until someone makes a geno mod (if he doesnt get in as a fighter)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
HOLY **** WORLD OF LIGHT IS LITERALLY GREAT MAZE
NON LINEAR
SOMETHING WIPES OUT EVERYONE BUT KIRBY
YOU HAVE TO BEAT EVIL VERSIONS OF THE CAST
AND YOU EVEN HAVE GALLEOM BACK LMFAO SAKURAI YOU SON OF A ***** YOU MADE GREAT MAZE GOOD
Did he really though? And if it's at the cost of a proper story mode. Well then, I sob at the thought.

Untouch

Smash Master
Having watched the Direct... honestly, I'd agree it was kind of a turd, though it has nothing to do with characters.

Spirits Mode is just a crapload of Event Matches, with World of Light being the same but with the occasional boss mixed in (Japanese Direct apparently confirmed there aren't even cutscenes in it-- despite the Direct's *********), All-Star Mode and Multi-Man Smash got gutted, and they tried to fix what wasn't inherently broken with Online (just add a couple more playlists/hoppers under For Fun and For Glory).

It's reductive in multiple areas with Spirits Mode and World of Light basically just being 100% padding. There's fewer side modes with less depth to them than Smash 4, the game faulted for having fewer side modes with less depth to them than Brawl.
I don't think everything we didn't see is cut, the direct was pretty slapdash, there's already some stuff on the site that wasn't in the direct at all.

Sakura CCS

Smash Rookie
so does this mean we Weill only get 5 DLC characters or is their a chance for them to add more?
and I'm only saying 5 since thats how much would fill up a fighters pass

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wonder if Tabuu as a downloadable fighter can make an appearance.
Looks like he returned in Adventure/Spirit mode.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
i wouldn't be too terribly discouraged if anyone you wanted playable is a spirit. :ultmewtwo: and :ultlucas: were trophies in 4 before they were dlc. you could argue spirits have more of an effect on gameplay and therefore cannot be playable at the same time, but until proven otherwise i'd wager they're all still fair game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom