• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Thinking back, Piranha Plant is at the very least a more understandable inclusion than Wii Fit Trainer

I'm shocked people are more salty about PP than they were about WFT
If WFT had been the last character announced for Smash 4, they would have been pissed. Luckily for her, she was announced alongside Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, my DLC:

*Medusa
*Rayman
*Heihachi
*Banjo & Kazooie
*Generation 8 Pokemon

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think I realize why even though I love Mario series and love it getting another rep, I just.....what at the Piranha Plant.

It's because it feels so very Mario Kart. Not Smash. It feels like that WTF Mario Kart roster slot that gets in over someone who is just common sense.
Fans: "What the Pakkun?"
Note: "Pakkun" is Piranha Plant's Japanese name.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Okay fine. I give up. If you want to keep throwing praises at your leaker messiah, vergeben, then go ahead. He did get some things right, but he was still a jerk to the Smash community. And insulting people by calling them autistic is indefensible.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay fine. I give up. If you want to keep throwing praises at your leaker messiah, vergeben, then go ahead. He did get some things right, but he was still a jerk to the Smash community. And insulting people by calling them autistic is indefensible.
Character =/= Credibility

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
So now that the site isn't totally broken. How's everyone doing with the news?
I'm loving it, personally. Ken is okay, Incineroar was my most wanted newcomer (after I gave up hope on Tetra and Shantae), and Piranha Plant is a hilarious addition that I can't wait to play.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Thinking back, Piranha Plant is at the very least a more understandable inclusion than Wii Fit Trainer

I'm shocked people are more salty about PP than they were about WFT
WFT almost makes sense in a weird way. Like G&W or ROB, WFT represents an era of Nintendo that's important to them (the casual appeal of the Wii in her case). Sakurai is usually secretly genius with these picks. PP is... a Mario enemy. I think people should look past the characters they want and appreciate the creativity though. WFT made more sense in context, but PP looks more fun to play.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Welp, Spirits mode looks meh to me.
I don't actually mind the change to online given how often I went on Basic Brawl back in the day. Plus I can still do dubs with my bud.
Pirahna Plant is actually the most interesting fighter to me out of the 3 shown. Couldn't get into Ryu in Sm4sh so I doubt I'll enjoy Ken and I'm not a fan of Incineroar since he feels shoehorned in like Greninja, Roy, Corrin and Bayo from their debuts to Smash. PP is dumb as hell but it at least gave me a laugh. Oh! And years down the road when a new Smash game comes out, people are gonna be defending PP from those who want it cut cuz it's someone's favourite fighter :rolleyes:
I've said it before but I was happy with this game as soon as Wolf was confirmed. Isabelle, Ridley, Young Link, Pichu are all nice too and the mechanic changes are nice. Quite glad that the only popular character hype train I joined was Wolf's and he got confirmed early on.
Not gonna miss All Star since I already found Sm4sh's tedious, especially after DLC. Don't care for the other cut modes and features either like trophies, trophy rush, target blast/smash and stage builder.
Overall, feeling pretty good about the game and there's just over a month till it releases. Plus my bday is the day before it comes out so I get money to make up for my preorder of the game so I essentially get it for free!

D

Deleted member

You know, I just realized something in retrospect. The mural shows each fighter squaring off, or doing something in reference to another (like Pokemon trainer and the rest about to murder Wario and wario's 'Oh ****!' face'.

The 'banner leak' characters were just thrown in and never actually facing any other character; they were just on their own staring into the camera; they looked really out of place when you think about it since none of them were really participating like the others in that mural. Too little too late to point that out now, but so many other points against it were pointed out and ignored that it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Damn it.

I'm excited for the story mode, gameplay improvements, returning stages I like, and my old main Wolf coming back, but having zero new characters that I want or even remotely care about puts a huge damper on the game for me. One of the biggest parts of Smash Bros. is seeing characters from games you love joining the fight, but now I can't have that. The new characters look fun to play (which is great, since I hated how all the newcomers last time played), but they'll just be functions to me.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I'm happy to see that the community (or at least our community) is doing a pretty good job at overcoming any disappointment and relishing in the hype together!
And thus a new holiday classic is born.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
He's a spirit
Am I the only one who prefers Spirits instead of trophies? The way to unlock them through basically events sounds amazing and while I won't use the power much, the flavour associated with them makes them more appealing to me.
eh, they are gacha system in Smash Bros. I was already kind of annoyed by it in XC2

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I've been an avid supporter of Geno in Smash since the first one....but I never deluded myself into thinking he deserves to be in. I'd still love to see him as DLC, but if not, no loss.Hopefully his Mii Gunner costume is still in!

Piranha plant may become my new main. That **** is hilarious looking!

I'm super pumped about everything they announced...except the Online mode. I'm concerned that it's a step backwards from 4 (which was ****).

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
As it pertains to what Sakurai said about Rex: I'm quite confused. He said (wrote it verbatim) "We decided which characters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like XC2, which was announced after planning was started".

Does this imply the DLC sets were planned at the same time the roster was? Otherwise what's the point of saying that about Rex if you're gonna say immediately after (also verbatim) "We've yet to create any of the DLC and we haven't locked down any release dates, but we'll start working on them after we're finished with the main game". It's perplexing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
After thinking about it for a bit...

I'm a bit annoyed that they picked Piranha Plant as a generic Mario enemy over Hammer Bro. I play Hammer Bro all the time in Mario Party, so when I get on a board with all of the allies with :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultluigi::ultmario::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultyoshi:, it does start to look like a smash reuninon...or all Smash characters and an assist.

In other news - anyone get serious infinity war vibes from the end trailer? One - I wasn't expecting a voiced Zelda, still not sure if I like that. Two - Of course Kriby was the sole survivor...again. Give someone else (Link) a chance. Three - I assume someone's already made a mashup gif of Thano snapping and then all of the Nintendo characters disintegrating.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’d imagine people would b more receptive of pirahana plant if it weren’t a mario character. I’d imagine many people think “Seriosuly? Another Mario character?”.
I’d imagine I’m saying I’d imagine too much.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Literally after Sakurai said ''He's perfect fighter material." and all that and Geno still isn't in despite him adding the two of ther giant ommunity requests?

Yeah, we're not getting Geno ever. He must have been shot down by Square after all, which is just annoying.
Maybe he'll be a bonus sixth character after the 5 DLC release, but yeah it's looking like Sora will be prioritized over him. I'm not mad at that though. Sora deserves the inclusion just as much as anyone else. And you get Sora as your 2nd square rep 100% hands down.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
**** me I hope LOZ gets some kind of bone in DLC. For the third most relevant Nintendo series next to Pokemon and Mario it's ****ed up how shafted they've gotten with newcomers
If we count Toon Link as a natural extension of Young Link, here are some crazy facts.

• The Legend of Zelda has not received a newcomer since 2001.
  • In the time since LoZ's last newcomer, Fire Emblem has received 5, Pokemon 5, Mario 4, and Metroid 3.
  • In that same time, ten new Nintendo franchises have received characters, and ten characters were added that aren't even Nintendo franchises.
  • Before Ultimate, none of the LoZ characters had gotten a visual update since 2008. Skyward Sword released in 2011.
  • Sheik has now appeared in three more Smash games than actual Legend of Zelda games.
  • Only one of the six LoZ characters in Ultimate is not Link or Zelda.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
So now that the site isn't totally broken. How's everyone doing with the news?
Pretty disappointed and empty.

If the Grinch leak never happened, I might've been a little bit more okay with what we were presented with today.

But the fact that it was 40 minutes of mostly fluff modes that I don't care about and two characters I ultimately am not hyped for made it an astonishingly deflating experience. I feel for all the fans of all the newly deconfirmed characters. It was a massacre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom