• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
My personal take on this is that I'm trying not to get caught up in the increasingly confused messages the 'insiders' are putting out. Honestly, out of the 'Grinch gang', I'm just really rooting for the Chorus Kids to be playable and everyone else is just bonus.

At the end of it all, it's better to remember what you got instead of what you didn't get. If Kids don't make it, it's okay because after more than a decade of waiting, I can finally play as Ridley.

AAAH, AFTER 10,000 YEARS, I'M FREE! IT'S TIME TO CONQUER SMASH!

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I never totally dismissed the dante leak XD...

wait.... couldnt that ****ty dante blurry image been the image leak out in teh wild that ruffled some feathers? at this point he certainly fits te unexpected newcomer DX

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Whatever happened with that Dante leak that had some correct info? I'd honestly be kinda down for that
I don't think it ever got debunked (not sure though), but it'd be surprising as hell for Dante to just show up fighting Rathalos or whatever in the final direct

Shroob

Sup?
Ohoho, I'm not just talking about Smash me bucko.

He has a pretty big habit of running his mouth on other boards.
I understand that, but eh. I'm autistic myself, and "Autism" as an insult doesn't bother me, at all. I must just have really thick skin.

And the Smash babies point is still lulzy. Literally every other FGC calls us that because we're not a "Real fighting game".

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Not really, Verg isn't just a Smash leaker, he's a general leaker. He recently leaked the possibility of an MVC Infinite revival. If the guy is wrong about this he looses a **** ton of credibility (hell he's already been wrong about other games in the past, this is one of the few times that he's been batting 100)
What happens if he’s semi right and semi wrong? What if Issac is playable but the older Issac is an AT? I guess that just means he has a loose source, but a credible one

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
This is good advice. I've been a believer of the leak for a while, however over the last couple of days I've been trying to get back into the mindset that Ken/Incineroar are the only remaining characters to be revealed. I was perfectly happy with the roster the way it was before the Grinch leak as I got several newcomers I was really excited for (King K. Rool was my most wanted!) and my favorite cut characters returning. The Grinch leak came along and got my hopes up for several other characters that would be incredible but may or may not happen. I'm trying to get back to thinking "they may not happen".

The Grinch leak roster would be amazing if real, but I think a change of perspective is important. Expect nothing and you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get what you want rather than upset that things didn't go your way. I know I was starting to get pissed at the idea that Mach Rider (one of my most wanteds ever since I saw them in Melee), Chorus Kids (RH is one of my favorite series), Geno, and Banjo might not be in and I realized that I was getting pissed so I took a step back and re-evaluated things. The roster was incredible before the Grinch leak, it'll still be incredible after the Grinch leak. And maybe we get the Grinch 7 as DLC. I still have some hope that Chad Ganondorf will come through as the underdog and deliver us the new Forbidden Seven (Six, since Ken is probably a lock?), though.

Also hey, first post. Been a lurker for around a decade now. I mostly post over on the reddit. I used to be on gamefaqs but got tired of it eventually. The Grinch leak finally convinced me to sign up here
Hey, nice to see another Rhyhm Heaven fan! I pretty much agree with you here. I'm trying not to get disappointed. Also, welcome to the boards! We have fun here sometimes

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Oh good God, are we seriously at a point where the Dante leak could be real again. XD Basically worst-case scenario for me. XD

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I understand that, but eh. I'm autistic myself, and "Autism" as an insult doesn't bother me, at all. I must just have really thick skin.

And the Smash babies point is still lulzy. Literally every other FGC calls us that because we're not a "Real fighting game".
They’re right, too.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Not gonna lie.

Being able to meme that Smash has a "New Funky Mode" would be great.
and it "features Dante from the Devil May Cry series"

Literally the most memeable game in existance because Knuckles is here too

especially if you think of it as "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS Ultimate Edition, featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series and Knuckles, with a New Funky Mode"

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
A minor wish spoken into the storm, to be drowned out and forgotten.

Let Pac-Man open the gate for a Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness track or remix somewhere in that 900+ music catalog.

Can confirm that it stands tall among the great game OSTs.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Dante would be kind of a "huh, neat" 3rd party, but from what people are saying it's a little more unexpected than that. Dante has some precedence based on how other characters fight.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I was just thinking this same thing. Sora seems to fit the bill perfectly, especially with the musings about a 2nd SE rep and people claiming Sora is in outright
If it is Sora though then why did spawns waves source think he was a game awards dlc reveal?
Whatever happened with that Dante leak that had some correct info? I'd honestly be kinda down for that
Which one? That one with the dante saves lucina trailer and karate joe?

I might have a screencap of that still.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't like Verge - he can be a bit of a jerk and really needs to place a lid on that temperament of his sometimes - but that has nothing to do with his credibility. It's possible for jerks to be right sometimes, it just kind of stings a little bit when they are.

Disclaimer: Even if I don't like Verge, I still don't condone any harassment towards him. Two wrongs don't make a right and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure that if someone calls you a "baby", they intend to offend you.

Either that or their flirting, in which case sorry Vegieberger but you really aren't my type.
Yeah, but Verge always ends up having incorrect info mixed in (which I always assume is him just BSing when a proven leak of his gets popular)..so nothing he says can be taken as gospel by me..just look at his DragonBall FighterZ leaks..

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Everything is pretty much set in stone now. Verge has said it, therefore it is pretty much confirmed.

Your message is exactly the kind of levelheadedness I expect to deluge me and while I agree in theory, the pain of having my most wanted deconfirmed by ****ing Vergeben and ****ing Emily hurts so bad. And hence why I'm off of this place for now. They'll never get in, at least for many many years, if ever. Shadow in particular is so hurtful because he's my #1 favorite character of all time and makes SO. MUCH. GODDAMN. SENSE. Easily the most likely echo after Ken and HE can't make the cut?

I don't want to drown this place in my self pity where no one is going to care and I'll just come off as a giant crybaby. Ik I probably already do with my last post. Just let me suffer in peace ok? Sorry I bothered this place with my presence.

Ultimately this is a fantastic smash game and I won't boycott it or anything stupid like that, but HOLY HELL THIS HUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRTTTSSS.
Dont worry man I’m hurting right along with you. Shadow not being playable is going to hurt like hell :/ and it would REALLY make me question why Sakurai wait THIS long to show a Shadow AT. But it’s whatever I’m keeping my expectations low and looking forward to the single player mode...

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
There's been about a gajillion ballot polls - some with responses in the tens of thousands - hosted by various people over the years, and Isaac has always done well on them. We've got a pretty good sample size.
Are those magazine pools? IP filtered pools? Because online pools are not trustworthy in the slightest.

Inklings, Ridley and K rool are all chosen based on popularity. Inklings were a given, but were also deemed by fans to rank highly on the ballot.

K rool was deemed the ballot winner and Sakurai literally said that the ballot got K rool in.

Ridley is in due to fan demand over the years and likely the ballot again.

Dark Samus and Chorm are also cited as ballot picks. These two are known to have a good amount of votes.

So we are seeing the ballot heavily affect this game and it lines up with fan interpretations.
Yeah... that's what I said on my post. Everything aside from what was in Ultimate. We can't act like we know how well Isaac did because, well, we don't know.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Man I just remembered Snake is back in this game.

Back when he was playable last all I knew about Metal Gear was that it was a series a friend of mine liked and that Snake was fun to play. Now I've played every game in the series and it's one of my favorites. I know enough to find it funny that Smash Snake is so weird. Wild.
All I know about Metal Gear is the Metal Awesome cartoons.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I never totally dismissed the dante leak XD...

wait.... couldnt that ****ty dante blurry image been the image leak out in teh wild that ruffled some feathers? at this point he certainly fits te unexpected newcomer DX
IIRC that image was literally pulled from a Maximilian stream. So there ya go.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright, totally zen now.

-Insiders still have conflicting information, all are generally vague about everything
-Grinch leak is still not effectively debunked, everyone has shifted from further analyzing > panicking and focusing on insiders, literally no progress has been made since the Direct announcement and sudden massive flow of 'leaks' and insider talk.

Nothing is confirmed. No reason to trust any insiders at the moment, there's too many conflicting statements, too many inconsistencies, and not enough substantial proof other than "you'll see" and "trust me". Grinch leak is also up in the air as a result. 40 minutes is plenty of time for 5 uniques and 2 echoes, but we also don't know the other contents of the direct.

Can we all CALM DOWN? I know we're coming up very close to the final announcements for base game, but if we descend into chaos we're only giving insiders exactly what they want right now.(Otherwise they clearly would've given their info before the leak and direct.)

Another nice thing for the thread would be to stop shifting from one thing to another, disregarding the previous one and taking the new one as fact.

You're all playing right into the hands of chaos and only contributing to FURTHER descending into it.
The Smash community certainly is fickle when it comes to rumors/leaks and the like. Just a couple months ago people were posting every little 4chan rumor and were taking Verg's every post as gospel; heck there was someone making a database of rumors.

Other Thoughts:
1. The game was basically in the bug testing phase when it was first announced and shown off. It is very unlikely that there is another Gematsu situation with drastically outdated info. A 2~3 year development cycle and a character gets cut ~4 months before going gold doesn't make sense, especially for an experienced micromanager like Sakurai.
2. There were insiders during ESRB trying to do damage control and making up fake rumors to throw people off.
3. Don't expect insiders to know everything. They're attention seekers, not prophets.
4. Again, a rumor is only a leak if it can be proven. Debunking is a short term process.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What happens if he’s semi right and semi wrong? What if Issac is playable but the older Issac is an AT? I guess that just means he has a loose source, but a credible one
Eh, he'll be fine I guess? I mean he'd have an excuse for getting it slightly wrong. Keep in mind, that is a never before seen occurrence as far as I'm aware. We've never had versions of the same character be playable and AT so it's really just a shot int he dark.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The issue that I have with using "autism" as an insult is that it helps to spread negative stereotypes surrounding autism.

But didn't I hear something about Verge apologizing about using it as an insult, or was that just a rumor? If he really apologized, I'm totally willing to let it go.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Eh, he'll be fine I guess? I mean he'd have an excuse for getting it slightly wrong. Keep in mind, that is a never before seen occurrence as far as I'm aware. We've never had versions of the same character be playable and AT so it's really just a shot int he dark.
This entire game is unpredictable really. Who knows anymore. I don’t really trust anyone

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
The Young Isaac/Old Isaac mixup theory sounds like the definition of wishful thinking to me. If they were going to add an AT, it would be Felix or Matthew,.

D

Deleted member

What really stings for me is that smug journalists like Emily are going to come and be super smug about this, unaware that that'll just damage their image even more than it already is.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

You not personally taking offense to an insult does not mean it's not still a pretty low blow.

And I'm not quite sure you register "hate the smash babies" as being the statement of disdain he means it as.

They’re right, too.
"Resident ****poster hates community but can't stop posting in it, video at 11!"

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Oh gosh, I can't believe it but I am now believing the Dante leak. Ken, Incineroar and Dante. That's it. The leak that ruffled the feathers at a "different company" was Dante, and it was for Capcom.

This is now my firm prediction.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly? **** it, I'm calling the Toby and Dante leaks real right now.

Toby
-Rayman (surprising 3rd party fighter)
-Funky Kong
-Black Shadow

Dante Leak
- Dante
- Ken
- Incineroar

MASH EM TOGETHER AND THERE YOU HAVE IT

:/
I don't even want Dante or Rayman particularly but I can't sent that's a darn cool roster. I'm down.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Yeah, if you're worried, just take it easy. I'm sure this place will be back to some level of normalcy next week, at least.

Me, I got Dark Samus. I don't really have any more skin in the game. If she wasn't confirmed back in August, I'd probably be just as exhausted as most people here. But I got something for me, so I'm not too worried about what's to come.

But for those who are waiting on Geno, Isaac, etc., I can definitely sympathize with how stressful it might be. I've never seen chaos on this scale with all the information conflicting this much. With Dark Samus, it was just a few bits of simple evidence with no leaker or insider saying anything to confirm or deconfirm. But to have your favorite character be bounced around from not real to real to Assist Trophy to whatever, yeah, that sucks.

I've never had a character announcement that's made me personally excited and happy until Dark Samus (and to a lesser extent, Ridley). Every other character excited me because I knew it made other people happy, not because it made me happy. That still hasn't changed, so I'm hoping that this final Direct will give us at least some of these huge characters, and leave hope that the rest will come another day.
yknow what, even if geno doesnt get in, im happy that you got dark samus.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
The issue that I have with using "autism" as an insult is that it helps to spread negative stereotypes surrounding autism.

But didn't I hear something about Verge apologizing about using it as an insult, or was that just a rumor? If he really apologized, I'm totally willing to let it go.
I remember it, it was a kinda half-assed apology along ths lines of "please drop the issue guys well, but don't act that way and I won't call you it"

Shroob

Sup?
You not personally taking offense to an insult does not mean it's not still a pretty low blow.

And I'm not quite sure you register "hate the smash babies" as being the statement of disdain he means it as.

"Resident ****poster hates community but can't stop posting in it, video at 11!"
I mean, again, most other FGCs outright shun or hate us. Smash finding its footing in the wider FGC has always been an uphill struggle.

The "Hates us" part isn't shocking at all when most of the hardcore Street Fighter/Tekken/Etc playerbase already look down at us as a baby game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom