• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I’ma just say it

Dixie Kong is one fighters not on the Mural that are in. I still find it suspicious that Diddy has stopped using his tail for attacks. Plus with Jon specifically predicting Shadow being an echo but with Chaos Control and a Rocket Launcher, Dixie can fit right into that trend with the Bubble Gum Gun and the Pony Tail Helicopter

Really my final picks as echoes are Shadow, Ken, Dixie, Black Shadow, and maybe Black Knight. Isabelle not being an echo because of too much of a model difference makes it hard to believe Black Knight will be an echo.

Final predictions for Unique Roster are: Incineroar, Isaac, Chorus Kids, Excite Biker, Skull Kid, and Geno. I say Excite Biker because if its true that one of the characters on the leaked mural is an assist trophy, I think Mach Rider is likely to have replaced Excite Biker as one.

I’m a big maybe on Banjo. But if Banjo isn’t in the base game he’ll definitely be DLC.

Edit: Also, Dante is my bold ass prediction due to that DMC leak.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
She got many things right in the past, that's why so many people used to trust her. But yes, it's true that she also got some things wrong, especially in the last few years. For instance, before the Switch was revealed, she said a Mario Maker and Splatoon port would be in development, also she said Smash Bros NX/Switch would be an enhanced port, not a new game.
Oh I see so it’s a bit iffy with her. I better keep my expectations low then just in case >.>

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I'll be at Universal Thursday. I'll try to catch it still, but I will probably first go to the website and quickly see everything if I miss it

D

Deleted member

>Trailer starts
>We are in a black space
>Suddenly, something falls to the floor
>The camera points there
>Is a dollar
>Quick turn of the camera
>Money starts raining like crazy
>A figure falls down
>
KNACK COMES TO SMACK BAYBEE

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Holy crap, can we just get this in Smash please?

Tee and Jun together? And that SANDOPOLIS REMIX

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, is the Grinch Leak alive still?
It's not dead, but it's important that we temper our expectations so that we aren't ultimately underwhelmed when all of our dreams don't come true. There's evidence against the Grinch, but it's also the most convincing "leak" to date. So anyone can choose to believe it, but I really do think it's important we don't get too hung up on it and set that as the bar.

Praise be to our Lord, The Box, for he has set our expectations at a reasonable level. Amen.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I see. Thanks you. Also I thought there was a debate about Emily not being that reliable?
She's gotten a few things wrong in the past, most infamously Mother 3 coming to the west, but she's been very reliable as of late. I'd take her words quite seriously, in retrospect it's extremely obvious she's had insider information on games like Ultimate and Let's Go as she sprinkled her posts with subtle hints about them prior to their reveals.

For the record I also like how she goes about things, I think her and Spawn Wave are good examples of how insiders should act in a situation like this.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You singled out insiders, it's freaking there on your post. I do agree their word shouldn't be taken as holy and definitive, but it's also important to remind that these people DO have connections, be they wrong, fake or not.

Also you brushed everyone aside and had a general condescending attitude this whole time, but I can see that being just you getting very heated in discussion... like right now. Perhaps calm down a bit then.

...... I seriously can't even start with you man. I literally said in my first sentence that we have ourselves to blame if its fake lmao. Reading comprehension please.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nah. In the spawn cast he clearly says it's fake for reasons, he says Incineroar because it's public knowledge but also because there is characters missing and wrong.
And the way he's iffy about Banjo is suspicious.
I heard him on the SpawnCast, he entertained the possibility even if he didn't think it was serious. And again, if that's his reasons, his assumptions that the banner is the full roster can be flawed (was trying to look up the archive for the last 10 minutes to confirm, but can't find it).

We'll all known in two days, regardless, and then this madness will end*.

*lol it never ends

D

Deleted member

Man, I just realized the last two directs were each 25mins long. This one is nearly TWICE as long!!

Direct 1 had:
-Everyone is Here segment - 5 mins
-Changes to Vets - 10 mins
-Echo Fighters and Daisy reveal - 1 min
-Inkling moveset details - 1.5 mins
-Assist Trophies & Items - 1 min
-Stages and Stage details - 2 mins
-New Mechanics - 1.5 mins
-GCN mote and Amiibo Support - 1 min
-Ridley Trailer - 1.5 mins

3 characters showcased + a bunch of other info in 25mins

Direct 2 had:
-Simon + Richter trailer - 3 mins
-Castlevania content details - 3.5mins
-Chrom and Dark Samus Echo Fighters reveal - 2.5mins
-Stages All stages revealed + new features - 4.5 mins
-Music - 2.5mins
-Rules, new modes, CSS, Training mode, Tourney mode, and more - 3.5mins
-Items, ATs, Pokeballs - 4.5mins
-Menu Screen and Spirits teaser - 1min
-K.Rool Trailer - 2mins

5 characters showcased + a bunch more info in 25 mins

Direct 3 had:
-Isabelle reveal - 3 mins

This direct is 40 MINUTES!!! Holy ****!!!

Shadow and Ken will be getting like 2 mins of it dedicated to them, and then Spirits mode and all the other content can't possibly take more than 20 mins total. This is also the final direct, so all signs point to us getting a ****ton of characters. Most character trailers only take 2 mins each as well. So for 5 characters, that's 10 mins of the 40 min direct. All signs point to yes for the leak!!
I'm sure a very large portion of this direct, no matter how many characters are revealed, will be about the 'Spirits' mode (or whatever its actual name is) + the other modes/features we know little-to-nothing about.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
trailer starts
camera blinks open
it's in the back of a cart in the mountains
"So, you're finally awake"

Todd Howard confirmed

radBoss

Smash Cadet
>for a full year
Well I have never heard of this guy but I'm going to judge by that addition he doesn't have a spotless track record in the past. And regardless there's always going to be a first. Also if he's "iffy" on stuff that's a red flag for how much they really know
I mean, to be fair, Spawn Wave (the channel) really didn't become relevant until this year. It's still pretty new all things considering, just having passed the 100k mark earlier this year.

Edit: Clarification.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Wait, why isn't Yoshi included in the solo character franchises?
:ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultrob:-???
:ultfalcon:- Black Shadow
:ultcloud:- Seperoith
:ultinkling:- Octolings
:ultlittlemac:- Glass Joe, he's the new Pichu
:ultmegaman:- Dr. Willy
:ultolimar:- Louie, only because Alph is a costume
:ultsnake:- Raiden
:ultsonic:- Tails
:ultwario:- Mona
:ultyoshi:- Baby Mario Bros

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I heard him on the SpawnCast, he entertained the possibility even if he didn't think it was serious. And again, if that's his reasons, his assumptions that the banner is the full roster can be flawed (was trying to look up the archive for the last 10 minutes to confirm, but can't find it).

We'll all known in two days, regardless, and then this madness will end*.

*lol it never ends
Well, Now you have his video about the smash direct where he clearly say it got Characters wrong and Missing , what a timing

i actually hope Banjo and Isaac are in

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If Dante, Shadow, and Incineroar are in the game, I’m creating Team Edgelords with them for Squad Strike

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not going to try and predict characters and timestamps, but I know one thing for sure: We'll leave the direct shocked.

Also, festive icon for incoming info dump.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Wait, why isn't Yoshi included in the solo character franchises?
:ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultrob:-???
:ultfalcon:- Black Shadow
:ultcloud:- Seperoith
:ultinkling:- Octolings
:ultlittlemac:- Glass Joe, he's the new Pichu
:ultmegaman:- Dr. Willy
:ultolimar:- Louie, only because Alph is a costume
:ultsnake:- Raiden
:ultsonic:- Tails
:ultwario:- Mona
:ultyoshi:- Baby Mario Bros
I didn't realise I had forgot him until it was too late :( But for what it's worth, to round mine off:

Hey guys, I wanna do my own...

:ultbayonetta: - Jeanne
:ultfalcon: - Samurai Goroh
:ultcloud: - Fang
:ultduckhunt: (Arguably "Lightgun", if it is impossible to pick another) - Mr Stevenson (from Gumshoe!)
:ulticeclimbers: - Polar Bear
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultlittlemac: - King Hippo
:ultmegaman: - Protoman
:ultgnw: - Mario Bros (G&W) (Play as a duo character, like Ice Climbers)
:ultolimar: - Brittany
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:ultrob: - Professor Hector
:ultshulk: - KOS-MOS (she counts fight me)
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultsonic: - Shadow
:ultwario: - Ashley
:ultyoshi: - Kamek

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Honestly, if the Grinch Leak is fake, I won't really be upset, at long as we get at least one more female rep. Only having three (arguably four) female characters just doesn't seem like very much. I understand that this game presented through the male gaze (with primarily a male audience in mind), but if we have like 12 male characters and only 3 or 4 female characters I'm gonna...probably do absolutely nothing. But I mean, Smash 4 had (I think) seven female characters (either fully female or dual-gendered). So can we get, like, maybe just one or two more female/dual-gendered characters? That's not asking for too much, is it?

Last edited:

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Oh, and there used to be a time when announcing DLC prior to the game's release was considered taboo.

Now no one cares for some reason. I guess the sheer inertia has made protest futile, so, better just embrace it?
You're very wrong in thinking that no one cares, as this is often something games are criticized on. There is however a difference between announcing DLC during the middle of your development cycle (making it clear this could be a part of the base game, especially in the case of day 1 DLC) and doing it the Smash style, which is at most planning the DLC before the development cycle is finished. I don't know if it's confirmed or not, but many have said the game has gone gold already. Developing DLC at this time is, in my opinion, perfectly fine.

I saw your previous post and I agree that there should be a discussion in regards to price, but the concept of DLC in itself is fine (again, in my opinion). You may argue it's content that should be in the base game, but that isn't how game development works. DLC, or at least ethical DLC, is content developed after the game has been completed that is meant to add to it. The game in itself is a finished product, and the DLC adds on to it. It isn't a matter of simply delaying the game to include the DLC in base either. Games need to be finished and game devs are endless pools of ideas who would never let them be finished. Like artists, if left to their own devices, no game would ever be complete because they are never a hundred percent satisfied with what they have done. It's the artistic condition. DLC allows game devs to add more to a game that was already complete..

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well, Now you have his video about the smash direct where he clearly say it got Characters wrong and Missing , what a timing

Time to make up a bunch of **** about him because he said something we don't like

D

Deleted member

Man, I just realized the last two directs were each 25mins long. This one is nearly TWICE as long!!

Direct 1 had:
-Everyone is Here segment - 5 mins
-Changes to Vets - 10 mins
-Echo Fighters and Daisy reveal - 1 min
-Inkling moveset details - 1.5 mins
-Assist Trophies & Items - 1 min
-Stages and Stage details - 2 mins
-New Mechanics - 1.5 mins
-GCN mote and Amiibo Support - 1 min
-Ridley Trailer - 1.5 mins

3 characters showcased + a bunch of other info in 25mins

Direct 2 had:
-Simon + Richter trailer - 3 mins
-Castlevania content details - 3.5mins
-Chrom and Dark Samus Echo Fighters reveal - 2.5mins
-Stages All stages revealed + new features - 4.5 mins
-Music - 2.5mins
-Rules, new modes, CSS, Training mode, Tourney mode, and more - 3.5mins
-Items, ATs, Pokeballs - 4.5mins
-Menu Screen and Spirits teaser - 1min
-K.Rool Trailer - 2mins

5 characters showcased + a bunch more info in 25 mins

Direct 3 had:
-Isabelle reveal - 3 mins

This direct is 40 MINUTES!!! Holy ****!!!

Shadow and Ken will be getting like 2 mins of it dedicated to them, and then Spirits mode and all the other content can't possibly take more than 20 mins total. This is also the final direct, so all signs point to us getting a ****ton of characters. Most character trailers only take 2 mins each as well. So for 5 characters, that's 10 mins of the 40 min direct. All signs point to yes for the leak!!
Following this up, content that remains to be covered:

-Stages - Just 5 left, and they're likely tied to the characters. This is no time spent on them at all.
-More ATs, Pokeballs, and Items - Given the track record, this'll be like 3 mins tops.
-Event Matches, Stadium Mode, Target test etc... - 3ish mins here too
-Spirits mode - 6 mins tops
-Online Modes - 3 mins tops
-Any new modes to show - 2 mins
-Balance changes and such since E3 - 1.5 mins
-Echo Fighters - 2 mins
-Sakurai Final Goodbye and such - 2 mins
That totals 22.5 mins. Leaving 17 more for characters only.

-10 mins on 5 character trailers.
-7 mins for character details on 2 MAJOR characters (like the Castlevania content stuff or the Inkling detailing) they'd likely be Geno and Isaac. detailing movesets, game content like ATs, Stages, Music, etc...
Banjo gets the final trailer. Like Ridley and K.Rool did.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
How about all the instances where they're right?
You can't just cherry pick stuff that isn't confirmed or turned out incorrect to suit your hilariously false narrative.

This is a really bad argument. The entire point of an insider is the idea that they're supposed to be 'in the know' so when they say something it can be assumed true. Without that assumption, they're literally no higher than educated speculation.

Pointing out that they've been wrong several times demonstrates that they're not a reliable source of information. They might know something and it's worth keeping in mind, or this might be another one of those times that they're wrong. It's far more flawed of reasoning to say "yeah but they got this this and that correct so we should trust them" than to point out that their track record is far from clear of mistakes.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

That's again the same exact assumption, so while I definitely think Spawn Wave is someone to follow, more so than many of the other insiders, based on what he said we can't be sure. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. It's always been my motto, and continues to serve me well.

Me too *crosses fingers*

D

Deleted member

I'm sure a very large portion of this direct, no matter how many characters are revealed, will be about the 'Spirits' mode (or whatever its actual name is) + the other modes/features we know little-to-nothing about.
See my latest post. Spirits mode isn't getting more than 6 mins. There's only so much you can talk about. And 6 mins is REALLY pushing it for Spirits. Nothing in the past directs got that much time spent on them.

SirMouse

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirMouse
Hiyas, largely inactive user here that has been fairly addicted to lurking in this thread since the Grinch leak, and I just wanted to add my two cents as to how I feel this whole debacle will end.

Basically, at this point I don’t see any possibility other than one of the following two outcomes:

1) The leak was faked, but got a few characters correct.

2) Both the insiders and the leak are correct.

And you know what? Either way, I will be VERY curious regarding - and hope we get - the details in the case of either outcome.

In the case of the leak being fake, I will be very curious as to how many of the “coincidences” tied to it were planned out, and how many were due to dumb luck.

In the case of the leak being real, I’m fully convinced the insiders are also “correct” in whatever they’re so confident of, and will be curious as to WHAT they knew and WHY they were so sure the leak was bogus.

My hope? I want everyone to be right. I want the leak to be real and for this whole “insiders vehemently against the leak’s validity” thing to be nothing more than an attempt to temper expectations and maximize hype when the entirety of the leak AND the surprises insiders know about turn out to be true.

I want us all to me hyped to the max, with no room for finger-pointing or “told ya so!”s, because ALL of us somehow ended up on the “I was right” side of things.

And I want Mystic to not be out of a job, regardless of the outcome, because that’s a huge shame that will be tied to how this all ends if he indeed lost his livelihood in the midst of this mess.

Basically, I want the best outcome possible for all of this, and you know what’s the craziest part about that? That it’s even a possibility.

Here’s to hoping.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, out of the series that don't have multiple representatives (counting :ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters: as a wii series, and not counting :ultryu: because Ken is p much inevitable):
:ultbayonetta:
:ultfalcon:
:ultcloud:
:ultduckhunt: (Arguably "Lightgun", if it is impossible to pick another)
:ulticeclimbers:
:ultinkling:
:ultlittlemac:
:ultmegaman:
:ultgnw:
:ultolimar:
:ultpacman:
:ultrob:
:ultshulk:
:ultsnake:
:ultsonic:
:ultwario:
Who would you add for each?
Not counting disconfirmed characters here (sorry Fiora and Captain Toad :c ) :
F-Zero - Black Shadow
Xenoblade - Elma and Rex
Splatoon - Octoling
Final Fantasy - Terra
Zelda - Skull Kid and Impa
Kirby - Bandana Waddle Dee
Punch-Out - Disco Kid get outta here with that Glass Joe garbage
Sonic - Shadow

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's not dead, but it's important that we temper our expectations so that we aren't ultimately underwhelmed when all of our dreams don't come true. There's evidence against the Grinch, but it's also the most convincing "leak" to date. So anyone can choose to believe it, but I really do think it's important we don't get too hung up on it and set that as the bar.

Praise be to our Lord, The Box, for he has set our expectations at a reasonable level. Amen.
Amen.

But do you know what's better than both the Grinch and the Box combined?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
This is the Direct I've been waiting for. I absolutely want to see the Modes and how they work before I buy the game, as I'm not completely sold even if the core gameplay already feels smooth.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Would or should mach Rider have a yakuza tattoo of herself on her back or a Motorcycle tramp stamp?(Or lower back tattoo that is a raunchy term I apologize)

Also she sleeps in a nightie with a helmet on, while mounting her bed bike. (A bike mounted in her bedroom...)

The lore must grow...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Following this up, content that remains to be covered:

-Stages - Just 5 left, and they're likely tied to the characters. This is no time spent on them at all.
-More ATs, Pokeballs, and Items - Given the track record, this'll be like 3 mins tops.
-Event Matches, Stadium Mode, Target test etc... - 3ish mins here too
-Spirits mode - 6 mins tops
-Online Modes - 3 mins tops
-Any new modes to show - 2 mins
-Balance changes and such since E3 - 1.5 mins
-Echo Fighters - 2 mins
-Sakurai Final Goodbye and such - 2 mins
That totals 22.5 mins. Leaving 17 more for characters only.

-10 mins on 5 character trailers.
-7 mins for character details on 2 MAJOR characters (like the Castlevania content stuff or the Inkling detailing) they'd likely be Geno and Isaac. detailing movesets, game content like ATs, Stages, Music, etc...
Banjo gets the final trailer. Like Ridley and K.Rool did.
Not gonna nitpick on every one of these, but why do you think online modes will be three minutes tops?

I really hope we get more information about it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom