• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I devote myself everyday to our lord and savior Masahiro Sakurai, and this thread rewards my efforts with...whatever this is. Come on.

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
I devote myself everyday to our lord and savior Masahiro Sakurai, and this thread rewards my efforts with butt vore. What is this.
Steve from Minecraft getting vacuumed into the Grinch’s anus while the Grinch is dabbing.

I can post the video if you want :^)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Reposting this from the Isaac thread:

So, I've been thinking about the Grinch leak for a while, and I'd like to break down and analyze some of it.

First, though, I would like to cut down on some of the flaws of the pro-Grinch argument:

We don't know that this is true. There is, as yet, no confirmation that this company contracts with either Bandai-Namco or Universal Studios, let alone both. While the company he worked for a year ago did contract with Bandai-Namco, the one he currently works for may or may not. Also, this argument fails to consider that Bandai-Namco would not be handling publicity, Nintendo would, since they are the publisher.

Now, as we get to the rest of it, we need to approach the leak logically. Following Occam's Razor, let's simplify things as much as possible. What must be faked in order to pull of this leak?

The answer is actually ridiculously simple. The only thing that needs to be faked is the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate material. Everything else can be genuine. The leak could actually have been created by someone who works for a publicity company and makes these sorts of promotional materials. The material for The Grinch could all be genuine, as could his work history with the company. As the meme says "anyone can make a fake leak". Even a publicist. There does not need to be any identity theft or identity fraud for this to be faked. Not even the Snapchat aspect of it was necessarily faked. It could have been something that he sent a friend via Snapchat, never meaning for it to go further and his name to be revealed (though that would mean all of this was created to fool one or two people, which does seem rather farfetched).

The only things that needed to be faked were the actual Super Smash Bros. Ultimate materials. So, let's look at them for a second.

View attachment 172859

This is the image that has received the most attention, specifically the multi panel image in the middle. This image, apparently depicting a version of the Battlefield background used in the Mural but with the characters removed, has been reviewed in detail by a number of artists and digital arts enthusiasts, most notably ArtsyOmni, whose video on the subject can be found here.

I, however, am not an enthusiast or expert in digital art manipulation, nor of artistic techniques or analysis. So I will leave that to those who are.

Instead, I will focus on other, less analyzed aspects of the leaked materials, which I do have experience with.

Beneath the "LOL" emoji is what appears to be a set of display instructions for a circular hanging display. The display would contain the mural, wrapped into a circle (taking advantage of the fact that the mural's edges merge seamlessly), and suspended from four lines that converge at a single hanging point. This makes it clear that this is a display to be hung from the ceiling, and that the mural image would go on the outside of it.

Now, here is where things get interesting. It has been pointed out by some that the Mural image on this hanging display is not properly scaled, and that the mural would not fit on the display as shown. Whomever has made such an argument is an individual whom I can only assume has never had to set up a retail display, or at least, never actually looked at the instructions for doing so. Because, as someone who has set up dozens, and reviewed the instructions for probably hundreds over the course of seven years work in retail, I can assure you that the instructions for those displays are NEVER properly scaled. Or properly clipped. Or properly angled. Or properly sized. Or properly representative of the space you actually HAVE on a display to put the items they're telling you will fit there. Or-

Ahem. Apologies. Anyway, the point is, the instruction pages that come with display materials are designed to show you how to assemble them, how to display them, and what to put where. They are never artistically accurate. Literally, NEVER. The only ones I have seen which are accurate in terms of visuals are ones which are simply pictures taken of already assembled displays (which are inferior for the purposes of showing how to assemble such displays to the simple line drawings with cutouts).

The reasoning for the art being off is actually very simple: It's nothing but a placeholder, and it's only purpose is to convey to you what side should face out, or to help confirm which piece you're looking for. Frequently (though not always), if the item being displayed is a book, magazine, or game (anything with a definitive "front") the picture will be skipped entirely, and instead replaced with a simple display of the title in block text. The images which do show up are usually minimal effort. Low quality images, taken from a camera, badly shoved into place, and then clipped to fit the block lines. Sometimes they will be perspective shifted to match the angle of the display. Sometimes not. Sometimes they'll be perspective shifted to NOT match at all (which can be really infuriating to see from someone with mild OCD about clean displays).

Scrolling down, we then see the three panel display. It has been said that these are for a light box display, and that would explain the low quality and color shifting of the art. I do not disagree or argue the point that a light box display would need to be altered in such a way. From personal experience, it would, though I cannot say what the result would be. However, I would argue that the image in question is simply too small to be used effectively for such a purpose. The light box displays I've worked with in the past are frequently quite large, and this one is roughly the size of a single sheet of paper for a three panel display. No. In actuality, this is another page of display instructions. While it is probably display instructions for such a light box, its purpose is merely to highlight which panel goes in which part of the display, to assure that the panels are in order and properly displayed.

And before you ask, the answer is yes. Such instructions do indeed assume that you are a moron who cannot tell which parts of a continuous display image go where just from looking at them.

Below that, we have further block diagrams, including some empty boxes which could be filled with instructions, more photos, or information specific to a particular store or outlet as this material is distributed.

So this entire image is actually a picture of display instructions for promotional material, rather than promotional material itself.
View attachment 172860

This image, on the other hand, which I have yet to see be artistically analyzed at all, is itself promotional material.

It's a packaged display of a circular item. It has been assumed to be a wristband. While that is possible, I'd actually assume that it is the circular hanging display alluded to in the previous instructions. Edited for correction: I agree it is likely a wristband, both due to the size and the taper at the end, which I had not noted before. You can also see a faint outline of those same hanging instructions in this image, above the banner, that looks as though it's being shown through a blank sheet of paper.

This material also looks incredibly professionally produced, containing packaging and what looks to be card stock or other similar high quality materials.

So, after reviewing these images, the only conclusion I can come to is that this is 100% genuine. Artistic anomalies in the instructions are expected. In fact, I would be honestly shocked if they were not there. This gentleman's role in the company is likely either review of materials, or assembly of the instructions themselves. The images used were likely taken by a worker at this company, on a low quality camera, and jumbled and edited into place to fit the lines and serve their bare purpose of being a placeholder (they were almost assuredly NOT provided by Nintendo). Any artistic analysis of those pieces is utterly irrelevant to the validity of the leak.
All of this discussion of butt vore, and I completely missed this post. Excellent analysis! My one curiosity is if this is used as a placeholder, why would it have unrevealed characters on it? Also if not provided by Nintendo, by whom?

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
No, it was screencap of someone's window.
still at page 6430 , and then i saw this...
i was very close of doing this...
1f58d9a7d04628cff39f9df64623fcbf.jpg

and im still suspicious....(whoever s pc screen is this seriously report this person)

anyhow im suspicious on gamexplain ignoring this leak....
Im now on the team real.

i might loose power from this darn nor'easter cyclone hitting me right now....

andres22

Smash Cadet
I do not understand how the people here generalize to the smash fanbase, literally most of the harrassment of the insiders comes from /v/
Hell, even right now there is a thread about gamexplain and his damn discord in /v/

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I do not understand how the people here generalize to the smash fanbase, literally most of the harrassment of the insiders comes from /v/
Hell, even right now there is a thread about gamexplain and his damn discord in /v/
It's what happens when like you get several different franchises into one massive crossover, you have fans from all of their respective fandoms clashing, it can lead to either good discussion or poor depending on who talks to who, and what is said to who.

Kind of tricky ground in general sadly. From my own personal experiences.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Briefly leaving lurker mode to say: friendly reminder, this thread is now 1000 pages past where it was prior to the leak, and over the course of 5 days.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
All of this discussion of butt vore, and I completely missed this post. Excellent analysis! My one curiosity is if this is used as a placeholder, why would it have unrevealed characters on it? Also if not provided by Nintendo, by whom?
Not provided by anyone.

The way it works is this: The actual promotional material is all there. The light box screens, the wristbands, the sign displays, etcetera. All of the art for that was provided by Nintendo. That material DOES have the unrevealed characters on it, because it is to be used for final distribution.

Someone then took a picture of these pieces and used it to create the instructions. So it is a photo of promotional material that was never intended to be even close to professional quality, merely to serve as a placeholder. There is thus likey to be a Lightbox display of the Battlefield background, but we do not have a picture of what that display will look like. Merely a picture of a picture of that, taken under circumstances that mean it’s not professional quality.

Since it is not intended for distribution, or to serve as actual promotional material, Nintendo would not have provided it. Nor would they care about the quality of it.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For ****s and giggles on November 7th, I want Sakurai to just post The Final Countdown as music.

It won't be in the game, but let the man have some fun and give us a warm hearted giggle.

Snifit

Smash Cadet
I'm someone who gets addicted to these boards roughly every 5 years when a new Smash game reaches it's pre-release hype intensity. Been here since I was a wee lad during the the pre Melee days.

I'm #teamHMMMM with an extremely strong desire for it to be real. Been longing for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash for over 20 years.

Just a few thoughts...

1. Something is definitely up with Gamexplain. I've followed them since their inception and their behavior (or rather non behavior) as of late is perplexing.

2. At the same time it's kinda bizarre that the folks over at IGN, some of whom have 20+ years in game journalism, are speaking freely about the leak and even stating their belief in Its authenticity.

3. Finding it extremely frustrating that none of the very certain insiders can't name names beyond Incineroar. You'd think at least one of them could throw us a bone.

4. Very curious as to who the PapaGenos middle-man source is. The one we would all allegedly believeif we knew their identity. My concern is this source may not be who he claims to be, but I I'm sure PG would verified this...right?...right?

5. This has been by far the most fun I've ever had on this website.

6. When the truth is eventually uncovered, it's gonna be armageddon. I can't wait to watch it all unfold.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's racist.
Also, I guess unrealistic?

Could a progressive free spirit fall in love with a mercenary?

Find out a 9.

Also, I kinda like the 'square' design of Banjo in Nuts and Bolts.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also, I guess unrealistic?

Could a progressive free spirit fall in love with a mercenary?

Find out a 9.

Also, I kinda like the 'square' design of Banjo in Nuts and Bolts.
She can't be THAT much of a free spirit.

She's cooped up in someone else's backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom