• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You know what I’ll make a huge spoiler about things that make the Grinch leak seem too fake
1. Lack of any Social Media silencing
The funniest thing about the leak is that the sponser of the Tailgate event, Wendy’s, has joked about it publicly on their twitter account (which was also reported on). There was also the sprout item (though I have no ideal what consensus we have on that) which we can still very clearly see on the promo video from the Nintendo social media.

2. Choir Kids and Banjo
I think that out of every character, Choir Kids and Banjo seem the most iffy to me. I really don’t see Choir kids getting in, because out of the scrapped characters and even the Gematsu Leak, they are still the least popular. I’ve heard people put more faith in Hehatchi and Takamaru than them...

Also I’d think Banjo would be super complicated to get in... I’ve posted about it before... but I do think that there’s no way that a huge company like Microsoft would let a valuable IP be used in a game they know they can’t really get any money from. I really don’t see them doing this for the sake of doing it... If they had sold Banjo’s rights, then I could see this happening... but as it stands, this isn’t likely.

3. Image and Set Up
The scarce amount of images we are given seems too odd for me. Plus the choice of pictures as well. Don’t make me add the fact that they also posted an empty background, kinda makes me think that they wanted to have a rub it in your face proof against naysayers. This being the choice picture amongst many seems too odd for me. Like why even choose that one as your second photo?

There’s also the fact that the overhang has an obvious cut from where it’s supposed to loop around. It seems pretty sloppy for something that’s supposed to be professional marketing material.

There’s also the fact that these seem to be plans, rather than overhangs, mostly due to the scale... I don’t get why the blurry photo and the lack of pictures then. Those implies that this guy may have an office job designing these kinds of things. If he was working down at the printing section, we could have seen larger and clearer banners. Yet we get a crappy blurry image... Also, wouldn’t he have just uploaded the files to his friends through like... a flash drive? That would make sense given how these plans could relate to something like that.

This does sound like crazy talk, but think about it. This does seem like more of a thing that a faker would do. Espically since the Grinch renders don’t quite cut it for us. They were seen in ads before this leak. So I’m sure that this was a professionally made leak that tried to hide somethings off of it.

5. The response
This one is the one that I think most people forget... Nintendo has ignored every big leak like this. They honestly do not care if things are right or wrong. Unless if it’s serious, they do not change things. Mario + Rabbids was a big example. The whole game was revealed MONTHS before E3. Nintendo brushed it off like it was nothing and carried on. I know it contradicts one of the things that I’ve said earlier... but then again... Wendy’s has this thing pinned down for beyond the launch date. They’ll likely know of some things... just... some...

6. Insiders
Honestly I think we should give up on trusting them. Insiders think this, Insiders think that. Nobody really knows or cares at all. So just forget about all of them. Really, please do. This is the most personal out of all of them but... they really aren’t Nintendo and they probably know little to nothing... seeing how Verge got so much wrong and how everybody is so silent except for this one little leak

Anyways that’s it...

D

Deleted member

I've posted this before, but even if the leak is real, it wouldn't do much to contain people's minds when they see Banjo, Geno and Isaac all in one Direct.
Expect the internet to explode regardless.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also I get it insiders are being attacked but if they offered any small bit of proof besides “no Incenroar es fake” people would be more level headed.
They... can't.

That risks the source getting hurt.

What more do you want exactly?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I feel like tensions are high right now, so I thought we as a family could decompress with a tradition since the beginning of time: true art.
(Also, you should probably turn your volume down before listening to... this)
https://twitter.com/_AsaGi16_/status/1055383498792419328

Do I get it?

Not really.

Do I need to get it?

No, because I can feel it speaking to the very human condition I am a part of.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
You stop that
The final battle is too raw for the human eye to comprehend, but I figured it was better than 2 people yelling at each other, a tab with illegal things, and discussions about politics. Idk I may be off base but the quality here has gone down hill in the last day the more we enter stalemate.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
your virtue signalling is making ME feel embarrassed.
even if virtue signaling wasn't just a buzzword for internet weirdos who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, how would that even count as a virtue signal?

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Actually shadow as a sonic echo would deconfirm it too.

And whatever happens if the grinch leak is real or not enjoy smash anyway we may get all of those characters as dlc
what?
i thought we were all operating on the logic that shadow and ken would be the last echoes. why would shadow being a sonic echo deconfirm the leak?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've posted this before, but even if the leak is real, it wouldn't do much to contain people's minds when they see Banjo, Geno and Isaac all in one Direct.
Expect the internet to explode regardless.
Basically, Nintendo need do nothing. There's nothing to worry about.

Even if we already know who's in, it doesn't change the fact that actually seeing those characters in action is 100x better than a blurry snapchat video screenshot.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
And they still don't mind publishing Western-made games in Japan nor using Western designs.

I don't see a problem here...I doubt they care that much about a playable character in Smash being from a Western game...

And they didn't care that Ridley was heavily requested by only Western people; if they were so prideful about it, wouldn't they ignore the West?
It's just odd that there hasn't been a whole lot of western owned content in Smash given what Smash has/ is becoming. Like it's literally Shovel Knight and Rayman trophies. Yeah language is barrier, business practices probably vary too. But idk... It's interesting that there isn't more western content.. And the content that does exist has extenuating circumstances surrounding it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't know what's worst.

The horrible representation of our community during the Smash 4 Evo?

Or the horrible representation of our community during the **** fest that is this leak season on twitter and social media?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
even if virtue signaling wasn't just a buzzword for internet weirdos who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, how would that even count as a virtue signal?
Funniest thing, is that if he thinks that Shroob was virtue signalling, then he admits that he did something worth rallying against.

That's the funny part.

KMDP

Smash Legend
They... can't.

That risks the source getting hurt.

What more do you want exactly?
Also, for the journalists, if they say any more than they have, then Nintendo might (probably would) cut their journalistic ties with them.

It's a Catch-22.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
1. Lack of any Social Media silencing
The funniest thing about the leak is that the sponser of the Tailgate event, Wendy’s, has joked about it publicly on their twitter account (which was also reported on). There was also the sprout item (though I have no ideal what consensus we have on that) which we can still very clearly see on the promo video from the Nintendo social media.

5. The response
This one is the one that I think most people forget... Nintendo has ignored every big leak like this. They honestly do not care if things are right or wrong. Unless if it’s serious, they do not change things. Mario + Rabbids was a big example. The whole game was revealed MONTHS before E3. Nintendo brushed it off like it was nothing and carried on. I know it contradicts one of the things that I’ve said earlier... but then again... Wendy’s has this thing pinned down for beyond the launch date. They’ll likely know of some things... just... some...
I absolutely promise you that the Wendy's social media team knows literally 0 secret information about Smash Bros. Their comments were very early in the leak's lifecycle, and even if they weren't I doubt Nintendo's first thought was "****, content leaked, go silence the Wendy's social media team". After those initial comments they have not, as far as I am aware, brought up the topic anymore. Not saying that supports anything as I wouldn't expect the Wendy's twitter to dwell on Smash Bros leaks, but them being told to knock it off by Nintendo and then dropping it is pretty much the reaction I'd expect in the situation that the leak was real.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't really choose a side in regards to this leak.

I "WANT" it to be true soo badly to the point that I'm willing to kill off Incineroar ala Mufasa, but there's something telling me(Sense) to "Wait and see" before I get excited.

That and I don't even own a Switch.

kylexv

Smash Master
Team Real: The leak is real! Just look at all the evidence!
Team Fake: The leak is fake! Just look at all the evidence!
Team Hmm: Hmm....

Nintendo:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Basically, Nintendo need do nothing. There's nothing to worry about.

Even if we already know who's in, it doesn't change the fact that actually seeing those characters in action is 100x better than a blurry snapchat video screenshot.
Or the fact that Banjo-Kazooie is revived in some way.

People across the board - including myself - just have come to the conclusion that Banjo-Kazooie is a dead franchise. No leak will contain the internet and public's insanity to see the bear and bird back. Out of all the characters that might have their surprises ruined, Banjo isn't affected at all.

Ryu's franchise is well fine, and so was Pac-Man in a way. People think Banjo is dead. To see him and the bird come back? People are gonna cry and have hope again.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
This forum needs a swift change of pace.

Either way the leak settles, the fallout will be apocalyptic. Leak is fake? 100,000+ fans riot. Leak is real? Internet ceases to function.
Thanks for permanently scarring my psyche Das.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I feel like tensions are high right now, so I thought we as a family could decompress with a tradition since the beginning of time: true art.
(Also, you should probably turn your volume down before listening to... this)
https://twitter.com/_AsaGi16_/status/1055383498792419328

Do I get it?

Not really.

Do I need to get it?

No, because I can feel it speaking to the very human condition I am a part of.
One of the best things to come out of Smash Ultimate Speculation right here.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I can't really choose a side in regards to this leak.

I "WANT" it to be true soo badly to the point that I'm willing to kill off Incineroar ala Mufasa, but there's something telling me(Sense) to "Wait and see" before I get excited.

That and I don't even own a Switch.
Are you planning on buying one or do you just like the speculation drama?

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Did something happen today related to the Grinch Leak?
nope. spawn wave had a podcast but it didn't really contribute anything. insiders are still being bullied, and everyone is waiting for a direct announcement to drop next week at the earliest.
maybe even tomorrow if the last direct is any indication.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
This forum needs a swift change of pace.

Either way the leak settles, the fallout will be apocalyptic. Leak is fake? 100,000+ fans riot. Leak is real? Internet ceases to function.

What in the **** is that IMAGE.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Did something happen today related to the Grinch Leak?
Not really. Just Insiders and people with Insiders calling it fake due to lack of Incineroar. Other than that, nothing new. I believe Incineroar was moved from base to DLC and that explains his absence on the banner.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just find it funny that Smash is really bad at not leaking stuff through their commercials and advertisements.

For Brawl, we got Lucario, Ness and Jigglypuff leaked in a Japanese commercial.

For Smash 4, we got Ganondorf leaked in a Japanese commercial.

And for Ultimate, we get a potential Golden Sun item leaked in a commercial.

It's funny.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Spawn Wave on his podcast seems like he doesn’t seem sure that any of those three are in the game, especially Isaac who he said he hopes gets in. Mach Rider being a maybe was total speculation from me tho.
Thank you. So is Mach Rider just an unknown variable to everyone?

gloop898

Smash Cadet

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It's just odd that there hasn't been a whole lot of western owned content in Smash given what Smash has/ is becoming. Like it's literally Shovel Knight and Rayman trophies. Yeah language is barrier, business practices probably vary too. But idk... It's interesting that there isn't more western content.. And the content that does exist has extenuating circumstances surrounding it.
"I just don't get why there aren't more Western franchises in this super-crossover of characters owned by a Japanese company that brings in major 3rd parties, which most historically are also Japanese."

It's pretty hard to deny that most icons of gaming, especially older ones, come from Japan.

The language in some of your posts feels particularly sensationalist. It's not very flattering.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are you planning on buying one or do you just like the speculation drama?
Seriously dude? Be considerate of potential circumstances.

Actually, just be considerate in general. This is an internet forum for a video game, there's no reason to be a jerk.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I don't know what's worst.

The horrible representation of our community during the Smash 4 Evo?

Or the horrible representation of our community during the **** fest that is this leak season on twitter and social media?
EVO felt worse because there really wasn't any comedy to be had. Things have only just started to get really tense the more people get mad at insiders; beyond that, this was largely civil until recently, and otherwise very meme-y. Looking at /v/, people are ironically posting in some sort of bizarre Steve/Grinch war.

EVO was "half the crowd hates it, the players are being disrespectful, the gameplay is worse because of how they're acting, so the crowd is worse, and the online reactions are universally negative."

EVO was a really bad time for Smash 4 comp that won't be immortalized, I don't think. Grinch Leak? 100% immortalized as either ESRB 2.0 or the anti-ESRB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom