• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yet it's a needed warning because people legitimately get angry in real life at these things.

Like, you and I can afford to hype irresponsibly every now and again because we understand that we're at risk of disappointment. Most people don't know that, so when they hype irresponsibly and get disappointed, they point their anger outwards at the closest target. In this case, it's Crashboards Smashboards. I'd prefer to have these forums free of unwarranted complaining and I'd prefer for Sakurai and the development team to not get sent hate and death threats because of a fake leak.

You know it'll happen if this one is fake.
It's already happened to a certain degree--from both sides. And it's kinda sickening. Nobody's entitled to characters or what Sakurai does with the game--however, we are entitled for something, and that's what we do with our wallets.

By hyping irresponsibly, because I know my biases and limitations--I should be happy. But, it's been kind of a downer reading what's been happening, in this thread and others. I think that's important to note--outside of that, it's also been the most fun I've had on here as well. I think the leak is likely--I feel like those saying it's easy to photoshop, should probably do it themselves if they want to prove a point. Closest was the one where they moved Daisy--but they also had to move Greninja because *shock* they couldn't reproduce hidden elements of their design. This is leagues different than that.

Because as it stands now, there's just too many intricacies, and the leak itself is so elaborate, that the simplest explanation (as Artsy Omni said) is that it's real. Doesn't mean it's real, but there hasn't been nearly enough evidence to be even remotely convincing. Only thing that's convincing is alternatives, which are possible (e.g., graphic designer decided to make a fake leak and risk his job that way instead of the real deal), but I don't see evidence as being likely at this point. So, likely, but not definitive. And my usually motto--prepare for the worst, hope for the best. And the best may be better than I ever could have hoped for previously.

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
As far as what you got blatantly wrong, Bandai Namco is actually a major part of the development of Smash, and those aren't armbands, they're full circular panoramas meant for ceiling and/or pillar displays.
Okay

As far as what you got blatantly wrong, Bandai Namco is actually a major part of the development of Smash, and those aren't armbands, they're full circular panoramas meant for ceiling and/or pillar displays.
Okay. I had no idea what it was. I for sure got that wrong. And they are helping develop it in a large way. But again why would they market it. Sorry I really had no idea what they were for.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You know what also makes me think that this leak is fake?
The fact that in the banner, the blank battlefield picture is stretched.
Not just that, it's stretched and also put near the one with all the characters, that's not stretched, so you can see the difference between the two pictures and notice the fact that it's stretched even more.
What company uses stretched pictures for promotional material? Maybe some companies do and I don't know it, but honestly I think that stretching a picture is equivalent of bad graphic design, and it's a very amateurish error, not something that professionals would do.

Honestly, I thought it was fake since the first instant I have seen it and I never changed my mind... with more details being noticed (such as the background thing) I only convinced more that it's fake.
The stretched picture and boring graphic desing, the background not matching, the character choices (except a couple of picks, they are the usual common characters who appear in many text leaks).

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You know, looking at some of the chaos earlier, I'll probably be less disappointed now with whatever happens. I'll probably be sad especially since I feel like one of the few rare Phosphora supporters that exist, and an uncommon MonHun supporter as well (same with Medusa). Should none happen, I'm at least gonna be satisfied with Pit, who got buffed pretty well, and Bowser looking fun again.

Not sure how I feel about Palu atm but I worry she may be worse. Even if she is, I still got Pit, who can actually KO now (thank you Pit for being the big one to soothe my soul in this game so far). With only a few weeks left, I'm prepared for most of what will happen.
Meanwhile, I wonder if Master/Crazy Hand will get new crazy moves this time around, and wondering what the new FD theme will sound like.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Vaan's analysis gave me some hope this might be fake, but I'm still basically a nervous dude just waiting for a doctor to call and give me the results. This is the first time I've felt this type of uncertainty in regards to a Smash leak. I don't like it.
But why would you hope this leak is fake? It's the best case scenario for most people.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Attention, all Super Smash Bros gamers!
Sakurai's in trouble, and he needs your help
to defeat the Grinch and stop the roster leaks.
All he needs is your credit card number, the expiration month and year, and the three numbers on the back.
But hurry! The Grinch is about to leak the entire roster, and Sakurai needs your help!

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
hype as much as you want. enjoy the experience. cherish the experience.

even if this all ends up being for naught, don't cry because it's over: smile because it happened
Honestly I’m just glad it finally gave us something to talk about

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Okay

Okay. I had no idea what it was. I for sure got that wrong. And they are helping develop it in a large way. But again why would they market it. Sorry I really had no idea what they were for.
No worries.

I really do need to apologize, I get hostile when people don't have facts straight. It's a personal thing, my biggest peeve is the spread of misinformation, whether it be intentional or unintentional.

As mentioned by somebody else here, Bamco is the co-developer with Sora Ltd., putting them in high degree of control. Additionally, with how much Nintendo is likely already spending on the game, it makes sense to give the marketing job to somebody Bamco already works with.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All he needs is your credit card number, the expiration month and year, and the three numbers on the back.
But hurry! The Grinch is about to leak the entire roster, and Sakurai needs your help!
Oh, ****! Don't worry, Sakurai, I got ya!

*furiously starts to leak critical personal information on the World Wide Web*

D

Deleted member

Let people think what they wanna think. I see no need to force people into thinking one thing or another on something as silly as a video game rumor.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Let people think what they wanna think. I see no need to force people into thinking one thing or another on something as silly as a video game rumor.
We're discussing a leak though, which is what we do in... a leak discussion thread, no?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
So... is that pale blur by Diddy Kong supposed to be KOS-MOS, or what?

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Brook's playstyle would be all about the mindgames, but he doesn't have a brain anymore.
:skull: jk
45 degrees!
Found in the Shantae thread. Wanna see thoughts

It seems odd to me that someone who so meticulously made a fake leak, and is clearly so proficient with Photoshop screwed up so bad. If it were a couple of pixels that we found, maybe, but a whole island? Nah. He's not making a mistake like that, and he's not lazily moving Mii Sword Fighter. It's probably just a change in design, for whatever reason.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
But why would you hope this leak is fake? It's the best case scenario for most people.
Mostly because it's a leak, a bit because the two characters I'm most hoping for aren't in it. I don't have a problem with what's included, just the circumstances of how it became known if true.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Actually, now that DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon is here, what is your take on a reveal at The Game Awards, and it possibly being Sora to kick DLC off for Smash Ultimate?
Is it possible? Definitely. And it makes some sense too.

Nintendo has had an increasing presence at the VGAs in recent years. Last year they announced Bayonetta 3 and the Champion's Ballad DLC if I recall correctly, and the year before that they showed off Breath of the Wild. A major reveal of some sort isn't out of question. The VGAs take place December 6th, exactly one day before Smash Ultimate releases.

:thonk:

A reveal at the VGAs has to be big, and not Ridley meme big, but an actually large reveal. So, it has to be a third party because at this point Nintendo has exhausted all of their true internet-destroying characters with Ridley and K. Rool.

What is a massive game coming out shortly after the VGAs and Smash Ultimate?

Kingdom Hearts 3, one of the most anticipated video games since it's announcement over five years ago.

Sora as a cross-promotion for both games would be a massive reveal. Start it like a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer, but then BAM it's a Smash Bros. trailer and he's in the game. You get him for free if you purchase the also announced Kingdom Hearts 3 port for Nintendo Switch. Either that or he's Day 1 DLC and is free for those who purchased a Nintendo Online membership.

That, my friends, is how you generate hype.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Okay

Who knows what their exact role is. What's important is that their is a strong connection between the leaker, Bandai, and Nintendo. None of us have any clue on how exactly the companies interact.

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
People having freedom to think how they want? Not on my internet!!
Some will be happy with what we get and others will always want more. It's the nature of the beast and you can't please everyone. It's really as simple as that. We will all enjoy Smash come December I'm sure :)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
While Vergeban + Box Theory did exaggerate the issue, both Steve and Incineroar had notable hatebases even before Vergeban opened his mouth. Incineroar had a negative stigma due to being another fire brawler that got carried over from the Pokémon fanbase, and when that mixed in with moveset speculation that caused a lot of Smash fans to see him as redundant and thus boring and unappealing. As for Steve, he has the negative stigma from being associated with Minecraft, which has a notable group that despises it along with his design not being appealing. The situation around those characters has always been vitriolic and it always sucked to see a conversation about them devolve into insults just because people couldn't stand seeing a character they didn't like get in.

Also, you're acting just as bad as you're accusing Vergeban of if your first thought for Incineroar/Steve not getting in isn't sympathy for the fans who had to put up with a lot of crap, but to also throw insults and plan to run someone off the internet.
Don't act as if you know whether or not I empathize with their fans. My brother is a big Incin supporter. I'm merely explaining why so many people have pitchforks ready for Vergeben and are willing to scapegoat Incineroar for it. I don't personally want to do this, but Vergeben's obnoxious attitude, attention-seeking behavior, and overall immaturity about his "holier than thou" status means that I'm ready to stop hearing about him and put him behind us. How we achieve that end is neither here nor there. Incineroar just unfairly gets the blame.

And yes haters for these characters has existed prior. But I'm inclined to believe that people don't mind them as much as what comes across. They're just associated with Vergeben, unfortunately. I don't want users like @GoldenYuiitusin to think we all hatemonger him and his character. I really, truly hope he makes it in. But a part of me also knows Vergeben will try to spin everything in his favor if he does and just say "my sources just didn't know about the rest". Call it a petty battle, but he's ripped the community in half and done so with a big ol' grin. The part of everyone that enjoys a just universe wants him to lose. Not Incineroar. Not his loyal fans. Not Steve. Just Vergeben.

Now if the dude had been professional and friendly all along, I bet no one would feel this way.

Last edited:

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
You literally said, "last I checked, Nintendo is making the game" but Bandai is the head developer as well as Sora Ltd. We have no idea what other roles they have, but it's clearly substantial.
But that is still assuming that they specifically gave Bandai Namco marketing instead of as you mention Sora Ltd. or themselves. Maybe Bandai Namco is handling marketing and I'm wrong on most of it, but we don't know it for sure.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Has anyone figured out what's up with Pichu's face yet? Some sort of...maybe a logo is covering it...? I mean, nothing should be covering a character's face in promotional material, but maybe this is something unrelated in real life on top of the picture? But it seems to maybe have little words around it so?? Uh, left is what we have now, right is what was in the snapchat, and middle is "enhanced"...just yeah, any idea...? Maybe yall already discussed this, I must have missed it cause I haven't seen any ideas around this...
whats on pichus face.png

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I like papagenos papagenos a lot, but isn't it possible someone is lying to him to try to ruin his credibility? Shame on them if they are.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is it possible? Definitely, and it makes sense too.

A reveal at the VGAs has to be big, and not Ridley meme big, but an actually large reveal. So, it has to be a third party because at this point Nintendo has exhausted all of their true internet-destroying characters with Ridley and K. Rool.

Kingdom Hearts 3, one of the most anticipated video games since it's announcement over five years ago.

Sora as a cross-promotion for both games would be a massive reveal. Start it like a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer, but then BAM it's a Smash Bros. trailer and he's in the game. You get him for free if you purchase the also announced Kingdom Hearts 3 port for Nintendo Switch. Either that or he's Day 1 DLC and is free for those who purchased a Nintendo Online membership.

But, Pony, imagine. Out of nowhere. Doom Slayer steps out of the shadows. Loads his Super shotgun...
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more hype for that over Sora.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Has there been a lot of talk about Bowser Jr's official Mural image matching the leak, but not the E3 image?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
What if Vergeben is the new Gematsu and Incineroar and Minecraft stuff only appears in Smash 6 ? :idea:

----------------------------------------------------
Also, it's funny that the "codenames leak" got a lot too.
It said about K.Rool and Dixie (looks like she was considered).
Simon and Isabelle (both in the game)
Mech (looks like Ray 01 was considered)
Rhytmin (Chous Kids)
Doll (Geno)
Prime Ribs (D. Samus)
Currently lacking Folklore, Archer and Old Man.
If Heihachi be announced in DLC days, we need to not forget this one.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
But that is still assuming that they specifically gave Bandai Namco marketing instead of as you mention Sora Ltd. or themselves. Maybe Bandai Namco is handling marketing and I'm wrong on most of it, but we don't know it for sure.
Yeah we have no idea, so I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I like papagenos papagenos a lot, but isn't it possible someone is lying to him to try to ruin his credibility? Shame on them if they are.
If we're being real, why would you go after papagenos of all people? He's only really known in the circle of Smash speculation, even if he has grown as a result of it. If you were doing something like this to ruin someone's credibility, you'd go for a bigger channel that has more recognition outside of a section of the Smash community.
Or there's a person who just really has it out for the papa. Who knows.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
My pipe dream is still Crono. If we got Crono, oh man, the world would end.

After that it's probably Master Chief, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat (played MKX for the 1st time really ever a few months ago and love that game to death), Goku (based on DBFZ) and Sephiroth (as a semi-clone of Cloud) in the "pipe dream" category.

My non-pipedreams are still Dixie Kong, Isaac from Golden Sun, Big Boss as an alt character or Echo Fighter, really any Capcom character (Phoenix Wright or Dante namely), Banjo, and any of the Mishima clan from Tekken.

Probably real but I'm not too worried either way. Either way we are probably getting at least ~5 out of these 7 characters playable by the end of DLC.

And if it's real, Incineroar fans shouldn't be worried. DLC is still a thing, and we're getting a new Pokémon from Gen 7 one way or another. You're still good.
Yeah pretty much like you, I am here for the wild ride, characters left to add: Dixie Kong, Paper Mario and maybe Toad.

From the Pokemon department, I will prefer Decidueye.

.n_n.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I'm of the opinion that this is real. Not because I want the characters. And not because I doubt Sakurai's comments on lower fighter count. Rather I think that it's real because it's got these tiny discrepancies. The ESRB leak had Game and Watch seemingly cutting into the next row. And Wario's eye was missing. People called the select sloppy, and the menu's too. Yet every single thing about it turned out true, explained away by a crappy photo. I'm in the same camp here. I think that it looking so bad add's to it's legitimacy. Almost as though the leak itself were basically an accident. The clouds thing in the background falls under that, and it's suffice to say that battlefield probably changed to fit in more characters. Really the more I sit here and try to debunk this, the more I end up believing it.

As for Incinroar not being there? He was a leak bait character. That's why he's not here. He duped many of the people lower on the spectrum like Vergeben, like Gamexplain, as they got their info from people who were being fed fake info. That ken image however, was probably straight up real.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But, Pony, imagine. Out of nowhere. Doom Slayer steps out of the shadows. Loads his Super shotgun...
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more hype for that over Sora.
There's the statement right there, "I would" instead of general internet hype.

I will concede that Doom Guy is on a similar tier to Sora in terms of internet-busting potential. My only thing is that support for Doom Guy or a Bethesda rep in general is new, compared to Sora who's been requested since Brawl and who 99.9% had an amazing Ballot turnout.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

That, my friends, is how you get @FirestormNeos to debate getting the switch version of KH3 instead of the PS4 version like they originally planned.
FTFY

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Counting the random slot after supposedly Banjo. Each row would have 9 characters each.

Mario - Donkey Kong - Link - Samus - Dark Samus - Yoshi - Kirby - Fox - Pikachu
Luigi - Ness - Captain Falcon - Jigglypuff - Peach - Daisy - Bowser - Ice Climbers - Sheik
Zelda - Dr. Mario - Pichu - Falco - Marth - Lucina - Young Link - Ganondorf - Mewtwo
Roy - Chrom - Mr. Game & Watch - Meta Knight - Pit - Dark Pit - Zero Suit Samus - Wario - Snake
Ike - Pokemon Trainer - Diddy Kong - Lucas - Sonic - Shadow - King Dedede - Olimar - Lucario
R.O.B. - Toon Link - Wolf - Villager - Mega Man - Wii Fit Trainer - Rosalina & Luma - Little Mac - Greninja
Mii FIGHTER - Palutena - Pac-Man - Robin - Shulk - Bowser Jr. - Duck Hunt - Ryu - Ken
Cloud - Corrin - Bayonetta - Inkling - Ridley - Simon - Richter - King K. Rool - Isabelle
Incineroar - Mach Rider - Chorus Kids - Isaac - Geno - Banjo-Kazooie - Random Slot

Maybe the bottom though might have a smaller row however...
Why not just use emoji things?

D

Deleted member

God I'd ****ing wish we have The Story So Far just come to the Switch Square please stop being dumb for once I wanna give Kingdom Hearts a fair shot

I'd say to save a lot of face, it might be for Sakurai's best interest to announce him like the Mewtwo reveal and mention that he'll be coming soon and will be the one character to start things off right. Games like Soul Calibur and Blazblue got one hell of a beating with the whole DLC shenanigans.

...But I just can't shake the feeling off that You-Know-Who might've been hinting this for such a while, and we don't even know. He knows things we don't sometimes from weeks to months.

Normally I NEVER near-accept any of this, but... When you have a 9-0 streak currently of being an info broker, The Game Awards is really gonna be something. Like, we're talking about Undertaker VS. Shawn Michaels "Streak VS. Career" levels of insane.

Instead? Spawn's Streak VS. Sakurai's Surprise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because I'm still bored.

Super Mario Bros.::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:Geno
Donkey Kong::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
The Legend of Zelda::ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
Metroid::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley:
Yoshi::ultyoshi:
Kirby::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
StarFox::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Pokemon::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:Incineroar
EarthBound::ultness::ultlucas:
F-Zero::ultfalcon:
Ice Climber::ulticeclimbers:
Fire Emblem::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
Game & Watch::ultgnw:
Kid Icarus::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
WarioWare::ultwario:
Metal Gear Solid::ultsnake:
Sonic the Hedgehog::ultsonic:Shadow
Pikmin::ultolimar:
R.O.B.::ultrob:
Animal Crossing::ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Mega Man::ultmegaman:
Wii Fit::ultwiifittrainer:
Punch-Out!!::ultlittlemac:
Mii::ultmiifighters: