• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Is that why you were quoting me?

I only pointed out that SSB64 being the only game to have an even numbered roster isn't true. That's all my input was for. All Smash games until Ultimate counted transformation characters as seperate.

PT being counted as one in Ultimate is werid, since they weren't in Brawl. Only thing I can think of as to why is that they're the only transformation character now and so will operate as one character choice for Smashdown and Squad Strike.
PT is most likely counted as one because they're a composite character,

The reason I call that other count "the CSS Count" is because it perfectly denotes the number of characters that will be available for individual selection on the CSS.

It's not really that strange at all that they'd be counted as one character, because they are one character. It's just that they're one character that's made of 3 characters.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Sakurai: Don't expect many new challengers
Sakurai: We'll reveal every character before launch
Sakurai: Ok me wee lads we might've gotten a little overboard with revealing newcomer trailers, we're gonna slow stuff down

This leak: November 8th will reveal seven newcomers which doubles the newcomer roster in one day.

Honestly, I'm on Team Fake because of that. Even though the paintwork looks amazing, I can't believe this to be the final roster.
You are naive, but
New characters / Echoes

if this is real, we have Dark Samus, Daisy, Ken, Shadow and Chrom as Echoes
They are not exactly "new"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Theres no way they would have 7 more unique movesets before launch btw
Ken and Shadow are echoes.

Which, granted, is still 5 unique movesets. The August Direct, which gave us 5 characters, only had 2 uniques. Seems too good to be true.

Shroob

Sup?
That's really the one thing that makes me raise an eyebrow.

We don't have full renders of the character banner artwork, nor do we have one for a background with no one on it.

If it's fake, they had to make a looooooooot of new ****.

Very doable, but I don't even want to think about the amount of time that would take to more or less redraw soo many renders to look like the same artstyle as they originally were.

D

Deleted member

The main issue I have is that it's blurry as hell... if someone was trying to leak they would take individual pics instead of a blurry af vid... honestly it feels like the blurs are masking errors in the artwork

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think a strong argument that needs to be considered for "it takes a lot of skill or access to assets to shift characters around seamlessly" is that this is a blurry as heck image. That is going to cover up a ton of imperfections, especially small ones around the edges of characters.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
A lot of that would have had to be redone, especially the background which was shown off without any characters on it. Possible, but it's way better than most leaks of this type. And for that picture, nobody's been rearranged as far as I can see--they just looked plopped in like most of the other banner leaks.
Daisy was moved over to Pichu in this, actually.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm on this team. Team Hmm, Indeed.

The thing that's more belivable about this however is that this isn't simply just plopping people in.

It's moving multiple renders around that are already preset to accommodate for the new ones, etc. It's not hard at all to add a new render to a pre-existing image. It's a lot harder to do what this has done without all the marketing materials present to do it.

And as far as I'm aware, no one has broken down the artwork of the newcomers on this artwork to make so someone could make this huge fake mock up, so that'd be even more extra work.

If fake? It does have a lot of work and time put into it.
Is it really that hard to do? I mean, I took a photoshop class in school and you learn how to select singular objects in pictures in the 101 class to move them

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How come you guys have all the fun when I'm asleep.
The roster "leaked?"

Everything.

Possible banner leak--small and blurry, but clean leak. Characters moved around like it has previously. Characters are Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, Geno, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow and Ken. The person is purported to be a graphic designer for a French print company with ties to Bandai Namco from an uncovered LinkedIn account, matches a profanity laden text leak from Sept. Major grains of salt, but omfg if true.
You know, what sucks to me is that the "roster" makes sense and doesn't contradict me at all.
So I want to believe it, but i'd imagine it's not the hardest thing to fake with a little elbow grease.

The main issue I have is that it's blurry as hell... if someone was trying to leak they would take individual pics instead of a blurry af vid... honestly it feels like the blurs are masking errors in the artwork
I'd take blurry video if I was trying to leak because it would make the eggheads discard it really easily. *shrug*
Then only a few people would attach to it and get to go "told ya so" when the game came out.

Much better than blatantly ousting myself with a "totally real" looking leak , and much more fun.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Attempting to be speak outside the context of just this image:

Upon reflection no Pokemon is in abstract a little less implausible given the return of Pokemon Trainer and Pichu, to say nothing of the 13 new Pokemon + Scizor. Pokemon, like The Legend of Zelda, is getting no shortage of attention in this game even without a new character being taken into account.

Edit: To be clear, I do think a Pokemon character is likely, even before taking anything Verge said into account.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You are naive, but
New characters / Echoes

if this is real, we have Dark Samus, Daisy, Ken, Shadow and Chrom as Echoes
They are not exactly "new"
But even then there's currently five new, unique, newcomers revealed, right?
Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Isabelle

This leak says that in approximately one month, another five new newcomers will be revealed along with Echoes, possibly in one Direct.

I find that unrealistic if not outright impossible when combined with Sakurai's statements.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is it really that hard to do? I mean, I took a photoshop class in school and you learn how to select singular objects in pictures in the 101 class to move them
It's not the hardest thing in the world, but it's a LOT harder for someone who has no time or patience and is just look to make a quick 15 minute of fame image. You'd have to make sure to clip out each person perfectly, adjust them perfectly, etc, etc.

That's why so many fake leaks that look fantastic have a tell tell flaw. Granted this one is super small so you can't tell if there are any there, but so far from inspection it matches up a real quality level of attention to make it look as authentic as possible to how Sakurai and his team might move people around in an event like this one.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman

Upon reflection no Pokemon is in abstract a little less implausible given the return of Pokemon Trainer and Pichu, to say nothing of the 13 new Pokemon + Scizor. Pokemon, like The Legend of Zelda, is getting no shortage of attention in this game even without a new character being taken into account.
This was always my thought and why I've been pretty against the idea of Incineroar from the start. It's not like Pokemon fans are going to be up in arms at the lack of a new character, so use that effort to implement somebody from a new series or some kind of fan favorite.

Graizen

Smash Champion
But even then there's currently five new, unique, newcomers revealed, right?
Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Isabelle

This leak says that in approximately one month, another five new newcomers will be revealed along with Echoes, possibly in one Direct.

I find that unrealistic if not outright impossible when combined with Sakurai's statements.
Impossible?
You are joking right?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Are you joking?
It's a fair point. That's basically revealing as many newcomers between now and launch (a period of just over a month) as what was done between the teaser/reveal in March and now.

Impossible? No. Likely? Heck no.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I found this image randomly. A guy posted it, and someone found it on Discord. Apparently, EITHER the LEAK is REAL, or THE FAKER went through a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Daisy was moved over to Pichu in this, actually.
Yeah, it was very hard to spot, whereas in this one so many characters were rearranged (and they all made sense and were proportionate, another contrast)--and for that one, Daisy/Greninja were moved together, making it easier. Still, it shows it's possible, which we already knew--it's the amount that was rearranged, added to everything else, that gives me pause, and the little details that pop out.

Still team skeptical but open minded (and in my heart going pls pls be real).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Edit: To be clear, I do think a Pokemon character is likely, even before taking anything Verge said into account.
There being no Pokemon would align with one of my predictions, so *shrug*

That said (and not talking about the quote anymore), I'm not entirely sure about this one, fellas.
But also: Saying "There's definitely not gonna be _______ before release" either means you're psychic or you're "offended" by this "leak" in some way to the point where you're defensive about it for some reason.
I think we all know Sakurai does what he wants whether or not you're "absolutely certain" of something.

"air quotes"

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Just woke up. That banner leak is making me nervous. Not only would that mean Incineroar is not in, that means no Pokemon is in, meaning Incineroar fans and Lycanroc fans are both not getting what they want.

I’m selfish I guess. I see Geno, which is awesome, but I really want Incineroar guys...

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
  • Inklings
  • Ridley
  • Simon Belmont
  • King K. Rool
  • Isabelle
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Geno
  • Isaac
  • Chorus Kids
  • Mach Rider
  • Daisy
  • Richter Belmont
  • Chrom
  • Dark Samus
  • Ken
  • Shadow
  • Ice Climbers
  • Pichu
  • Young Link
  • Snake
  • Squirtle
  • Ivysaur
  • Wolf

Shroob

Sup?
I found this image randomly. A guy posted it, and someone found it on Discord. Apparently, EITHER the LEAK is REAL, or THE FAKER went through a lot of trouble.
I think this is more or less what vaanrose was saying earlier.

Of all things, why the hell would you go through the effort of faking GRINCH promotional material?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
its easy to see why people wouldn't believe this

We live in a timeline where shadow, richter, cloud, isablle, and banjo can throw hands

even im in disbelief

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one who don't know is you
Bruh we literally know that characters are cut bc they would take too much time. It can take upwards of a month. This could be real, but EVERYONE IS HERE so they've had a lot more on their plate amd cant add 13 newcomers like in Smash 4

Shroob

Sup?
Bruh we literally know that characters are cut bc they would take too much time. It can take upwards of a month. This could be real, but EVERYONE IS HERE so they've had a lot more on their plate amd cant add 13 newcomers like in Smash 4
Technically it's only 10(11?)

Echoes take a fraction of the work.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Not impossible as in "Physically undoable and the universe is gonna implode if Sakurai adds Mach Rider", just logistically illogical marketing-wise and directly contradictory to Sakurai's words on newcomer reveals and roster size
Would you be surprised at all?

Edink

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that’s the thing. Sakurai might actually throw in the towel and quit game development if this leak is true, since to him that would mean the hype train has crashed.
Is actually very sad the leak scenario, yes I get it, we're impatience af but mm, Sakurai worked very hard for this Smash and is possibly his final one.

On the other hand the history of Smash is marked by leaks so idk if he's used to. Hopefully he's fine if this leak turns to be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom