• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I agree in regards to the drip-feed, I don't think that needs to be done.
Just releasing the character trailers when the blog updates is enough though.
All they really have to do is release new character gameplay. We got K Rool/Dark Samus/Chrom gameplay randomly, that was great. Yet we never got Simon/Richter gameplay...

Heck, even veteran gameplay (not the ones from the demo) would be great. A free for all with like, Luigi, Duck Hunt, Shulk, and Yoshi would be freaking hype cause we could nitpick and analyse all the little changes for a least a week. Release a gameplay video every few days, boom, drought over without releasing too much .

Right now, the hype train is kind of decreasing for me with radio silence. We got Isabelle who IMO wasn't hype for me and that's it in like, 2-3 months? The last piece of new information we got was Ash-Greninja...via text.

Tl;Dr, release gameplay videos of unseen characters, whether they be newcomers or vets...in any capacity.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sakurai tried the drip-feed marketing approach, he pioneered it. It didn't work, or at least, was not considered efficient. Sakurai has remarked how hellish of a burden the Brawl dojo was on the dev team.

The point of marketing is not to entertain people who would pay $500 for the game anyway. The point of marketing is to generate interest and dominate news cycles, which the triple-Direct + mass demo event strategy has done far superior than drip feeding blog posts.

Pettering out information on new items on the blog will not make random people play the game, nor create any passing headlines other than a "Weekly Smash Update" recap at the bottom of the article list at IGN. We know this, because we tried that, and that is what happened.

Anyone suggesting that pettering out returning characters at the pace of a reality TV show would have caused more of a splash than "EVERYONE IS HERE!" can be safely ignored.

None of this would be said about any other game series, fyi.
I think that's the best way of putting it, honestly. I think the marketing is fine for everyone who isn't... Well, us. I've talked to several of my buds and classmates who aren't really huge into video games, or at least only usually play games on PS4 or Xbone with the regular loadouts of Fallout, Spiderman, CoD, etc. They don't have Switches and generally aren't super big on Nintendo, though not against them.

And yet ALL of them know about the "Everyone is Here!" Trailer and thinks the game looks amazing. Some of them even know about the Direct. They think it's so cool that Snake is back, and several of them are seriously debating on getting a Switch because of it. For the people they actually have to SELL the game to, I think the marketing has been doing its job.

It's the ye old Nintendo faithful who aren't getting as much out of it. Of course the big announcements get our blood pumping and excited more than anyone else, but we also live and breathe Smash and can't just put it in the back of our mind until some other big bomb shell is dropped.

And yet, we aren't the ones they need to sell the game to. Pretty sure 95% of those reading the thread here are already going to buy it. The marketing so far has given Smash a blip on the radar to the "outside world". So is it really safe to say the marketing has failed? I dunno. Because we're not the ones they need to sell the game to. An outsider isn't going to have their attention grabbed by a single Rosalina or Little Mac trailer thrown into a direct/out in the blue. But a massive direct with 5 more characters? That's something that'll get them looking at Ultimate.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
GAME:

Smash Bros trailer starts, a music starts playing...
What music would make you HYPE?

-------------------------

For me , this one:
No music for me, Just like Ridley, Simon and other, just a build-up all the way to suddenly play-

When Sora get revealed and the Gameplay sequence start-

Then, if it's Geno, I don't want the MUH BEWARE THE FOREST MUSHROOM choice, I would actually want a remix of the battle theme
Or Fight Against Smithy

If it's Eight

But since the composer is an asshole, in the same sad midi arrangement. kms

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Because it is marketing? Sakurai wouldn't be able to convince Nintendo to pour money and resources into making and sustaining the blog if they didn't feel they'll get a significant return on investment through its advertising. It's marketing different people than a 20 second ad on television, but all of it is a part of the marketing. It's not something Sakurai does in his spare time, writing up posts for the fun of it. :p
I never said it isn't marketing. I said it isn't their main source of marketing. Someone who isn't planning on buying the game right now isn't going to be sucked in by somehow stumbling on the blog. For the most part, they're going to see an ad that perks their interest, and then consult the internet for more info if they need, which may mean going on the blog. Then once they go on the blog, they're going to be like holy **** there's a lot in this game. They won't care long we've gone since the last new piece of information.

I can guarantee the budget for ads of all kind is wayy higher than the costs to run and maintain the blog.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's kind of been said already but, I think it's good to point out that Smash Ultimate's marketing is not as good compared to other Smash titles (Brawl & 4 specifically). Trying to compare Ultimate's marketing to any other triple A series and calling it bad is ... not that accurate. Smash fans just have expectations, expectations that were set by Sakurai/Nintendo from previous games.

Also absolutely agree that extra news everyday via the blog wouldn't actually sell more copies so it's not even a matter of advertising. Anyone here who thinks they aren't giving enough info are going to buy the game one way or the other.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say Isabelle being the reveal before a decently sized drought didn't really help a lot of people.
Honestly, in a way, Isabelle being revealed kind of made certain aspects worse.

It made the whole Vergeben **** 10 times worse since both sides started doubling up on their ****, and while I liked Isabelle, I know a lot of people found her meh.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
GAME:

For me , this one:
Love this question. Even though there are characters I'd want more I can't deny that the one song that would get me more hype than any other song, a trailer that'd make me lose my mind, would be this one:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I will say Isabelle being the reveal before a decently sized drought didn't really help a lot of people.
Honestly, I don't mind Isabelle.

But her trailer was so boring that I genuinely felt asleep during the discord call with my friends since the Direct was like at 1am for us poor European.
They had to tell me the next day that they announced a new AC and I was like "Oh...Uh, cool I guess?"

It's sad that the Isabelle Trailer also had the less amount of gameplay compared to every characters announced yet, probably because it was sandwiched between the AC announcement

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think that's the best way of putting it, honestly. I think the marketing is fine for everyone who isn't... Well, us. I've talked to several of my buds and classmates who aren't really huge into video games, or at least only usually play games on PS4 or Xbone with the regular loadouts of Fallout, Spiderman, CoD, etc. They don't have Switches and generally aren't super big on Nintendo, though not against them.

And yet ALL of them know about the "Everyone is Here!" Trailer and thinks the game looks amazing. Some of them even know about the Direct. They think it's so cool that Snake is back, and several of them are seriously debating on getting a Switch because of it. For the people they actually have to SELL the game to, I think the marketing has been doing its job.

It's the ye old Nintendo faithful who aren't getting as much out of it. Of course the big announcements get our blood pumping and excited more than anyone else, but we also live and breathe Smash and can't just put it in the back of our mind until some other big bomb shell is dropped.

And yet, we aren't the ones they need to sell the game to. Pretty sure 95% of those reading the thread here are already going to buy it. The marketing so far has given Smash a blip on the radar to the "outside world". So is it really safe to say the marketing has failed? I dunno. Because we're not the ones they need to sell the game to. An outsider isn't going to have their attention grabbed by a single Rosalina or Little Mac trailer thrown into a direct/out in the blue. But a massive direct with 5 more characters? That's something that'll get them looking at Ultimate.
but consider this:
I'M not entertained constantly, so they're in the wrong.

I put a card face down and end my turn.

My side of the field is getting filled with cards.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Love this question. Even though there are characters I'd want more I can't deny that the one song that would get me more hype than any other song, a trailer that'd make me lose my mind, would be this one:

Funny you.

We're getting our 18835548# Remix of Twister and you will like it

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Again, Brawl's drip feed lasted 631 days, and Smash 4's was 520. Both also had additional wait times until the US release.

This is 178, with only 47 left, barely a quarter. This is eaaaaasy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
*Pendulum Summon's Jinzo*

Pft, nothin' personnell
I take what I said about loving you back.

I hate you so much right now.

EDIT:
Someone kill this dude's Jinzo so I can get back to setting up my epic jokes damn it

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
GAME:

For me , this one:
There's a set of a few notes consistent in several tracks of a game that would make my heart absolutely stop.

The little Twinkle Melody that plays here, when the title drops after Exor crashes into Bowser's Keep, when getting a Star Piece, when Geno departs, when the parade ends... I'd recognize it within the first note. And I'd lose my ****.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I never said it isn't marketing. I said it isn't their main source of marketing. Someone who isn't planning on buying the game right now isn't going to be sucked in by somehow stumbling on the blog. For the most part, they're going to see an ad that perks their interest, and then consult the internet for more info if they need, which may mean going on the blog. Then once they go on the blog, they're going to be like holy **** there's a lot in this game. They won't care long we've gone since the last new piece of information.

I can guarantee the budget for ads of all kind is wayy higher than the costs to run and maintain the blog.
I should have specified it's "still marketing", as my emphases didn't translate into text. Nobody's saying it will massively affect sales, just pointing out how one particular area of marketing could have been done better.

Despite that, I think a valid argument could be made that it could have a small impact--since it's a vocal minority that's taking issue with it, being vocal, could affect word of mouth, which is often more significant than any other form of marketing. It's why companies try very well to maintain good will even with vocal minorities, because that could affect sales (*ahem* Solo). However, it's a small point, because I don't know how loud this vocal minority is outside of the echo chamber. But it's a possibility that shouldn't be brushed aside.

I dunno about you, but...

EDIT: Crap. CosmicQuark beat me to it. GG.
I see a post asking about hype, I immediately post Banjo. It's my sustenance. :rotfl:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
All they really have to do is release new character gameplay. We got K Rool/Dark Samus/Chrom gameplay randomly, that was great. Yet we never got Simon/Richter gameplay...

Heck, even veteran gameplay (not the ones from the demo) would be great. A free for all with like, Luigi, Duck Hunt, Shulk, and Yoshi would be freaking hype cause we could nitpick and analyse all the little changes for a least a week. Release a gameplay video every few days, boom, drought over without releasing too much .

Right now, the hype train is kind of decreasing for me with radio silence. We got Isabelle who IMO wasn't hype for me and that's it in like, 2-3 months? The last piece of new information we got was Ash-Greninja...via text.

Tl;Dr, release gameplay videos of unseen characters, whether they be newcomers or vets...in any capacity.
But at that point you had already been convinced to buy the game, right? And most likely because of all the game already has to offer, right?

The PRIMARY goal of the marketing team is not to keep people who are already planning on buying the game "hyped" all the way up until release. It's too make sure they sell the most amount of copies. Sucking people in with a great initial reveal, followed by more info in the coming months to convince people on the fence is a great way to do so. First impressions are a big deal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok guys maybe let’s cool it with the video embeds? My mobile browser is starting to stress itself...and it can randomly refresh “because a problem occurred” and log me out in the process

Maybe stick to links for the rest of this page?

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
GAME:

For me , this one:
There's plenty of options, but if I have to go for the one that would get the most hyped...

I don't think any other song would make me as happy and get me as hyped as this one.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did you know he earned his degree by watching House and Scrubs and E.R.?
He also uses brightly coloured pills that cure all your ills.

That, of course, as long as you have the fever or the chill

Dan_Sic

Smash Rookie
I don't agree with that; No other game, and no other trailer will ever make me feel as exited for a game as the "Everyone is here" trailer, which aired in June and we are just in October (and we've gotten a direct and a trailer too), I think they are doing a pretty good job since I can't take this game out of my head.

The pacing of announcements has been weird, I would say, but far from bad advertising. FAAAAAAAAAAR.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I should have specified it's "still marketing", as my emphases didn't translate into text. Nobody's saying it will massively affect sales, just pointing out how one particular area of marketing could have been done better.

Despite that, I think a valid argument could be made that it could have a small impact--since it's a vocal minority that's taking issue with it, being vocal, could affect word of mouth, which is often more significant than any other form of marketing. It's why companies try very well to maintain good will even with vocal minorities, because that could affect sales (*ahem* Solo). However, it's a small point, because I don't know how loud this vocal minority is outside of the echo chamber. But it's a possibility that shouldn't be brushed aside.

I see a post asking about hype, I immediately post Banjo. It's my sustenance. :rotfl:
Oh definitely,the impact of the blog is nothing to be laughed at, but some people seem to think it's the be all and end all of marketing, in reality it's just a fraction of the bigger picture.

The marketing has not been perfect by any means, but when I see comments saying it's be a failure because we have't seen any new info for over a month I chuckle a bit. The main goal of Nintendo's marketing team is not to keep the "hype" riding high for people who are already planning to buy the game. It's to sell the max amount of copies they can.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ok guys maybe let’s cool it with the video embeds? My mobile browser is starting to stress itself...and it can randomly refresh “because a problem occurred” and log me out in the process

Maybe stick to links for the rest of this page?
Also, when you quote a comment with an embedded link, delete it from the quote pretty please?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
*Pendulum Summon's Jinzo*

Pft, nothin' personnell
Can’t let you do that, Shroob.

*activates Solemn Strike*
*Pay Half to Red Reboot that *****
Tsk, tsk, tsk, it looks like I have the upper hand now.

This, I agree with this 100%.

No other game, and no other trailer will ever make me feel as exited for a game as the "Everyone is here" trailer, which aired in June and we are just in October (and we've gotten a direct and a trailer too), I think they are doing a pretty good job since I can't take this game out of my head.

The pacing of anouncements has been weird, I would say, but far from bad advertising. FAAAAAAAAAAR.
Yeah, especially with the short wait time this cycle.
I'm hoping the last announcement is a bomb (and totally contradicts some things previously said).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
GAME:

For me , this one:

I'm the bug inside you!
I have your back to the wall!
Survive the fall from grace!
Drink of the wine of the wrath of god!
ONE MORE GOD REJECTED.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've been quiet since I've been labeled as "Being ungrateful" in the past for pointing this out but, yeah I agree in the fact that the marketing for this game has been ****.

The blog has been USELESS this cycle, and besides that one KRool/DSam vid, we've never seen newer builds of the game in motion, it's always been the E3 demo.

To put it into perspective, we've received two actual NEW things from the blog, 3 'technically'.

1#: Delfino Plaza was returning

2# Isabelle's Fishing Pole is her Side B

3# Greninja transforms during its Final Smash

But that's it.... We're STILL getting rehashed information from AUGUST.
But remember we can't have any desires other than what Sakurai gives us because all the veterans are returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom