• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think that's why they made a point of announcing an international release date at E3. As well as simply waiting to announce the game's existence until they knew they could meet such a release date.
Not to mention, causing WAY less confusion than there would be. I still can't get over how South Korea never got Smash 3DS until almost a full year, man.

Huh, my bad.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we knew everything at the end of next month because then they can just bombard people with marketing for those days
This, all of my this.

Back during Smash 4, they had the 50-Fact Extravaganza, then had an entire month of just commercials and the usual final promotion push until release. The livestream was on October 23rd, 2014, so it gave Smash Wii U pretty much an entire month before it's November 21st/28th/December 6th release, so that's where I think we're gonna have the same situation again come next month for Smash Ultimate.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Because Sakurai's recent comments serve to further imply that there aren't many reveals left.
Or he’s just gonna cool off the remaining unique newcomer trailers and echo teasers (or whatever their showcase is called...besides showcase). There could be 3-5 more trailers left for all we know, and that’s many enough...unless he’s planning to break the music theory

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think there's more than two characters remaining.

I'm thinking two more unique for a nice round 70 movesets total, with two more echos.

Keep in mind, this is all mah gut. And my gut can't handle hamburgers two nights in a row, much less knowing what's going on here.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Let’s all repeat the mantra: It’s only a video game. And if you think you’re gonna go into the video game and recapture your childhoods, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not to mention, causing WAY less confusion than there would be. I still can't get over how South Korea never got Smash 3DS until almost a full year, man.
The variance of international releases is always fascinating. I still can't believe Japan didn't even get Advance Wars until Advance Wars 2 released. It was developed in Japan.

Pakky

Smash Hero

yes, this better than the last one!

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Let’s all repeat the mantra: It’s only a video game. And if you think you’re gonna go into the video game and recapture your childhoods, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.
I disagree.

NiGHTS recaptures my childhood every damn time.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The real problem here is that people think that two more reveals will make the game a disappointment. You really don’t deserve this game, no wonder Sakurai left HAL because he hated this kind of stuff.

Also the people who think he’s lying, using Smash 4 as an argument, but these are just outright delusional

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The real problem here is that people think that two more reveals will make the game a disappointment. You really don’t deserve this game, no wonder Sakurai left HAL because he hated this kind of stuff.

Also the people who think he’s lying, using Smash 4 as an argument, but these are just outright delusional
But Sakurai is a troll! He likes to pretend! Sure, he said that he blew his load too early for Ultimate which heavily implies there's not much left which would fit with our reliable leaker, but SAKURAI'S A TROLL SO WE HAVE 8 CHARACTERS LEFT ACCORDING TO MY THEORY!!!!!!!!!!

Darkurai

Smash Master
Agreed. Sakurai can mislead, and he can withhold information, but he's never lied. If he says something straight up, you can safely assume he means it.

(but of course, people will bring up his comments on Ridley's size like it's impossible to believe in something and change your mind)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, there's a lot of venom here for people who don't think that the box and Sakurai's statements link perfectly with no room for interpretation.

The only solid info we have is that the game releases December 7th.

What's wrong with being hopeful?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wow, there's a lot of venom here for people who don't think that the box and Sakurai's statements link perfectly with no room for interpretation.

The only solid info we have is that the game releases December 7th.

What's wrong with being hopeful?
What's wrong is that this happens every time, roster gets leaked, "No, this can't be right!", etc.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Reveals will slow down? Almost as if Sakurai really meant not to expect too many new characters and not 15 more. Absolutely shocking I know.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I love NiGHTS, Sega please why must you torture me...
I knew I liked you.

If Sega hadn't been sold out to a holding company-- and then another holding company-- we likely would have seen more titles that drew from franchises other than Sonic, Football Manager and their stint of Marvel movie tie-ins. The fact that we never got Jet Set Radio on Wii, NiGHTS on 3DS or a new Virtual On on anything is criminal.

Seriously, imagine playing a new NiGHTS game that takes advantage of 3D to separate the other tracks in the foreground and background. It would be so beautiful. Sega why.

Darkurai

Smash Master
What's wrong is that this happens every time, roster gets leaked, "No, this can't be right!", etc.
At this point, I judge leaks based on how the community reacts to them. If the consensus is "I like this and would be okay with it", then the leak is obviously fake.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I knew I liked you.

If Sega hadn't been sold out to a holding company-- and then another holding company-- we likely would have seen more titles that drew from franchises other than Sonic, Football Manager and their stint of Marvel movie tie-ins. The fact that we never got Jet Set Radio on Wii, NiGHTS on 3DS or a new Virtual On on anything is criminal.

Seriously, imagine playing a new NiGHTS game that takes advantage of 3D to separate the other tracks in the foreground and background. It would be so beautiful. Sega why.
Imagine them on Switch,man... I know buying company is a BIG responsibility but Nintendo buying Sega wouldn't even be bad.

I miss Ristar :(

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At this point, I judge leaks based on how the community reacts to them. If the consensus is "I like this and would be okay with it", then the leak is obviously fake.
That's how it always is. Unless it's complete ****ing bull**** which makes no sense like "Gothitelle echo", "Bandana Dee is an echo" and "Soren is a Robin echo, he got a dagger"

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Looks like the body type argument for Isabelle was right after all. I can admit when I'm wrong.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Expectations probably have been too high for what's yet to be revealed, but at the same time there's no reason to get so tilted by other people and their speculations. I've been one to downplay expectations for a while now, but pessimists ruin speculation, Smash 4 speculation ended up being absolutely dire because of them, and in the end they didn't manage to stop the eventual outrage anyways, so what's the point?

There's a middle ground between "well, that's it, speculation is wrapped up, stop talking until release" and "we're getting 8 more newcomers because of this crazy theory" which I think is the ideal point to hit right now.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Imagine them on Switch,man... I know buying company is a BIG responsibility but Nintendo buying Seag wouldn't even be bad.

I miss Ristar :(
At the risk of getting way off topic, I miss:

NiGHTS
Shining Force (new Shining stuff isn't even close)
Ecco the Dolphin
Panzer Dragoon
Jet Set Radio
Virtual On
Power Stone (Capcom, c'mon)
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star Online (COUGH)
Shenmue Well, at least I got one of them. Here's to hoping it's good.

Hell, I'll take a sequel to Burning Rangers or Fighting Vipers at this point.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nobody currently on the roster I'd get rid of for one-off puppet man. No not even Roy or Young Link who I feel are extra fat.
I would dump Dr. Mario, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer and any echo in a heartbeat for Geno. And I don't even want Geno that badly.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sakurai said:
“...That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace for a bit.”
The "...all the way up to release," bit interests me.

I think this part in particular is Sakurai saying people shouldn't be expecting them to be revealing a character on, like, the 1st of December.

If (when) they do a direct in late November, don't expect any more reveals after that.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would dump Dr. Mario, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer and any echo in a heartbeat for Geno. And I don't even want Geno that badly.
As someone unexpectedly excited to play as Young Link again, and someone who played Lucina for most of my time on Smash 4, I've learned not to underestimate people's love for characters just because they're clones.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
"We made including every single fighter ever our number one goal, so I hope you're not expecting too many new challengers."

"This time we plan to reveal the design for every fighter before the game launches. We'll have a FEW more to announce later, so stay tuned."

"That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."

Ah, clearly this means we only have 17 more character announcements left.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"We made including every single fighter ever our number one goal, so I hope you're not expecting too many new challengers."

"This time we plan to reveal the design for every fighter before the game launches. We'll have a FEW more to announce later, so stay tuned."

"That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."

Ah, clearly this means we only have 17 more character announcements left.
And Music Theory™ confirms that most of them are going to be from unrepresented franchises. I can't wait for November, month of 3rd party character reveals!

zyaire33

Smash Rookie
Expecting 3-5 more. One of them being Geno

Ken
Fire lion
MM/bandana man/issac/shadow/etc.
3rd party or one of the above

That’s who it comes down to now

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I just wanna say something real quick, this goes out to the cult of the box, just because Sakurai said that there would the reveals were poorly timed, that does not prove the box theory in any way.

With that out of the way this is what i think the final characters will be
2 echoes, 3 unique:
Ken (Verge)
Shadow
Incineroar (Verge)
Chorus Kids/Isaac/Bandana Dee/Elma
Sora/Geno/Dragon Quest Character

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Surprised you're not one of those "Cut Young/Toon Link despite Link's changes" people.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Expectations probably have been too high for what's yet to be revealed, but at the same time there's no reason to get so tilted by other people and their speculations. I've been one to downplay expectations for a while now, but pessimists ruin speculation, Smash 4 speculation ended up being absolutely dire because of them, and in the end they didn't manage to stop the eventual outrage anyways, so what's the point?

There's a middle ground between "well, that's it, speculation is wrapped up, stop talking until release" and "we're getting 8 more newcomers because of this crazy theory" which I think is the ideal point to hit right now.
This is probably what makes it so toxic. People get salty because their most wanted characters aren’t in, but they’re not hyped to see characters who they expect due to leaks.

Case in point: Who was the hypest reveal from August’s direct? The dormant krokodile that everybody thought was in but nobody expected there? Or a third party from a nostalgia-inducing franchise that was leaked several times? Even Richter made more of an effect since we didnmt know he was coming.

Also consider the vitriol directed towards Dark Pit and Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr from last round. Would it have been so strong if they hadn’t gotten leaked before?

This is why I am not a fan of leaks. We get the info early, and then disappointment follows since we don’t have more. I’d gladly trade knowing too many characters too soon for spacing things out. Yeah, keep our expectations in check. But it’s really hard when everyone will talk about only the leaked characters and keep bringing up fantheories to shut arguments down. There’s also nowhere to go to not get spoiled - to avoid knowing the two from Vergeben, we would have had to have gone offline since around E3 timeframe, and then we wouldn’t be able to say the word ‘Smash’ online without Google/Youtube seeing it and offering suggestions of vlogs where some ******* discusses the leaked characters and puts them in the thumbnail.

If the vergybox theory is it, it’s disappointing because then we know everything already but we have no more news. We’re already complaining about the blog rehashing news from August, but we’ve had Vergeben’s info even longer. The roster’s fantastic, and I’ll really enjoy the game. But the next few months are gonna be just a series of...
“What about?”
“No. The box.”
“Well DLC?”
“No. Vergeben.”
“Spirits mode?”
“It’s cut. It’s not on the box”

I think it’s more that speculation is getting negative. We’re too eager to shut things down, and we never want to hold long conversations about anything other than characters...but we won’t allow character discussion outside of the ones that someone leaked.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai's lied before and could be pulling at us and when he said "Few more" or "Not as much" he means unique fighters. I'm gonna throw the bone and predict these.

Unique:
Incineroar(69)
Steve(70)
Elma(71)
Geno(72)

Echos:
Dixie Kong(36e)
Shadow(38e)
Medusa(54e)
Ken(60e)

Minecon: Steve(69) is revealed
October: Incineroar(70) and Ken(60e) are revealed in a Lucina/Robin style trailer
November: Final Smash Direct reveals Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters

Rounds out to 82 characters (72 uniques, 10 echos).

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
This is probably what makes it so toxic. People get salty because their most wanted characters aren’t in, but they’re not hyped to see characters who they expect due to leaks.

Case in point: Who was the hypest reveal from August’s direct? The dormant krokodile that everybody thought was in but nobody expected there? Or a third party from a nostalgia-inducing franchise that was leaked several times? Even Richter made more of an effect since we didnmt know he was coming.

Also consider the vitriol directed towards Dark Pit and Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr from last round. Would it have been so strong if they hadn’t gotten leaked before?

This is why I am not a fan of leaks. We get the info early, and then disappointment follows since we don’t have more. I’d gladly trade knowing too many characters too soon for spacing things out. Yeah, keep our expectations in check. But it’s really hard when everyone will talk about only the leaked characters and keep bringing up fantheories to shut arguments down. There’s also nowhere to go to not get spoiled - to avoid knowing the two from Vergeben, we would have had to have gone offline since around E3 timeframe, and then we wouldn’t be able to say the word ‘Smash’ online without Google/Youtube seeing it and offering suggestions of vlogs where some ******* discusses the leaked characters and puts them in the thumbnail.

If the vergybox theory is it, it’s disappointing because then we know everything already but we have no more news. We’re already complaining about the blog rehashing news from August, but we’ve had Vergeben’s info even longer. The roster’s fantastic, and I’ll really enjoy the game. But the next few months are gonna be just a series of...
“What about?”
“No. The box.”
“Well DLC?”
“No. Vergeben.”
“Spirits mode?”
“It’s cut. It’s not on the box”

I think it’s more that speculation is getting negative. We’re too eager to shut things down, and we never want to hold long conversations about anything other than characters...but we won’t allow character discussion outside of the ones that someone leaked.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm confident way less people would be disappointed in what remains if it remained a mystery up until the official reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom