• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

We may not get a new Xenoblade stage or character but I can see some music from Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 making it into the game regardless, seeing as music is series based.
This is all I want, really. The music in XBX was my favorite part of the game, and the songs I've modded in fit pretty well on Gaur Plain.

D

Deleted member

But he is the generic player character? If you know what he's from, he's done his job.
The only way to truly know is to go around the world and survey people.
I mean, not really; the only reason I know is because his design/art style only comes from 1 game. Minecraft is the only game that look like it came from the 80's and somehow because relevant today. Honestly, when the game first came out, I thought it was an old Macintosh era game that they spruced up color-wise and re-released as a retro title. I had no idea it was actually a brand new game purposefully done like that lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Link isn’t just a default skin you can change later. He’s the main character in a ton of games. Don’t ever say “by your logic.” Clearly you can’t figure out what my logic is.:glare:

Steve isn’t a character. He is a canvas that hasn’t been painted yet.

Excellent argument thank you.

You: “But there is a god though”
Me “Well **** I had never thought about it that way before.”
/s
I’m not hating. I just don’t agree HE is an icon. The only reason Steve is recognizable is because he looks like he came straight out of Minecraft. Its kind of an obvious thing.

Theres a ton of Merchandise made for Neopets but I doubt anyone here would argue they are iconic. Hell, there are people who argue Mimikyu wasn’t relevent despite merchandise made for it. Merch =/= Icon.

The only point you made that has anything to do what I’m saying is the first one which is fine, because thats exactly what I’m saying. The game is iconic. Steve, its mascot, is a canvas.
I dont know about that. 'Iconic' means that even without watching the material, you know who the character is. Without ever having seen a cartoon with him in it or having played Kingdom Hearts, you know who Mickey Mouse is. He's iconic. Same with Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. Hell, they're so iconic that people are practically born with the innate knowledge of those characters' backstories; that's iconic.

Steve though? Nobody who's never played the game knows who Steve is. They can recognize and name Creeper, partly because even if they had to guess, they'd call it some kind of 'Creeper', but Steve? They just assume its the generic player character. I, for one, had no idea there was even a named character. I thought it was just a blank avatar.

Not to mention that I think its a little too early to call a game that came out less than 10 years ago 'iconic'. If Minecraft is still relevant and highly recognizable 10 years from now, then we can call it Iconic. Its a bit too early right now; I would just say that its popular. And even then, it's popular only with a given age group.

Just to put it in example, Minecraft is primarily played by people 21 and younger (the percentage of those who play reduce pretty heavily after 30; down to single digit percentages according to a survey done by Microsoft in 2015) whereas people of all ages and ethnic groups recognize Mickey Mouse, Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. I'm not even including the other Marvel heroes, because until the MCU, even Ironman wasn't too well known (heck, the company was about to go bankrupt in the 90's and the only reason they survived was because they sold movie licencing rights to both Sony and Fox for their characters).

Those are iconic characters; characters who people can recognize and identify just on sight decades after their initial introduction. I'm not knocking on Minecraft, but Steve is no way near what one could consider 'iconic' yet; he's just from a popular series right now.
I know I keep hammering this point in, but when Halloween costumes of Steve are being sold in stores like Wal-Mart alongside Mario and Batman costumes, I would absolutely call him iconic. They don't make mass produced licensed store bought Halloween costumes of just any fictional character.
Theres a ton of Merchandise made for Neopets but I doubt anyone here would argue they are iconic. Hell, there are people who argue Mimikyu wasn’t relevent despite merchandise made for it. Merch =/= Icon.
Didn't they only just start doing small amounts of merch again? They need to make more Grundo stuff anyway.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Except that's literally how iconicity works. An icon is a form or figure that represents something. Steve is a character. He is given a name and a default role in the Minecraft experience. He represents its aesthetic, its gameplay, and its world. He is also widely recognized. That's an icon. End of story.

View attachment 166081
Its ironic because I called his strawman cute? Am I getting that right? I’m not treating him like hes dumb. I’m saying he was not reading what I was saying because he wasn’t. I on the other hand was reading his posts. How was I being ironic? I genuinely can’t figure it out.

Fair enough on the iconic argument. I don’t really have anything to say about that.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
A lot of people seem to think that Steve getting in hurts Banjo's chances, but in reality it bolsters them greatly, even if for DLC.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I know I keep hammering this point in, but when Halloween costumes of Steve are being sold in stores like Wal-Mart alongside Mario and Batman costumes, I would absolutely call him iconic. They don't make mass produced licensed store bought Halloween costumes of just any fictional character.

Didn't they only just start doing small amounts of merch again? They need to make more Grundo stuff anyway.
They make costumes of Bananas. They absolutely do make costumes of anything. Also I already said merch =/= iconicness. The other guy got me anyway.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My bad dude, I forget about which series has avatars and forgot Animal Crossing existed. And Fire Emblem. And also Miis. very forgetful today
You just gonna leave out :ultmario::ultsonic: in the golden dirt like that

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Its ironic because I called his strawman cute? Am I getting that right? I’m not treating him like hes dumb. I’m saying he was not reading what I was saying because he wasn’t. I on the otherhand was reading his posts. How was I being ironic? I genuinely can’t figure it out.

Fair enough on the iconic argument. I don’t really have anything to say about that.
my man
you're running around yelling at people who aren't even talking to you

D

Deleted member

People act like being made out of cubes isn't enough to make you stand out from every other videogame character lol

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Its ironic because I called his strawman cute? Am I getting that right? I’m not treating him like hes dumb. I’m saying he was not reading what I was saying because he wasn’t. I on the otherhand was reading his posts. How was I being ironic? I genuinely can’t figure it out.

Probably ironic because it always comes off as you talking down to other people whenever you get irritated when someone makes an argument against you.
Honestly, it didn't look at all like he was trying to say you were dumb, and he was kinda basically saying what P1ZZ4CHU said just with more words. You have done this before.

*shrug*

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Because you act like the people arguing with you are idiots and just a few posts before that you say that's bad of them

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This is all I want, really. The music in XBX was my favorite part of the game, and the songs I've modded in fit pretty well on Gaur Plain.
Well, I think the battle themes will simply fit well for being energetic and upbeat songs, so I'm expecting them to mainly select such sort of music for Smash.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

A lot of people seem to think that Steve getting in hurts Banjo's chances, but in reality it bolsters them greatly, even if for DLC.
This. If Nintendo and Sakurai managed to reach out to Microsoft for a big and valuable IP as Minecraft, they can get Banjo far more easily unless Microsoft doesn't want them to use the IP for whatever reason.

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Legitimate question for the group, does anyone care what tier their mains are?

I'm never really sure how competitive people on here are, and even then a good competitive player can atil play with someone who isn't top tier.

90% of the people I play smash with are casuals so we usually just play characters we like, and so I haven't really looked too much into people's oppinions on Ridley. I guess I do care he isn't bottom tier and isn't total trash, and the general consensus so far is he isn't so that's good.
Eh. Not really. Both of my Wii U mains (Bowser Jr. and Roy) are pretty low. I main them anyway. :/

Heck, my brother mains Kirby in Melee.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Speaking of representation of iconic franchises, when are we getting CoD soldier, Ezio Auditore, CJ, Vault Boy, Sub-Zero, Need for Speed car, Just Dance dancer and Peashooter from PvZ in Smash?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They make costumes of Bananas. They absolutely do make costumes of anything. Also I already said merch =/= iconicness. The other guy got me anyway.
Note how I specified "licensed." They need to pay for the rights for existing characters, so they need to be the top selling ones to ensure that mass production won't put them in the red. That's why the licensed costumes you see are the ones that truly infiltrated pop culture.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of representation of iconic franchises, when are we getting CoD soldier, Ezio Auditore, CJ, Vault Boy, Sub-Zero, Need for Speed car and Just Dance dancer in Smash?
You mean Scorpion and not Sub Zero

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
inb4 people start using this argument to state that Mario and Batman are franchise that are only popular with kids...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Because you act like the people arguing with you are idiots and just a few posts before that you say that's bad of them
I don’t act like that. My wording might be bad but I really don’t mean it that way. It would just be nice if people would actually address the argument I’m making instead of arguing something completely different.

Probably ironic because it always comes off as you talking down to other people whenever you get irritated when someone makes an argument against you.
Honestly, it didn't look at all like he was trying to say you were dumb, and he was kinda basically saying what P1ZZ4CHU said just with more words. You have done this before.

*shrug*
Far as I could tell he was blatantly “lol xd”ing my argument for likes. That **** makes me mad. I dunno what else to say about it. If you are going to take that route in arguing with me AT LEAST make sure you are doing it with the argument I’m actually making. This isn’t even the first time he had done that. So yeah I went off. I wasn’t saying he was dumb. I’m saying “read my posts or do not argue with me.”
my man
you're running around yelling at people who aren't even talking to you
I’m actually not doing that at all though?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Not in the slightest. I played a lot of :linkmelee::zeldamelee::link2::zelda::pt::ike::ganondorf::4link::4zelda::4myfriends::4ganondorf:, so I actually wouldn't know how to handle a high tier character. Most high-tiers are small, light, fast characters, and I'm not that good with them overall.
I dont know about that. 'Iconic' means that even without watching the material, you know who the character is. Without ever having seen a cartoon with him in it or having played Kingdom Hearts, you know who Mickey Mouse is. He's iconic. Same with Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. Hell, they're so iconic that people are practically born with the innate knowledge of those characters' backstories; that's iconic.
'Iconic' is one of those great words that everyone has a different definition for...especially here. Most icons are recognizable without knowing much about the franchise, but just seeing it plastered everywhere...like the Mickey or Spidey examples.

From that analysis, I think merchandise definitely plays into something's iconicness. If every other child is wearing a T-shirt with Steve and the word "Minecraft" on it, that associates it very nicely. I would unquestionalby say that Steve is iconic. Even if I still don't know what his mouth is doing. Sure, people might not know his name, but everyone knows 'the Minecraft guy.'

But on the other hand, there are some 'icons' people throw out here that I would never call an icon myself since they aren't imprinted on everyone's consciousness. I've never heard of characters like Rayman or Geno before I started smash speculation.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
oh dang did we already get a new shipment of Petey Piranha costumes?

Halloween must be coming early this year
.......what?

Note how I specified "licensed." They need to pay for the rights for existing characters, so they need to be the top selling ones to ensure that mass production won't put them in the red. That's why the licensed costumes you see are the ones that truly infiltrated pop culture.
Fair enough.

D

Deleted member

I'd kill for MK in Smash just to see if Sakurai uses Techno Syndrome or not.
Even though that song literally screams MORTAL KOMBAT at you, I'm not sure how likely getting it in Smash would be. I don't know who owns the soundtrack to the movie, but it's probably not WB Games/NetherRealm.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I don’t act like that. My wording might be bad but I really don’t mean it that way. It would just be nice if people would actually address the argument I’m making instead of arguing something completely different.

Far as I could tell he was blatantly “lol xd”ing my argument for likes. That **** makes me mad. I dunno what else to say about it. If you are going to take that route in arguing with me AT LEAST make sure you are doing it with the argument I’m actually making. This isn’t even the first time he had done that. So yeah I went off. I wasn’t saying he was dumb. I’m saying “read my posts or do not argue with me.”

I’m actually not doing that at all though?
Take your hands away from the keyboard, go play some videogames or draw or whatever it is you do to chill, and come back when you feel better. There's no need to drag this out. The original topic isn't even on the table anymore, you're just punching air at this point.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm never really sure how competitive people on here are, and even then a good competitive player can atil play with someone who isn't top tier.

90% of the people I play smash with are casuals so we usually just play characters we like, and so I haven't really looked too much into people's oppinions on Ridley. I guess I do care he isn't bottom tier and isn't total trash, and the general consensus so far is he isn't so that's good.
I couldn't care less about tiers, my favourite character to play as is Zelda.

If Ridley is bottom tier, it's going to create ugly reactions from his fans, but whatever. I'm not going to play as him either way.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Take your hands away from the keyboard, go play some videogames or draw or whatever it is you do to chill, and come back when you feel better. There's no need to drag this out. The original topic isn't even on the table anymore, you're just punching air at this point.
Just drop it, it's pointless.

People act like being made out of cubes isn't enough to make you stand out from every other videogame character lol
It's funny cause because of minecraft, voxel games blew up and there are thousands of "minecraft clones" out there now.

D

Deleted member

Nope. I'll play Shulk regardless of how good he is. Sometimes it is frustrating because he just can't do things better characters can, but those characters aren't Shulk. My placings usually aren't great, and I don't mind at all.

Just Dance dancer
PSY when

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I’m laying in my bed fairly relaxed actually. I’m fine. I’m not punching anything. Meanwhile you are saying I’m screaming at people and punching at air like wtf.

But yeah this is done. I shouldn’t have come back to this thread.

D

Deleted member

I'm a Ganon and Shulk main so make of that what you will. And I'm maining Ridley regardless, I don't care what tier he is, I've been wanting him ever since Smash 4 to just not play him.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Even though that song literally screams MORTAL KOMBAT at you, I'm not sure how likely getting it in Smash would be. I don't know who owns the soundtrack to the movie, but it's probably not WB Games/NetherRealm.
Oh I know.

It's just endlessly amusing that the song that people associate so strongly with MK was actually just a one off thing for the movies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait wait wait

Doesn’t Steve kill the box theory since that’s beyond incineroar and ken?

And the Minecraft content is definately not dlc.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Murlough you literally said this
IF YOU TALK LIKE YOUR OPPONENT IS DUMB EVERY CHANCE YOU GET EVEN THOUGH YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE STRAIGHT BOOTY, you have failed
In that very post you also say this
The post I’m quoting is a very cute strawman made from a guy who likes to talk as if others are stupid when he apparently isn’t capable of reading the posts he’s arguing against. Murlough out.
Sorry Murlough, but if you talk like your fellow debater is illiterate at any chance you get even if your own arguments are gay ass, you have not succeeded

D

Deleted member

Also, speaking of Shulk, I believe I saw something about his stabbing moves(UAir, DAir, BAir, FSmash and USmash) getting range buffs though I'm not sure if this is true.
Shulk was good during release when he really did have the largest reach but after Corrin outreaching his FSmash and Cloud's Buster Sword outreaching his overall movesets, he's been left in a weird spot. Simon and Richter certainly won't help that so I really hope they buffed his range to at least be as big as Cloud's.

D

Deleted member

Oh I know.

It's just endlessly amusing that the song that people associate so strongly with MK was actually just a one off thing for the movies.
If this was a better timeline, Cassie Cage's intro animation with the earbuds would have Techno Syndrome playing instead of one of the arcade songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom