• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
It's plausible that the SE character may actually be DLC or bogus info.

Especially since he did not know K. Rool was a character from one of his three sources. So his info could be incomplete.

Or is it possible he could be getting info on DLC characters, which is why he isn't saying the SE Rep?
EDIT: :ultgreninja:'ed a bit by Schnee
That does sorta make sense, but I don't really see Incineroar as the last big announcement for the base game. Geno would be a much better "final" announcement to bring the hype.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No one got pulled as a Smash reveal from last direct. It's like someone said that Isabelle + Tom Nook Animal Crossing announcement was very obviously planned in advance. Much like Luigi's Mansion 3 was the planned start. I don't even think there's a viable place for another Smash reveal to have been in that direct.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This thread surely moves fast.

People still talking about the box thing, even though it's speculation as baseless as the Smash 3DS/Wii U website empty slots or some stuff.

Consider this: Isabelle isn't there. Also, remind that the "everyone is here" artwork changes the characters' positioning around if necessary in order to fit new additions.

They can always change the box's design to fit all the characters once they're revealed. It's still 2 months until the release. That's plenty of time to change the design.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'd say we're definitively getting Geno to finally have the Big Trio in the game (Ridley, K. Rool and ofc Geno), the other slot left should be for Isaac or Skull Kid
I think it'll be Banjo and Kazooie because of Verge's leaked Minecraft content and they'll be the last big hype reveal.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
''Please stop talking about this and only talk about Smash."

-Quotes post about said subject telling me to shut up and accusing me of thinking the world revolves around me like people prior, doesn't see the problem or the irony-

I'm just gonna have to start blocking all of you aren't I? It's really a shame. I'd love to be friends and friendly with everyone, but ya'll are making it really hard. I don't block people out of principal and the only person I did was @Burb briefly, which is odd enough because now he's my sweet baboo.
Please count the number of I and me in your writing

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I dont want to talk about it either. But i need to get it off my chest. If you think ppl are targeting you, and you respond. They WILL target you. Just to piss you off.

Heck, even i did that earlier. Just to piss him off
And that's toxic.
You can, also, just not do anything. It's not rocket science. Conversation will die down naturally.

Well that was rude and uncalled for. If moderators were actually ever going to moderate stuff like this and personal conversations shouldn't be in the general discussion :/
Man I'm about to get an infraction for responding to all of these posts as if I matter or something, but dude, best way is to report it and totally not acknowledge it in any other way.

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Well that was rude and uncalled for. If moderators were actually ever going to moderate stuff like this and personal conversations shouldn't be in the general discussion :/
Nah everytime some dumb ass theory gets made from the smallest thing ever and people start believing in it

I don't blame people thinking the smash community is ****ing dreadful it really is

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't understand how people are so 100% or 0% on the Boxart thing, when Vergeben has been a 0% for a majority of the speculation period.

People are so quick to speak in definites. Maybe all the characters are on the boxart.....maybe they aren't. Why is the subject so touchy? Anyway, Sakurai said there wouldn't be any hidden characters, with that in mind I could see the Boxart thing being legitimate. I dunno why I'm an idiot for considering that. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's more sound than the mii costume theory or music theory
To be fair, if we get an AC track next week, and if Incineroar really is the final newcomer (I don't think he is, but for the sake of the argument), wouldn't the music theory essentially be true?

I'm not saying it's solid, but I don't think you can just brush it off either at this point.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Changing the topic.

I wonder if incineroar plays like Paco from Brawlout

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Anyway,

I like the event match conversation. I really hope the events are more fun this time than in 4, haha.

D

Deleted member

Some fun facts about Isabelle.

• Isabelle is the first unique character revealed for Ultimate that always female.
  • Animal Crossing is the first series since Kid Icarus to receive more than one unique character. That's right, no other series added to Smash after E3 2005 has received more than one unique character until now.
  • Isabelle is the first semi clone included since Wolf.
  • Isabelle is the fourth character to be promoted from an item after Charizard, Little Mac and Dark Samus.
  • Isabelle is the second unique newcomer for Ultimate to debut after 2010.
  • Isabelle is the first playable Animal Crossing character that can speak.
  • With Isabelle's confirmation, every guest character that has ever been in a non arcade Mario Kart is now in Smash.
Any you found interesting?
I know this was from a long time ago, but I wanted to point this particular part out,

Isabelle is interesting because she is a "unique" character that was promoted from an Assist Trophy to a playable character. The AT point was used as a detraction because people assumed that once a character becomes one, they can't become playable ever. Even with Little Mac, that could have been explained away as a one-time thing or Dark Samus just being an echo of Samus. Now we have Isabelle, who clearly isn't the first AT to be promoted as playable nor is she an echo. Along with Charizard, Ridley, and Villager, that makes up a total of six non-playable roles to playable transition in the course of Smash.

Granted, these aren't exactly frequent cases and 90% of people in AT or non-playable roles won't be upgraded to playable, but it does show that if someone is relevant enough to gaming or have substantial fan demand, they can get in next game even in case of a reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That does sorta make sense, but I don't really see Incineroar as the last big announcement for the base game. Geno would be a much better "final" announcement to bring the hype.
As mentioned countless times though, the last reveals for previous games included Olimar and Shulk.
The final reveal has always been anti-climatic for Smash. Though with Incineroar we're also getting Ken and I for one can't wait for that because Ken is one of my SF mains and I am so excited to see how Maximilian Dood reacts.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I know this was from a long time ago, but I wanted to point this particular part out,

Isabelle is interesting because she is a "unique" character that was promoted from an Assist Trophy to a playable character. The AT point was used against detractions because people assumed that once a character becomes one, they can't become playable ever. Even with Little Mac, that could have been explained away as a one-time thing or Dark Samus just being an echo of Samus. Now we have Isabelle, who clearly isn't the first AT to be promoted as playable nor is she an echo. Along with Charizard, Ridley, and Villager, that makes up a total of six non-playable roles to playable transition in the course of Smash.

Granted, these aren't exactly frequent cases and 90% of people in AT or non-playable roles won't be upgraded to playable, but it does show that if someone is relevant enough to gaming or have substantial fan demand, they can get in next game even in case of a reboot.
Just another case of "MAN THIS RULE WE MADE UP GOT BROKEN AGAIN WHO COULDA SAW THAT COMING"

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My prediction is a Smash direct next month telling us everything left of the base game including singleplayer and a direct on late November with the first DLC character. That, or the other way around
I don't think they'll even talk about dlc until after release. Smash 3ds had already been out for a bit when Mewtwo was announced

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Nah everytime some dumb *** theory gets made from the smallest thing ever and people start believing in it

I don't blame people thinking the smash community is ****ing dreadful it really is
Denial is a powerful thing.
All the math fits. It is 2 left.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
ith that in mind I could see the Boxart thing being legitimate. I dunno why I'm an idiot for considering that.
So with 3 months left you really think only two characters are remaining to be announced

No way that's happening when they bloody revealed 5 characters in one direct

LetterO

Smash Lord
Some fun facts about Isabelle.

• Isabelle is the first unique character revealed for Ultimate that always female.
  • Animal Crossing is the first series since Kid Icarus to receive more than one unique character. That's right, no other series added to Smash after E3 2005 has received more than one unique character until now.
  • Isabelle is the first semi clone included since Wolf.
  • Isabelle is the fourth character to be promoted from an item after Charizard, Little Mac and Dark Samus.
  • Isabelle is the second unique newcomer for Ultimate to debut after 2010.
  • Isabelle is the first playable Animal Crossing character that can speak.
  • With Isabelle's confirmation, every guest character that has ever been in a non arcade Mario Kart is now in Smash.
Any you found interesting?
With Isabelle's addition, we can safely say that not EVERY newcomer will be a super highly requested ballot pick. It's great knowing this fact because now I can rest easy knowing popularity probably won't affect a RH rep's appearence.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just so I'm clear, obviously the blank spaces in the box shown in the Direct could be filled with still unknown characters.

That's a given. A blank space is honestly ugly like that.

However, it's not the end all be all of the number of characters yet to be revealed. Nintendo knows how rampant Smash speculation is. Would you really think they'd do such a giveaway on the remaining number of characters to be revealed?

The box design is a placeholder. It's unfinished. It's just a suggestion of how it will look like in the end.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Care to explain why?
It's a ****ing box. Of course it's not gonna have everyone on it. That's not even bringing up echos, which can technically count as newcomers.

Also this:
Just so I'm clear, obviously the blank spaces in the box shown in the Direct could be filled with still unknown characters.

That's a given. A blank space is honestly ugly like that.

However, it's not the end all be all of the number of characters yet to be revealed. Nintendo knows how rampant Smash speculation is. Would you really think they'd do such a giveaway on the remaining number of characters to be revealed?

The box design is a placeholder. It's unfinished. It's just a suggestion of how it will look like in the end.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
So with 3 months left you really think only two characters are remaining to be announced

Yeah man. Wonder why Sakurai did that.

He should have revealed Simon and Richter and saved the rest for later

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Olimar was the last brawl character.
Shulk was the last smash 4. The 50 fact did not drop tons of characters. Only 2 from what I can remember.

Nothing in October makes sense.
50 Fact in November, Show of Inciniroar to promote Lets Go Pikachu.
Last facts being the SE rep as DLC in the new year.

All lines up.

Nah your gullible to believe in such a **** theory.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
there's no reason to believe verge's pokemon claims are on more solid ground than the Square Enix character, if anyone is sending bs info to him alolan pokemon would be the first thing to come to people minds.

In general, the sheer amount of reaching you guys have to do to justify Verge's statements (outside of ken, the only character he truly publicly namedropped as in) and the box theory at the same time. He was confident on 8 total non-echo newcomers in ultimate. Stop trying to hop on 2 contradicting sources at once. The final newcomer as per box theory could be Porky Minch or Sable Prince for all we know as you might as well throw pokemon and Squeenix character out of the window if you believe vergeben has that much wrong info.

I'm trying to be neutral here and play along until it's confirmed or deconfirmed but god, yall are trying to have your cake and eat it by making this boxeben frankenstien of a "smash leak"

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To the people asking why Incineroar would be the last reveal, there is a very, VERY good reason for it. Let's take it step by step for clarity's sake.

1. "Everyone is Here!" was decided from the beginning. From there, it is safe to assume that the fighter numbering was decided very early, especially since the character select screen itself is based on it.

2. Incineroar was officially revealed in 2016. The roster was decided in late 2015. Because of this, like Greninja before him, Incineroar was likely added later on and before that was just a placeholder.

3. Due to being added later on, it makes sense that Incineroar's reveal would be last: he was likely the last fighter decided on, significantly long after the other (potentially non-echo) fighters.

I'm certain the box theory is correct, that the final non-Ken character is Incineroar, and that this is why.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

I don't think anything about it. I said maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I have no idea and I'm not gonna pretend I do. I agree that it doesn't make much sense when you think about the one direct.

Still don't see a reason to call others idiots about it. It's just speculation man. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Just another case of "MAN THIS RULE WE MADE UP GOT BROKEN AGAIN WHO COULDA SAW THAT COMING"
I won't say I care for Isabelle because I don't but you have no idea how glad I was to see her shatter the AT argument for good. Only Skull Kid and maybe Isaac could have done that and I doubt either are getting in even if the Box Theory is false.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Um, what happened while I was gone? (Case anyone cares apple cider doughnut are delicious) We're still talking about that darn box, while a couple of people are being overly negative, can we let Fisher say anything without tearing it apart? I've been a guest here for a while, I've never seen Fisher post anything that hasn't immediate ended up in a other users arguing. I would like EVERYONE to be able to contribute if they can, so kindly let them. (Was that maybe too passive aggressive?)
I asked a question a while back about making charecters overpowered, and I came up with one for sonic
He can string fair infinitely, homing attack is instant and has infinite range, and spind dash is invincible
PLEASE PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE SECOND PART OF MY POST, THANK YOU

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, if we get an AC track next week, and if Incineroar really is the final newcomer (I don't think he is, but for the sake of the argument), wouldn't the music theory essentially be true?

I'm not saying it's solid, but I don't think you can just brush it off either at this point.
Nope. First new characters revealed where Inkling, Daisy and Ridley, first music tracks added where a Zelda, Street Fighter and Metroid one. While Mario and Splatoon later got featured, they were quite a bit later. Then we got the Smash Direct which had Belmonts, Chrom, Dark Samus and K.Rool. Music we got after that was for CastleVania, DK and then Fire Emblem in a row. Richter and Dark Samus got nothing but Chrom DID. Meaning echoes are important enough to validate the music theory according to it's believers yet the Mario track was added like 2 months after Daisy's reveal and Dark Samus got NOTHING. Plus, Ken's been talked about because of Verge who has been spot on with his calls, if we get Ken, then the music theory makes no sense as Street Fighter already had a remix. It relies too much on "No that doesn't count because I said so"

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
If the box theory ends up being right I'll take the L, if it's wrong everyone who believed it has to take a L. Is that fair?

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Still don't see a reason to call others idiots about it. It's just speculation man. :grin:
I'm all for speculation but when everyone thinks 2 characters are left because of a freaking placeholder box it really gets dumb.

OMG THE CHAIRS IT MUST BE SKULL KID lol

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Considering the release timing for Ultimate is similar to that of Smash Wii U 4 years ago, it's not unreasonable at all to expect another Smash Direct or presentation around the time they did the 50-fact extravaganza. Late October and early November are my best bet.

As with the August Direct, it's likely that it will open with a character reveal, perhaps ending with one as well.

Any echo fighters to be announced then likely won't get some big trailer, unless they fit in with another character's trailer as was the case with Lucina in the previous game and Richter this time around.

And like the Smash Wii U 50-fact extravaganza 4 years ago, we might get our first DLC tease, perhaps with a very anticipated character or a notable third party character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
For box theory.

Believing it is correct means I have set my expectations and they will not be shattered when I am correct. IF I am wrong, guess what. I get more characters to use in smash. Watch me get upset over being wrong./s

I'm all for speculation but when everyone thinks 2 characters are left because of a freaking placeholder box it really gets dumb.

OMG THE CHAIRS IT MUST BE SKULL KID lol
Chairs made no sense. This is an official art piece being sold by the company. Not props. They are different and treating them the same shows a lack of maturity on your part.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Nah everytime some dumb *** theory gets made from the smallest thing ever and people start believing in it

Well yeah, look at all the Bayo/Bayo player hate. That was the biggest symptom before earthquake/Direct conspiracy theories

Edit: Do you guys think the back of the Ultinate Switch box has the elongated piece of artwork on it, showing all the characters?

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but so far all of the newcomer reveals (aside from Inkling) have been in chronological order of when their first game was. Metroid came out August 1986, Castlevania came out September 1986, Donkey Kong Country came out 1994, and Animal Crossing New Leaf was just a couple years ago. I hope I'm wrong, and if I had to guess I'd say this is probably just a coincidence, but it would make sense for Sakurai to do it this way (since he does really like putting Easter Eggs in about when characters' first games were) and thus leave Incineroar for the final reveal.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
It's not denial more than it is knowing that this wouldn't slip past anybody's radar. As well as the fact that it's boxart that can easily change.

Seriously, treating it as set in stone 3 months before the game releases is really silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom