• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Alright Here’s a game. you get to have one character in smash. But here’s the twist. It HAS to be a really dumb and ridiculous character for it to get in. Boo Berry for me (I like the cereal, as you can see from my icon.)
This one's easy

WaxPython

Smash Ace
We got a bunch of info exactly a month ago, I can handle waiting a bit longer. Though new music coming up weekly also helps with that too.

No need to act like we're dying though, lol.
I think we would all be much happier if we just got a release date for the direct lol

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Not really I think some people are just opinionated and can't handle unpopular opinions so they throw tantrums.

I personally don't care what they say I'm here to speak my mind not keep them happy, free speech for everyone is my motto and to always show respect even when I disagree.
Amen! I pretty mind ch agree with everything you just said.

So......................

What kind of bosses do you guys want to see in this game?

I personally would love to fight Ultra Necrozma.

I think Lusamine And Nehiligo Combination would be cooler in my opinion. To me, she felt like the first real Pokemon villian that actually acted like a villian. She’s not all “Ooh I’m so evil!” She just has a disgusting personality that makes her feel like a real villian.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Amidst all this talk of the addition of a character from an Xbox-exclusive series to Smash, I went over to Source Gaming to refresh my memory on what exactly Sakurai said about the qualifications for third-party characters joining the fray. To my surprise, I guess appearing on a Nintendo system isn't as important as I thought, as he's only mentioned third-party characters' history with Nintendo as being of any importance once (back in the Brawl days) and even then he said "it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform." I'm not 100% sure what that even means, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's particularly important to him. However, for those Goku fans out there, unfortunately he's much clearer and seemingly resolute about that: "Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)."

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Alright Here’s a game. you get to have one character in smash. But here’s the twist. It HAS to be a really dumb and ridiculous character for it to get in. Boo Berry for me (I like the cereal, as you can see from my icon.)
Gandhi from Sid Meier's Civilization
All of his attack's wouldn't damage... He would heal the opponents, Defend himself, and even give some gifts,
But then his final smash...
NUKES!!!!!
More Specificly, Nukes that would kill everyone except for Ghandhi.
So his playstyle would be to appear Pacifistic, until he gets the Final Smash

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i dont know why yall go for master cheif when it comes to ms characters but when it comes to se characters that aren't geno you try and say its gonna be nobodies like agnes and neku instead of edrick or even eight.

Also if there was an MS rep that wasnt banjo it would be steve, minecraft steve has long since surpassed mr halo as the hero of the biggest game in modern times.

Master Cheif would still be cool as **** but dont start messing around here

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Amidst all this talk of the addition of a character from an Xbox-exclusive series to Smash, I went over to Source Gaming to refresh my memory on what exactly Sakurai said about the qualifications for third-party characters joining the fray. To my surprise, I guess appearing on a Nintendo system isn't as important as I thought, as he's only mentioned third-party characters' history with Nintendo as being of any importance once (back in the Brawl days) and even then he said "it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform." I'm not 100% sure what that even means, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's particularly important to him. However, for those Goku fans out there, unfortunately he's much clearer and seemingly resolute about that: "Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)."
Well there's also this as well.
Tales Producer- a character can only appear in Smash if already on a Nintendo console.png

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
So......................

What kind of bosses do you guys want to see in this game?

I personally would love to fight Ultra Necrozma.

Phantoon would be really cool now Ridley’s playable

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i dont know why yall go for master cheif when it comes to ms characters but when it comes to se characters that aren't geno you try and say its gonna be nobodies like agnes and neku instead of edrick or even eight.

Also if there was an MS rep that wasnt banjo it would be steve, minecraft steve has long since surpassed mr halo as the hero of the biggest game in modern times.

Master Cheif would still be cool as **** but dont start messing around here
Who tf is Eight

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
All of his attack's wouldn't damage... He would heal the opponents, Defend himself, and even give some gifts,
NUKES!!!!!
^ This right here

This is one of the best ideas ever introduced to mankind.

Not even Tesla or Einstein can compete with the idea of Ghandi being playable in smash

KMDP

Smash Legend
does knowing about the One Piece rap count for any sort of real knowledge?
In a word, no.
Anyone got a good topic to lighten up the mood?
While it's not a topic, here's something I wrote in the Isaac thread that I've been sitting on for a few days (I wrote it the night before the Earthquake, so you can probably see why I held off on posting it here):

Viridi: Just what we need, another Sword Fighter.
Pit: What's wrong with Sword Fighters?
Viridi: What isn't wrong with Sword Fighters? There's just so many nowadays, and they're all so similar! It's infuriating.
Palutena: His use of swords aside, Isaac is a powerful geomancer, watch your footing, Pit. It could slip out right from under you.
Pit: Thanks for the update, Lady Palu-
Viridi: Wait, he's a Geomancer? I've changed my mind, I'm rooting for him now.
Palutena: Oh? I thought Sword Fighters were too abundant and infuriating.
Viridi: That's in the past, this is now.
Pit: It was literally 10 seconds ago.
Viridi: Anyone who fights with the Earth at his back has my support! Go get him, blond-y!
Pit & Palutena: *sigh*

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
If I were a drinking man, I'd take a shot for every time I read someone say "so and so will never ever appear in Smash".

Look, just because you don't want a character in Smash for whatever reason, that doesn't mean that character is an impossibility. I won't say certain characters' names out of a desire not to fan the flames anymore than they already have been, but even if the odds are stacked incredibly against them, none of us really know what Sakurai is thinking and what he has in mind.

For example, a few months ago if someone said that Ridley and King K. Rool would be in the upcoming Smash they'd be laughed off the boards. And yet, they made it in despite those 2 being perceived to have overwhelming odds against them. It's happened before, so it can happen again.

What I'm trying to say is that we should at least keep an open mind about a character's chances, however slim, instead of plugging our ears and freaking out whenever a controversial character comes up. Otherwise if that character does make it in, it makes those absolutist statements look silly and embarrassing upon a revisit.

This is a speculation thread. Have some fun, don't take it so seriously. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's something fun for you guys.

A reddit thread is conducting a sort of poll. Except it puts characters against each other.
There's a Newcomers bracket and Echoes bracket. The characters aren't random, but the order they fight is.

Right now it's Sora v. Rayman and Isabelle v. Funky Kong.
Go ahead and take a look at it.

Here's the NEWCOMER bracket and the ECHO bracket.
Oh hey, my scarlet dandelion is on the top of the newcomer bracket. As it should be.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Amen! I pretty mind ch agree with everything you just said.

I think Lusamine And Nehiligo Combination would be cooler in my opinion. To me, she felt like the first real Pokemon villian that actually acted like a villian. She’s not all “Ooh I’m so evil!” She just has a disgusting personality that makes her feel like a real villian.
Game Freak hates that they did a cool, interesting idea and immediately got rid of it in the sister sequels so RIP
So Doomguy could get in, but not Dante?
Project X Zone girl

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
NUKES!!!!!
People say that this can't work as an idea but people don't realize that windboxes can make someone who deals no damage a viable fighter. :p

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Auster is the DQ7 protag, not 8.

EDIT: I can't read.
I'm really tired and typed the wrong amount of Is and went on wikipedia when trying to double check **** in case im a dumbass and didnt even notice i went on the wrong game. This doesnt change the fact that im a dumbass.

Also I like the topic of cool potential bosses. My top ones would be Marx, Egg Dragoon, Andross (64 version) and Sigma.

Santa Claus will be in Smash bros....

....but you can only play as him during December.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm really tired and typed the wrong amount of Is and went on wikipedia when trying to double check **** in case im a ******* and didnt even notice i went on the wrong game. This doesnt change the fact that im a *******.

Also I like the topic of cool potential bosses. My top ones would be Marx, Egg Dragoon, Andross (64 version) and Sigma.
Hey believe in yourself my friend

Oh hey, my scarlet dandelion is on the top of the newcomer bracket. As it should be.
...whomst?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thought of another game we can play. Let's say two of the following ten franchises get an Echo.

:ultdk::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:

Which franchise would you choose to receive an Echo, who from that series would you pick, and why?

(Ex: I choose Dixie (DK) and Isabelle (AC). Both are fairly popular characters, and I feel like they're iconic enough to be in Smash. Plus, both franchises feel a little light on characters.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thought of another game we can play. Let's say two of the following ten franchises get an Echo.

:ultdk::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:

Which franchise would you choose to receive an Echo, who from that series would you pick, and why?

(Ex: I choose Dixie (DK) and Isabelle (AC). Both are fairly popular characters, and I feel like they're iconic enough to be in Smash. Plus, both franchises feel a little light on characters.
This is downright cruelty how could you do this to me making me pick just 2

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1536431767194.png

They put more effort into a leak that was instantly not believed

1536429401495-jpg.png

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I still think there's a possibility of 2 characters in the direct. The one introduced during the smash section in the past 2 directs was an expected newcomer(Inklings and Simon) and the direct ending with a fan requested one(Ridley & K. Rool).
I honestly think its more, IMO, New Franchise/Old Franchise, but both sets are fan requests.

Inkling and Simon were popular requests in 2015, however, I don't know how much in comparison to Ridley and K. Rool.

If I were to guess anything of this sort, there are plenty of World Wide New and Old Franchises to choose from:

New Franchises
- Golden Sun (Isaac/Felix)- 1st Party
- Super Mario RPG (Geno/Mallow)- Square Enix 3rd Party
- Dragon Quest (Many protags to choose from)- SE 3rd Party
- Chrono Trigger (Chrono)- SE 3rd Party
- Rhythm Heaven (Karate Joe/Chorus Kids)- 1st Party
- Banjo Kazooie (Banjo and Kazooie)- Microsoft 3rd Party
- Rayman (Rayman)- Ubisoft 3rd Party
- Tekken (Heihachi/Jin/Kazuya)- Bamco 3rd Party
- Tales of (Lloyd)- Bamco 3rd Party
- Chibi Robo - 1st Party
- DMC (Dante) - Capcom 3rd Party
- Monster Hunter (Hunter/Palico) - Capcom 3rd Party

There are more than this, but if we are talking about any sort of popularity, these are probably the biggest and most accessible Franchises Nintendo would choose, just as we thought Castlevania and Splatoon were up there. Nintendo unfortunately does not have many more "new", popular and successful franchises (associated with Nintendo) not already represented in Smash.

Old Franchises:
- Zelda (Skull Kid)
- Pokemon (Incineroar, etc)
- Kirby (BWD/Magalor/Marx)
- Mother (Porky)
- Xenoblade (Elma)

In terms of old franchises, I think the number of popular characters people "want" are that much smaller compared to new ones. A pokemon rep is a likely exception, considering Sun and Moon were in development around the time Smash Ultimate had its roster decided.

I honestly think that our remaining 3-6 newcomers will come from these franchises. I'd love to be surprised though, however I'm not even sure what they could surprise us with unless its just some crazy left field choices like Halo/Doom/etc. lol. There is a much smaller, reasonable pool of characters to choose from.

This is why character predictions are actually much easier to choose this time around, along with Sakurai paying attention to the Ballot.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
In a word, no.

While it's not a topic, here's something I wrote in the Isaac thread that I've been sitting on for a few days (I wrote it the night before the Earthquake, so you can probably see why I held off on posting it here):

Viridi: Just what we need, another Sword Fighter.
Pit: What's wrong with Sword Fighters?
Viridi: What isn't wrong with Sword Fighters? There's just so many nowadays, and they're all so similar! It's infuriating.
Palutena: His use of swords aside, Isaac is a powerful geomancer, watch your footing, Pit. It could slip out right from under you.
Pit: Thanks for the update, Lady Palu-
Viridi: Wait, he's a Geomancer? I've changed my mind, I'm rooting for him now.
Palutena: Oh? I thought Sword Fighters were too abundant and infuriating.
Viridi: That's in the past, this is now.
Pit: It was literally 10 seconds ago.
Viridi: Anyone who fights with the Earth at his back has my support! Go get him, blond-y!
Pit & Palutena: *sigh*
1. oof
2. Viridi keeps on crushing on like...nearly every young anime looking fighter

blazefan519

Smash Ace

Octoling for Inkling and Jeanne for Bayonetta :p

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still going completely with debunked. One exception doesn't make a rule after all.
But also how on Earth would they let that series icon through.
This is a bad mindset to have.

That's like proclaiming that ESRB leak is fake due to "Disablad"

Yeah, it's most likely fake, but there's nothing that flat out debunks it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom