• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Guys. Microsoft will hold their presentation today. If Minecraft content or Banjo Kazooie for Smash would happen, do you think Microsoft would wait with it, or splash out the information tonight?
I feel like at most they'd drop a little hint, like "Be sure to keep your eyes open for more Minecraft/Banjo Kazooie news here at E3", no matter how much they may or may not have cooperated Nintendo will still be the ones calling the shots.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Guys. Microsoft will hold their presentation today. If Minecraft content or Banjo Kazooie for Smash would happen, do you think Microsoft would wait with it, or splash out the information tonight?
Nintendo cause its Smash related news. Would be weird to get Smash news from Microsoft without any gameplay or a different first party newcomer being announced

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like at most they'd drop a little hint, like "Be sure to keep your eyes open for more Minecraft/Banjo Kazooie news here at E3", no matter how much they may or may not have cooperated Nintendo will still be the ones calling the shots.
"You guys like Minecraft, right? Now I don't want to give anything away, but I think you guys should REAAAAAALLY tune in to Nintendo's presentation, particularly the part that involves Smash. *snicker* Oh my gosh, they'll never see it coming!"

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wait because it's not their game. I don't think they'd drop a hint, very out of Nintendo's style of reveals. People want hints and stuff from Nintendo, but they almost never do that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, I know that this conversation was awhile ago, but I wanted to bring up something about Wario's design that wasn't really mentioned, even in the analysis by PushDustin (which, mind, was a fantastic read.)

Note that Wario's entire playstyle is based on WarioWare, not just the individual moves and animations. What I mean is that Wario's fighting style is like a Microgame.

In Smash, Wario has a single, simple, potent killing option that he's always looking for - the fart. It's his win condition. If he gets the opponent with a fart, he kills them. That's his entire gameplan - stall and do damage until an opportunity appears to kill with the fart.

In a Microgame you have a single, simple goal to complete in order to win. Because the games are so fast and back-to-back, the player is expected to constantly be on the lookout for the next command prompt. You have to find out what you need to do for your win condition.

The design of Wario in Smash is intentionally built around the fact that the fart is Wario's only reliable killing option. I believe that this "win condition"-focused playstyle is what convinced Sakurai to remove the shoulder bash; it was a second killing option for a character that was meant to have only one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, I know that this conversation was awhile ago, but I wanted to bring up something about Wario's design that wasn't really mentioned, even in the analysis by PushDustin (which, mind, was a fantastic read.)

Note that Wario's entire playstyle is based on WarioWare, not just the individual moves and animations. What I mean is that Wario's fighting style is like a Microgame.

In Smash, Wario has a single, simple, potent killing option that he's always looking for - the fart. It's his win condition. If he gets the opponent with a fart, he kills them. That's his entire gameplan - stall and do damage until an opportunity appears to kill with the fart.

In a Microgame you have a single, simple goal to complete in order to win. Because the games are so fast and back-to-back, the player is expected to constantly be on the lookout for the next command prompt. You have to find out what you need to do for your win condition.

The design of Wario in Smash is intentionally built around the fact that the fart is Wario's only reliable killing option. I believe that this "win condition"-focused playstyle is what convinced Sakurai to remove the shoulder bash; it was a second killing option for a character that was meant to have only one.
He could have just rebalanced it imo as the shoulder bash was satisfying to hit with, not to mention losing it makes a Wario Land reference get lost

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Maybe this is a competitive vs. casual thing, but I almost never use Wario's fart and have absolutely win matches with him (once again in the more casual scene, but still with items off so Only through his attacks). So yea I've never got that impression from him lol.

?????????????

Smash Master
Not really. It's like Mewtwo's Down+B move... the character turns into stone instead of becoming stunned.
That reminds me...

I wanted them to bring back the trophy stand item from Brawl. My idea was that, when you hit someone with it, they become a trophy, allowing you to pick them up and throw them like an item.

Like being grappled, you can mash buttons to transform back.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

F-tilt and back throw are also pretty reliable for when Wario Waft isn't ready .-.

Burruni

Smash Hero
OK Part 2 time: Melee and Brawl additions.... which is also going to be considerably shorter.
:4marth:
Fire Emblem is in a tricky position. Obviously, the roster got finalized basically on the eaves of Smash 4's DLC. Corrin was just added, Fates had its heated release. IS was probably middling into Echoes, some planning of Heroes, and just starting into the work for FE16. The heat over the series might shy away from a new option being chosen, and FE16 still being considerably off, there isn't much from Mainline. So, as it stands, IF there is a Fire Emblem newcomer which I already think is quite unlikely, I see two real ways it goes.

1: Anna - A kind of a mascot for the series that has made some appearance in all the games but Gaiden and its remake. An odd face of the series always present for big promotional stuff such as the Anniversary Concert where she and Tiki were the only Non-Lords on the cover of the merchandising. Iit took until Awakening to be properly playable, but since has put herself namely in an agile and crafty identity between her classes. Using Swords, Axes, Lances, Staves, and Bows all in her default classes between Awakening (NPC and Playable), Fates, and Heroes, she's got the arsenal to do some interesting things. Not fervently popular however.

2: Fjorn - I see her occasionally brought up, and I just do not see it. She has a unique design and concept of ice + lancer to stand out. However, she's from the 2nd big wave of content for the mobile game. I feel like her creation and implementation of a character would've just been too late if not too insignificant to make it in.

:4gaw::popo::4rob::4duckhunt:
Retro characters. The second least guessable category after the last minute clones, so I'll just do this all as one point. The "Traditional" idea that we see with G&W, ROB, and DH would be an old icon of nintendo tied to a hardware brand of some sort, and I'm hard pressed to really come up with another. Someone like Disccun or Donbe & Hikari for the Famicom Disc System is about the best stretch I can think of. Takamaru has an interesting situation where he might be Ice Climbers or Pit's scenario of being a retro character that can embody a moveset idea/gimmick Sakurai particularly wants, especially after what he said about the character in Smash 4's cycle and now having an international audience of some sort.

:4olimar:
Pikmin 3's still the most recent game to bring anything because Hey! Pikmin is a filler spinoff that didn't really add any new bits to the series. Olimar (and Alph) still embody all of the series' gameplay that is really applicable for Smash and don't see anything on the horizon.

:4pit:
Uprising got enough new stuff. I expect it to sit this time out. Plain and simple.

:4sonic::snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:
Hoo boy third party characters. Honestly, who knows. Barring Bayonetta who has a pretty unique circumstance of Ballot pull and Nintendo having their hands very directly tied to the series now, the other 6 are big gaming icons for either popularizing and founding "standards" for their genre or just being a grandfather in the media's history. Castlevania's one of the few series on this level omitted and feasible for Smash, but Konami being Konami makes me very hesitant about the likelihood of it or Metal Gear being in Smash again. Crash is an interesting case of being one of few Western characters that had a huge following in Japan, albeit partially due to modifying his identity, but the Crash Dance itself is thanks to the japanese advertising campaign. If 2016 had N. Sane Trilogy known to be releasing on the Switch after a window of exclusivity, he could've found himself in the right place at the right time. Rayman... has a shot with how much the series has been doing with Nintendo recently but I hold off because I don't know his presence in Japan which is a huge factor in these decisions. The fact that the only western-made character in the series is the sidekick to a Miyamoto character is something to note. I also don't expect Indies no matter how much people cry for them or the significantly reduced liscencing fees the owners would likely have for them unlike Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, or Konami.
Smash 4's additions and currently-fighterless series coming tomorrow!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Since I learned yesterday that Kojima was actually fine with Snake returning to Smash despite the bs with Konami (he probably feels that Sakurai can treat MGS better in Smash Bros. than Konami themselves with an "actual" MGS game (looking at you, Survive)), I'm all for Snake's return now. That said, more codecs pls.

Greninja:
Snake: ...I've dealt with weird looking people and creatures before in Smash, but Otacon, what the heck is that thing?
Otacon: That "thing" you're referring to is called Greninja, a Water and Dark type Pokémon. It's able to shoot shurikens made of compressed water from its hands, and can make swords from water too.
Snake: So it's some sort of frog ninja... it also seems to wear a scarf, but what is it made of?
Otacon: WAIT SNAKE, DON'T TOUCH IT, THAT'S ITS-
Snake: EUGH, it's all wet and sticky, just what kind of scarf IS THAT?
Otacon: ...that's not a scarf, Snake, that's its tongue.
Snake: ...well, that explains a lot. But why didn't you tell me that earlier?!
Otacon: I-but-you-f-forget it... just make sure to shower after this fight.
Snake: Right.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
On Snake, that actually has me thinking: If Snake returns and if we still have Palutena(doubt she'd be cut) which character info skits will they use between the two? I guess it all depends on getting the VA's back for both segments(Otacon and those two others/Viridi)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

That sounds plausible for what Sakurai was trying to go for, but Wario can kill in many other ways than just wafting, he's got his Up-air, B-air, Back-throw, F-tilt, and U-smash for example lol. I can believe it though, reminder that Sakurai literally said "... he isn’t very good in the air." about Cloud. -source

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That reminds me...

I wanted them to bring back the trophy stand item from Brawl. My idea was that, when you hit someone with it, they become a trophy, allowing you to pick them up and throw them like an item.

Like being grappled, you can mash buttons to transform back.
Nice. I also like the idea of a new type of Assist Trophy where the Assist Trophies are the playable characters in Smash. Imagine if Mario picks up this new Assist Trophy and another Mario appears as an Assist Trophy. Mario as an Assist Trophy would probably fly around in the Sky Pop (the plane from Super Mario Land) and shoot at the opponents.

And it would also kill the "this character appears as an Assist Trophy so they will never be playable in this Smash game" argument. :awesome:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Guys there is this E3 Nintendo leak with all the games they are gonna talk about:
View attachment 147527
Can't wait for that new warioware game.
Obviously fake. The opposite of the proton is NOT the neutron! It would be called "Pokemon Proton" and "Pokemon Electron"! Its 7th grade science!

...but if that was correctly labled, they couldve gotten me. Everything else is perfect. /s

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
One character I'd like to see revamped but at the same time would never believe Sakurai will revamp is Samus. Samus has so many tools in her arsenal but they aren't really displayed. Her charge shot in particular doesn't really look like any of her beams, but there's no way that'll be changed as it's a staple to her Smash character. Her Smash attacks are just a lot of explosive blasts out of her arm cannon. There's gotta be a way to visually change it. She's got so many beams at her disposal but they aren't utilized.
I'd argue that Samus doesn't need a complete revamp. She's already one of the most faithful characters to her original games in the way she moves (her walking, running, jumping, gravity, and weight are all very directly inspired by Super Metroid.)

However, I'd change her charge shot to be a move similar to Robin's Thunder tome, charging up to different beams that Samus has. I'd also make it much faster to charge until it gets to the Charge Shot, which would be the same potent killing move.

First Stage: Power Beam, can be shot in rapid succession by tapping b. (One shot.)

Second Stage: Ice Beam, does more damage than a power beam shot and briefly freezes the opponent. (Three shots.)

Third Stage: Wave Beam, does more damage than a ice beam shot and has better vertical range. (Stream of shots ala Super Metroid)
Wave_Shot.png

Fourth Stage: Spazer Beam, shoots three of the wave beam shots, but each one stays at the same height instead of making a wave. (ala Samus Returns) (three shots)

Fifth Stage: Plasma Beam, does the same as above, but the shots are now plasma shots that do a lot of damage.
MSR_Plasma_Beam.png

Final Stage: Charge Beam, essentially the same as what we have now.

I'd also change her final smash to the Hyper Beam.

This way, she'd have all of her beams and her flexible toolkit would be more represented.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd argue that Samus doesn't need a complete revamp. She's already one of the most faithful characters to her original games in the way she moves (her walking, running, jumping, gravity, and weight are all very directly inspired by Super Metroid.)

However, I'd change her charge shot to be a move similar to Robin's Thunder tome, charging up to different beams that Samus has. I'd also make it much faster to charge until it gets to the Charge Shot, which would be the same potent killing move.

First Stage: Power Beam, can be shot in rapid succession by tapping b. (One shot.)

Second Stage: Ice Beam, does more damage than a power beam shot and briefly freezes the opponent. (Three shots.)

Third Stage: Wave Beam, does more damage than a ice beam shot and has better vertical range. (Stream of shots ala Super Metroid)
View attachment 147534

Fourth Stage: Spazer Beam, shoots three of the wave beam shots, but each one stays at the same height instead of making a wave. (ala Samus Returns) (three shots)

Fifth Stage: Plasma Beam, does the same as above, but the shots are now plasma shots that do a lot of damage.
View attachment 147535

This way, she'd have all of her beams and her flexible toolkit would be more represented.

Samus learned Hyper Beam!

It's super effective

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Nice. I also like the idea of a new type of Assist Trophy where the Assist Trophies are the playable characters in Smash. Imagine if Mario picks up this new Assist Trophy and another Mario appears as an Assist Trophy. Mario as an Assist Trophy would probably fly around in the Sky Pop (the plane from Super Mario Land) and shoot at the opponents.

And it would also kill the "this character appears as an Assist Trophy so they will never be playable in this Smash game" argument. :awesome:
Maybe instead of assist trophy they make it that cherry power up from Mario 3D World (that is where it's from right?) Just limit it to one on the stage at a time and it shouldn't be too much to handle. Would be like any character could be the ice Climbers.

Olo

Smash Cadet
Obviously fake. The opposite of the proton is NOT the neutron! It would be called "Pokemon Proton" and "Pokemon Electron"! Its 7th grade science!

...but if that was correctly labled, they couldve gotten me. Everything else is perfect. /s
The opposite of a proton is not an electron. Sure, they have opposite charge, but their mass isn't even close to similar. Also, a proton is a hadron and an electron is a lepton. The opposite of a proton is an antiproton.

Roberk

Smash Champion
View attachment 147470
Okay buckaroos. Assume that this roster is real and that Daruk is a stand in for your choice of the BotW Champions. How would you react?
Seems pretty standard, I like it. Not too wild and crazy and it stays within the realm of reason while still having awesome inclusion like Snake, Simon, etc. People complain that there are no Kirby characters, but I think Star Allies Dream Friends will help with DLC. I’m just worried about the absolute fit people will through for multiple FE reps. I consider Lyn pretty much a lock for DLC considering her newfound relevancy and popularity. Also hoping for Arms DLC.
Ya know...

That 4chan link made me think of something...

Of all the Smash 4 DLC trailers... Corrin has the least views and most dislikes...

Do you think that will affect anything?
I’m not going to link them because I’m on my phone and they are a google away if you want to make sure, but the statement that Corrin’s reveal trailer out of all of the DLC characters has the least views is just wrong. Mewtwo has about ~750,000 views, and he got a head start by being the first DLC. Ryu has just ~1,000,000 views and Roy has ~1,100,000 being revealed at the same time months ahead of Corrin. Corrin has ~1,300,000 views. The top viewed DLC videos are Lucas at ~1,500,000, Cloud at ~1,600,000, and Bayonetta at ~2,300,000 views (dang, girl!).

I have no doubt that Corrin has the most dislikes considering their controversy, but for a Japanese-chess-game-sword-boi they held up their own against popular fan favorites and mascots of entire genres.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The opposite of a proton is not an electron. Sure, they have opposite charge, but their mass isn't even close to similar. Also, a proton is a hadron and an electron is a lepton. The opposite of a proton is an antiproton.
The sun isn't the opposite of the moon either, but they make a good dichotomy. If PKMN actually did go with sub-atomic particles, they'd definitely go for proton/electron because they're the more accessible complementary pair.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
and other hilarious jokes you can tell yourself.

Seriously, how did he expect Cloud's Up air to not be good?
Last I've checked, Cloud's up aerial isn't exactly a quick KO maker, as it doesn't start KOing Mario on Battlefield's center platform until some point after 135% damage.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He could have just rebalanced it imo as the shoulder bash was satisfying to hit with, not to mention losing it makes a Wario Land reference get lost
Maybe this is a competitive vs. casual thing, but I almost never use Wario's fart and have absolutely win matches with him (once again in the more casual scene, but still with items off so Only through his attacks). So yea I've never got that impression from him lol.
F-tilt and back throw are also pretty reliable for when Wario Waft isn't ready .-.
That sounds plausible for what Sakurai was trying to go for, but Wario can kill in many other ways than just wafting, he's got his Up-air, B-air, Back-throw, F-tilt, and U-smash for example lol. I can believe it though, reminder that Sakurai literally said "... he isn’t very good in the air." about Cloud. -source
Okay, I see that I miscommunicated myself a little. Fart is not Wario's only killing option, but it's (meant to be) his only powerful and potent killing option, which the rest of the character's playstyle is (meant to be) built around.

It's meant to be his win condition, is what I'm getting at. You don't have to use it to kill, but it's the most fundamental part of his character.

(Note: I'm not arguing that the shoulder bash shouldn't be in, I just wanted to highlight the similarities between Wario in Smash and WarioWare Microgames.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Last I've checked, Cloud's up aerial isn't exactly a quick KO maker, as it doesn't start KOing Mario on Battlefield's center platform until some point after 135% damage.
It's not infamous for it's KO capabilities, but rather it's deceptively fast, long ranged, and has a lasting hitbox, making it a very versatile move.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Instead of thinking 2 more days. I think of it like 1 more day until 1 more day. That last sleep is gonna be the toughest part. I can manage to pass the days relatively easily. It helps to set goals to look forward to each day. Today is another E3 conference. Regardless of if it's good or not it passes the time and makes Nintendo's direct closer and closer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, I see that I miscommunicated myself a little. Fart is not Wario's only killing option, but it's (meant to be) his only powerful and potent killing option, which the rest of the character's playstyle is (meant to be) built around.

It's meant to be his win condition, is what I'm getting at. You don't have to use it to kill, but it's the most fundamental part of his character.

(Note: I'm not arguing that the shoulder bash shouldn't be in, I just wanted to highlight the similarities between Wario in Smash and WarioWare Microgames.)
Oh I got the point, I just feel like Sakurai approached it the wrong way

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
After Mega Man I feel like Samus is really disappointing in how they function in Smash.

Most changes I'd make aren't huge moveset changes as much as just changing how existing moves work, for example:

Pressing B for Neutral Special should be a regular shot, you can spam it a few times like Mega Man's have to shoot multiple times or you can hold it to charge it up and move with it.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm late to the discussion but honestly I didn't find Snake's codecs very entertaining and I hope Palutena's Guidance returns instead. Snake just isn't a very appealing character to me but with Palutena, Pit and Viridi they're all goofier and have better relations with each other, hence naming the discussions more lively and humorous.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

View attachment 147534

View attachment 147535

I'd ditch Spazer, at least. I think you have too many stages in there, and it would either take too long to reach the Charge shot, or the section for each stage would go by too fast, making it hard to choose a certain beam.

Also:
1528646364591.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom