• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metablaze

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping no one gets cut from the current roster because the wii u roster is growing on me and I would hate to see any of them leave even though some of them are complete clones but I don't mind that.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Stealing a game idea from ResetERA and Gamefaqs.

Pick one series currently in Smash and double the amount of characters that series has (that are all newcomers). For example, you can pick a series with 1 character such as F-Zero and add 1 newcomer, or you can create mountains of hypothetical salt by pick Mario or FE and add on 6 more newcomers to the series.

My primary choice is F-Zero.

Put in Black Shadow, give him Ganondorf's current moveset and... well, I'm sure you know the rest.

As a secondary option, I'd pick Mother/Earthbound, with Ninten and Flint as additional characters.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Oh, totslly forgot to post this:

I just combined some CGI from the previous game with the silhouette. Still needs some touching up. I need a decent face shot of BOTW Link to go off of in order to do that one.
IT'S MARIO?!

Cancelling my pre-order.

Roberk

Smash Champion
This actually makes me really made. The Zelda series characters stink in Smash. I mean Captaindorf says it all. And even though Zelda games sell way more than FE games they get new characters each game but Zelda doesn't. The "non returning" thing is BS because because FE characters are one shots too. Its its not like Zelda characters dont have moveset potential. I mean lord almighty link has used how many different types of items and yet Sakurai cant think of anything to add from one of Nintendo's most important series.

I'm going to go into a corner and zen. This makes me so mad. But really I think after all is said and done in this version of Smash the Zelda series is the one that deserves 2 new character additions the most.
Ike is featured in 2 games. Marth is featured across 4 games. Roy and Corrin were added as promotions since they were main characters of their games. Robin was the player avatar in Awakening and Lucina was easy to implement and massively popular and important to Awakening's plot.

Even though the ones other than Marth and Ike are only in "one game" (Corrin's in three games in a way) they are main characters of the games that are being featured and that's just not comparable to Zelda games. LoZ is consistently the triforce wielders Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Kind of like Mario, Peach, and Bowser. There might have a few side villains in some games and fan-favorite side-quests but Zelda games as a whole focus on and promote the main 3. This is the difference between FE "one-shots" and Zelda "one-shots", FE characters have a full game's worth of story, character development, and combat for movesets while Zelda characters other than the triforce wielders just aren't as comparably important. Link does the fighting, Link uses the items, and Zelda/Ganondorf get in for being the returning damsel in distress/villain. A Zelda newcomer would have to be just as about as important as Link/Zelda/Ganondorf and that's just not possible. The champions are close, but it's still a stretch.

Just having more reps added isn't the problem. Zelda as a series focuses on the adventures of Link saving Zelda and defeating Ganondorf. FE as a series revolves around a cast of many developed characters for each installment. Zelda newcomers have diminishing returns because at their core they are not as important as the main characters while each FE rep has been a main character.

D

Deleted member

Pick one series currently in Smash and double the amount of characters that series has (that are all newcomers). For example, you can pick a series with 1 character such as F-Zero and add 1 newcomer, or you can create mountains of hypothetical salt by pick Mario or FE and add on 6 more newcomers to the series.

Put in Black Shadow, give him Ganondorf's current moveset and... well, I'm sure you know the rest.

As a secondary option, I'd pick Mother/Earthbound, with Ninten and Flint as additional characters.
you can create mountains of hypothetical salt by pick Mario or FE and add on 6 more newcomers to the series.
Okay.

Fire Emblem

1. Marth
2. Roy
3. Ike
4. Robin
5. Lucina
6. Corrin

7. Celica
8. Alm
9. Sigurd
10. Leif
11. Lyn
12. Ephraim

:troll:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think we call agree this is the 100% safest guess on the roster no matter what.

As for the question, I'll double Earthbound's newcomers:

1. Ness
2. Lucas

3. Giegue
4. Kumatora

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Donkey Kong - add in Dixie and K. Rool.

If that's too easy/obvious of an answer, then I'd go with Final Fantasy and add Terra from FF6 - she seems well-suited to showing off Final Fantasy's magic system.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So we're gonna play that game eh? I'll do it for two series since I'm that bored

Pokemon

1. Pikachu
2. Charizard
3. Jigglypuff
4. Lucario
5. Greninja
6. Mewtwo

Newomcers

1. Gengar
2. Decidueye
3. Garvedoir
4. Aggron
5. Haxorus
6. Heracross

Now we will have all 7 generations represented here booyah!

Donkey Kong

1. DK
2. Diddy

Newcomers

1. King K Rool
2. Dixie

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really don't expecting Link or Zelda to change that much tbh, some new specials maybe but that's it really. I really don't expect them to play like brand new characters.
I don’t expect an overhaul for Link, but I do for Zelda.

Her kit in Smash is trash and has been for a loooong time. Her change in outfit, such as the fact that she isn’t wearing a dress, can allow for more free movement, like some kicks for example.

She could also use the Champion abilities rather than Din, Nayru, and Farore.

Frankly I just see this as the most opportune time to do it.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I'll double the Pokemon:

1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
4. Lucario
5. Charizard
6. Greninja
7. Breloom
8. Haxorus
9. Primarina
10. Gengar
11. Eevee
12. Hydreigon

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Double the characters of Donkey Kong, K. Rool and Dixie.

Alternate: Double Yoshi, add Kamek.

Double alternate 2: Electric Boogaloo: Double Kirby, Waddle Dee, Adeleine, and Marx. :4morton:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I think my personal reasonable choice would be DK, with the ever popular Dixie and K. Rool being added. I’d also be more than fine with Metroid, getting Ridley and Anthony Higgs (because funnee meme man).

For a crazier one I’d do Zelda because of the sheer amount of unique potential newcomers.
Five newcomers:
- Ganon
- Skull Kid
- Tingle
- Impa (her old BotW self, using techniques inspired by the DLC monk boss)
- Midna & Wolf Link

Ah what the heck, Kirby too:
Three newcomers:
- Bandana Dee
- Marx
- Magalor

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don’t expect an overhaul for Link, but I do for Zelda.

Her kit in Smash is trash and has been for a loooong time. Her change in outfit, such as the fact that she isn’t wearing a dress, can allow for more free movement, like some kicks for example.

She could also use the Champion abilities rather than Din, Nayru, and Farore.

Frankly I just see this as the most opportune time to do it.
Honestly, I like Zelda having her current moveset and the goddess powers. It fits her character as she is typically a regal princess and descendant of Hylia. I think there needs to be some kind of overhaul, but I'd honestly like her to keep her moveset, just buffed dramatically. A Champion-style moveset would be interesting. But I'd rather her stick with her goddess powers.

Honestly, as long as something is done to Zelda, whether it's a total moveset overhaul or just a lot of buffs, I'll be content. She's been absolute **** since 2001.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just came up with a concept for a Link "revamp."

Link plays exactly the same as before but with a new gimmick.

Champion Abilities.

Instead of replacing moves with them, they'd work like they already do in BotW, augmenting Link's existing abilities.

Nabooru 2: Electric Boogaloo - When you fully charge a smash attack, Link releases a miniature version of Urbosa's Fury that stuns enemies directly next to him. This can be used three times before needing to recharge.

Ravioli's Wind - Charging a spin attack in the air will release Revali's Gale, sending Link soaring upwards. This can be used three times before needing to recharge. Link's spin attack will function as normal while this is charging.

Darumania's Nope - When shielding, Daruk's Protection will replace Link's bubble shield. For three attacks, this will function as a perfect shield without the timing window before needing to recharge. Link will revert to the standard shield while this charges.

Red Ruto's Fairy - I dunno, I guess she just shows up when Link respawns after a death?

Also the clawshot is just blue and glowy, boomerang is just a normal rang, and bombs are remote.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt BotW Link will be a new character, most like he will be the newest iteration and his moves updated accordingly.

I am pretty sure that Sakurai went out of his way to give all the new characters reveal trailers in the last game. The inklings just got their own so I think that pattern will hold up.

Troykv

Smash Master

Okay :p

F-Zero

1.- Captain Falcon

2.- Black Shadow (WATASHI WA SHINEN? SHINENZU)

Fire Emblem

1.- Marth
2.- Roy
3.- Ike
4.- Robin
5.- Lucina
6.- Corrin

7.- Micaiah
8.- Celica
9.- Ephraim/Azura
10.- Hector
11.- Sigurd
12.- Lyn

Yeah... :p

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can we all agree regardless of what the final roster is, everyone is going to complain about how bad it is and how nostalgic and fitting Smash For roster feels?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'll double the Dragon Ball characters

0-

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Can we all agree regardless of what the final roster is, everyone is going to complain about how bad it is and how nostalgic and fitting Smash For roster feels?
Not I.

Says the guy who legit just buys whatever Sakurai is selling.

*glares at Dark Pit and Pichu*

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord

I’m going to be a complete troll and do them all.
Mario series:
7 veterans
Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Geno, Daisy, Birdo, and King Boo.

Yoshi series:
1 veteran
Kamek

Donkey Kong series:
2 veterans
King K. Rool and Dixie Kong

Wario series:
1 veteran
Ashley

Game and Watch series:
1 veteran
Ummmm............one of the turtles from “turtle bridge”.

Punch Out series:
1 veteran
Mr. Sandman

Zelda series:
6 veterans including Young Link
Mipha, Midna, Skull Kid, Zant, Fi, and Ghost Zelda from Spirit Tracks.

Metroid series:
2 veterans
Ridley and Rundas

Kid Icarus series:
3 veterans
Viridi, Medusa, and Hades

Fire Emblem series:
6 veterans
Azura, Caeda, Anna, Celica, Fjorm, and Chrom

Duck Hunt series:
1 veteran
....................The tree????

Kirby series:
3 veterans
Bandanna Dee, Magolar, and Landia

Star Fox series:
3 veterans including Wolf
Krystal, Peppy, and Leon

Pokemon series:
9 veterans including Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.
Mimikyu, Decidueye, Primarina, Incineroar, Meowth, Zoroark, Garchomp, Eevee and Venomoth for the heck of it.

Gyromite series:
1 veteran
Dr. Hector

Mother series:
2 veterans
Clause, and Kumatora

F-Zero series:
1 veteran
Black Shadow

Animal Crossing series:
1 veteran
Isabelle

Pikmin series:
1 veteran
Alph as a stand alone character with his own move pool.

Wii Fit series:
1 veteran
Male Wii Fit Trainer as a stand alone character with his own move pool.

Xenoblade series:
1 veteran
Rex and Pyra team

Pac-Man series:
1 veteran
Inky

Megaman series:
1 veteran
Zero

Sonic series:
1 veteran
Tails

Street Fighter series:
1 veteran
Chun-Li

Final Fantasy series:
1 veteran
Lightning

Bayonetta series:
1 veteran
Jeanne

Metal Gear series:
1 veteran
Raiden

Ice Climber series:
1 veteran
The Condor

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I definitely don't see him staying left handed since he's based on Breath of the Wild. Even Twilight Princess had Link as a lefty in the GameCube version to justify him staying that way in Smash...that's not the case now.
Trailer shows he is right handed, and he's been right handed for two console games now.
I'm okay if Link doesn't have a green tunic alt and partially okay with him being right handed so long as Toon Link is still in the roster, which I'm guessing he will be. That way we get the more modern approach on the character and a more traditional green clothed and left handed Link.
Iconic it may be but the green tunic is old and busted.

Give Link that hot newness.

The green tunic can be an alt.

I'm just a bitter left handed, green loving, keep Link the same, old man I guess.

Nobody respects us south paws!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I mean if any one of my most wanted get in I won't say a word...unless they leave Cloud in the exact way he is now...then I'mma be a sad, salty sun-uv-ah-gun.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean if any one of my most wanted get in I won't say a word...unless they leave Cloud in the exact way he is now...then I'mma be a sad, salty sun-uv-ah-gun.
They could leave him exactly same and buff pretty much everyone else.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Im going with Zelda, add impa, mipha, tetra, midna, skull kid and vaati

Also botw literally HAS a green tunic outift, give him that as an alt and we’re all good imo

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
They could leave him exactly same and buff pretty much everyone else.
They could yeah. I don't really care how they handle it just so long as they do.

The amount of times I play against him in tournament is infuriating. Especially when it feels the entire match is an uphill battle every single time. ****s draining, man. They gotta do something in 5 to make him more tolerable.

Anyway sorry for the mini rant. Dropping the salt talk now.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
My god I am starved for information. I need to know SOMETHING about this game. I'd settle for anything, really. A shot of this iteration's Battlefield. A picture of the Capsule item. Mario's model.

Gah. 39 days feels like an eternity of waiting.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
My god I am starved for information. I need to know SOMETHING about this game. I'd settle for anything, really. A shot of this iteration's Battlefield. A picture of the Capsule item. Mario's model.

Gah. 39 days feels like an eternity of waiting.
We've reached a point where literally any form of news will sate us, so I'm pretty sure that when we get the big bomb of news at E3, our bodies will be incapable of handling it all at once.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

Primary choice is def Xenoblade: add Elma

But just for the salt, Fire Emblem: add Celica, Lyn, Tsubasa, Chrom, Eirika and whoever the protagonist of FE Switch is :p

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Pick 6 newcomers from Mario or Fire Emblem you say...

Fire Emblem
1.Marth
2.Roy
3.Ike
4.Robin
5.Lucina
6.Corrin

7.Anna
8.Celica
9.Azura
10.Tiki
11.Hector
12.Ephraim

Also I'll do Sonic the Hedgehog.

1.Sonic

2.Knuckles

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Mario has seven reps, so let's double that

Captain Toad
Paper Mario
Daisy
Waluigi
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Dr. Luigi

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

1st series I'd double - Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong and K. Rool (Though my personal feelings still remain mixed on him...)
Dixie has some elements borrowed from Diddy like weight and speed, but is still a completely unique newcomer using her hair as a whip, or even summoning the Animal Friends. K. Rool is K. Rool - no need to explain.

Other franchises I'd bump are relatively small in comparison.
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra (1 character)
Metroid: Ridley and Dark Samus
Sonic: Tails or Eggman
Bayonetta: Jeanne, Rodin or Father Balder
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth or Tifa
Pikmin: Louie

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Since nearly anything seems possible, how would you all feel about a Blizzard rep in Smash?

I mean it won't happen but they were an essential company for me growing up.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Since nearly anything seems possible, how would you all feel about a Blizzard rep in Smash?

I mean it won't happen but they were an essential company for me growing up.
If we see something like Overwatch coming to the Switch at E3, something that I think will never happen, I could see them letting Sakurai have Tracer in Smash. She would have an interesting mechanic in her time jumping ability and does not have realistic guns, so that'd help.

Realistically though, there is no reason we will see a Blizzard rep in this game.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Have 6 Mii Fighters. Best roster ever. :4miif:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I've finished gathering all of your stage suggestions - 152 in total!

Here are the top 20 most frequently submitted stage ideas:
Number one is - no surprise - New Donk City, from Super Mario Odyssey.
Coming in second place is the long-awaited Bowser's Castle stage.
Bowser’s Castle needs to happen. It’s long overdue.

My favorite version is the one from Super Mario RPG.

And when they reach the top, they face Exor. Stage hazards come from Exor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom