• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've just given up on who to expect and not to expect.

Literally the only people who would not shock me to a degree at this point are Nook and Isabelle. And that's because they're just huge and everyone on this board sleeps on them because ''ANIMAL CROSSING HAS LIMITED MOVESET POTENTIAL."

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Toon Link is not getting killed off.

Wind Waker is a popular installment.

Also Sakurai himself has legit said he feels the need to have a child Link in the roster as it's an important concept in the Zelda series.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I've just given up on who to expect and not to expect.

Literally the only people who would not shock me to a degree at this point are Nook and Isabelle. And that's because they're just huge and everyone on this board sleeps on them because ''ANIMAL CROSSING HAS LIMITED MOVESET POTENTIAL."
I reckon Isabelle has a very real chance to be playable in this game. I mean she probably organised Villagers' contract for the first game, it would not be very surprising if she slipped one in for herself for this one :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Maybe Toon Link or Classic Link will be killed off from the roster. 2 Links shouldn't piss you off.
But I'll miss toon link then...honestly 2 adult links in general just sounds dumb. And I want breath of the wild Zelda too. Honestly though how different could Link and Wild Link be to begin with?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The only character I was counting on for sure were the Inklings, and guess what?

I wonder if Smash 5's E3 trailer will just start up where we left off, with all the characters and the fire.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Older post before BotW Link was revealed.

Wooohoo! I choose you: Breath of the Wild Link!

• Upgrades from Moblin Club to weapons with better range and attack as Link lands hits. His previous weapon will shatter after accumulating enough whacks.

• Magnesis ability that can move an underground metal chest back and forth along the ground to pop opponents skyward. Chest explodes out of the earth and opens to reveal the best weapon BotW Link can have in battle. He must collect it in order for usage. Any BotW Link can collect it.

• Stamina wheel side B that allows Link to run extra fast, scale walls and glide.

• Lord of the Mountain mount that Link can fire arrows off while running along the field

• Down Smash that makes a campfire. Size of fire depends on charge. Creates updrafts that gliding Link can ride.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
BOTW Link won't be a new character. He was among the shadows with other veterans. It's a nonsensical idea that needs to die. The most that will happen is moveset changes for Link.

D

Deleted member

I'm 99.99% sure BotW Link will be just as much of a newcomer as TP Link was in Brawl; simply a different artstyle/design/incarnation and probably a few minor moveset tweaks. And simply be called Link.

Metablaze

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in what the new super smash bros switch theme is gonna be like since they changed the theme for each game of smash

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm 99.99% sure BotW Link will be just as much of a newcomer as TP Link was in Brawl; simply a different artstyle/design/incarnation and probably a few minor moveset tweaks. And simply be called Link.
The thing is BoTW changed a lot of the Zelda formula. There's a lot of potential for a major rehaul of him.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle from Zelda as a playable character. That would be hilarious.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The thing is BoTW changed a lot of the Zelda formula. There's a lot of potential for a major rehaul of him.
In terms of specials yeah but there's no reason to change his normals, yes the game had many other weapons but the sword is still his main one so there's no need to change 90% of his moveset. And I don't think anyone wants breakable weapons lol.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link is not getting killed off.

Wind Waker is a popular installment.

Also Sakurai himself has legit said he feels the need to have a child Link in the roster as it's an important concept in the Zelda series.
He said that because he was hinting at the split timeline before it was confirmed to be a thing. But now thats not something Zelda seems to be focusing on anymore.

That being said Toon Link will return its just that your argument is flawed.

D

Deleted member

I mean, Link was shown with Mario and a bunch of veterans. Why on Earth would a new character be shown like that? It's just a costume change with potential for a few moveset changes, nothing more.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The new Zelda character may have already been revealed. Breath of the Wild Link.
So.. .BotW Link is actually a new character.
I can actually see that happening, but many might dislike the idea.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not saying BotW Link (separate character) wouldn't be unique. I mean, he has plenty of obvious moveset potential, but...

That's a serious lack of creativity on Sakurai's part if the best he can come up with is a third (technically fourth) Link. If he's going to go through all the trouble to add a Zelda newcomer, he might as well add someone different.

Personally, I'd just like Link to be left alone. He's had the same core moveset for four games now, and most of what he has right now still represents BotW pretty well. I doubt a Champion ability or rune would be a better choice to represent Link than his bow or spin attack.

I suggest Sakurai change the bombs to Sheikah Bombs and leave the rest alone.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
There is one problem for Pichu though, and that's the fact that various gaming communities show massive amount of hatred towards it for not only being among the worst fighters in Melee, but also because it damages itself while using a good portion of its attack options.
Being hated is not a problem at all.

The opinions of hyper cynical fanbases consisting of teenagers are worth nothing compared to supportive fans and their love of characters. Otherwise Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina wouldn't exist.

Sakurai is not one to give in to the demand of haters and let them push him and his fans around.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I believe the “newcomers” from the Zelda series will be BOTW Link and a revamped BOTW Zelda.

While I do not judge for wanting a Champion playable (despite not getting why Smashboards seems to be obsessed with them) I would be careful in expecting one playable. We’re probably getting changes to at least two, so to expect work on effectively 3 new Zelda characters? I’m not sure how likely that is to happen.

The Champions seem to me like the Midna, Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Zant, and Ghirahim of Smash Switch. A ton of people expect them, but they may just as well be part of the game in some other fashion.

Truthfully, I like the Champions. I just don’t know that they’re really going to be playable. I don’t know that them being Assist Trophies (yes, all four) would be that bad either.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I believe the “newcomers” from the Zelda series will be BOTW Link and a revamped BOTW Zelda.

While I do not judge for wanting a Champion playable (despite not getting why Smashboards seems to be obsessed with them) I would be careful in expecting one playable. We’re probably getting changes to at least two, so to expect work on effectively 3 new Zelda characters? I’m not sure how likely that is to happen.

The Champions seem to me like the Midna, Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Zant, and Ghirahim of Smash Switch. A ton of people expect them, but they may just as well be part of the game in some other fashion.

Truthfully, I like the Champions. I just don’t know that they’re really going to be playable. I don’t know that them being Assist Trophies (yes, all four) would be that bad either.
I really don't expecting Link or Zelda to change that much tbh, some new specials maybe but that's it really. I really don't expect them to play like brand new characters.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Even though I fully support Mipha, I think Midna or Skull Kid would both be much more logical inclusions. At this point, both have shown to retain lasting appeal among the Zelda fanbase. Both of their games received remakes, both were in Hyrule Warriors, both have ATs, and both received decent support from what we could see during the ballot. I think either of them would be wonderful additions to the Zelda roster, and come with way less controversy than a champion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sounds like Sceptile to me. Not only that, FE got such a hay day last game and honestly there isnt that much moveset potential to pull from. Making a FE character requires creativity which you could use on other series.
Sceptile isn't an apt comparison at all.

Most of Sceptile's support came from a "complete the starter types" bandwagon based on faulty logic over how Sakurai picks the roster. The support is all but dead now. Meanwhile we know Sakurai looks to add recent Fire Emblem characters.

Sceptile wasn't even the most popular starter of Hoenn (hello, Blaziken), never mind Pokémon over all, while Celica is shown to be empirically popular.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out in an awkward timeframe where it was too late for the base roster, but too early for DLC promotion, similar to Dixie. SoV's development lines up nicely with Smash's.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were very faithful remakes of games that were already popular and released worldwide. Shadows of Valentia was a full-scale reimagining of an obscure Japan-only NES game, so for more people it was totally new.

And moveset potential is a non-issue, as Celica lends herself really well to a moveset. I could post mine again if you need proof. And for the record I fully anticipate at least one Fire Emblem cut (likely Roy) due to Sakurai's words about Corrin.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking Sakurai isn't adding ANYONE from Fire Emblem.

I think he knows he overstepped with Corrin and he's gonna let the series rest this installment.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Oh, totslly forgot to post this:

I just combined some CGI from the previous game with the silhouette. Still needs some touching up. I need a decent face shot of BOTW Link to go off of in order to do that one.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I really don't understand the logic of revamping Link to match BoTW. It seems asinine to completely rework how he functions to suit one game in the series when his base kit has always represented his many incarnations in the series despite having a heavy twilight princess aesthetic. Of all the veterans imo he is the last one in need for a rework and has pretty much always been a pretty faithful representation of his character.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The day Wolf Link gets in is the day I eat my hat while singing the Twilight Princess theme on Kazoo.

*Gulp*

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I really don't understand the logic of revamping Link to match BoTW. It seems asinine to completely rework how he functions to suit one game in the series when his base kit has always represented his many incarnations in the series despite having a heavy twilight princess aesthetic. Of all the veterans imo he is the last one in need for a rework and has pretty much always been a pretty faithful representation of his character.
I agree with this completely. I do think Link needs some buffs, and he could certainly utilize certain elements from BotW (like the design of bombs, Wild Tunic, etc.) but I can't see a total overhaul.

Him or Zelda. I think the moves they have represent their character in the LoZ franchise as a whole: Link with his arsenal and Zelda with her magic/relation to the goddesses, further bolstered by her being a descendant to Hylia.
The day Wolf Link gets in is the day I eat my hat while singing the Twilight Princess theme on Kazoo.

*Gulp*
Ooh I can't wait to quote you on this ;)

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If I were to pick a new Zelda character I think I would go with Lana, Linkle, Tingle, Skull Kid, Ghost Zelda, Tetra, Vaati, Midna & Wolf Link, Ravio, Medli, one or two of the champions (preferably Mipha), Ruto, Impa, Agitha, Fi or Malon because that'd be a funny joke character.

Changes I would make to existing characters is...

Link: After doing his :GCU::GCB: he pulls out the paraglider. His shield can now reflect projectiles. He has costumes for Oot, TP and SS Link along with Gerudo disguise Link because why not? His Final Smash is one of the divine beast or a Guardian.

Zelda: She has a new :GCD::GCB:. Her :GCU::GCB: covers more distance.

Ganondorf: His :GCB: is an energy ball. His :GCR::GCB: is similar to Mario's where he uses his cape to reflect projectiles. His :GCU::GCB: is floating upwards. His :GCD::GCB: is a punch to the ground causing a shock-wave. His Final Smash is OoT Ganon and you control him like Giga Bowser. All his :GCA: attacks involve magic and swords.

Toon Link: Give him the deku leaf after his :GCU::GCB:. Give his down taunt a hitbox.

Young Link: His :GCU::GCB: has him become a Deku Scrub and shoot up using a deku flower. His :GCR::GCB: is becoming a Zora and shooting his boomerang fins. His :GCD::GCB: has him become a Goron and ground pound. His up taunt has him take out his ocarina and play a random song from OoT or MM. His side taunt is his taunt from Melee. His down taunt has him put on the Keaton mask. His Final Smash is the Great Deity. His costumes are the originals from Melee, HW Young Link, wearing the mask of truth, Dark Young Link and the Giant mask.

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Link needs to stay the same. The champion tunic should just be a costume. The green tunic is much more important and iconic. Also, he needs to stay left handed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Are we talking Zelda newcomers?

I'm rooting for Agitha despite her chances being -1%. Why? Let's just say Hyrule Warriors happened.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Link needs to stay the same. The champion tunic should just be a costume. The green tunic is much more important and iconic. Also, he needs to stay left handed.
I definitely don't see him staying left handed since he's based on Breath of the Wild. Even Twilight Princess had Link as a lefty in the GameCube version to justify him staying that way in Smash...that's not the case now.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Are we talking Zelda newcomers?

I'm rooting for Agitha despite her chances being -1%. Why? Let's just say Hyrule Warriors happened.
Yes give me my bug princess. She is a legit top 10 want for me.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Trailer shows he is right handed, and he's been right handed for two console games now.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm okay if Link doesn't have a green tunic alt and partially okay with him being right handed so long as Toon Link is still in the roster, which I'm guessing he will be. That way we get the more modern approach on the character and a more traditional green clothed and left handed Link.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Iconic it may be but the green tunic is old and busted.

Give Link that hot newness.

The green tunic can be an alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom