• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty much in a similar boat.

Got many characters I actually cared about in Brawl, but unlike with you in Cloud, I didn't really get anyone in Smash 4. Anyone new at least.
Mewtwo was really the only reveal that I truly felt "hype" for a specific character for Smash 4.

Rather pessimistic of the future for Smash Switch in regards to characters I actually "want".
One thing that even I can notice about the characters I really care about: Diddy, Cloud, Isaac, Krystal, Banjo, even ones like Bomberman or Skull Kid... they all come from or were notably prominent roughly in the same era; a pretty formative time for my tastes, I suppose. There are newer characters that are cool, I was happy about seeing the likes of Palutena and Inkling included, but it's hard to hold a candle to the ones you grew up with back when you could sink forever into a game.

Once we get a roster without any personal highlights, while the futures of the characters of whom I care about remain dim, the lure of speculation probably won't shine quite as bright. I already abstain from trying to predict the roster, past a few plausible guesses it all seems rather nebulous to me.

Aww this is giving me memories. I remember I heard and got into Smash Bros. During the early Brawl days.
I was really excited for Subspace and I loved it, and I thought the fact of fighting bosses were really cool.

And now look where I am, a very good Smash Bros. player who spends the majority of his life in a website dedicated to it. I do not go into tournaments or anything, but I play people online or others who I find across the way.

Also I never get salty at all. I am a good sport.

Honestly, I am excited for Smash Bros. Switch even if my favorite newcomer becomes an Assist Trophy. I love any Smash Bros game in general, and I hope they can make the most out of it.
During the early Brawl days wouldn't you have been like 4?

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
Gonna throw my hat into the ring and list my wishes:
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Incineroar
  • F-Type (Stunt Race FX)
  • Isaac
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Bomberman
  • Simon Belmont
  • Tails
Honestly I think about 3 of the ones I listed could come true, but at this point it's a shot in the dark.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I was 16 when Brawl was announced and heavily into the speculation. I remember joining my first ever forum, which is now defunct, just so I could talk about it.

Brawl was a really exciting speculation to be honest. The Dojo rocked.

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
If we are all listing our wishes then here were/are mine.

Smash 4:
  • Mega Man
  • Little Mac
  • Greninja
  • Vaati
  • Toad
  • Shovel Knight (DLC)
This time around:
  • K Rool
  • Proto Man
  • Geno
  • Decidueye
  • Impa

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's never too early for a kid to play Smash Bros. ;)
You should have a word with the rating boards. xp

All I'm saying is his wording implies he was anticipating the game at age... three?

I was 16 when Brawl was announced and heavily into the speculation. I remember joining my first ever forum, which is now defunct, just so I could talk about it.

Me too. :)
Well not the 16 part, but joining a defunct forum.

Also Brawl speculation was my favourite. The Dojo was incredible, so much better than the PotD, though I can understand why something like that may not be tenable. It must've been so much (largely unnecessary) work. Also the Brawl newcomers are imo, the best pool of newcomers within the series.

Last edited:

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Since we're doing old and new wishlists:
I was too young for Brawl spectulation, but I was really excited about playing as Lucario and Pit.

My Smash 4 wishlist was:
  • Mewtwo
  • Palutena
  • Robin
  • Ridley
  • Shulk
  • A Gen 6 Pokemon (I wanted Sylveon but I was happy with Greninja)
My current Smash 5 wishlist is:
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Mimikyu or Lycanroc
  • Wolf
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Ridley is kind of a holdover from last time but I'm not really a Metroid fan. I just want Sakurai to add another major villain with a cool design.
I already got Inkling, who was in my top 5. Now I just hope they get some Slosher attacks to represent my favourite weapon.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh my old wishlist eh?

• Barbara the Bat
  • Dillon
  • Starfy
  • Ridley
  • Little Mac (got in!)
  • Pac-Man (got in!)
I think that was it.

D

Deleted member

One of the first characters i ever wanted in Smash was Crash Bandicoot, and that was back like in..........2010 i think? Hard to believe he's now seen as one of the most likely Third Parties in the eyes of some people (which i disagree but whatever)

Really i only started having a wishlist after Smash 4 was announced at E3. I remember sketching up movesets for Characters i wanted like Simon Belmont, Waluigi, Lip, Mike Jones and K.Rool.

Out of all the character i wanted for Smash 4's base roster, i only got Mewtwo and Lil'Mac.

When DLC rolled around Roy and Wolf were in my top 10 DLC choices (the others were Simon Belmont, Isaac, K.Rool, Inkling, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, Bomberman and...........i dont' remember the last one, i have been interesed in so many characters like Takamaru, Prince Sable and others up to the poini can't keep track of) but only Roy made it in.

I have lost ineterest in some characters i wanted (Inklings because i stopped caring about Splatoon, Paper Mario because the franchise was no longer what it once was) and i have become far more "conservative" when it comes to Third Parties. Back then i used to like almost every third party possible but now after seeing how guest characters can go out of control in other fighting games.........i have become far more restrictive. I used to want Rayman, now im not interesed (though it may because i never had that much interest in Rayman in the first place, and as such i may have been "bandwagoning" him, and i feel like an idiot for doing that).

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Ah, newcomers. In Melee I didn't know the vast majority of Nintendo characters - I got it because I saw Mario and Pikachu and wanted whatever game they were both in. As such, I didn't know most of the characters in Melee or the newcomers - though to this day I still remember the electrifying feeling when Mewtwo popped up as a challenger.

Move on to Brawl and I kept up to date a bit more - I knew more characters and followed the DoJo. Metaknight was a favourite prerelease, as was the Pokémon Trainer. I recognised ROB from Mario Kart DS and thought he was a cool addition - and of course Sonic blew my mind.

3DS/Wii U is the first game I followed intensely. In terms of characters the only one I followed intensely was King K. Rool. Of the characters we got, none of them really blew my mind - I was happy to see Pac-Man and thought Rosalina was an interesting idea but I had not (still don't really) ventured into Nintendo's newer franchises so found it decidedly lackluster. DLC had the bright spot of having a character that blew my mind to the same degree as Sonic/Mewtwo (namely Ryu) but he was a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing list of inclusions (please bear in mind I have not played a single FF game). To this day I only ever bought Ryu and Mewtwo.

For Smash Switch I'm still hoping for King K. Rool, and would be excited by some of the other villain characters like Ridley, Sylux and Pig Ganon as well. Waluigi would be a laugh, but on the whole I've largely resigned to the knowledge that I'm probably sticking to old mains unless something randomly clicks.

Troykv

Smash Master
For Smash Switch:

-Bandana Dee
-Magolor
-Bomberman
-Ridley
-K. Rool
-Bewear
-Jeanne
Oh? Which Jeanne exactly?

____

In my case I started speculation in Smash Wii U, but I had some people in mind in the Brawl Days that I would like to see in the game.

For Smash Brawl:

- Megaman
- Sonic
- King Dedede (I knew about Smash when Meta Knight was already revealed)

.... Wow, my young me was so... standard with his likes xD.

For Smash 4 (Characters I wanted, but I never speculate about them)

- Little Mac
- Megaman (but the reveal was quite soon)
- Rosalina
- Palutena

For Smash Wii U/3DS (Characters that I also speculate about)

- Micaiah
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Adeleine
- King K. Rool
- *And many others*
I was also a believer that Cloud was the best option for a Final Fantasy Character.

For Smash Switch

- Micaiah
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Adeleine
- King K. Rool
* And several others*

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Geez, I can't even remember how old I was when I first got into Smash. Though if I had to guess, I'm pretty sure it was somewhere between 2004-2005

Anyway, Brawl was the first game I got to speculate in. Me and my friends at school would always ask each other if we had checked the Dojo before we left that morning. It was definitely a blast for me, and it created some of my favorite memories in my childhood.

You should have a word with the rating boards.

All I'm saying is his wording implies he was anticipating the game at age... three?
Well, even though I definitely wouldn't recommend letting someone that young playing Smash, at least it's better than what most parents let their kids play at that age nowadays. I went to Walmart the other day and I swear I overheard some girl (who couldn't have been older than six) tell her mom about how much she loves slaying people in Assassin's Creed. It was even more surreal because she had on a cute little Frozen dress and looked like the Webster's dictionary definition of "innocent".

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Gonna be honest, I don't know anything about Xenoblade, but I do know this song and thusly want it:
Yes Black Tar one of the best battle theme in Xenoblade X....

I wouldn't really call those swords.

At the very least, Elma's are VERY different.
Then again, Rex can be different (I mean very different) if they manage to implement the Blade system in...

As cool as Morag is, I think she's pretty low on the totem pole.
She might at least be a trophy to collect,but even that I think it's a waste.... she will be a very good character to be in in my opinion.
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in here regarding XenoBlade Universe characters.
First off IMO i think Rex and Pyra/Mytha are going to be 1 character.
I wouldnt be shocked if they added another character from this universe - Elma is a possibility but I think Special Inquisitor Morag Ladair may have a chance. As far for a stage i think the World Tree and/or Elysium. :)
When it comes to stage, World Tree and Elysium is an end/spoiler game. I know Smash tend to spoil some stuff... but like I said they are either years later or not a deal breaker spoiler.

So I think Mira... or Leftheria can be a good stage.

My hope in general is just that Xenoblade gets another rep period. It's become one of my all time favorite series in such a relatively small timeframe, and any and all reps for it are A OK in my book.
Hm, but as someone who enjoys all games, I personally still prefer Rex...
Both extremely fair points. The main reason I bring those points up is that the planned continuation of the X series could be a reason for the director to recommend Elma before Rex, even if Sakurai was not given knowledge of that ahead of time.
I guess you haven't seen my reply, we don't even have a solid confirmation on X getting a sequel...

Why not? We've had characters added to represent different aspects of a single series before, like Robin being added to represent magic in the Fire Emblem series and Toon Link being added to showcase the Toon branch of the Legend of Zelda. I posit that Elma would better represent the sci-fi side of the series and the variance of weapons in both games.
Then again, Rex can have the same variability of weapons... if they include the Blade system rather just put him and Pyra in...

Sakurai does not choose characters exclusively to add someone of a certain gender or race, but I think it's fair to say he acknowledges that there's a demand for variety there.
No mate, Sakurai either don't aware or just don't really take that much into consideration.

While this is a possibility, keep in mind that the reason Pokemon Trainer was cut was likely because of how much development time he took with his three movesets. I
No, pretty much like Zelda/Shiek ZZS/Samus and Ice Climbers... transformations were removed because of the limitation of 3DS... if I remember it correctly.
Mind, I have played both games and have put 130 hours into XC2, so I'm not against Rex whatsoever. I enjoy him as a character and thought the game was fantastic. However, with how recent he is and with how easily Elma would be unique, I simply consider her more likely.
You may disagree but as a Xenoblade fan I never consider Elma to be that unique, since well... XCX is more gameplay focused rather than story driven like XC1 and XC2... but that's a whole other thing to discuss.

And kudos to you and... I know this shouldn't be like something to brag but I have put 120 hours in XC1 and 475 hours in XC2... and literally finish everything prior to NG+.

I not gonna hide this but I haven't play XCX but I have watch the entire gameplay and story.

My point is less that those are confirmed and more that the director has the game and the X branch of the series on his mind. That's significant in my eyes, since Sakurai tends to ask directors about their thoughts on characters.
Still, if lacking any confirmation... this still means that the future of Xenoblade is still not set stone.

And many will disagree with this but X having a direct full game sequel will be a terrible idea in my opinion. Because you might get spoiled when playing the sequel and you need to play hours to finish the first one... it would be nice if they just port X and add the new story, similar to XC2 season pass, but free.

Again, I don't think it's the deciding factor, but I think it only has the potential to help the character, not hurt her.
It neither helps or damages mate... more like... nobody cares...

That'd be a dream come true. It's probably the best way to represent the blades in Smash, in my opinion.
Yeah, since you can expect Rex have EVERY rare Blades.

My idea:
Core crystals could be the most OP assist item...
Unlike Pokemon and assist trophies though... similar to the Flag and even the core crystal itself in XC2... resonating it will take a bit of time... so when you grab the core crystal it will take at least 3 seconds to resonate a core crystal.

Once you got the Blade the character will use the Blade's weapon, and can technically use it forever... and you will lose it when you get KOed... just like in the game, sort of.

And Rex will be a bit special... I mean will use the weapon, but... minus using the specials...
Just like in the game though you will usually get the common Blade, a bit rare chance you will get the rare Blades...
Elma can change her skin color as well.
You know that's spoiler so... doesn't count lol.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So how has your character support changed from game to game?

In Brawl I wanted:
*Ike
Micaiah
Black Knight
*Diddy
Dixie
K Rool
Deoxys
Meowth
*Lucario
Krystal
*Olimar
*Sonic
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow
Geno
*King Dedede

Smash 4 I wanted:
*Palutena
Chrom
*Lucina
*Megaman
*Pacman
Dixie
K Rool
Ridley
*Shulk
*Bowser Jr
*Little Mac
*Miis
Takamaru
Ray
Isaac
Starfy

For Smash 5 I want:

K Rool
Dixie
Rex and Pyra
Toad
Ridley
Crash
Rayman
Spring Man
Decidueye
Chibi Robo
Chorus Kids
Dillon
Takamaru
Isaac
Excite Biker

I find it interesting how after certain installments I lost pretty much all interest in certain characters. and found interest in characters I didn't have before.
In Melee:
Toad
Wario
Diddy Kong
Meowth
Bowser*
Peach*

In Brawl:

Toad
Wario*
Diddy Kong*
Meowth

In Sm4sh:
Toad/Captain Toad
Meowth
Duck Hunt Dog*
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Robin*
Pac-Man*
Impa
Vaati
Ludwig* I supported as a joke, even though he's my favourite Koopaling I never expected HIM to make it
Isaac
Samurai Goroh
Inklings
Rayman

In 5mash:

Toad/Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Impa
Vaati
Isaac
Inklings*
Chibi-Robo
Dillon
Tails(eh, why not? let's go crazy now Bayo's a thing)
Isabelle
Waluigi

This time round I gave up on Meowth finally, and Rayman and Goroh may have been a flash in the pan kind of deal. I really didn't have many wants for Brawl it seems. I got far far greedier as I went on...

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
When it comes to stage, World Tree and Elysium is an end/spoiler game. I know Smash tend to spoil some stuff... but like I said they are either years later or not a deal breaker spoiler.

So I think Mira... or Leftheria can be a good stage.
I prefer Mor Ardain as the Xenoblade 2 stage. How could anyone deny those trumpets?

Man it's been a cluster****. Putting this in spoilers because no one wants to hear my smash life-story.
When I was a kid, all I wanted was villager. I always hoped there was some way to unlock him in melee but I could never figure it out. By the time brawl came around I didn't really care for the series.

When brawl came out I still had like 0 Nintendo experience. I didn't even know Brawl had been announced when I played it the first time. I had thought how cool lucario or bower jr would be in smash but that was it. Imagine my shock when My friend showed me a new smash game existed and Lucario was in it.

For Smash For, I actually knew some stuff about Nintendo. EX Marth and Ness weren't OCs and Samus wasn't a robot (who would have guessed!) Pre-release I think I just wanted Mewtwo to come back and only really expected 2 characters. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. Oh the joys of ignorance.

BUT after I saw that Mega Man was in smash I joined smashboards. . .somehow. I still have no idea how I managed to find this site. It doesn't make any logical sense. Whatever.

I basically jumped from bandwagon to bandwagon. I had no original thoughts for smash. Ridley, K rool, Impa, Medusa, etc. All characters I had 0 interaction with (I had never even met any of those characters at that point) were characters I wanted because of some nonsense or another of "deserving-ness." As if Smash was some kind of math problem I wanted to see solved and the variables were characters whose values were determined by what game they came from. The only real wants I had that weren't bandwagons were Waluigi, Little Mac, anyone from KI U (mostly Hades, Palu, and Dark Pit. No, not Viridi yet strangely enough), Robin, Lucina, Paper Mario, and Shulk. As you can see I was one lucky ************. After that, I started to have thoughts. (strange I know. Wish I could still show that these days). Characters like Viridi or Wonder Red entered my wishlists as my knowledge of Nintendo grew. I stopped caring for "reps" and anything that tried to turn smash into a statistics question and left most of the bandwagons. Except Ridley and K rool. Only characters for DLC that got in that I previously wanted were the vets, although Ryu and Cloud blew my ****ing mind.

And new we're here in smash switch speculation. I'm off the K rool train for *ahem* various reasons but generally have a pretty open mind. Characters I previously would have loathed like Impa or Geno or Elma are actually characters I wouldnt mind seeing. Hell Geno and Elma are now characters I want.

At the moment, i'm mostly rooting for no-hopers and a few stragglers.
Viridi is my most wanted followed by Ridley, Edea Lee, Wonder Red, Inciniroar, Sora, Captain Toad, Crash, Dixie, Elma, Rex and a few others. In no particular order.

But, if I don't get what I want I dont really need to worry about getting mad. There are plenty of cool characters in smash, and im sure at least one character wil lsurprise me or knock my socks off like Cloud did, a character whose game I had never played. I already know Marth and Pit are back so i'm sure i'll live either way.

WOW that got long. This is what happens when I have nothing to do I guess. . .
:061:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I prefer Mor Ardain as the Xenoblade 2 stage. How could anyone deny those trumpets?
But Mor Ardain fills with rocks and sand lol. But yeah, and having sand storm as a stage hazard can do too.
And they can also just include Mor Ardain's overworld theme...

As for battle theme, this has to be in:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Now for something completely new.

Remember how Fire Emblem was Japan exclusive but Smash introduced it to the world and now it's everywhere?

What Japan exclusive series would you like to have a character in Smash to introduce the world to?

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
When I was younger, I thought this was real.

Not kidding, I was so happy for Shy Guy lol.

You got like 20 Legend of Zelda Characters.
Luke and Darth Vader. A horde of Pikmin. Professor Oak. Professor E. Gadd & Ghosts. Even Batman for crying out loud... Yet, still one Earthbound character.

- - - - - - - -

Also over to that, who I wanted pre-Brawl;

I was so young during Melee, so I'll see if I remember;

A = Died for.
B = I'd really like to have playable.
C = I think would just be cool, no more than that.
D = The fact that I have to support these SMH.

Brawl;

- Samurai Goroh.
- Geno.
- Diddy Kong*
- King K. Rool.
- Skull Kid.
- Wario *

Smash4;

- Samurai Goroh.
- King K. Rool.
- Waluigi.
- Pac-Man*
- Skull Kid.

Smash 5;

- Ice Climbers </3
- Wolf.
- Samurai Goroh.
- King K. Rool.
- Geno.
- Waluigi.
- Crash Bandicoot.
- Chibi-Robo.
- Inklings*
- Lip.
- Bandana Waddle Dee.
- Balloon Fighter.
- Bomberman.

- - - - -

Also, random question. Would you mind if Minecraft Steve got in, but only by DLC?

Honestly in that case I would not care too much. It is your choice to pay for him or not. Still, I do not particularly want Steve anywhere near my Smash.

No it isn't. It's in the game and was featured in promotional materials such as a trailer. If "spoiler" doesn't count then Samus is a man, Sheik is not Zelda. Porky is not an old man riding a mech, Corrin doesn't have the Omega Yato, Fiora is not Mecha Fiora etc.
Man I am super glad I never watched the XCX launch trailer. Who the **** thought it was a good idea to spoil such a major event?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No it isn't. It's in the game and was featured in promotional materials such as a trailer. If "spoiler" doesn't count then Samus is a man, Sheik is not Zelda. Porky is not an old man riding a mech, Corrin doesn't have the Omega Yato, Fiora is not Mecha Fiora etc.
And people flag to Nintendo for that.... like a lot.

And bruh, stop spoiling other games lol.

And people tend to complain how Nintendo likes to spoil stuff in their LAUNCH trailer... but then again XCX was never really story driven... so even me who already know the story, I still want to play XCX.

Glad they didn't do that this time with XC2, which is a story driven game, and XC2 is easily spoiled.

Same people who loves to share everything about their games like Mecha Fiora.
Well, they never said who that lady was in the commercial.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Remember how Fire Emblem was Japan exclusive but Smash introduced it to the world and now it's everywhere?

What Japan exclusive series would you like to have a character in Smash to introduce the world to?
Joy Mech Fight, an NES fighting game.

Also, as an inverse of that, I'd like to see Mike Jones from StarTropics make it in, since the series' lack of release in Japan really hurt its future. (it didn't even get a sticker in Brawl!)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man I am super glad I never watched the XCX launch trailer. Who the **** thought it was a good idea to spoil such a major event?

XC2's story trailer, people may complain that "THEY DID IT AGAIN!" but actually lol, it was a cheeky "spoiler"
I mean,
People who watch the story trailer first might think that Pyra was killed by Malos because they take her core crystal out.... but... once you play the game...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Not a Japan exclusive series, but a Japan exclusive character.

Lip from Panel De Pon could use a spot as a playable character. A puzzle game character with chain attacks would be neat. And Puzzle League has several games throughout Nintendo's History. There should be a puzzle game character and Panel De Pon is Nintendo's flagship puzzle game series.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
But Mor Ardain fills with rocks and sand lol. But yeah, and having sand storm as a stage hazard can do too.
And they can also just include Mor Ardain's overworld theme...

As for battle theme, this has to be in:
Sure, Anakin is gonna be upset. But, Sakurai won't appease to the Chosen One. I'd rather we get Mor Ardain over Gormott. Definitely agree with adding Still, Move Forward! I don't want it butchered to 2 minutes though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

In Brawl I wanted:
*Ike
Micaiah
Black Knight
*Diddy
Dixie
K Rool
Deoxys
Meowth
*Lucario
Krystal
*Olimar
*Sonic
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow
Geno
*King Dedede

Smash 4 I wanted:
*Palutena
Chrom
*Lucina
*Megaman
*Pacman
Dixie
K Rool
Ridley
*Shulk
*Bowser Jr
*Little Mac
*Miis
Takamaru
Ray
Isaac
Starfy

For Smash 5 I want:

K Rool
Dixie
Rex and Pyra
Toad
Ridley
Crash
Rayman
Spring Man
Decidueye
Chibi Robo
Chorus Kids
Dillon
Takamaru
Isaac
Excite Biker

I find it interesting how after certain installments I lost pretty much all interest in certain characters. and found interest in characters I didn't have before.
Oh man, this'll be going way back. I was pretty late to the Brawl hype train, but I lurked a few sites.

Brawl Wishes:
King Dedede
Captain Olimar
Waluigi
Little Mac
Crash Bandicoot
More Pokémon than I can dare hope to remember. Fairly certain Drifblim was among them.

Then Brawl released and I got a few of my favorites, plus R.O.B. who I loved from Mario Kart DS but didn't seriously consider.

Pre-Smash 4 was when I had things kick into high gear here and I made an account. My wish list was also pretty big.

Smash 4 Wishes:
Little Mac
Chrom
Muddy Mole
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Palutena
Pac-Man
Mega Man
Maxwell
Mach Rider
King K. Rool
Ridley
Probably a few more bandwagons I hopped on for solidarity reasons

Around this time general pessimism around Waluigi made me want him notably less. I also really wanted Rosalina because I thought she was really cool in Galaxy but didn't bring her up much for similar reasons to Waluigi. I also thought Villagers and Miis should be in, historically speaking, but thought Sakurai's past comments doomed them. Didn't really actively want them though, but I thought they deserved it. Also pessimism kept me quiet about Crash, mostly.

I was happy to get one of my two most wanted characters (Little Mac) but was crushed about Chrom. I was super happy I got Rosalina, Palutena, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as well. Sakurai also pulled another R.O.B. and gave me Greninja, who I didn't realize I wanted (Greninja was my favorite X and Y starter).

Going into Smash 4 DLC Wishes:
Chrom
Henry Fleming
Chorus Kids
Inkling

Those were the bigger ones. Gematsu Leak really made me like the idea of the Chorus Kids. Inkling was another Villager in the sense I thought they deserved it more than I wanted them.

Now going into a new Smash game...well, my expectations are low and my hopes are high.

Actively Want:
Celica
Decidueye
Crash Bandicoot
Waluigi

Actively Want, but am Less Vocal Due to Pessimism:
Chrom
Starfy
Henry Fleming
Muddy Mole
Maxwell
Frogger
A legion of other no-hoper Fire Emblem characters (Caeda, Virion, Merric, Tobin...list goes on)
A ton of other no-hoper Pokémon (Marowak, Snorlax, Ribombee, Klefki, Ursaring, Castform, Qwilfish, Trevenant, Shiftry, Chandelure, Sawsbuck...)
And probably more that I'm forgetting.

Notably I don't care as much now about who "deserves" it (though I will always defend some, like Isabelle), and dropped K. Rool for reasons I won't get into, so I'm just here for the ride. Honestly just hoping for at least one of those Actively-Wanted four, and Marth getting his English voice. I'm more concerned with getting vets back.

It's been a long ride, but it's been nice.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
We doing wishlists? That's fun.

Big Brain Hype Explosion
Geno
K. Rool

An Excite
Elma
Marx
Decidueye
Urbosa
Banjo & Kazooie
Isaac
Dillon

Cool Bonuses
Waluigi
Ridley
Dixie
Gooey

I've been hoping for the first two since Brawl speculation (I was halfway through college then, I feel old here lol). I still remember holding out hope for Geno being that one last mystery slot... I held a grudge against ROB for quite a while, lol. I doubt I'll get even half of these, but I have a good feeling about at least a few of my faves making it this time.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Excitebike or Mach Rider? Who is more deserving of a spot on the roster?
Hard for me to say. Excite Bike is a very popular/iconic NES game, still getting references in the major Ninty games to this day. While Mach Rider is kinda niche, I think that character would hold more move potential. Also, the Mach Rider remix in Melee is still awesome. I'd be happy with either being included.

D

Deleted member

With Smash 4, I got two of my most wanted newcomers, Mega Man and Shulk, and was immensely hyped for them. I also got some of my minor wants like Little Mac, and pleasant surprises like Ryu and Cloud.

With Smash for Switch, I'm honestly not all that confident in many of my wants making it in. But at least it'll be harder for me to be disappointed.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
My experience with Smash has not really lent towards speculation until Sm4sh, as you can see. This was mostly because I was too young for Melee and did not have regular access to a computer during Brawl. I went in during Sm4sh though, lurking for a couple years and then deciding that the best place to join in was the Ridley shadow analysis disaster, so I have made some real sensible choices so far :p.

With Sm4sh there was some characters that I really wanted, but it was not a huge list:
- Ridley, obviously.
- Mewtwo to strike back. I was one of those kids who took personal offence at Lucario being in Brawl, feeling that he totally took Mewtwo's place in the roster (he still has his damaging neutral special charge though :()
- Sceptile. Gen 3 was the first Pokémon game that I owned personally and he was my favourite starter.

For this game I have probably given more thought for who I want and the DLC from 4 has certainly opened the gates for possible characters. So, my list for Smash 5 is:
- Ridley, again.
- Shovel Knight. Loved his game and would be a great Nindie rep.
- Sora. I have really talked myself into this one, which is probably going to lead to disappointment.
- Rex & Pyra. XC2 is probably low-key my second favourite game of last year, only behind BotW.
- Elma. Especially if Rex & Pyra do not get in, although she would be awesome regardless.
- I'll include reworks of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf here as well.
- Decidueye. Awesome Gen 7 Mon, more likely than most others, and it is unlikely we will see a Gen 8 Mon until DLC.

Those are definitely the ones that would absolutely make this game for me irregardless of what else could be added (Steve... shudders).

Edit: Isabelle definitely should be on my list as well.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Wanted for Smash 4:

- Dixie Kong
- Villager (gotcha!)
- K.Rool
- Ghirahim
- Toon Ganon
- Travis Touchdown