• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Man and Ryu are video game icons that dwarf anybody on that list though. I don't really want a random Sega character as a "Sega rep."
Not a random Sega character, one that is close to Nintendo. And various other Sega franchises are, even on Switch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC, Sega's biggest non Sonic franchises these days are Poyu Pop and Yakuza.

Sounds silly but in Yakuza guns are cutscene only and all fights are done hand to hand (except for the zombie spin-off but that's another matter). I could picture a good moveset that involves summoning environmental hazards from nowhere given some time.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The developers really should make a Bowser Castle stage, but what would it look like?
There are so many possibilities.
Would you like one that is more generic without hazards, or ones with stuff like random enemies, fire, thwomps etc?
Make it the most broken stage ever :troll:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
The developers really should make a Bowser Castle stage, but what would it look like?
Would you like one that is more generic without hazards, or ones with stuff like random enemies, fire, thwomps etc?
Base it on the Mario Odyssey version of Bowser’s Castle, one do the best worlds in that game by far.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Seriously, that would break the Internet if it happens if only for Ridley.
Ridley would outshine ANY character. They could dropped Crash Bandicoot, King K. Rool, Mimikyu or even Waluigi. Ridley would outshine them all. Therefore, if Nintendo want to play ball, and be smart, they reveal Ridley with characters like Springman, Rex & Pyra, aka any characters we "moderatly" see coming, so that the affect of said characters above still have a chance to shine when they "get" revealed.

Which character would that be? I can't seem to find the original post.
Well there certainly are a few franchises I could see taking it. Some of the top ones being Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, and Puyo Puyo.

Yakuza got a collection on Wii U. Plus character cameos in stuff like Project X Zone. And I certainly remember one of the main characters being in Sonic All Star Racing before. It is also a franchise Sega heavily pushes, it is mega popular.

Phantasy Star has had the classic games in various Sega collections on Nintendo. A few of the newer games have also showed up on Nintendo as well, such as the Gamecube and there is one coming to Switch. It is another franchise Sega heavily pushes.

Valkyria Chronicles has both the original game and the fourth one coming to Switch. It is one of Sega's biggest RPG franchises of the last 10 or so years. They heavily push it.

Sakura Wars had a game on the Wii. A new one was just announced and I wouldn't be surprised to see it announced for Switch. It is certainly a beloved classic Sega franchise.

And Puyo Puyo was on Switch and I believe has had Nintendo appearances before as well. It is like Sega's biggest puzzle franchise.

So there are certainly franchises Sega heavily uses that have close connections to Nintendo and could easily pull a character from for Smash.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I just want some Nintendo newcomers that aren't foreseeable but aren't lame either.

it's the newcomer sweet spot.

I just want some Nintendo newcomers that aren't foreseeable but aren't lame either.

it's the newcomer sweet spot.
There will certainly be both. Like we can easily assume the likes of Rex, Decideueye (or a Gen 8), a Fire Emblem 16 character, and someone from ARMS will be in. But there will also be newcomers that surprise us.

Sakurai has always done both.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
There will certainly be both. Like we can easily assume the likes of Rex, Decideueye (or a Gen 8), a Fire Emblem 16 character, and someone from ARMS will be in. But there will also be newcomers that surprise us.

Sakurai has always done both.
Yeah, sadly those characters don't really do it for me.
Well I shouldn't get ahead of myself, a really neat Gen 8 and the fire emblem character could be really cool.
But they could also just as easily be run of the mill mediocre.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Something I would like to see: Unlockable costumes! I think we can all agree that costumes are a big part of smash!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Here's the fundamental and very logical problem with what you are saying, because even you should be able to deduce this.

There's no way to make a Nintendo or Third Party character in Smash who didn't get in look anything better than a Mii, because Mii's a generic and simple thing.

A complex system that let you create any character in Smash would be next to impossible because take a look at Nintendo/Third Party icons and requests. Very few of them have similar art styles.

Miis are generic and fit the Smash art style. But a system that lets you create say Chun Li from Street Fighter, Wolf from Star Fox, Captain Toad from Mario, and Lyn from Fire Emblem.

Because you have a woman from a realistic world, an anthro animal with a gun, a cartoon mushroom being, and a swordswoman who is a mixture of the animated and realistic worlds.

That's extensive, time consuming, and literally impossible for any game to pull off in it's character creation without having the home-made results look jarring as hell.
If they can't make a custom Geno that doesn't look like a pos, then there's no point having them.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Something I would like to see: Unlockable costumes! I think we can all agree that costumes are a big part of smash!
They’re definitely not a big part of Smash at all. There’s hardly any of them.

However, they SHOULD be a bigger part of Smash, given just how many possibilities there are.

I’m not sure it will be much different this time around. People demanded costumes for Smash 4, and we didn’t really get that many more, so there’s nothing saying it will be different this time. I do expect Link to have both his classic tunic as an alternate costume with multiple colors, since his BotW garb will be his default.

I would also really like unlockable costumes especially. It’d be a cool thing to work to unlock, alongside characters and stages. If there are ones that are especially hard to unlock, it could be like Gold Mario in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, where using it is like showing off your skills. Maybe characters get certain costumes if you beat all the singe player modes with them (Classic, Adventure, All-Star).

Last edited:
Yeah, sadly those characters don't really do it for me.
Well I shouldn't get ahead of myself, a really neat Gen 8 and the fire emblem character could be really cool.
But they could also just as easily be run of the mill mediocre.
Depends on the Pokemon but he tends to pick cool ones. And I see big, interesting, things coming from the main character in Fire Emblem 16. I doubt either would be mediocre. Rex would have a distinct moveset from Shulk and ARMS would likely have a very original moveset.

All I see is four character slots with cool movesets from those four.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Just wanted to remind everybody that I will be collecting stage suggestions for my upcoming Smash Switch Stage Survey for two more weeks!
If you haven't already, drop by the Google Form and suggest as many stage ideas as you'd like! If you've already suggested some, feel free to submit some more!

~~~~~

I have a bad feeling that if a Bowser's Castle stage were to be added, it would be a massive stage (think Great Cave Offensive) full of hazards.
But I think the best approach would be a medium-sized stage where hazards occasionally and temporarily appear to interact with players. For example, rotating Fire Bars that periodically turn on and off, or a well-telegraphed Skewer emerging from off-screen.
That way, they can fit in many of the iconic enemies and traps expected of a Bowser's Castle stage without it being overly intrusive and having too much going on at once.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of Pokémon, I've been thinking more and more that Lycanroc could be our guy. Earth manipulating characters are a niche sorely absent in Smash, and all the forms are popular and heavily promoted. Honestly given release timings, Sakurai getting to see Dusk early is pretty probable but I think Midnight actually still has a decent chance from timing well with the project plan, and a bipedal design likely being easier to work with. Given Decidueye's general lack of promotion, my brain tells me Lycanroc, but my heart still says Mimikyu.

However, my soul says Stakataka.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley would outshine ANY character. They could dropped Crash Bandicoot, King K. Rool, Mimikyu or even Waluigi. Ridley would outshine them all. Therefore, if Nintendo want to play ball, and be smart, they reveal Ridley with characters like Springman, Rex & Pyra, aka any characters we "moderatly" see coming, so that the affect of said characters above still have a chance to shine when they "get" revealed.
Nah, third-party characters are much more hype than Ridley. Do not get me wrong, he would be the biggest first-party character, easily. He would probably outshine most Brawl characters, even. But you are HIGHLY underestimating the hype from people who are not sycophantic Nintendo fans.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still think if Sega got a second rep it should be someone from a different franchise and not a second Sonic character.
Sega already has a second character; the Bayonetta franchise is owned by Sega, even though Platinum Games develops the games and Nintendo funded the second (and presumably third) one.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I also had an idea for a character concept! What if we had a character who used characters from built in DSi and 3DS apps and games in their moveset? Kind of like Mr. G&W representing the Game & Watch series as a whole!

Imagine a character using a Face Invader to recover back to the stage! Or having the parakeet fly at the opponent as the side b!
I've always thought Nikki from Swapnote/doodle would be the best choice for something like this. Between her own apps, the eShop, Badge Arcade, AR, and the multitude of other misc DS assets she could bring a whole lot together. the Badge Bunny is also another good choice for this.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Nah, third-party characters are much more hype than Ridley. Do not get me wrong, he would be the biggest first-party character, easily. He would probably outshine most Brawl characters, even. But you are HIGHLY underestimating the hype from people who are not sycophantic Nintendo fans.
Thing about Ridley is huge. You can't be underestimating the big value and impact the has gained. And all thanks to Smash. He is the most famous smash character who is not playable. People who have never touched a Metroid game even mentioning him in their predictions, video or list based. Mentioning one or some of the following;

1. He is too big for the game, sorry Ridley fans.
2. Sakurai have stated that he is a nightmare to resize.
3. We know that resize is not an issue. COME ON DADDY SAKURAI.
4. People have been wanting Ridley since the day of dawn.
5. Metroid could use a new rep, and people want Ridley.
6. Yes, Ridley, he would be huge. :troll:

Point is. Ridley has become large, even beyond Nintendo freaks. People love memes, and Ridley is one of the biggest, and perhaps the biggest Nintendo meme outside of "My Body Is Ready" or the dead.... "WEEGEE".

Ridley should not really be underestimated. And I'm not that huge of a supporter of him, but even I know how big of a deal Ridley is.

cipher35

Smash Rookie
I was actually thinking about Badge Bunny the other day, he could easily be a great surprise character. I'd love for his final smash to be a giant claw that drops fighters and displays them on screen with the "DOUBLE" "TRIPLE" sounds

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Depends on the third party character in question. Characters like Bomberman and Crash? Sure. Characters like Sans and Shantae? Nah. Remember that not all third-parties are equivalent in hype.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Thing about Ridley is huge. You can't be underestimating the big value and impact the has gained. And all thanks to Smash. He is the most famous smash character who is not playable. People who have never touched a Metroid game even mentioning him in their predictions, video or list based. Mentioning one or some of the following;

Point is. Ridley has become large, even beyond Nintendo freaks. People love memes, and Ridley is one of the biggest, and perhaps the biggest Nintendo meme outside of "My Body Is Ready" or the dead.... "WEEGEE".

Ridley should not really be underestimated. And I'm not that huge of a supporter of him, but even I know how big of a deal Ridley is.
I am not underestimating him, I believe he is one of the only characters we are missing period and have wanted him since Melee. But any, as he points out,
Depends on the third party character in question. Characters like Bomberman and Crash? Sure. Characters like Sans and Shantae? Nah. Remember that Not all third-parties are equivalent in hype.
Non-Indie, third-party character is just going to be so much better. Shovel Knight is really the only exception I can think of and that is solely because people have been hyping him up for years. But even then, I would assume Ridley is still too big for SK to handle.

There are still quite a few big time third parties that have yet to be in Smash. Characters like Bomberman, Crash, and Rayman for sure. Indie characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight who are just as popular and as asked for as those three. Travis Touchdown who still has a large possiblity because of his closeness to Nintendo, his new game coming out, and Suda STILL wanting him in Smash. Banjo because Microsoft has said it is possible.

Simon Belmont because he is just a classic choice. And certainly any character from a franchise that has been relevant on Nintendo at any point, especially recently. Such franchises including the likes of Ace Attorney, Valkryia Chronicles, Monster Hunter, Doom, Resident Evil, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Professor Layton, etc.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
IIRC, Sega's biggest non Sonic franchises these days are Poyu Pop and Yakuza.

Sounds silly but in Yakuza guns are cutscene only and all fights are done hand to hand (except for the zombie spin-off but that's another matter). I could picture a good moveset that involves summoning environmental hazards from nowhere given some time.
Sega's best selling franchises in order are
1. Sonic
2. Puyo Puyo
3. Total War
4. Megami Tensei (Includes both SMT and Persona)
5. Warhammer
6. Yakuza
(source: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Sega_games)

If Sega were to get a new character on top of Sonic and Bayo, my personal preference would be from the Megami Tensei area, especially since they did Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I am not underestimating him, I believe he is one of the only characters we are missing period and have wanted him since Melee. But any, as he points out,

Non-Indie, third-party character is just going to be so much better. Shovel Knight is really the only exception I can think of and that is solely because people have been hyping him up for years. But even then, I would assume Ridley is still too big for SK to handle.
I agree with both, and myself, of course.

Let's play a Third Party vs Ridley. The game is simple, you just have to put a "> or <" on who you want. I'll place some third parties of him to fight. You can decide if you wish to base it on hype or want.

Here are some contenders;

Ridley - Shantae.
Ridley - Shovel Knight.
Ridley - Crash Bandicoot.
Ridley - Bomberman.
Ridley - Solid Snake.
Ridley - Rayman.
Ridley - Rabbids.
Ridley - Minecraft Steve.
Ridley - Simon Belmont.
Ridley - Lara Croft.
Ridley - Spyro the Dragon.
Ridley - Kyo Kusanagi.
Ridley - Phoenix Wright.
Ridley - Jack Frost.
Ridley - Bubble Bobble.
Ridley - Persona Character.
Ridley - Tekken Character.
Ridley - Dig Dug.
Ridley - Boggy B.
Ridley - Doom Guy.
Ridley - Banjo & Kazooie.
Ridley - Thales Character.
Ridely - Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

^
Alright, let's stop there and play the Ridley vs Third Party.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Make it the most broken stage ever :troll:
There are firebars on the stage's edges, and they inflict 25% damage on hit.

Giant fireballs fly in from left side of the screen at a high speed. They deal 10% damage for each hit, and don't disappear when they impact a character.

There are platforms, but none of them are pass through. They all also have spikes on them, and are conveyor belts.

All walls are all non-walljumpable.

The main platform consists of several columns of inequal height, all right next to each other.

The stage also has rising lava, like the Metroid stages, but it deals 32% on hit, has high knockback, and kills most characters at 40%.

Due to time constraints, there is no Omega version, and the stage is unchanged in 8-player Smash.

And if you get crushed by a Thwomp, you'll be instantly K.O.ed!

Sound good?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
One look at my sig would tell you I want Ridley over any third party character.

I'm not even a big Metroid fan - Super Metroid is a great game, but I haven't played the series much beyond that. But with all the anticipation around Ridley over the last two decades, it'd be impossible to not get hyped for his appearance. He is one of the last genuine Nintendo All-Stars not in this game.

Last edited:
To be fair, Shantae is right there alongside Shovel Knight in terms of possible indie characters. Especially since she has been around longer abd I see just as many people ask for her in comparison to Shovel Knight.

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with both, and myself, of course.

Let's play a Third Party vs Ridley. The game is simple, you just have to put a "> or <" on who you want. I'll place some third parties of him to fight. You can decide if you wish to base it on hype or want.

Here are some contenders;

Ridley - Shantae.
Ridley - Shovel Knight.
Ridley - Crash Bandicoot.
Ridley - Bomberman.
Ridley - Solid Snake.
Ridley - Rayman.
Ridley - Rabbids.
Ridley - Minecraft Steve.
Ridley - Simon Belmont.
Ridley - Lara Croft.
Ridley - Spyro the Dragon.
Ridley - Kyo Kusanagi.
Ridley - Phoenix Wright.
Ridley - Jack Frost.
Ridley - Bubble Bobble.
Ridley - Persona Character.
Ridley - Tekken Character.
Ridley - Dig Dug.
Ridley - Boggy B.
Ridley - Doom Guy.
Ridley - Banjo & Kazooie.
Ridley - Thales Character.
Ridely - Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

^
The only third-party characters I want more than Ridley would be Spyro (the not too big purple dragon), Doom Guy, and Scorpion/Sub-Zero. That being said, I do not matter.

One look at my sig would tell you I want Ridley over any third party character.
I guess if you assumed it was in order, because, otherwise, I would assume you wanted Snake and Eggman relatively close to your desire for Ridley.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
This. That would give Nintendo a lot more incentive to make costumes way more interesting. Full on alternates like what they did in Project M would be amazing.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Here is an interesting video:

These are Japanese perspectives on who could be in Smash Switch.
This is really interesting though probably not completely accurate to what the people of japan averagely believe in terms of the smash roster. But if we did assume that, then there are a couple of interesting points at least.

They are very similar to what most people in the west also believe. You got your Rexs, Bandana Dees, Spring mans, etc. They do appear to rate Ashley higher over there compared to the west. Also a push for the idea of steve from minecraft.

I do wonder how far the similarities go. Like Marx is a perfect example. Did they have a huge group of people rush to his support when the star allies dlc was announced? Or do they prefer to stick to Bandana Dee?

I know they probably think even less of Ridley chances than the west does seeing as japan really doesn't care about metroid.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What do you think the Splatoon stage will be like?
Inkopolis Square that wither flies to or takes on elements of other Splatoon stages when the Stage select show goes on the TV.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Ridley > Third Party

That was easy :)

There are firebars on the stage's edges, and they inflict 25% damage on hit.

Giant fireballs fly in from left side of the screen at a high speed. They deal 10% damage for each hit, and don't disappear when they impact a character.

There are platforms, but none of them are pass through. They all also have spikes on them, and are conveyor belts.

All walls are all non-walljumpable.

The main platform consists of several columns of inequal height, all right next to each other.

The stage also has rising lava, like the Metroid stages, but it deals 32% on hit, has high knockback, and kills most characters at 40%.

Due to time constraints, there is no Omega version, and the stage is unchanged in 8-player Smash.

And if you get crushed by a Thwomp, you'll be instantly K.O.ed!

Sound good?
I'd play that. I like chaotic stages from time to time :p

I don't give a **** about Ridley or bandwagons.
But Bandwagons could have a really cool moveset! Don't discount them just yet...

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I honestly thought he was unlockable in melee as a kid, just from the cinematic intro.
He didn't appear much bigger then Samus there.
Since then i've wanted Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom