• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
In my opinion it would be super lackluster if BotW Link was an alt-costume or a different character. Changing the default look wouldn't be that big of a deal especially since they can just add green-tunic Link back in as a costume (like in BotW.)

Tunic or not Link is still super iconic, and given the success and prominence of BotW it's not like anyone would be confused as to who he is.
I'm sure the development team thought that too but look where that got them.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
really looking forward to week(s) of new people coming into this thread and posting the same **** that was discussed in the first two hours.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
In my opinion it would be super lackluster if BotW Link was an alt-costume or a different character. Changing the default look wouldn't be that big of a deal especially since they can just add green-tunic Link back in as a costume (like in BotW.)

Tunic or not Link is still super iconic, and given the success and prominence of BotW it's not like anyone would be confused as to who he is.
Well, I much prefer the classic OoT/TP looks for the Triforce Bearers. If the BotW look is the new default and the classic looks are selectable alts, then fine, but if that's it, then ugh. And how will Ganondorf look?

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I'm feeling its a new iteration. In my opinion, if it was a port, there wouldn't be so much mystery behind it. A working title, no gameplay, doesn't feel very port like to me, but who knows.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Here's my tier list of likelihood of all the characters I think have a remote chance. (There not in numerical order)
First of all, all veterans returning from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U + Ice Climbers and Wolf.

As for newcomers:

A-tier likely (The Biggest Draws):
  • Inklings (Confirmed)
  • Spring Man (and hopefully Ribbon Girl)
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Captain Toad
  • Decidueye
  • Isabelle
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Takamaru
B-tier likely
  • Pauline (maybe as Assist Trophy, but who knows?)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Rhythm Heaven Troupe
  • Pilotwings Character
  • Dillon
  • Waddle Dee (I'm being generous here, but hey)
  • Paper Mario
  • Andross
  • Bomberman
  • Simon Belmont
  • Heihachi Mishima
  • Shovel Knight
  • Lara Croft
C-tier likely
  • King K. Rool
  • Ridley
  • Waluigi (just because he's so popular)
  • Alm & Celica
  • Donbe & Hikari
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Excitebiker
  • Impa
  • Tetra
  • Samurai Goroh
D-tier likely:
  • Baby Mario (Yoshi character)
  • Kamek
  • Gengar
  • Dr. Lobe
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Starfy
  • Skull Kid
  • Lyn
  • Lip
  • Funky Kong
  • Terra Branford
  • Shadow The Hedgehog
  • Zero
Possibly revamped Veterans:
  • Link
  • Toon Link
  • Ganondorf
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Wario (hopefully)
  • Alph (as a separate character)
  • Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, & Lucina
How exactly do you figure Lara Croft or Simon Belmont is more likely than King K. Rool or Tetra?

Dan

Smash Lord
I know it was a teaser and all, but did anyone else think the trailer itself was kind of lame, like they literally couldn't have revealed less information.

winged hero

Smash Rookie
I am back for more smash
Discussion. So far this is getting interesting new character. And a Botw link. Hmm hopefully more to see at e3 or at least something.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Analyzing the silouttes? Just don't turn in this in the insanity that was the analizying of Ridley's shadow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know it was a teaser and all, but did anyone else think the trailer itself was kind of lame, like they literally couldn't have revealed less information.
It was very hype and made me put down my game while my mouth hung open.

I do agree a bit more information would've been cool.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Well, I much prefer the classic OoT/TP looks for the Triforce Bearers. If the BotW look is the new default and the classic looks are selectable alts, then fine, but if that's it, then ugh. And how will Ganondorf look?
I do agree that the previous look should be kept in and furthermore I think Smash should be a lot more generous with skins, I mean it is obvious that most consumers are a fan of cosmetic DLC, why restrict it to just basic recolors? Some might argue that it would be a slap in the face for a wanted character to be just a skin but I think it would be a good thing and would open up a lot of possibilities.

And about Ganon I suppose they could just keep him the same or put his Hyrule Warriors model in the game, considering Ganondorf never actually appeared in BotW.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So the speculation begins yet again.
There's a meme for this somewhere.

But that aside, are we sure Sakurai is back...? Last I remember hearing, Namco was already working on SSB5 shortly after SSB4's launch (I read that here a while back and can't confirm from when, really...).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh that they could've.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Completely disagree, it did exactly what it intended to do. It got us (most of us at least) hyped for a new Smash Bros, and let us know that the Inklings will be in this new Smash Title, and that it's releasing this year. This will keep all of our eyes glued to Nintendo when e3 comes around, and also will put even more of a spotlight on Splatoon.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Twice I've thought Paper Mario was a shoe in and twice I've been disappointed.

Third time's the charm I hope.

Although I quit Sticker Star early on and missed Color Splash entirely. That has definitely impacted my desire.

D

Deleted member

There's a meme for this somewhere.

But that aside, are we sure Sakurai is back...? Last I remember hearing, Namco was already working on SSB5 shortly after SSB4's launch (I read that here a while back and can't confirm from when, really...).
That was a rumor. Same rumor that said it's a launch title I believe

\(°|°)/

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I think it was more of a “SHUT UP, WE’RE WORKING ON IT” to all of the people who have been complaining about a lack of Smash for the last 12 months.

The real gravy isn’t gonna start pouring ‘til E3 2018

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I hope they buff Palutena, its sad that no one plays her.

As for what the game is. I think it's a mix of both Smash 4 and a full sequel, but be considered a sequel, like splatoon 2 and give the game an actual name (like Brawl and Melee) which explains the "name pending" next to the title.

(It looks like Emily Rogers what right all along.)

It was very hype though, that's it's purpose.

D

Deleted member

I am back from the depth! Honestly, this place exploded in popularity and I like it. I think there should not be any cuts at all, period. And we need much more buffs than nerfs. There are a list of characters who need a buff.
#BuffThePuff
You think that's nuts, Shiny is literally five years old.
Oh
I’m a moderator?
Because you are the moderator's heroes deep down my guy.

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm feeling its a new iteration. In my opinion, if it was a port, there wouldn't be so much mystery behind it. A working title, no gameplay, doesn't feel very port like to me, but who knows.
I'd actually say the opposite, that if it was a new title it wouldn't be released within months of its reveal, and that the reveal wouldn't have been so basic... like a new Smash, and all you have to show for it is a cutscene of two Inklings moving that doesn't even look like Smash?

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Just give me a Rhythm Heaven character, Mike Jones, and/or Joker from Persona 5 and i'll instantly buy it

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That was a rumor. Same rumor that said it's a launch title I believe

\(°|°)/
That Sakurai wasn't coming back or that SSB5 was already in development?

I suspect that this is a new game for two reasons...

1. It's been 4 years since SSB4 launched

If we were getting SSB4 DX, I suspect we'd have seen it far earlier in the Switch's lifespan.

2. SSB4's direction changed post-launch, trying to shift its focus

SSB4, I feel, was initially developed to be a party game. Post-launch, however, we began to see balancing patches that toned down overpowered characters, but more telling was that these patches made individual characters more competitively viable.

I'm speaking of changes to characters like Bowser and DK that were very, VERY clearly designed to give them grab followups, techniques that competitive players would exploit but casuals would have no knowledge of.

It feels to me like the focus shifted halfway through development, and I very much suspect that a new SSB game built from the ground up by Namco would be equal parts party and competitive game, instead of "party game with a general shift toward accommodating competitive play via balance patches afterwards" like SSB4 was.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but my money is on "new game" for the above reasons.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Well it looks like its coming back to the Smash Boards day after day to see if any leaks and what not. Time to want Geno, Ridley, King K Rool in smash again. Im adding Bomberman also into the Mix also Dr. Robotnik and Marina from Mischief Makers. lol it BEGINS o.O

Last edited:

nuJack+

Smash Rookie
Literally jumped into this place as soon as I found out. Lurking around during Smash 4 was tons of fun, can't wait to do it again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a port, Smash 4 is still pretty fresh. But I really can't see a logical reason why they would hide that this isn't just a port. There wouldn't be a point to obscuring that this is the same game we already had, at least no good reason. When the Switch was first revealed to have a Mario Kart game there was no hooplah or trailer. It was just... there. This feels like a different beast.

also that logo was made out of pretty BIG flames... a DRAGON'S flames much?????

Hasn't even been a day and everyone's already tripping over logos and shadows. That's the beauty of Smash.

16 pages since the reveal with the bare minimum info. You, this is the SB I grew to love at one point. And so many members coming out of the woodwork. Welcome new members and those returning. I've gone by Zeb,Zebei, and Oni333. Whether you remember me or not let's have some fun with civility shall we?

Im sure most things like the silhouettes and Sakurai have already been covered. But I doubt anyone remembers when I was a mod the one relevant thing I have for this post

The thread poll!

This is what the thread thought the chances were for the inklings way back when.
Looks like, for once, SB had the right idea!
:061:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

Here is a closer/enhanced version of the screenshot I found. Closer inspection seemed like the're looking towards the smash logo rather than the Inklings themselves.

Hope this helps some point out various characters we're still unsure of.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How exactly do you figure Lara Croft or Simon Belmont is more likely than King K. Rool or Tetra?
How do you think Cloud is? At least Lara Croft is still starring in games and Simon Belmont is a classic NES icon.

You could say any first party is more likely than a third party, so I don't wanna have a dumb argument about that. I shouldn't have put third-parties on there so just ignore it. I still stand by the rest being more likely than King K. Rool.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lemme just stick this repost right here
Originally I thought we were going to get a enhanced port, with like... two to four new characters and some amalgamated content from both versions. I didn't think there would be a massive upgrade or anything, in part because I expected the game a little sooner than we'll be getting it. Then it just kept on not showing up. And the last round of Smash amiibos launched at a super random time, which, while could be due to licensing issues as posited, I believe is more indicative of the game getting pushed back past its initial intended release.

Now I believe we'll get something tantamount to a step between MK8D and Splatoon 2. I've always maintained Smash 4 will be the base, like Splatoon 1 was clearly the base to Splatoon 2, but I do think we'll get enough new content to the point where Nintendo, if they were inclined, could brand the game as something different than another version of Smash 4. Don't get me wrong, I think the game will clearly look like a Smash 4 enhancement, it will just have enough to overly differentiate itself. Whether this is an increased amount of characters (my new guess is up to eight) and stages, a new mode, or an overhauled UI, I do think this game will turn out more like a Smash 4.5 than a Smash 4 Deluxe.

This is, of course, just my shot in the dark. But we'll see.

I don't believe we're close to a real Smash 5, regardless of how Nintendo brands this game.

Still believe this to be the case. Still believe it to be a mid-step between port and new game. That would explain why the trailer we received revealed only a single newcomer, happened mere months prior to release, showed a multitude of vets (even if obscured in shadow), and didn't occur at E3, yet it explains why they would create new full CG trailer(s), remain cagey with the branding, possibly have new defaults for characters, and not make direct ties to the previous game (yet, at least).

So that's my theory and I'm sticking to it til E3. Assuming we hear nothing else until then.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
Welp. The cycle begins anew. Gonna just say that I'm hoping Travis Touchdown finally makes it in. He's actually finally in a good position right now for it to happen I'd say.

domriver

Smash Lord
Literally jumped into this place as soon as I found out. Lurking around during Smash 4 was tons of fun, can't wait to do it again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a port, Smash 4 is still pretty fresh. But I really can't see a logical reason why they would hide that this isn't just a port. There wouldn't be a point to obscuring that this is the same game we already had, at least no good reason. When the Switch was first revealed to have a Mario Kart game there was no hooplah or trailer. It was just... there. This feels like a different beast.

also that logo was made out of pretty BIG flames... a DRAGON'S flames much?????

Hasn't even been a day and everyone's already tripping over logos and shadows. That's the beauty of Smash.
Ridley confirmed. LOL JK xD oh this is gonna be fun times again on the smash boards!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom