• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is actually a good talking point.

Metroid Prime 4 is coming and if Sylux isn't in I'll be flabbergasted.

But what would it do to Sylux's popularity? Would it skyrocket? Stay the same?
Prime 4 would have a MUCH larger focus on single player on stronger hardware than Prime Hunters, meaning they can go nuts about what Sylux is able to do or give it more backstory, allowing it to get more fans. Remember, Ridley's second appearance in Metroid is what it took to get him popular as he was a lot more prominent in Super Metroid
Well, I supported "relevant" characters as Dixie Kong and Impa as well.
That's besides the point. Because the lastest system you own is implied to the Wii, you weren't going to buy the game anyway, and because you mention money being a reason to get out of gaming, you were never going to buy a new system anyway. Would Impa, K.Rool or Dixie REALLY make you buy the game and the system? I doubt it as you said the 3DS doesn't have enough games despite it's MASSIVE library

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Some dude just told me on Twitter that Nintendo's SpaceWorld is supposed to come back in 2018.

He says it's supposed to happen in September. It's apparently going to be a 2 day long experience, instead of the 1 day that was used way back when. He also claims that they're considering dropping out of E3 next year to focus on SpaceWorld. They don't have a plan where they are holding the show but they want to find a place large enough to hold 50,000 people comfortably. They also plan on showing a direct the day before. And last but not least they want to debut Pokémon Switch, Paper Mario Switch, the new Zelda (2D), and the first gameplay of Metroid Prime 4. He also said that he wasn't told any other games besides those from his 'source' but that GameCube fans will be really really happy. Virtual Console probably. He also says that this plan for SpaceWorld is in early discussion so minute details will change most likely but he says he is 'confident' that SpaceWorld is absolutely happening.

I saved the best for last. He said that the new Smash Bros. will be revealed there. He said it's being fully developed by Namco with some input from Sakurai. AND he said that the big 3rd party character floating around right now is... Crash Bandicoot...

So, here's the thing. I don't really trust this guy. He usually throws out a 'leak' that is pretty wide. Some of his true-ish leaks were 'Nintendo-Ubisoft crossover'(that was well before Laura Kate Dale I might add), and that 'Super Mario Universe' would have a city as it's hub world(which isn't really true but kinda, and he got the name really wrong). This is the first time he's ever been this specific. I dunno if he's straight pulling this out of his ass or if he actually has info.

Either way it's something to discuss. Especially that Crash Bandicoot thing. That's pretty interesting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's besides the point. Because the lastest system you own is implied to the Wii, you weren't going to buy the game anyway, and because you mention money being a reason to get out of gaming, you were never going to buy a new system anyway. Would Impa, K.Rool or Dixie REALLY make you buy the game and the system? I doubt it as you said the 3DS doesn't have enough games despite it's MASSIVE library
Wii U had terrible sales anyway, Switch literally only has Zelda at the moment, and yes I would be FAR more inclined to buy the system and game if it had something I wanted, instead of everything I explicitly didn't want in. Which was what Smash 4 was to me, except it had phenominal gameplay and I could still beat everyone's ass in it with Diddy despite not owning the game, which feels pretty satisfying.

From this massive library, name games you think I missed out on? The Zelda games don't look too interessting, only Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus where games I felt I missed out on, slightly. I would've probably only own DKCR, Fire Emblem and maybe a Pokemon game if I was a 3DS owner, and would be patiently waiting for Metroid 2, which is the only game so far on 3DS that really impressed me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wii U had terrible sales anyway, Switch literally only has Zelda at the moment, and yes I would be FAR more inclined to buy the system and game if it had something I wanted, instead of everything I explicitly didn't want in. Which was what Smash 4 was to me, except it had phenominal gameplay and I could still beat everyone's *** in it with Diddy despite not owning the game, which feels pretty satisfying.

From this massive library, name games you think I missed out on? The Zelda games don't look too interessting, only Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus where games I felt I missed out on, slightly. I would've probably only own DKCR, Fire Emblem and maybe a Pokemon game if I was a 3DS owner, and would be patiently waiting for Metroid 2, which is the only game so far on 3DS that really impressed me.
The Switch just got ARMS and Splatoon 2 which both got critical acclaim and are selling well. How is Zelda literally the only thing the Switch has?

As for the 3DS, you kidding dude? The library is massive. Only reason you haven't found stuff you like is because you haven't looked very far and/or don't want to try anything new. I understand money is an issue, but Diddy, come on, there's tons on it. Try looking a bit harder. What genre do you even want? RPGs? I recommend Etrien Odyssey if you want some good old fashioned stuff. Maybe some Bravely Default if you want more plot. Both are fantastic series. Platformers? You got tons, Kirby, Shovel Knight, Virtual Console, etc. I imagine those two are your favorite genres. Of course I will always recommend Ace Attorney but I have no clue if you would like that. It's more of an interactive novel buts they're amazing.

Dude I get it, Smash 4 didn't include anyone you really wanted. But it's partially because you refused to go along with the market. You didn't go along with the ride and try the new things made or the old things reinvented. I guarantee you'd like some of the games the newcomers came from if you tried them. I have a feeling you'd even like Bayonetta (I think you like action games and I know you'd admire the sass Bayonetta has). I know money is an issue and I'm not trying to shame you for it , but this seems like a case where "don't knock it till you try it'" applies.

That all said, I hope you get some money soon bro. :4diddy:I know you've been having some tough times lately.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Melee didn't add newcomers from the GCN era, Brawl didn't add newcomers from the Wii era, am I saying such nonsense to you when I say I wish Smash 4 added more characters from the previous era of gaming? Most newcomers seem very new and recent.

Also I missed out on the hype I could've had for Shulk and Little Mac, as I did own the Wii in fact and I would've liked to have played their games. Villager and Animal Crossing likewise, only AC game I played was on the DS. I just never really felt for a playable character from the series, but retrospectively, Villager might be one of my favorite newcomers, if not flat out my most favorite next to Greninja and Little Mac. Rosalina I really like as a character too, same as Palutena, I just cannot stand playing as them.

But to flat out ignore a lot of the core franchises Smash was made out of I still cannot understand. Yeah Mario got whole lot, but it's freaking MARIO... and there was no newcomer for Brawl, so very justified that they'd get 2 newcomers. I would've taken Wooly Yoshi as a Yoshi semi-clone just to give Yoshi's Island more respect for example (am quite certain this would be awesome, imagine Egg Roll with a wooly yarn ball as animation). Give me Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy. give me Impa as a semi-clone to Sheik... Y'know, the sort of thing Brawl did with Toon Link, Wolf and Lucas. Instead they did all the other things.

Swamp appriciate the comments but am not as poor anymore as I used to. I just got adjusted to these new set of priorities, am climbing up to 'middle class' as we speak actually. Working full time currently but am just not all that interessted anymore in gaming. Smash is a whole different class on it's own however, and is the sole reason I was staying with Nintendo as long as I did after the Rare buy out. I enjoyed learning about new characters and franchises and games through Smash. Otherwise I never would've thought about playing gems as EarthBound, Zelda, Metroid, StarFox and Fire Emblem. Through discovering those franchises and playing the games, I began to support Lucas, Toon Link, Impa, Midna, Krystal, Wolf, Ike, Lyn and more. That 'magic' is now absent honestly, and I doubt it's only cause of 'growing up' (which is trap to devour your soul of all your joy and hapiness btw) , it's also Smash's new shift of direction. It always build on this 'magic', which was mostly felt with Brawl's development / speculation time. It's the reason Smash has such a dedicated fanbase. It's the very reason Ridley support still lives. I didn't buy Smash 4 because it's way too much in your face advertisement, and I'm not spending ridiculous amount of money on that, despite the awesome game play.

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
Some dude just told me on Twitter that Nintendo's SpaceWorld is supposed to come back in 2018.

He says it's supposed to happen in September. It's apparently going to be a 2 day long experience, instead of the 1 day that was used way back when. He also claims that they're considering dropping out of E3 next year to focus on SpaceWorld. They don't have a plan where they are holding the show but they want to find a place large enough to hold 50,000 people comfortably. They also plan on showing a direct the day before. And last but not least they want to debut Pokémon Switch, Paper Mario Switch, the new Zelda (2D), and the first gameplay of Metroid Prime 4. He also said that he wasn't told any other games besides those from his 'source' but that GameCube fans will be really really happy. Virtual Console probably. He also says that this plan for SpaceWorld is in early discussion so minute details will change most likely but he says he is 'confident' that SpaceWorld is absolutely happening.

I saved the best for last. He said that the new Smash Bros. will be revealed there. He said it's being fully developed by Namco with some input from Sakurai. AND he said that the big 3rd party character floating around right now is... Crash Bandicoot...

So, here's the thing. I don't really trust this guy. He usually throws out a 'leak' that is pretty wide. Some of his true-ish leaks were 'Nintendo-Ubisoft crossover'(that was well before Laura Kate Dale I might add), and that 'Super Mario Universe' would have a city as it's hub world(which isn't really true but kinda, and he got the name really wrong). This is the first time he's ever been this specific. I dunno if he's straight pulling this out of his *** or if he actually has info.

Either way it's something to discuss. Especially that Crash Bandicoot thing. That's pretty interesting.

Why would anyone have information about a 2018 event? Not to mention it has been stated that Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch are 2018 titles by Nintendo and it doesn't make sense to reveal gameplay that late in the year.

Also, I highly doubt Crash Bandicoot gets in over a major Japanese third party or an Ubisoft rep at this point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Melee didn't add newcomers from the GCN era, Brawl didn't add newcomers from the Wii era, am I saying such nonsense to you when I say I wish Smash 4 added more characters from the previous era of gaming? Most newcomers seem very new and recent.

Also I missed out on the hype I could've had for Shulk and Little Mac, as I did own the Wii in fact and I would've liked to have played their games. Villager and Animal Crossing likewise, only AC game I played was on the DS. I just never really felt for a playable character from the series, but retrospectively, Villager might be one of my favorite newcomers, if not flat out my most favorite next to Greninja and Little Mac. Rosalina I really like as a character too, same as Palutena, I just cannot stand playing as them.

But to flat out ignore a lot of the core franchises Smash was made out of I still cannot understand. Yeah Mario got whole lot, but it's freaking MARIO... and there was no newcomer for Brawl, so very justified that they'd get 2 newcomers. I would've taken Wooly Yoshi as a Yoshi semi-clone just to give Yoshi's Island more respect for example (am quite certain this would be awesome, imagine Egg Roll with a wooly yarn ball as animation). Give me Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy. give me Impa as a semi-clone to Sheik... Y'know, the sort of thing Brawl did with Toon Link, Wolf and Lucas. Instead they did all the other things.

Swamp appriciate the comments but am not as poor anymore as I used to. I just got adjusted to these new set of priorities, am climbing up to 'middle class' as we speak actually. Working full time currently but am just not all that interessted anymore in gaming. Smash is a whole different class on it's own however, and is the sole reason I was staying with Nintendo as long as I did after the Rare buy out. I enjoyed learning about new characters and franchises and games through Smash. Otherwise I never would've thought about playing gems as EarthBound, Zelda, Metroid, StarFox and Fire Emblem. Through discovering those franchises and playing the games, I began to support Lucas, Toon Link, Impa, Midna, Krystal, Wolf, Ike, Lyn and more. That 'magic' is now absent honestly, and I doubt it's only cause of 'growing up' (which is trap to devour your soul of all your joy and hapiness btw) , it's also Smash's new shift of direction. It always build on this 'magic', which was mostly felt with Brawl's development / speculation time. It's the reason Smash has such a dedicated fanbase. It's the very reason Ridley support still lives. I didn't buy Smash 4 because it's way too much in your face advertisement, and I'm not spending ridiculous amount of money on that, despite the awesome game play.
64 was a budget game so Melee added characters why should have been in the game plus some extras, and of ****ing course Melee didn't add GC era characters, it was released early in the GC's lifespan. Even then, Roy was in the game before his own game even came out. Brawl had lots of characters from the Gamecube era to make up for Melee, and Smash for made up for Wii era stuff Brawl hadn't included and older like :4bowserjr:, :4duckhunt:,:4littlemac:,:4megaman:,:4miif:,:4pacman:,:rosalina:,:4ryu:,:4shulk:,:4villager: and :4wiifit:. Smash 4 did the same Brawl did, especially as that's most of the newcomers. I didn't count Palu as one could say she's 3DS but these fit your description. Plus, again, you're out of touch and in the minority. I had money issues too and still do to an extent, but don't use yours to go "I didn't get what I wanted, waaaaah"

EDIT:
Why would anyone have information about a 2018 event? Not to mention it has been stated that Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch are 2018 titles by Nintendo and it doesn't make sense to reveal gameplay that late in the year.

Also, I highly doubt Crash Bandicoot gets in over a major Japanese third party or an Ubisoft rep at this point.
Crash was pretty damn big in Japan iirc

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

So, here's the thing. I don't really trust this guy. He usually throws out a 'leak' that is pretty wide. Some of his true-ish leaks were 'Nintendo-Ubisoft crossover'(that was well before Laura Kate Dale I might add), and that 'Super Mario Universe' would have a city as it's hub world(which isn't really true but kinda, and he got the name really wrong). This is the first time he's ever been this specific. I dunno if he's straight pulling this out of his *** or if he actually has info.

I'm doubtful, but hopeful

Especially the Crash part since he's one of my most wanted characters.

That's the thing though: Crash is actually pretty huge in Japan. The second game was the first western game to sell over one million copies in Japan alone, and IIRC they've gotten every game except for Crash of the Titans/Mind Over Mutant (which is kind of a blessing honestly).

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the release of N. Sane Trilogy revitalized him enough for the team to consider putting him in, regardless of whether or not this is legit.

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
I'm doubtful, but hopeful

Especially the Crash part since he's one of my most wanted characters.

That's the thing though: Crash is actually pretty huge in Japan. The second game was the first western game to sell over one million copies in Japan alone, and IIRC they've gotten every game except for Crash of the Titans/Mind Over Mutant (which is kind of a blessing honestly).

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the release of N. Sane Trilogy revitalized him enough for the team to consider putting him in, regardless of whether or not this is legit.
I'm still not feeling it. Crash N. Sane Trilogy only released a month ago in North America and Europe, I don't think Nintendo could negotiate a deal with Activision in a month when it took Sony literally years to get N. Sane Trilogy made. When it comes to Japan the game comes out on August 3rd and so far it isn't setting the preorder charts on fire, so I'm not sure how revitalized Crash Bandiccot will be in the Japanese market.

Plus just like Metroid and Pokemon that would mean Smash Bros. is a 2019 and beyond title. I don't see that happening since the game would have been in development for 3+ years if you go by the Serkan Toto rumor.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still not feeling it. Crash N. Sane Trilogy only released a month ago in North America and Europe, I don't think Nintendo could negotiate a deal with Activision in a month when it took Sony literally years to get N. Sane Trilogy made. When it comes to Japan the game comes out on August 3rd and so far it isn't setting the preorder charts on fire, so I'm not sure how revitalized Crash Bandiccot will be in the Japanese market.

Plus just like Metroid and Pokemon that would mean Smash Bros. is a 2019 and beyond title. I don't see that happening since the game would have been in development for 3+ years if you go by the Serkan Toto rumor.
I mean, to be fair, it'd be a lot easier to negotiate having Crash in Smash than creating a brand new Crash game, purely because having Crash in Smash wouldn't cost Activision any money (just the opposite, they'd make money from it without any work on their end). It's far less of a gamble than having them create a game they wouldn't be sure would sell.

Like I said, I'm doubtful the rumor is true for a variety of reasons, but Crash isn't the reason to doubt it IMO.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Oh ****, some dude on twitter?! Do you think he knows my uncle who works at Nintendo??

(don't believe any of this. Nintendo doesn't even know Nintendo's exact plan for Sept 2018)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This is actually a good talking point.

Metroid Prime 4 is coming and if Sylux isn't in I'll be flabbergasted.

But what would it do to Sylux's popularity? Would it skyrocket? Stay the same?
A character whose story arc has been ambiguous since 2007 (god I'm old) is obviously going to draw in a lot of attention from both those who have endured that long to have seen it in the first place (me) and those barely learning of the character's existence. All the team making Prime 4 has to do is not screw it up and there's a good chance of it becoming a proper breakout villain.

As for the connection to Smash, I've endlessly repeated that it's always been a matter of time regarding Sylux. Appearing in Smash 4 was an extremely long shot two years ago (god I'm old). But things have evidently changed in it's favor as a character with no objectively impeding issues (no size nonsense, plenty of ideas to use, distinct, fresh and new) stepping back into the limelight and other Metroid characters falling out of relevance (at risk of catching flak, Ridley's a wild card which I would welcome anyway but find unreliable as to surmise how likely he is). There's going to be both a bandwagon and genuine fanbase for it, in time. Patience is all that's needed now.

Does this Twitter person know my uncle at Nintendo, by any chance?

(no I don't find this credible whatsoever)

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
I'm ashamed to say that I have never played a metroid game. However I am not against him appearing in smash. I would prefer Meowth or excitebiker, over him. But metroid needs another rep.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The game Sylux was from, Metroid Prime Hunters, is in my opinion one of the "must-have" titles for any DS owner. Indeed, it was the proof that an FPS could work on the system, and the one all others were measured against.

Of course, it's ancient now, and the multiplayer servers were shut down a long time ago, but I still have fond memories of it as the only game of the kind I ever really got into. Never a Sylux player (Spire all the way) but there is no contention in my mind that Sylux is the character of choice here.

He's very much a sleeper character, of course. I knew him pre-Brawl, and liked him but wouldn't have rated his chances before Prime 4 - but if he appears there playing a major role, I would rate his chances. Moreover, Prime 4 would give him double the material to draw from regarding any kind of moveset, though he's got a decent amount already.

D

Deleted member

I'm ashamed to say that I have never played a metroid game. However I am not against him appearing in smash. I would prefer Meowth or excitebiker, over him. But metroid needs another rep.
Then go play to one of them, and presto.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Obviously wouldn't count Sylux out considering how clear Tanabe has been that he has plans for him in future Prime titles. I hope he gets a redesign though, there are good aspects to his design but there's also a lack of focus that screams "generic action figure" to me.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh ****, some dude on twitter?! Do you think he knows my uncle who works at Nintendo??

(don't believe any of this. Nintendo doesn't even know Nintendo's exact plan for Sept 2018)
Does this Twitter person know my uncle at Nintendo, by any chance?

(no I don't find this credible whatsoever)
Wow, the same response? That's pretty funny.

For the record I don't necessarily believe him either despite having SOME credit to his name. I just thought it was a better discussion than the typical 'Do you guys think this characters possible?' or 'Do you think that this game will get a character from it?' Followed by the typical 'it's possible but I don't think it's likely, but anything can happen!'

I don't really have any interest in going through that loop over and over and over again. I thought this would be a way to break that. When saw it I immediately thought of this thread so I thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wow, the same response? That's pretty funny.

For the record I don't necessarily believe him either despite having SOME credit to his name. I just thought it was a better discussion than the typical 'Do you guys think this characters possible?' or 'Do you think that this game will get a character from it?' Followed by the typical 'it's possible but I don't think it's likely, but anything can happen!'

I don't really have any interest in going through that loop over and over and over again. I thought this would be a way to break that. When saw it I immediately thought of this thread so I thought I'd share it.
I wouldn't put too much stock in his predictions. I mean technically even Smash 4 is a Nintendo/Ubisoft crossover, technically Rayman Legends is a Nintendo/Ubisoft crossover. The two companies generally play pretty nice, so expecting more is not groundbreaking. And it sounds like he got a lot wrong about his Mario prediction. I'd wager this is the type of guy who rattles off a bunch of "predictions" and a few manage to be in the ballpark enough to form a semblance of credibility, when really he's just playing the volume game. That's my guess.

As for what he's saying... I mean Crash could happen. He's not among my most expected, but Nintendo and Activision have collaborated before, and I'm certainly not in the position to know what's gonna happen regarding third-parties after the likes of Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta.

I really really doubt Nintendo skips E3. I know more companies are shying away from it... but their setup generally proves pretty successful there. It would bring more coverage than Spaceworld, and if they want to cause waves in September they can just have a big direct.

Next, if Pokemon Switch is to launch next holiday, which is my suspicion, we're going to see it prior to September of next year. Two months of promo is not what you do for your (likely) biggest title of the year. Especially Pokemon, who generally likes being treated special.

Plus it just reads like a fake leak. Fake leaks always have vague information about Nintendo games yet specific information about the Smash roster.

And again, Nintendo would not have all this planned this far in advance. Games, yes. Reveals, no. They shuffle around their E3 presentation right up until it's impending.

In short, there are very obvious tells it's fake... namely some random guy on twitter said it... but if you dive deeper into it, it certainly doesn't gain credibility.

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
I dunno about Crash being in Smash. Seems a pipe dream, but then again, Cloud was too. That being said, who do you guys think the big new 3rd party character would be in Smash for Switch? We're kinda running out of iconic characters with huge legacies to add in Smash...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Uh, what other system would it be on? Like, the next Smash game, port or new(or even both) is going to obviously be a Switch title. There's no way to know for sure if we'll get a new third party yet, but of course it'll be on the Switch version if we get one any time soon. No other system is in development we know of, so...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

...Yeah, that seems pretty suspect.

A lot of the details don't add up. For one, why stick a convention of that caliber that late in the fall for what would presumably be holiday titles? You're giving only 2-3 months at most to spread hype compared to the near half year from E3, which they did pretty damn well at this year. For two, what reason do we have to think they'd bring back Spaceworld now? A special presentation for the Switch made sense since they were showing off their new system and needed to win back favor after stumbling with the Wii U, but beyond that, they've shown a desire to move away from yearly big-budget press conferences to focus more on bringing the news directly to the fans. Doesn't it seem to anyone else like name dropping Spaceworld here is an appeal to nostalgia to get a hoax to spread?

(Admit it, you imagined Iwata or Reggie doing the motion when you read the second last sentence.)

For two, the list of games feels cobbled together from what we know of, with two we don't, relying on big names to catch people's attention. If we know of Metroid Prime 4's existence now, why wait 15 months to show anything about it? With how main line Pokémon games are always late fall or holiday releases now, why keep the existence of one a secret all the way to September of that year when main line games have been revealed no later than the spring as of late? It'd be completely out of character. To say no less of claiming a new Paper Mario game just two years after Color Splash, despite Intelligent Systems already being at work on a big budget Fire Emblem game for the Switch that's already set for next year! Call me skeptical, but I don't see how they'd be able to finish two major titles in such a short span.

To say no less of telling us both Smash and Gamecube VC wouldn't be unveiled until late next year, despite us having credible rumors of their existence dating back to early this year! And not knocking Crash or anything, but doesn't he seem like the exact kind of third-party-character-who-did-something-notable-lately that a fake leak would add in to seem more believable?

So yeah, that's my admittedly too long analysis of that. I don't have much reason to believe it, especially since his track record doesn't sound like it's worth writing home about. "A Nintendo-Ubisoft crossover" is too vague to say he knew something, while "Super Mario Universe" isn't even close thematically to Odyssey (it does sound like something a fan would assume was the next logical step up from the Galaxy games, though), and New Donk City isn't a hub, it's just one of several worlds in the game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Crash would be straight up hilarious, and it's actually more probable than most think he is.
Nintendo doesn't care anymore about games exclusivity, if a character is relevant, wanted, and may bring some more sales, they're going to consider it. It happend with Cloud after FF7 Remake was announced on "PS4 first", it happened with Ryu after Street Fighter V was announced as a PS4/PC exclusive, so nothing is stopping Crash. Of course, the much more interesting and better designed Spyro gets the short end of the stick once again.
I'm honestly hoping for this to be true only for the reactions from the Playstation Battle Royale crowd. The Cloud one was hilarious and sad at the same time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
it happened with Ryu after Street Fighter V was announced as a PS4/PC exclusive, so nothing is stopping Crash.
Eeeeeeeh the two aren't comparable. Ryu's the reason we have fighting games to begin with, and Street Fighter 2 made it onto the SNES' top 10 best selling games. Twice. Crash's beloved, but isn't game changing I'd say

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Eeeeeeeh the two aren't comparable. Ryu's the reason we have fighting games to begin with, and Street Fighter 2 made it onto the SNES' top 10 best selling games. Twice. Crash's beloved, but isn't game changing I'd say
What about Cloud? He literally never appeared on Nintendo consoles before. And I'd argue Crash is as big as a game changer as Ryu was back in the day, he kickstarted the Playstation basically. I don't like it at all, but he's big.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What about Cloud? He literally never appeared on Nintendo consoles before. And I'd argue Crash is as big as a game changer as Ryu was back in the day, he kickstarted the Playstation basically. I don't like it at all, but he's big.
Crash was an icon for the Playstation, Ryu is the reason we have the fighting game genre. And Cloud represents Final Fantasy 7. That game was a major game changer, as it made JRPGs go from niche to mainstream

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
Part of the problem with newcomers is that the pool is getting more shallow.

There's three main routes I see;

1. New Characters from Represented Universes (King K. Rool, Medusa, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Ridley, etc.)
2. New Characters from Previously Unrepresented Universes (Isaac, Inkling, Spring Man)
3. Third Party Characters (Rayman, Jibanyan, etc.)

Each one has their preexisting challenges (the triangle of relevance, popularity, and uniqueness), but there's also the issue of how people will react to the announcements.
What about stand alone retros like Excitebike

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Crash was an icon for the Playstation, Ryu is the reason we have the fighting game genre. And Cloud represents Final Fantasy 7. That game was a major game changer, as it made JRPGs go from niche to mainstream
How is Crash's feat in the industry not comparable? I mean, it's the Playstation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How is Crash's feat in the industry not comparable? I mean, it's the Playstation.
Crash, while popular, didn't change the genre into what it is today, like Mario.
Plus, Crash 1 was released in September 1996. The playstation was released in 1994 in Japan, with America getting it in 95, meaning Crash didn't make the system that popular, it sold itself on the fact that it had the best looking graphics and sound quality yet

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's financial report for last quarter came in, the most important result for Smash speculation being that ARMS sold over a million in its first couple of weeks, which is a pretty impressive result. I doubt it will ever be the smash hit Splatoon is/was, but I think that's enough to establish itself as a recurring Nintendo franchise. Smash only tends to add characters from new franchises if their games have proven successful so I think the only thing stopping ARMS representation is if the roster had already been chosen at this point.

(As for Crash, I don't really like the character but I'll admit having Mario/Sonic/Crash is fun in a retro-console-wars sort of way, and the new remakes doing as well as they have has this make a lot more sense than it would have just a few months ago)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I call bull on Crash being a "pipe dream". He has significant popularity in all regions of the world to warrant him a Smash inclusion let alone the fact that he's a gaming icon.

That being said I don't expect him to be a "shoe-in" or anything. Would be really nice if he did get in though.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the release and subsequent success of the N-Sane Trilogy really makes a much better case for Crash. A lot of people (including me!) would have assumed that Crash's appeal had been significantly lessened by years of less-than-great games before being entirely absent for almost a decade, but there's obviously still a lot of good will towards him.

I mean you can compare it to another 90s platformer icon we see suggested a lot around here: Rayman. Before the N-Sane Trilogy I would have said Rayman has a better shot but now if we compare them directly:

In favor of Crash
- Has sold almost twice as many copies as Rayman
-Is historically popular in all of Nintendo's major markets (Americas, Europe, Japan)
-Has a bright future ahead of him considering how well the remakes have done

In favor of Rayman
-Ubisoft has a much tighter relationship with Nintendo than Activision
-Nintendo publishing Rayman in Japan helps I guess?

I mean, I'd definitely prefer Rayman myself - I like his design better, and I definitely like his games better, but it's harder to make the case that he 'deserves' a spot more than Crash.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the release and subsequent success of the N-Sane Trilogy really makes a much better case for Crash. A lot of people (including me!) would have assumed that Crash's appeal had been significantly lessened by years of less-than-great games before being entirely absent for almost a decade, but there's obviously still a lot of good will towards him.

I mean you can compare it to another 90s platformer icon we see suggested a lot around here: Rayman. Before the N-Sane Trilogy I would have said Rayman has a better shot but now if we compare them directly:

In favor of Crash
- Has sold almost twice as many copies as Rayman
-Is historically popular in all of Nintendo's major markets (Americas, Europe, Japan)
-Has a bright future ahead of him considering how well the remakes have done

In favor of Rayman
-Ubisoft has a much tighter relationship with Nintendo than Activision
-Nintendo publishing Rayman in Japan helps I guess?

I mean, I'd definitely prefer Rayman myself - I like his design better, and I definitely like his games better, but it's harder to make the case that he 'deserves' a spot more than Crash.
I think Rayman actually would be more diverse than Crash. Also, Ubisoft Montipiller would literally make Rayman for free, while Activision might put Nintendo through the financial ringer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Rayman actually would be more diverse than Crash. Also, Ubisoft Montipiller would literally make Rayman for free, while Activision might put Nintendo through the financial ringer.
Based on what, exactly? Both companies have collaborated with Nintendo before.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of who "deserves" it more based on "qualifications" that we as fans consider, the one that's more "likely" is the one that is more requested by default.

After that, other factors that have to do with the characters' rights (rather than "who has more games, who has more 'history', etc.) come into play.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Regardless of who "deserves" it more based on "qualifications" that we as fans consider, the one that's more "likely" is the one that is more requested by default.

After that, other factors that have to do with the characters' rights (rather than "who has more games, who has more 'history', etc.) come into play.
As far as I can tell they're pretty equal. Rayman is a really popular character all over the world and so is Crash. Though I can make assumptions that in terms of popularity Rayman for Europe? Crash for America? And equal in Japan? Not really sure but I hear that Rayman is more popular in Europe than over here and he's not unpopular here. And Japan is fond of both. I can't really definitively say one is more requested than the other...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think timing could be the only thing that gets in the way of ARMS content.

But it selling a million copies for a new IP guarantees a safe future for now. Not that a sequel will happen since the first game will be continuously updated a la Splatoon for a year or two.

Not much I can say about the subject of Crash since he is iconic despite some setbacks he had in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom