• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, being Smash gladly uses darker terms now, it could just be called Death Energy Ball or something like that. Do note that some move names may feel inaccurate(should I note Thunder Jolt? Albeit, maybe it isn't inaccurate. Who knows. But the point is it isn't a canon attack name in the video games as is).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I feel like Dead Man's Volley would still be an appropriate name, especially is they figure out a way to reflect the projectile by hitting it with regular attacks.

D

Deleted member

Well, being Smash gladly uses darker terms now, it could just be called Death Energy Ball or something like that. Do note that some move names may feel inaccurate(should I note Thunder Jolt? Albeit, maybe it isn't inaccurate. Who knows. But the point is it isn't a canon attack name in the video games as is).
It's named after a TCG attack.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why not make it so only strong attacks send Ganondorf's projectile back at him, but he can reflect it with any attack. That still gives him the upper hand, which he should have, given it's his attack.

And maybe each time it gets reflected its power increases...

D

Deleted member

So basically he'd be closer to Project M 'Dorf, where Warlock Punch was replaced by how you just described DMV, and holding Down Taunt allowed him to perform a slow, but powerful sword swing.
Oh, they did that in P:M instead of giving him an actual projectile with it? Kudos to them.

Why not make it so only strong attacks send Ganondorf's projectile back at him, but he can reflect it with any attack. That still gives him the upper hand, which he should have, given it's his attack.

I was actually thinking of a possible idea where the attack is an initial weak projectile that doesn't go very far that can be reflected with any hitbox. But while it's out, pressing the attack again makes Ganondorf attempt to reflect something; this can be used on any projectile, but it's meant for one of his energy blasts sent back at him.
When he hits it back (and ONLY when he hits it back), the energy blast is larger, faster, and stronger. When Ganondorf reflects it three times, it's at its maximum strength and cannot be reflected back like the weaker states outside of standard reflecting moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

That could work, and I see no reason as to why it wouldn't increase in power given that that's already a property of most reflectors in the game. Speed would probably increase as well, which would also be accurate to the Zelda games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's named after a TCG attack.
Yes, but that's not from the video games originally. It's also just Thunder Bolt's mistranslation(which is ironic. In one of the few SSB written guides, Thunderbolt is the name of Pikachu's Forward Smash instead. Kind of fitting considering its power, but still. Note, the guides are official by all means, but despite this, I wouldn't take them seriously since Sakurai likely didn't name anything other than the Final Smash or Special Moves, and a few other nicknames for stuff he properly mentioned).

The point is they don't need to go with the canon name in any game if it doesn't work. I mean, considering they made up many attacks...

That said, twas not a great example, though. There's probably a better one outside of Captain Falcon's moves. >.<

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, but that's not from the video games originally. It's also just Thunder Bolt's mistranslation(which is ironic. In one of the few SSB written guides, Thunderbolt is the name of Pikachu's Forward Smash instead. Kind of fitting considering its power, but still. Note, the guides are official by all means, but despite this, I wouldn't take them seriously since Sakurai likely didn't name anything other than the Final Smash or Special Moves, and a few other nicknames for stuff he properly mentioned).

The point is they don't need to go with the canon name in any game if it doesn't work. I mean, considering they made up many attacks...
It's not a mistranslation.
The move is でんげき (Dengeki; Electric Shock) in Japanese while Thunderbolt is 10まんボルト (Juuman Boruto; 10,000 Volts).

Thunder Shock is also "Electric Shock" in Japanese, but it's called でんきショック (Denki Shokku) rather than "Dengeki".

The "Dengeki" spelling was used in the Japanese version of the same card "Thunder Jolt" came from.

(This is a reprint for a Pokémon Snap "Best Photo" Contest promotion)

So no, not mistranslation. The move came from the card game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, here's something to spark debate.

Do you think that Sakurai or whoever is in charge would purposely make a spot for. Character who is neither retro nor relevent (vets not included)?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not a mistranslation.
The move is でんげき (Dengeki; Electric Shock) in Japanese while Thunderbolt is 10まんボルト (Juuman Boruto; 10,000 Volts).

Thunder Shock is also "Electric Shock" in Japanese, but it's called でんきショック (Denki Shokku) rather than "Dengeki".

The "Dengeki" spelling was used in the Japanese version of the same card "Thunder Jolt" came from.

(This is a reprint for a Pokémon Snap "Best Photo" Contest promotion)

So no, not mistranslation. The move came from the card game.
Er, the "move" didn't come from the card game. Just the name. We don't know exactly the origin of the design of the move itself in Smash. That's not as obvious as say, Mario's Fireball. We can only say for sure it was the name used here first. It's called Electric Attack in the Japanese SSB game too, so as I said, the name was intentionally take from here. But yeah, I thought it was just a mistranslation of Thunderbolt. But to be fair, it's because by adding something like an umlat to a Japanese letter, you can get similar sounding letters. You can turn bolt into jolt with one tiny change. I also heard somebody talk about that, to be fair, so that's why I misunderstood that wrong for years on end. Anyway, what I find interesting about the Smash move is we see zero animation among any game that could've inspired it before Smash. The only one time we see Pikachu fire a tiny bolt of electricity is(as I mentioned before) in one Anime episode. What's kind of neat is Ash calls out a very similar name to Thunder Jolt's Japanese name too.

Well, maybe Sakurai will eventually give more origin information on movesets. He barely has in general besides explain Captain Falcon was based upon Japanese superheroes and some information on clones at best.

D

Deleted member

Do you think that Sakurai or whoever is in charge would purposely make a spot for. Character who is neither retro nor relevent (vets not included)?
Nope. Though the term "retro" is really up for debate considering the K. Rool Mii costume was said to be a "retro revival" or something.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

So basically a current character not featured on a Nintendo platform, perhaps not even related to gaming? The ballot was supposedly open to such characters, but so far we haven't had any evidence of something like this happening since Bayonetta was the one character included based on the ballot this Smash generation (at least, according to Sakurai), and she was of course relevant thanks to Bayonetta 2. I think Nintendo would have to judge the character a massive attention-grabber, not in violation of Nintendo's vision in some way, they'd also have to be willing to work with the terms of the owner of said character, and international licensing issues would be a no-no (I can't see Nintendo adding a Smash newcomer who could only be in the game in certain regions). Seems like kind of a tall order, honestly.

Unless it's Shrek, of course. Shrek is totally possible. Yep. Definitely.

Edit: Unless you just meant side characters. I wouldn't think they'd take the place of someone more prominent who could get in instead?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I won't rule out the possibility, but I don't see it happening either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So basically a current character not featured on a Nintendo platform, perhaps not even related to gaming? The ballot was supposedly open to such characters, but so far we haven't had any evidence of something like this happening since Bayonetta was the one character included based on the ballot this Smash generation (at least, according to Sakurai), and she was of course relevant thanks to Bayonetta 2. I think Nintendo would have to judge the character a massive attention-grabber, not in violation of Nintendo's vision in some way, they'd also have to be willing to work with the terms of the owner of said character, and international licensing issues would be a no-no (I can't see Nintendo adding a Smash newcomer who could only be in the game in certain regions). Seems like kind of a tall order, honestly.

Unless it's Shrek, of course. Shrek is totally possible. Yep. Definitely.

Edit: Unless you just meant side characters. I wouldn't think they'd take the place of someone more prominent who could get in instead?
You are aware that the ballot was given the official rule of "video game characters only", right? It's the first time since the 3rd party rules Sakurai had that rule intentionally invoked. And for good reasons. 3rd party or not, he wants characters who are from video games only. It's understandable, being he considers it a celebration of games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You are aware that the ballot was given the official rule of "video game characters only", right? It's the first time since the 3rd party rules Sakurai had that rule intentionally invoked. And for good reasons. 3rd party or not, he wants characters who are from video games only. It's understandable, being he considers it a celebration of games.
That was the single most obvious bit of sarcasm and you missed it. D:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So basically a current character not featured on a Nintendo platform
No.

As in we get someone who's last appearance was say 10 years ago instead of 20-30 or 2.

EDIT: Unless I also missed the sarcasm?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

They'd have to be absurdly popular. Like, inescapably, inarguably, top-of-the-pile popular. Because the only instance I can think of where this would've happened is, during Brawl, if Geno had been owned by Nintendo. Then I believe we would've received a character not retro (as we're defining it) or relevant.

Though I can also see a character bypassing a lot of restrictions if Nintendo wants to include them based on their ballot-standing alone, in which case a character like K. Rool might fit under this paradigm. Relevant in the sense of being tied to recency (which sometimes people use interchangeably), not overall relevance, which he has.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yep, I did just see it now. >.< Bleh. I'm tired. Long day, mang. Long day. >.>

Anyway, if you could choose a single lesser known 3rd party character from a company that has zero characters in, who would you choose? I'm sure most know my answer already.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
No.

As in we get someone who's last appearance was say 10 years ago instead of 20-30 or 2.
In that case, if fan demand were extremely high for someone in particular, I would very much like to think this possible. We saw it with Mii costumes at least (i.e. Lloyd Irving, though I'm not pointing to him as being likely to get in), which seem to acknowledge fan requests if nothing else. However, by the time another Smash comes out, there are always prominent characters they want to show off more, or, as you say, retro additions for that throwback factor... Like I said, fan demand would have to be pretty high. ( N3ON N3ON is a ninja! xD Same thought.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth No worries. And to answer your question, I guess Bub and Bob are probably too well known, so probably Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers. :) Though Saki Amamiya is in as an AT... Maybe she wouldn't count then?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyway, if you could choose a single lesser known 3rd party character from a company that has zero characters in, who would you choose? I'm sure most know my answer already.
I don't really want him, but just so I could top everyone's potential choice in terms of obscurity and randomness, Wasa B. from Whirl Tour. :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

My old answer would've been Shantae, but now people know about her.

So now it's Marina!

SHAKE SHAKE

Also I've been counter-ninjad by KniteBlargh KniteBlargh :p

D

Deleted member

I had to think hard about this, since most of the third party characters I'd like to see are either from companies that have already had their foot in the door or are at least fairly well-known/popular.

Probably Kaede or Moriya from The Last Blade series. They're obscure, their series has been long dormant outside of the occasional ports, and even in the unlikely event that SNK gets a character, it'd probably be Kyo Kusanagi or Terry Bogard. Also, I'm sure the fanbase has had enough anime swordsmen; Kaede even basically turns Super Sayian.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Depends on what constitutes "lesser known." :p

I'd say Maxwell from Scribblenauts, by virtue of being less known than the ones we currently have. A full summoner moveset with limitless potential sounds incredibly fun.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Wow, I can't believe this thread exists.

Crazy to think Smash Switch seems to be right around the corner.

Speaking of speculation, what exactly is the point of speculating after Smash 4?
Literally nobody, nobody even got close to predicting the roster.
We were all proven fools. Sakurai is unpredictable.

Speculation at this point, is a complete waste of time in my opinion.

Though, I guess it is fun. Nintendo has so many characters and franchises that it's just fun to talk about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of speculation, what exactly is the point of speculating after Smash 4?

(expecting to be given a warning since people here have a hard time even considering opinions that differ from the status quo, so before you give me one, mod, I didn't disrespect anyone)
When it comes to speculation, I don't expect to be 100% correct. I do, however, expect to reminisce and laugh at how wrong I was. It's part of the fun in speculating.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Though, I guess it is fun. Nintendo has so many characters and franchises that it's just fun to talk about.
Hey man.

We got Mega Man, Little Mac, and Palutena right. And Mewtwo, sort of.

We know what we're doing here. :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Nope. Though the term "retro" is really up for debate considering the K. Rool Mii costume was said to be a "retro revival" or something.
K. Rool should be the next retro character.

If the next Smash is just going to be a port with only a few new characters like a lot of people think it is, then predicting the characters should be easier this time.

Last edited:
I was going to say Shovel Knight, but he probably doesn't count as lesser-known.

I just say Noodle from Snake Pass, despite there being no way he can work as a fighter.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Put Tarma, Eri, Fio, Nadia, Trevor and even Ralf and Clark in as alt costumes too.
Oh man, Smash remixes of Living on the Deck, Assault and Final Attack! I'm getting myself hyped just thinking about it. :roll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still think I win "Most Obscure" Award for my choice.

Like, I'm probably the only one here who even knew this guy (or even this GAME) even existed before I said anything. :V

Got it with my Gamecube for my birthday many years go. Eventually sold the game at some point. Could probably buy it back from the same store after all these years, though. Just to relive the nostalgia.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

Maxwell from Warner Bros. is my most wanted character.

D

Deleted member

Was going to name Red Savarin from SolatoRobo.

Then I remember he is owned by Bamco.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Still think I win "Most Obscure" Award for my choice.

Like, I'm probably the only one here who even knew this guy (or even this GAME) even existed before I said anything. :V

Got it with my Gamecube for my birthday many years go. Eventually sold the game at some point. Could probably buy it back from the same store after all these years, though. Just to relive the nostalgia.
Not quite. x) I knew of Wasa B. and Whirl Tour (was always looking for something new for my GameCube), but to put it simply, his design is so forgettable without the nostalgia, in my opinion. It's a shame this decently imaginative Tony Hawk knock-off couldn't have had some better art direction behind it. But still, an addition like Wasa B. would be so weird to me, I'd probably have to use him anyway. LOL

If I were to suggest an obscure third party sport-oriented character who'd have a similar amount of meaning to me as Wasa B. has to you, it'd probably be...

Not only did I play this game way over the limit of what would be considered sane, but the night I turned it on for the first time, there was a terrible thunderstorm, and after a very bright flash of lightning, my NES controller snapped my hands with electricity, flew out of my grip across the table, and our power went out. Quite a memorable moment for a kid. LOL

But yeah, Wally Bear also suffers from a generic design (for the time, at least).

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I guess I'm the only person to bring up Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

Basty

Smash Ace

Hmm, either Agnes (Bravely Default, not lesser known but w/e) or Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
How would you all feel if...
We get a Smash Bros. for Switch Trailer this E3, which reveals that it's a simple port coming out within three months. It's got all the 3DS stages and Wii U stages in one version, with two new characters, one is your most wanted possible character and the other your least wanted possible character, all this topped off with balance changes on release... Except there's a catch, the balance changes were all determined purely by For Glory data, and it turns out that because of this characters like Dedede, Zelda, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf get nerfed, while characters like Cloud, Diddy Kong and Bayonetta get buffs. Also, about the two new characters, the one you wanted the most ends up being the last character on the tier list, and the one you wanted the least is at the very top.

You'll get who you want the most, but would you really be able to enjoy this outcome?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How would you all feel if...
We get a Smash Bros. for Switch Trailer this E3, which reveals that it's a simple port coming out within three months. It's got all the 3DS stages and Wii U stages in one version, with two new characters, one is your most wanted possible character and the other your least wanted possible character, all this topped off with balance changes on release... Except there's a catch, the balance changes were all determined purely by For Glory data, and it turns out that because of this characters like Dedede, Zelda, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf get nerfed, while characters like Cloud, Diddy Kong and Bayonetta get buffs. Also, about the two new characters, the one you wanted the most ends up being the last character on the tier list, and the one you wanted the least is at the very top.

You'll get who you want the most, but would you really be able to enjoy this outcome?
I'd still buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom