• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If there was a separate smash game with every legend spirit as a playable character, that game would be surprisingly awesome.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
OK... for all the people who think there are no new Nintendo DLC characters...

Do you mainly believe that because of the "spirits deconfirm characters" mindset.
Or is there another reason?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say you're wrong with that mindset, but I'm trying to see if this argument is the only reason why people are discrediting 1st party reps entirely.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The concept of "Deserving" drives me nuts. Characters don't get into smash because they deserve it and the criteria for "deserve" is dependent on the person.
True. What we consider "deserving" is entirely driven by our own personal biases. I thought Piranha Plant was a good choice as a newcomer because it is an iconic enemy that has appeared in countless games and has more potential for an interesting moveset than other enemies. Most people definitely wouldn't agree with me though, and I don't expect them too, either. Again, when I made my comparison between Sora and Banjo, that was entirely opinion-driven and I only made that comment because I've gotten a bit annoyed at the constant circlejerking of those particular characters while other viable choices have been neglected or met with outright hostility, like Steve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you mainly believe that because of the "spirits deconfirm characters" mindset.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say you're wrong with that mindset, but I'm trying to see if this argument is the only reason why people are discrediting 1st party reps entirely.
A lot of it comes from Reggie's comments after Joker's reveal. He said Joker is very emblematic of what the DLC will be like and that they're all going to be surprising, and characters no one expected or thought of. Not many first-parties fit that bill, so 3rd party only speculation is rising.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Originally I thought that Spirits didn't deconfirm characters, but after playing the game I think my mind has changed. It's still possible that they don't deconfirm characters, but i'm not so sure.

The only Nintendo characters I think could happen are a Pokemon character and a Fire Emblem character. The rest will be third parties.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be completely honest I'm not going to predict any Nintendo characters, because I simply don't know who they would add. It's not even because I think Spirits disconfirm anybody.

Really, the idea that Spirits disconfirm character is...based on something that I can follow, but I simply don't agree with it. Like, the concept is there like, "They're characters aside from the fighters", so I get that. But on the literal side of things, I don't believe for a second that the development team, or Nintendo for that matter would be railroaded from adding a character because, "The png. file is already there. ****."

As someone who has no experience with the game that Joker comes from, I was genuinely hyped by his reveal. I was completely caught off guard and I absolutely loved it. It expands the crossover theme as well, expanding even further beyond Nintendo series.

Considering each pack comes with the pick, music, and a stage, I don't see why they would for example add Bandanna Waddle Dee, a random Kirby stage that doesn't do anything the previous Kirby stages don't, and Kirby music that seems tied to Bandanna Waddle Dee specifically. With Joker, we're getting entirely new content in Smash. Everything is from a series that we've never seen in Smash before.

Then, expand on that with Lloyd (sorry, if a Tales character is getting in it's probably him. Especially, imo, considering the Mii costume last time). You add a Tales of Symphonia stage, some music, it's great. Now, by no means does this disconfirm a Nintendo character. They could randomly throw in Celica, for example, add a map specifically from Shadows of Valentia, with plenty of music from that game (looking at you, Twilight of the Gods) and call it a day. It'd be a great pack, and a Nintendo character at the same time.

At this point I just don't think it's going to go the way of Nintendo characters. Save for characters that seem like staples (Dixie Kong, Toad but eh), there's really nobody of substance left. I've never thought BWD was a great pick and that he was overrated, and despite my expectation of a Xenoblade pick, that didn't happen either. I simply don't think there are substantial, great Nintendo picks left.

I like that they started with Joker, and I hope they continue the trend. I won't be disappointed either way though, because this game is amazing already. They could add anything and I'd be fine. Except for Goku. I don't like the idea of anything non-gaming in Smash whatsoever. Come at me.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
So um...

Does anyone actually predict Nintendo DLC characters?

Because all I see nowadays is lists filled w/ 3rd party characters.
Maybe we could get at least one if Nintendo is serious about promoting any of their upcoming games, but there just aren't that many "hype-worthy" first party characters left to add that would elicit the same kind of responses and reception as third party heavy-hitters like Sora, Doomguy, Master Chief, Dante, etc. Remember, Nintendo wants their DLC to sell.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Only for the first 5. If Nintendo has long term plans past the current fighters pass, I think all bets on deconfirmations are off. Including Assist Trophies.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Online is seeming much better!
Only thing I would want for it to be perfect would be to have maybe a different ranked system? But I suppose GSP is fine and I wouldn’t be too hurt if they didn’t fix that:p
The second is to be able to change characters yet battle the same player.

(Also it’s actually really easy to voice your opinion in a polite way and have a conversation/debate with someone without being rude...just remember we are talking about a GAME where Mario fights little squid children and a little shih-tzu is the master of death)

D

Deleted member

On the other hand however, I don't think they're all gonna be Joker tier characters. I think if we expect every single one to be a huge amazing surprise we're gonna be disappointed.

neat.
Honestly, they could have just given me only Joker and Plant Boi and I'd be happy as can be. Don't need anything more after a start that good.

...If I can be greedy, though, Steve please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
On the other hand however, I don't think they're all gonna be Joker tier characters. I think if we expect every single one to be a huge amazing surprise we're gonna be disappointed.

neat.
Joker prepared me for anything actually! I can think some character that make sense as DLC or Smash Characters in general, but I'm prepared for anything! (At least anything that is still Videogame of course).

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
I'm just happy that 9-Volt and 18-Volt will at least have some form of memorability in Smash for being hard as **** Spirits. All publicity is good publicity.
I just did that fight. Why is the Sheriff so accurate... that was insanely frustrating

D

Deleted member

(Also it’s actually really easy to voice your opinion in a polite way and have a conversation/debate with someone without being rude...just remember we are talking about a GAME where Mario fights little squid children and a little shih-tzu is the master of death)
This description right here is why I adore this game.

I'm with Scoliosis Jones. This game is really, really fun! I think I will go play some now after some reading. Still need to try out the whole roster, but I have a hard time not playing as Inklings and K. Rool. They're just so much fun!

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Doubt it’s the only reason. But in smash 4 dlc, every character was a third party, a returning veteran, or Corrin.

And they can’t do another Corrin. Can they?

I mean unless Pirahna Plant counts, being another Mario character as an extant well repped franchise.

D

Deleted member

neat.
Hey man, as long as I get Dante, Doomguy, 2B, or all of them, I'm good.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I believe that most of the first party Nintendo characters left that could be included just aren't big enough names either in the community or publicly to sell a tonne of units. It's either one character that doesn't sell alot, but they make all of the money; or another character that will sell as many passes as there are copies of the game that they have to split the profits on. I personally believe the latter will yield a higher profit for Nintendo, but I have no actual data to back this up. It just makes more sense.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Is there anyone else on these boards who actually don't have Smash Ultimate yet? I won't have my Switch until Christmas :(
I won’t be getting it until tomorrow night.

I sent it home so that I could focus on finals.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If we ever did end up getting a non-video game character in Smash, I'd want it to be Michael Jackson based off of his incarnation in Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Go big or go home. Goku can wait.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
When people use the term “deserving”, I don’t think they literally mean it as if they treated a fictional character as a real person who’ve suffered, its moreso a case of wanting someone so bad and believe they’re a valid pick for Smash and should’ve been added a while ago.

Regardless of Spirits deconfirming or not, (I’m still on them being deconfirmations) I can’t see a Nintendo character happening unless it’s an upcoming advertisement, if they’re leaning “suprising” picks then I expect the majority to be 3rd Parties.

D

Deleted member

If we ever did end up getting a non-video game character in Smash, I'd want it to be Michael Jackson based off of his incarnation in Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Go big or go home. Goku can wait.
About goddamn time that someone finally said the only character who "deserves to be in Smash".

:denzel:

D

Deleted member

Also, can I say how much of a blessing the new Switch Gamecube controllers are? Seriously, these are awesome to have.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I know NOTHING about Castlevania AT ALL, but I’m watching the Netflix show of it...
Are Trevor and Sypha video game characters too?
They’re both so cool...and I like...wish they were in smash if they’re video game characters???

Is this like so off to say about castlevania or...?

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
How do you play World of Light on hard mode? I’ve seen several people mention it but I only have easy and normal as options. Do I unlock it later?

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know NOTHING about Castlevania AT ALL, but I’m watching the Netflix show of it...
They’re both so cool...and I like...wish they were in smash if they’re video game characters???

They’re from Castlevania 3. The last NES game.

Trevor is the third best Belmont. Also Trevor is Simon’s grand father... or great grandfather, I don’t really know at this point lol

Edit: actually thinking about it Trevor is more like his great x4 grandfather since he was active like 200 years before Simon. lol

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

they're the main characters of castlevania 3 which is where the anime takes place in the timeline

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Yes, they were playable characters in Castlevania III

......in 1989 lol :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Also, can I say how much of a blessing the new Switch Gamecube controllers are? Seriously, these are awesome to have.
I really liked mine, but I unfortunately just couldn't get used to it, lol. Too in love with the Pro Controller's design to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom