• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Where did this "30 DLC characters" thing come from? Was something leaked that we might be getting more then 5 DLC characters?
Basically, in the character files, there's placeholder files going way beyond what would actually be needed for Piranha Plant + the Season Pass.

However, this is more than likely future-proofing for future DLC, just in case (better to add slots now than adding more two years from now).

It doesn't mean much, right now.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Welp, I guess it's time for me to go.

I wanna avoid being seriously spoiled. Music leaks are fine, but once we get to the serious stuff that's where I draw the line.
It's been really fun everybody! From E3 to Verg and the box to the Grinch and everything in between! It was my first Smash hype season, and i'm glad I joined for this one because it was really wacky!

I met a lot of cool people too! Like Luigi The President Luigi The President and @Mr. Wario and @ToasterBrains, and @Zabadoo and @Mc.Rad and @Arigarmy and Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman and @staindgrey and @Idon and @TotsBS and Shroob Shroob and @lightdrago and @Smashing Ramen and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , I can't name all the cool people because you're all cool! Except Zinith Zinith ...nah just kidding, you're cool too buddy!

This isn't the last time you'll see me, i'll still pop in here and there, and once the game's out i'll be back for good. But I really don't wanna be spoiled. You know how it is. I just wanna say thanks for putting up with me the past 8 months, I know i'm kinda annoying and weird but you've all been great to me.

Once we're at 12 days left I wanna do a daily countdown thing, where I post a drawing once a day until Ultimate's out, so i'm gonna do that. But besides that I won't be posting as much until release.

Don't think of it as a goodbye, more of a see you later. Because i'll definitely see you guys later! Even if you wanted to you'll never get rid of Noipoi!

I'll leave you with this image. I could just leave like a normal person, but if i'm gonna leave, I gotta make a dramatic exit!

View attachment 179458

See you guys soon, especially once the game is released!

Noipoi Out.

:ultincineroar:RAWR! (Later, Losers!)
:ultinkling:Woomy! (See ya on the flipside!)

:ultisabelle:(I-I hope we weren't too annoying!)
I dont know what to do. Spoilers are starting to get hot. I just want to know which of three WoL routes will bring me to a Pokémon faster. I might desert if spoliers get too hot though. It was nice having you around.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Basically, in the character files, there's placeholder files going way beyond what would actually be needed for Piranha Plant + the Season Pass.

However, this is more than likely future-proofing for future DLC, just in case (better to add slots now than adding more two years from now).

It doesn't mean much, right now.
Ah thanks for the input then.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I skimmed through when I woke up to see the whole thing about some guy called "Xenother", Luigi The President Luigi The President posted it first, but then @vaanrose came out with the ****ing Brock Lesnar-Suplex City-levels of catching red flags.

IIRC it was either Vergeben putting stock in him or it actually was him in disguise. Honestly I don't even know anymore, the whole news was a surprise to me so I'm trying to figure out what the **** happened.

But if I somehow called last night with my memes, then holy ****, I'm a ****ing psychic. CALLING IT NOW, ELITE BEAT AGENTS STAGE BABY!

Stealing this meme if the stars cross and Geno is confirmed so we can post it together

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Since my point explaining why the whole "30 characters" thing is flawed from a technical perspective, let me point out why it's flawed from a sales perspective. They're selling 5 characters at $25. Let's be generous and say that only the first five fighter pass characters and Piranha Plant have a stage to round out the select screen, so that leaves 24 characters with no stages. Let's again be generous and say that with no stages or 3rd party fees they cost the same as Corrin did- heck, let's be even more generous and say they're $4 a pop. In total, that means that to own all of the DLC for the game one has to pay....

about $120.

This won't fly. Nintendo know that when DLC amounts are small a lot of people buy all DLC just for the sake of having it all. If DLC prices get that high they won't have that advantage. They will begin getting diminishing returns as only actual fans of the characters will purchase them. They'll badly damage the competitive scene they've put actual effort into fostering this time around by putting a massive overhead cost on running a tournament. It'll lead to a fracturing of the playerbase. Imagine going over to your friend's house excited to play Smash Bros only to realize that half the roster is missing because your friend couldn't dump $120 to own every character and only bought a handful they wanted.

Simply put it's just not a sustainable idea for variety of reasons. It's really, really not going to happen. Smash Bros characters are not something cheap to produce in mass as hit-or-miss DLC where they don't really care if few people buy it because it's of low production cost.

Last edited:

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice

I wanna avoid being seriously spoiled. Music leaks are fine, but once we get to the serious stuff that's where I draw the line.
It's been really fun everybody! From E3 to Verg and the box to the Grinch and everything in between! It was my first Smash hype season, and i'm glad I joined for this one because it was really wacky!

I met a lot of cool people too! Like Luigi The President Luigi The President and @Mr. Wario and @ToasterBrains, and @Zabadoo and @Mc.Rad and @Arigarmy and Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman and @staindgrey and @Idon and @TotsBS and Shroob Shroob and @lightdrago and @Smashing Ramen and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , I can't name all the cool people because you're all cool! Except Zinith Zinith ...nah just kidding, you're cool too buddy!

This isn't the last time you'll see me, i'll still pop in here and there, and once the game's out i'll be back for good. But I really don't wanna be spoiled. You know how it is. I just wanna say thanks for putting up with me the past 8 months, I know i'm kinda annoying and weird but you've all been great to me.

Once we're at 12 days left I wanna do a daily countdown thing, where I post a drawing once a day until Ultimate's out, so i'm gonna do that. But besides that I won't be posting as much until release.

Don't think of it as a goodbye, more of a see you later. Because i'll definitely see you guys later! Even if you wanted to you'll never get rid of Noipoi!

I'll leave you with this image. I could just leave like a normal person, but if i'm gonna leave, I gotta make a dramatic exit!

View attachment 179458

Noipoi Out.

Noipoi the real one

haven't been here for long but you will be missed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since my point explaining why the whole "30 characters" thing is flawed from a technical perspective, let me point out why it's flawed from a sales perspective. They're selling 5 characters at $25. Let's be generous and say that only the first five fighter pass characters and Piranha Plant have a stage to round out the select screen, so that leaves 24 characters with no stages. Let's again be generous and say that with no stages or 3rd party fees they cost the same as Corrin did- heck, let's be even more generous and say they're $4 a pop. In total, that means that to own all of the DLC for the game one has to pay....

about $120.

This won't fly. Nintendo know that when DLC amounts are small a lot of people buy all DLC just for the sake of having it all. If DLC prices get that high they won't have that advantage. They will begin getting diminishing returns as only actual fans of the characters will purchase them. They'll badly damage the competitive scene they've put actual effort into fostering this time around by putting a massive overhead cost on running a tournament. It'll lead to a fracturing of the playerbase. Imagine going over to your friend's house excited to play Smash Bros only to realize that half the roster is missing because your friend couldn't dump $120 to own every character and only bought a handful they wanted.

Simply put it's just not a sustainable idea for variety of reasons. It's really, really not going to happen. Smash Bros characters are not something cheap to produce in mass as hit-or-miss DLC where they don't really care if few people buy it because it's of low production cost.
I don't think many people are legitimately expecting 30 DLC characters, but the placeholders do seem to indicate that the first fighter pass might not be the end, even if they don't all get filled up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I haven't been around much due to Guild Wars in Granblue, but you have my full attention now.

Spoil all the **** for me, daddy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Goodbye everyone that is leaving.

I hope to see you all return to rave like giant spastic nerds with me on 12:01 December 7th.

Y'know unless they be crashboards in them there waters.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I dunno if this is it chief, but I've been thinking about this ever since I listened to Ultimate's Final Destination theme.

My tentative Final Destination theme tier list so far looks like this:

Brawl > Ultimate = Smash 4 Ver. 2 > Melee > Smash 4 Ver. 1 > 64

Thoughts?

Roberk

Smash Champion

about $120.

Like I said before, I seriously doubt us getting 30 DLC characters. But when it comes to what I'd like Smash to be, a game as a service? I know I wouldn't turn down an extra 30 characters. It's not like we'll get them all at once, it'll be over multiple years and they'll probably just replace future Smash releases since there's almost no point to make a new Smash with Nintendo's technical stagnation (planning to stay with the Switch for 10 years) and Ultimate probably never being able to be topped. Maybe as time goes on the older DLC characters go on discount, easing the cost for new buyers, idk.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Some insider/leaker (Can't remember the name) claims that Chun-Li was cut due to not being able to come up with a moveset for her and used Ken instead but here's the thing. Sakurai said there were no cuts so its probably fake.
Couldn't come up with a moveset...for a character from a fighting game...with hundreds of moves...many of which nearly as iconic as the Hadoken and Shoryuken...Uh huh, yeah, okay..

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So is this the spoiler thread?

Because from stuff I've seen on /v/ regarding the story mode and music that was just uploaded, I think it confirmed something big

I didn't really believe it until the music was uploaded

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
So is this the spoiler thread?

Because from stuff I've seen on /v/ regarding the story mode and music that was just uploaded, I think it confirmed something big

I didn't really believe it until the music was uploaded
You mean the whole light world, dark world, lightdark world thing?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It looks like there might be 2 story modes. One that ends in a boss fight with Galeem called "World of Light" and one that ends in a boss fight with "Darz" or something crap.

Then there is going to be a boss battle with them fused.

I didn't believe it until I saw some of the music uploaded, like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdbmhQfdv1s&t=3s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IauVFQL18xc

But then there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1U0QRYEuM8

You mean the whole light world, dark world, lightdark world thing?
Oh yeah. That's all crazy

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
So I've been seeing a lot **** on the whole thing with Verge and this Xeno guy and honestly It's not that serious. Verge didn't confirm or deny anything from what I can tell, all he said was that he talked to the guy nothing else. Why are people taking that as confirmation that what Xeno said is accurate or true in any way? Just because someone who is a credible source says they talked to someone who claims to be leaking something it does not mean that person who claims to be leaking is an accurate source themselves. Especially when the person who is credible didn't even actually confirm anything that other person said as true. Again as far as I can tell all Verge said is that he talked to the guy, that is worlds away from him saying the person he talked to is telling the truth.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wow, that's seriously a lot going on today.

I'm on team "I don't want story spoilers," so I'm probably gonna be off and on for a while, but I'm very interested in seeing all tracks. I need to start planning my stage/song list. Is there a list of all of the songs in the game? I'm sorry if it's been posted a million times already; this thread has been back in rocket mode again.

And I'd hope we're getting loads of DLC. Anything to get my favorites in! "Games as service" is honestly a great modle for things like Smash, so I hope we're gonna get support for years to come. And Tails. And Dovahkiin.

Enjoy guys. I'll be around, but probably not on the story spoilers page! Until then, I have to try to knock out Pokémon Let's Go, which is much more fun than I'd anticipated and really hits the nostalgia hard.

Ivander

Smash Legend
30 slots is a lot. That said, considering Sakurai mentioned the DLC characters getting started on just recently and that they were going to take a while to get made, it seems alot like placeholder rather than actually planned.

But that said, there is one big benefit of having 30 placeholders for future DLC. Specifically, considering how long it may take to make characters and what they are planning for the next Fighters Pass, that big benefit is the idea of being able to add characters who come long after Smash Ultimate. So we could get an 8th Gen Pokemon as DLC, as well as a Fire Emblem character from Three Houses.
Like if the first Fighters' Pass does take half-a-year to a year to complete, than any character that's made within that time becomes fair game for the 2nd Fighters' Pass if they decide the next characters After the first pack characters are released if they don't decide before the first pack is finished.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I've been seeing a lot **** on the whole thing with Verge and this Xeno guy and honestly It's not that serious. Verge didn't confirm or deny anything from what I can tell, all he said was that he talked to the guy nothing else. Why are people taking that as confirmation that what Xeno said is accurate or true in any way? Just because someone who is a credible source says they talked to someone who claims to be leaking something it does not mean that person who claims to be leaking is an accurate source themselves. Especially when the person who is credible didn't even actually confirm anything that other person said as true. Again as far as I can tell all Verge said is that he talked to the guy, that is worlds away from him saying the person he talked to is telling the truth.
Reminder that Verg also talked to Loz.

And Verg actively endorsed Hitagi.

All he said about this new guys is "Yeah, I've messaged him before".

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, so what's the latest? I've been listening to some of the leaked songs but now I'm hearing about

A missing character slot potentially for a cut character, absolutely no XCX songs and also a potentially semi-related tweet from Elma's VA about being tapped for a project involving a character she previously voiced that she's now under NDA for, and also
Savvy Stylist being potentially semi-confirmed because of internal file shenanigins? I would be all for it because SS is one of my lowkey most-wanted darkhorse picks

Is there anything else that's come out so far?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wow, that's seriously a lot going on today.

I'm on team "I don't want story spoilers," so I'm probably gonna be off and on for a while, but I'm very interested in seeing all tracks. I need to start planning my stage/song list. Is there a list of all of the songs in the game? I'm sorry if it's been posted a million times already; this thread has been back in rocket mode again.

And I'd hope we're getting loads of DLC. Anything to get my favorites in! "Games as service" is honestly a great modle for things like Smash, so I hope we're gonna get support for years to come. And Tails. And Dovahkiin.

Enjoy guys. I'll be around, but probably not on the story spoilers page! Until then, I have to try to knock out Pokémon Let's Go, which is much more fun than I'd anticipated and really hits the nostalgia hard.
EVEN MY BOY CAP DRAGONBORN IS LEAVING TOO
MY HEART

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

View attachment 179458

Noipoi Out.

Bro at least chill in the Social Thread. It'll be sad without you here...

Shroob

Sup?
All these good people leaving.

And ya'll are stuck with this piece of human waste RIGHT HERE!

You're all lucky, you know that?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I am admittedly rather concerned about story spoilers, so maybe I'll be in and out of the site...

Bring on the music and most of the boss fights, though!

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Do spoiler tags still matter in this thread despite the spoiler warning already there?
So is this "Darz" thing gonna end up being the true antagonist of the mode, like how Tabuu wasn't shown until near the end of the SSE?

---

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do spoiler tags still matter in this thread despite the spoiler warning already there?
[spoilers]So is this "Darz" thing gonna end up being the true antagonist of the mode, like how Tabuu wasn't shown until near the end of the SSE?[/spoilers]

---
No
Galeem and Darz fuze

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Okay, so what's the latest? I've been listening to some of the leaked songs but now I'm hearing about

A missing character slot potentially for a cut character, absolutely no XCX songs and also a potentially semi-related tweet from Elma's VA about being tapped for a project involving a character she previously voiced that she's now under NDA for, and also
Savvy Stylist being potentially semi-confirmed because of internal file shenanigins? I would be all for it because SS is one of my lowkey most-wanted darkhorse picks

Is there anything else that's come out so far?
I think Savvy Stylist is just an extrapolation off of the new song that it got, I mean it had songs in the last game too and it didn't really mean anything. But honestly Savvy Stylist would be the greatest addition of all time, second only to Cooking Mama, so I hope it happens anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom