• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Overwatch blew up hella fast and has abilities other FPS don't have. I could see Tracer, but is it too soon. Also you know there's the fact it's never been on a Nintendo system.

Tracer certainly already seems to be considered a gaming icon though. She's been in two movies, she's everywhere when FPSes come up, etc.

Morbi

Scavenger
Overwatch blew up hella fast and has abilities other FPS don't have. I could see Tracer, but is it too soon. Also you know there's the fact it's never been on a Nintendo system.

Tracer certainly already seems to be considered a gaming icon though. She's been in two movies, she's everywhere when FPSes come up, etc.
A Winston Donkey Kong skin would be sick; however, a lot of people believe Doom Guy could fit that niche you were talking about earlier. Master Chief is obviously more ideal, but, well, since we do not yet have Banjo, I am not holding my breath.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why is everyone so certain the 3rd Party reps will be so heavy this time around?
It is because there are so few feasible first-party characters left. Third-party characters are going to be the only way to drum up excitement beyond Ridley, King K. Rool and... Waluigi. Clearly a titan tier first-party candidate leading the pack, am I right?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Wait until it's announced at E3 we're getting an Overwatch story spinoff.

I always ask Bomberman (or Simon Belmont) supporters if they assume Snake is returning. Because, if not, the prediction is as impractical as it gets. If so, well, it seems like wishful thinking.
He is there but not Top 5 I don't think. But in general it is hard to predict Konami. I say Bomberman because of his closeness to Nintendo which was the deciding factor in my list.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The main problem with a First Person shooter rep is? How do you get the point across they're from a first person shooter in a third person fighting game?

You can't simply just say ''Well....guns." either.

Morbi

Scavenger
The main problem with a First Person shooter rep is? How do you get the point across they're from a first person shooter in a third person fighting game?

You can't simply just say ''Well....guns." either.
Just add an ADS mechanic. :troll:

In all seriousness, you could just have them use a final smash similar to Snake. It is not as though the first person nature needs to be thoroughly represented. As long as they are primarily shooting, I am sure your audience will discern the point.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It is because there are so few feasible first-party characters left. Third-party characters are going to be the only way to drum up excitement beyond Ridley, King K. Rool and... Waluigi. Clearly a titan tier first-party candidate leading the pack, am I right?
Even then, I don't think we'll get so many new 3rd Party. I think 2-3 is just enough. I feel like the 3rd Party reps should never outnumber the number of reps Mario has.

I don't know. It's just something in my head that would make me feel like it's not a celebration of Nintendo gaming anymore. I know Smash is a celebration of all gaming with a focus on Nintendo. Too many 3rd parties would just sully the roster for me. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just add an ADS mechanic. :troll:

In all seriousness, you could just have them use a final smash similar to Snake. It is not as though the first person nature needs to be thoroughly represented. As long as they are primarily shooting, I am sure your audience will discern the point.
But then what makes them different from Fox/Falco, Bayonetta, and soon to be Inklings? They all use ''guns" or guns in their move set. Bayonetta especially primarily has her guns in most of her moves.

It's a prominent gaming genre that should be represented, but it's just really hard to get down the specialness of that genre if you just simply add a character from one and have them ''shoot" a lot.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I was going to type something about Contra making an appearance as a shooter character bc they'd fit Smash well as opposed to an FPS character, but then its owned by Konami, so never mind. Bomberman and Snake are both probably more likely as a character borrowed from those guys.

I thought I had a good idea, but Konami came through to disappoint me again...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd disagree on that assessment of "feasible" 1st party characters. The three you mentioned would generate the most hype but a lack of hype never stopped anyone getting into Smash

:gawmelee:(Almost an OC when you think about it)
:roymelee:(Litterally his debut)
:wolf:(at least in comparison to western support [and hatred] for Krystal at the time)
:rob:(Oh, the abuse this one took...)
:4wiifit:(nuff said)

Heck, with WFT, the hype was from how unexpected she was. (so, not exactly "nuff said" but it is now.)

I don't dispute that 3rd parties bring the hype but I think one big one will do the trick over several moderate ones: be it an indie, a former PS mascot or a current captive of Bill Gates.

Morbi

Scavenger
But then what makes them different from Fox/Falco, Bayonetta, and soon to be Inklings? They all use ''guns" or guns in their move set. Bayonetta especially primarily has her guns in most of her moves.

It's a prominent gaming genre that should be represented, but it's just really hard to get down the specialness of that genre if you just simply add a character from one and have them ''shoot" a lot.
The types of gun, fam. I do not see Fox pulling out an M16 or Bayonetta packing a double barrel. Can the Inkling's quick-scope? Probably, honestly. Not really my point, however. First person shooters are not known for their laser pistols or fully automatic revolvers shooting paper replicas of 9mm rounds, that I can promise you. Snake is a much better representative with his rockets and Sakurai was purposely avoiding realistic weapons.

Master Chief has that laser sword and pink lock-on needle gun. Those are pretty iconic relative to a generic blaster or some arts and crafts pistols strapped to the *****'s legs. They are not indicative of shooters whatsoever and there is a reason, their games are not shooting games.

D

Deleted member

If the Metroid series consisted only or primarily of the Prime games, then I might've argued that :4samus: was our "FPS rep". But that's not the case.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If the Metroid series consisted only or primarily of the Prime games, then I might've argued that :4samus: was our "FPS rep". But that's not the case.
What if DARK Samus or Sylux got in?

(I guess they'd need to make use of FPS mechanics to be fair)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why is everyone so certain the 3rd Party reps will be so heavy this time around?
I think what he mean is in comparison, third party are way more profitable for Nintendo than "classic" nintendo characters.
I think we're ARE reaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of ACTUALLY WIDE MARKETABLE appeal first party characters that even soccer mom can know and that you can put on the box so they recognize the characters like "OH It's Pack-man/Megaman/Mario/Pikachu/Zelda (but it's in fact Link)/ Sonic"

Of course, we will always get surprise pick, and classic characters, but we shouldn't be surprised if Nintendo start to look around third parties more and more. Especially to appeal to the more "hardcore gamer" public that seems to be the target of the switch, compared to the way more familial and casual public from the Wii/Wii U

Let's be honest, a lot of CASUAL or NOT HARDCORE ninten do fan actually asks for third party, because for them they see Smash Bros like an actual cross-over, especially since brawl with Sonic and Snake, than a Nintendo crossover.

Third parties ACTUALLY create more worldwide hype than classic characters. JUST Look at Snake/ Sonic/Cloud breaking the Internet or the MEGAMAN THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOOOOOT at his announcement, or the fact that the Pac-Man Trailer actually played with the fact he was the video game grand-dad and thanks to him, make the first WORLDWIDE video game icon match-up possible with Mario/Megaman/Sonic/Pac-man.

Or just Cloud...I'll just leave that here. Cloud. Nothing more to be said. NO ONE saw it coming, and I voted for him in the ballot as a joke since I got Roy already.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
More proof that Nintendo need to reboot, retune, & redefine their their IPs.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's been posted but has he explained further yet?
His only other tweet about this subject is just "confirming" that Smash Switch will be a whole new game.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Marcus Sellers is wrong 95% of the time, and the 5% of the time he is right he pulled a Wall Clock (only right twice a day because it's required)

My Newcomer Want List as I see it now:
1 - Ridley
2 - Banjo-Kazooie
3 - Impa
4 - Bomberman
5 - Captain Toad
6 - Cranky Kong
7 - Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising)
8 - Waluigi
9 - Isaac (Golden Sun)
10 - Dark Samus

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I was thinking, seeing that some people are rooting for Cranky Kong, why are they? I thought...

Then it actually hits me. He got canes, and could have the famous pogo stick move we all want... What other character utulize such a move? Shovel Knight. Now I'm actually considering Team Cranky over Shovel Knight. Is that weird? I mean, Cranky Kong IS a Nintendo first party character, and have had a playable role in Tropical Freeze, also, it does not matter, but he would be our first old-guy in Smash. Why not?

Still, I will always have my Crock and Swhirling Monkey Businiss as my first 2 DK Reps. I just don't see indies any likely UNTIL one actually takes part, and if that's the case, Shovel Knight would be awesome.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
"Third parties will be heavily represented" doesn't even necessarily mean playable characters. Probably what he was going for though.

"Heavy" is relative and "representation" is ambiguous.

There are plenty of iconic and justifiable third party characters I would welcome. Cloud makes me a little uncomfortable but is fine and hopeful any future inclusions are not much more controversial than him.

I just hope the majority of newcomers are still 1st party.

A new assist trophy like item exclusively full of third party characters would be really cool for characters that are popular but don't really belong in the roster (subjectively speaking). Or more promotional Mii costumes.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I think what he mean is in comparison, third party are way more profitable for Nintendo than "classic" nintendo characters.
I think we're ARE reaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of ACTUALLY WIDE MARKETABLE appeal first party characters that even soccer mom can know and that you can put on the box so they recognize the characters like "OH It's Pack-man/Megaman/Mario/Pikachu/Zelda (but it's in fact Link)/ Sonic"

Of course, we will always get surprise pick, and classic characters, but we shouldn't be surprised if Nintendo start to look around third parties more and more. Especially to appeal to the more "hardcore gamer" public that seems to be the target of the switch, compared to the way more familial and casual public from the Wii/Wii U

Let's be honest, a lot of CASUAL or NOT HARDCORE ninten do fan actually asks for third party, because for them they see Smash Bros like an actual cross-over, especially since brawl with Sonic and Snake, than a Nintendo crossover.

Third parties ACTUALLY create more worldwide hype than classic characters. JUST Look at Snake/ Sonic/Cloud breaking the Internet or the MEGAMAN THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOOOOOT at his announcement, or the fact that the Pac-Man Trailer actually played with the fact he was the video game grand-dad and thanks to him, make the first WORLDWIDE video game icon match-up possible with Mario/Megaman/Sonic/Pac-man.

Or just Cloud...I'll just leave that here. Cloud. Nothing more to be said. NO ONE saw it coming, and I voted for him in the ballot as a joke since I got Roy already.
I see what you’re getting at, and I agree. I just can’t see some of the third parties being suggested. It’s just me in my own head, I know. It’s bias. I just don’t think Crash, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and characters like that have the same “star power” as Sonic, Megaman, Pac Man, Ryu, and Cloud. Like you were saying, EVERYONE, knows who they are. I don’t know. The only 3rd party I that I think deserves a spot is someone like Snake or Sora (from Kingdom Hearts.) Kingdom Hearts is extremely popular, but I know they have the Disney hurdle to jump over. With Nintendo doing the whole Universal Studio thing, I doubt Disney will let them use Sora. But could you imagine if Sora got into smash?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I'm not so sure about the whole "star power" bit to new 3rd parties for Smash Switch but I will say that I think Travis Touchdown, Crash and Bomberman are the most likely.

Remember when we said that about Wolf? Exactly. We shouldn't really make too many "safe bets", cause we've been burned before.
Plus, in this case it'd be freezer burn and that'd be nasty.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hey, I made one of those bingo things!

I tried to pick only likely characters (and Lycanroc, who is the least likely on here)

To be honest, Lycanroc is probably more likely then people give it credit for. Decidueye is by far the most popular choice among the Smash fandom, but a lot of people tend to forget it's still one of the most promoted Pokémon from the generation and one of the most popular among the general Pokémon fanbase as a whole. It has its own merits that can push it to being made a playable character, it just tends to be overlooked since there's another Pokémon that we've rallied behind.

Remember when we said that about Wolf? Exactly. We shouldn't really make too many "safe bets", cause we've been burned before.
In retrospect, Smash 4 in general really blindsided us due to our thoughts on safe bets. Thinking about it, the only characters we really got were Shulk, Little Mac, Mega Man, and Palutena. Maybe Bowser Jr., but at the time most of us wrote him off due to Rosalina being confirmed. DLC was even worse since the only character I think some got was Mewtwo, and even then there was the debate of whether we'd even get DLC in the first place.

It honestly makes me wonder how some of our 'shoo-ins' will fare this time around, we could be in for a few more surprises.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The only characters I'm going to put my confidence in are Rex, Isabelle and Bandana Waddle Dee.

I know to some people these are weird picks but I just can feel it in my bones

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Just thought of something...

No region lock on Switch. Japanese language settings. Felicia.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm late to the party because this thread moves so fast at times, but here's my list:

1. Ridley
2. K Rool
3. Dixie
4. Isaac
5. Bandana Dee
6. Rayman
7. Waluigi

I guess that's it. I'm more concerned about getting Wolf and Ice Climbers back. I also want no cuts from WiiU/3ds.

I also don't want Link and Zelda to change. I like them the way they are. I know I'm in the minority on that.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Feels a little light on the 'leaks' side, tbh.

That thing from Sellars is so vague he can basically say he was right about everything he mentioned as long as it was in the ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom